shape
carat
color
clarity

Very disappointed after seeing stones at 2 jewelers

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparkleRx

Rough_Rock
(Warning, long rant)

Hi Everyone,

I recently started looking for blue and pink sapphires for a custom job and after doing research in my area, chose 2 jewelers. I felt comfortable with both and told them what I was looking for and they pulled stones for me to look at. I planned on getting stones locally and going through pricescope vendors to get the custom settings. It took about 1 week for both jewelers to get the stones and they were back to back days I set up to see them in person. I was very excited to go since this was the first time I had seen loose stones and was extra excited after seeing everyone''s pictures of loose stones on pricescope.

I went to the first jeweler and she had 6 stones, none of which not only didn''t blow me away, but I just didn''t like at all and they looked dull and lifeless. I asked for medium blue/purple chunky cushion sapphire (approx 7mm x 8mm) and pink EC sapphire (approx 8mm x 8mm). She had 6 blue sapphires of EC and cushion between 3mm x 3mm up to almost 7mm. They were very dark blue, not sparkly (I realize they were very dark blue and EC isn''t sparkly, but I had asked for lighter blue cushion and of bigger size). She didn''t have pink. I am no expert, but one even had a horrible cut and the "point" on the bottom end was totally crooked.

I was bummed, but had an appt with the other jeweler the next day so was still excited. She had 3 pink EC and 3 blue cushion (what I had asked for at least, unlike 1st jeweler). But none of them really did anything for me. I can''t really explain why. The blue was too dark and just wasn''t sparkly (again, I know blue won''t be sparkly like a diamond, but they were lifeless - could have been a bad cushion cut?). The pink did have one I kind of liked (if I had to choose) but was too small for what I wanted (I believe it was around 4mm x 4mm).

Neither jeweler had a certificate, just size and clarity and told me they could get cert if I wanted after I chose which stones I wanted to buy (I thought this was odd). At the 1st jeweler I asked what made the one stone 3 times the price as one of the others (since it didn''t seem nicer, bigger, prettier, etc). She got the owner, he came and louped it and said it was a nice stone and worth the price. Didn''t really answer my question.

My question is, what is my problem? I don''t believe I am being picky since I think practically anything is pretty. I started thinking that maybe I just couldn''t see the beauty of a loose stone, but went back and looked at pix on pricescope of loose stones then the "after" pictures when they were set and I could see the beauty of the loose stones in the pictures (and we all know pictures don''t do stones justice). Even loose stones I didn''t particuarly prefer looked very preetty in the pictures and I could see their appeal. In person though, none of these appealed to me. Even the ones that were smaller or not the right colour I wanted didn''t appeal to me for reasons other than size/colour - - - they just didn''t do it for me (can''t really explain it).

This is why I wanted to get loose stones locally - so I could see in person if I liked them. But now I am thinking of trusting a pricescope vendor to source one for me since everyone here has had a lot of success. I did go to a gem show last weekend and saw loose stones that I did like in person (but didn''t buy since none were what I was looking for). I realize I only went to 2 jewelers and saw a total of 12 stones out of hundreds of jewelers and millions of stones but am so discouraged. Both jewelers were nothing but nice but I feel the 1st one didn''t listen to what I wanted and the 2nd really was pushing me to get one I didn''t want. When I told them they just weren''t what I was looking for, they told me sapphires don''t sparkle, cushion and EC shouldn''t be in sapphire, the colours I was looking for is hard to source (blue/purple and raspberry pink). I told both I wasn''t interested but now I don''t know what to do.

Anyone else have trouble finding colored stones locally and just put their trust in pricescope vendor? This scares me since pictures aren''t the same as seeing in person and I don''t want to deal with mailing me tons of stones and mailing them back (I travel a lot). I have done a search on here for jewelers in my local area, but none come up. I think for my EC I want Jeff white and for Cushion coloured I don''t know. Jeff White again?

