shape
carat
color
clarity

Vintage Ring - Can anyone help with some identification info?

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hello all,

I'm trying to find out some information about a Vintage ring and cannot seem to find anything anywhere on it. Hoping someone can help me. It's a great item but I'd love to know some of the history behind it.

The hallmarks show a little star with 800 next to it, another one that looks like a 'K' and another that looks like maybe an 'IRE'...

Only info I have on it is that it was supplied by someone who deals with vintage jewellery in the Ukraine & the following description.

Pictures attached. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated! (I believe the leaves on the side actually look more like Oak leaves than olive leaves though)

WWII Era Russian Military Ring

Vintage from the 1940s
Material
Silver
Size
11 US
Interesting WWII era Russian Ring depicting a bear on face of ring and olive leaves on each side of ring shank. Ring is in outstanding unworn condition.

800 Silver
Size - 11

18 Grams

Ring Face Measures 3/4” x 1/2
il_794xN.1779925698_lf32.jpg il_794xN.1779925732_7692.jpg il_794xN.1827387501_65rd.jpg il_794xN.1827387569_8bdn.jpg il_794xN.1827387717_a3mg.jpg il_794xN.1827387785_26ti.jpg il_794xN.1827387837_h9eo.jpg il_794xN.1827387893_3ceg.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a cool ring! I'm not going to be much help, but I will say that they are not olive leaves on the shoulders - they actually look like an oak leaf. I can also see what I think are two small acorns to either side of those, just before the head of the ring?

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Thanks! Yeah it's a great ring, I'd just love to know a bit about the history or where it may have come from. I cant find anything on it or any similar rings.

And re the leaves, totally agree with you there, oak leaves for sure :)

Hopefully someone night have a bit of an insight into the background

Last edited:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks! Yeah it's a great ring but id just love to know a bit about the history or where it may have come from. I cant find anything on it.

And re the leaves, totally agree with you there, oak leaves for sure :)

Hopefully someone night have a bit of an insight into the background

I shall be following, as I'm curious too!

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
I shall be following, as I'm curious too!

Cool! Wasn't sure if I'd posted this in the right place but we will see :)

CaseyLouLou

Brilliant_Rock
No clue but looks very cool - kind of gothic or regal?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hello all,

I'm trying to find out some information about a Vintage ring and cannot seem to find anything anywhere on it. Hoping someone can help me. It's a great item but I'd love to know some of the history behind it.

The hallmarks show a little star with 800 next to it, another one that looks like a 'K' and another that looks like maybe an 'IRE'...

Only info I have on it is that it was supplied by someone who deals with vintage jewellery in the Ukraine & the following description.

Pictures attached. Any help or insights would be greatly appreciated! (I believe the leaves on the side actually look more like Oak leaves than olive leaves though)

WWII Era Russian Military Ring

Vintage from the 1940s
Material
Silver
Size
11 US
Interesting WWII era Russian Ring depicting a bear on face of ring and olive leaves on each side of ring shank. Ring is in outstanding unworn condition.

800 Silver
Size - 11

18 Grams

Ring Face Measures 3/4” x 1/2
il_794xN.1779925698_lf32.jpg il_794xN.1779925732_7692.jpg il_794xN.1827387501_65rd.jpg il_794xN.1827387569_8bdn.jpg il_794xN.1827387717_a3mg.jpg il_794xN.1827387785_26ti.jpg il_794xN.1827387837_h9eo.jpg il_794xN.1827387893_3ceg.jpg

Let me bump this for you
Its an awsome ring

paperunicorn

Shiny_Rock
Hi @Rjenks !

I've done some research, and from what I was able to find, it seems that the Russian army did not use oak leaves in their military uniforms during WWII; in addition, due to the communist ideals of eliminating differentiation between soldiers, it's somewhat unlikely that they would have promoted or allowed much in the way of battlefield jewelry. I think it's more likely that your ring is a German item, although it's possible it's a Russian item from earlier, as it seems the Red army did use oak leaves in their insignia from 1918-approx 1922.

From what I can tell, the lion seems to be a symbol of officerhood; there are a lot of "WW2 german officer's swords" with lion head detailing. So it would seem that this is a WW2 German officer's ring, possibly given in honor of promotion, although I'm afraid I can't give any more detail than that. Hope that helps!

eta: If you post a picture of the hallmark that might give a better idea of whether the item is Russian as well, as a Russian hallmark would probably be stamped in Cyrillic.

Strike all of the above! I found a picture of your ring on an old Etsy listing. This one says it's from the 1970s, and bears hallmarks for Soviet Russia and Latvia: https://www.etsy.com/listing/684659...silver-male-ring?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1 Notable that it is a higher grade silver, though still not sterling. I'm going to do a bit more searching.