Thanks for listening, I am just so discouraged, I thought this would be a thrilling experience and I wouldn''t be able to choose between stones and would have too many "favourites". My b/f joked he thought I would be coming home with 5 stones - from each jeweler.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
After dealing with local jeweler stores, I will never buy a stone from a jewelry store again. Now our local gem stores is a different story. But I'll probably be sticking with cutters as much as I possibly can for as long as I can.

No stone I've seen at even the gem store has compared with Dan Stair's and Barry Bridgestock's stones. Cutting makes such a difference. (Plus they pick out incredible colors!)

ETA: I've always been spoiled because my first stone was from Barry, and its incredible. Colored stones are HARD TO FIND. Every single one is going to be different and if you're looking for something specific, you're going to have to go out there and find it, and it's going to take some time.

Recently I finally found my ering stone. I wasn't looking for anything specific, just a round green-blue-purple spinel, from 6.5-7.5mm. It took me over two months.

In those two months, I poured over hundreds of spinels, and sapphires, extended the budget, etc. But I also went to a local jeweler and talked to them. The lady talked to me, showed me some "top quality" sapphires (badly zoned--could see the zoning from 2 feet away!), told me that they didn't come in rounds, tried to convince me that pave was milgrain, and tried to talk me into diamond side stones when I told her I didn't want any diamonds on it at all--at least 3 times! I feel your pain on stupid local jewelers who just want to make the sale.

I'd start emailing cutters if I were you. Every stone you've seen here on PS has had a lot of time and effort put into finding them, and even then they usually aren't EXACTLY what we were looking for. Colored stones are rare. It baffles me that diamonds are more expensive (most of the time) but so much more common!

If you need help, I'm sure the good (patient) people here in CS can help you find something closer to what you're looking for on the internet. And luckily, most cutters (and vendors) are very willing to work with you to find something you'll love!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Buying colored stones is a lot more complicated than buying a diamond. YOu can pretty much spec out a diamond and get what you spec out. A colored stone is much different. Sapphires present an additional challenge since most all are native cut, and not really cut too well as you noted. The less expensive blue stones are typically that very dark inky blue, that pretty much has no life. Often your local jeweler will not be the best source, unless they regularly deal in colored stones and have good sources. IF they are just ordering the typical commercial quality stones, I don''t think you will be happy.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
It took me 4 months to find a sapphire I loved. I went reverse of everyone elce. I started online and ended with a B&M. I bought my first 2 stones from the internet (with a full return policy), and they were much darker than I thought they would be. I got pretty mixed reviews when I posted them on here, and I took them to a B&M, and his stones were better color. I sent the stones back, and kept looking. After looking at 100''s of stones from online, to beverly hills, palm beach (both out of my price range, but gave me a good idea of what a good blue looks like in real life), I was more confortable with the quality of the B&M stones and went back and they were still in stock.

Don''t let you first experience get you down, most of us have had dissapointment when we got excited about our first stone and it did not live up to our expectations. The key is to keep an open mind, look everywhere. You don''t have to buy. Look for the stone that jumps out to you. If you see one, look at it closer and make sure it does not have any deal breakers (i.e. price, clarity, treaments you take issue with). If it meets all of those, it is your stone. It is worth the wait and the time spent looking to find one you love.

SparkleRx

Rough_Rock
FrekeChild, what is the difference between local jeweler store and local gem store? What does a "cutter" mean - someone who only cuts stone and I have to buy a bulk stone for them to cut? (Sorry if these are basic questions). I will check out Dan and Barry (I assume they are vendors on here??)

You know, now that I think of it, both places did custom work and had cutters in the back (I could see through the window) but they sourced the stones for me - I didn''t think to ask if they only cut diamonds or what.

PreciousGem - you are right, they were really dark inky blue and I told them I didn''t want that dark! They were expensive also - around $13k-$15k. One was actually 3 times more expensive and I couldn''t figure out why.