Last edited:

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi @Rjenks !

I've done some research, and from what I was able to find, it seems that the Russian army did not use oak leaves in their military uniforms during WWII; in addition, due to the communist ideals of eliminating differentiation between soldiers, it's somewhat unlikely that they would have promoted or allowed much in the way of battlefield jewelry. I think it's more likely that your ring is a German item, although it's possible it's a Russian item from earlier, as it seems the Red army did use oak leaves in their insignia from 1918-approx 1922.

From what I can tell, the lion seems to be a symbol of officerhood; there are a lot of "WW2 german officer's swords" with lion head detailing. So it would seem that this is a WW2 German officer's ring, possibly given in honor of promotion, although I'm afraid I can't give any more detail than that. Hope that helps!

eta: If you post a picture of the hallmark that might give a better idea of whether the item is Russian as well, as a Russian hallmark would probably be stamped in Cyrillic.

Strike all of the above! I found a picture of your ring on an old Etsy listing. This one says it's from the 1970s, and bears hallmarks for Soviet Russia and Latvia: https://www.etsy.com/listing/684659...silver-male-ring?show_sold_out_detail=1&frs=1 Notable that it is a higher grade silver, though still not sterling. I'm going to do a bit more searching.

Wow thank you so much for all of the help on this! The hallmarks do look very similar to the ones on that other ring. Apart from mine has one with a star in it.

It's difficult to get an image of the hallmarks as they are on the outside of the ring and somewhat worn down but I'll do my best and post it in here.

Thanks again for all the research here, amazed you found another so similar! I could not find one anywhere.

Please let me know if you find anything else! Would love to know what sort of value might be attributed to it too. Either way, it's a very cool ring, just keen to understand a bit more of the history behind it :)

Thanks again!

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
I will be able to give you a difinitive date on the ring if you post clear marks.

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Perfect, thanks.
The ring is 39 years old, from 1981. And yes, manufactured in what is now Riga, Latvia.
I love it, by the way!

Cool - Thanks for that!

Can I ask where you found that information on the hallmarks?

Any idea what these sorts of rings are worth?

And thanks, me too, it's one I wear daily at the moment :)

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
Cool - Thanks for that!

Can I ask where you found that information on the hallmarks?

Any idea what these sorts of rings are worth?

And thanks, me too, it's one I wear daily at the moment :)

Ive handled a lot of Russian pieces, and Soviet jewellery have specific combinations which determine date, carat (or purity), town of manufacture and name of the manufacturing firm. Yours has the added benefit of maker's initials (KG) stamped on it too.
As to value: Soviet gold has skyrocketed in value over the past 10 years, but silver is slower on the uptake. That being said, this is a very attractive ring and is probably valued at $200-300 for a Soviet silver collector (poss more if the maker is renowned).

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Ah that's awesome thanks for that :D

Wow good to know! Thanks for all the info!

So this would just have been a piece made for sale for someone or would it be a special comission or something? I just can't seem to find any similar bar the one posted by @paperunicorn

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
Ah that's awesome thanks for that :D

Wow good to know! Thanks for all the info!

So this would just have been a piece made for sale for someone or would it be a special comission or something? I just can't seem to find any similar bar the one posted by @paperunicorn

Unlikely a commission. Soviet Russia was under communist rule, and luxuries were scant. Jewellery was made in factory-like settings, turning hundreds of pieces a day.

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Unlikely a commission. Soviet Russia was under communist rule, and luxuries were scant. Jewellery was made in factory-like settings, turning hundreds of pieces a day.

Ah yes ofcourse! Ok cool, good to know.

Maybe I'm rubbish at searching for them but I havent been able to find another like it.

Thank you so much for all of the help though, great to find out more info about it! One of my favourites at the moment for sure...wish I could find more like it haha.

brocanteur

Rough_Rock
Screenshot_20200219-213116_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200219-213143_Instagram.jpg
Glad I could help.
This is a favourite men's 1970s retrofuturistic baltic amber ring that I like to wear. Love me a bit of soviet silver

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Screenshot_20200219-213116_Instagram.jpg Screenshot_20200219-213143_Instagram.jpg
Glad I could help.
This is a favourite men's 1970s retrofuturistic baltic amber ring that I like to wear. Love me a bit of soviet silver

Nice!

Andy Tan

Rough_Rock
Wow, such a cool, edgy ring! Is it quite heavy? It looks like the new Gucci Jewellery collection! :

Rjenks

Rough_Rock
Trade
Wow, such a cool, edgy ring! Is it quite heavy? It looks like the new Gucci Jewellery collection! :

Sorry I've just seen this. Yes the ring is pretty heavy! It's an interesting one for sure. I'm yet to see another one or one similar to it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results