Thanks

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Having just finished the process you are starting, I can feel your pain from afar. I went to 3 jewelers and had the same experience, and I am not talking mall stores either. I cant say it is universal, but the consensus seems to be that "we sell black onyx type sapphires at a remarkably high mark up and you should shut up and be happy we are here for you". When I took my search to the web after posting here for recommendations, everything changed drastically! The vendors you will find in the sticky at the top of this forum are all very customer oriented and very easy to talk to. Nearly all of them I contatced replied the same day. If you are very specific about what you are looking for, and attach pics of stones you like they will not waste your time sending you pics of stones that dont fit what you are looking for. I ended up having Jeff White cut mine from rough, but only because the ones the vendors were sending were just a tiny bit "off" from what I was looking for. It was not that they were sending me crap, I just decided I wanted a stone that was made just for me. I will also add this- the vendors will make every effort to find your perfect stone for you, and they have much higher quality than you are likely to see in person, but their prices can be ALL over the map. You can find essentially the same stone at anywhere from $500 per ct up to $2500 per ct for like quality, and nobody will be able to offer a good explanation as to why.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Are you located close to any of the PS favorite vendors? I saw Richard Homer''s gems in person and it was the photos that don''t do justice. His stones come to life in person. The in-person experience should be better that the photos. It''s all in the cut and color.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 8:08:59 PM
Author: SparkleRx
FrekeChild, what is the difference between local jeweler store and local gem store? What does a ''cutter'' mean - someone who only cuts stone and I have to buy a bulk stone for them to cut? (Sorry if these are basic questions). I will check out Dan and Barry (I assume they are vendors on here??)

You know, now that I think of it, both places did custom work and had cutters in the back (I could see through the window) but they sourced the stones for me - I didn''t think to ask if they only cut diamonds or what.

PreciousGem - you are right, they were really dark inky blue and I told them I didn''t want that dark! They were expensive also - around $13k-$15k. One was actually 3 times more expensive and I couldn''t figure out why.

Thanks
It is very hard to find sapphires that are cut in the US because most of them are cut where they are mined. The priority is ct weight, instead of keeping an even color, which is a very important element in colored stones. I know at the jewelry store I bought from, they had a cutter, but he only recut the really poorly cut stones, because it just wasn''t worth the loss in profit to cut the stones decent cuts (but maybe not what you are used to seeing from Gene and Jeff White
9.gif
). But I know many of the blue sapphires that have been cut by Jeff White have been recuts.

The nice thing about the internet is that you can access the vendors who source quality stones. Before, these vendors would be out of reach because of distance. On top of Dan and Berry, you could consider Wink (windfields), pearlman''s. I think there is a link on the top of this fourm with all the places that sell quality colored stones.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Local jewelers aren't going to specialize in colored stones. They can't make as much money off of them as diamonds, so they don't carry many of them. The gem store only sells gemstones, so they have a decent idea of what they are dealing with. A cutter is going to be someone who cuts stones, PrecisionGem is a gem cutter, and usually they take a lot of pride in the beauty of their stones (as you can see by that beauty in his avatar). The stones you find in jewelry stores (the "black" sapphires) are usually going to be "native cut" meaning cut where they were mined, and likely cut for weight instead of beauty, and light reflection.

I added a ETA to my post above, Barry and Dan are not vendors on here, but they have their own websites. Dan's is Custom Gemstones and Barry's is Artistic Colored Stones but he's taking it over from Barbara Smigel, so it's closed right now.

They probably didn't have cutters in the back, those were probably the jewelers working at their benches. Cutting is becoming a bit of a lost art from what I understand.

From reading your posts I think you need to spend more time educating yourself. I've spent almost a year ensconced in colored stones, and I still know next to nothing.

Finding a very specific colored stone is incredibly far from being a case of instant gratification.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Actually Freke, a jeweler can make a lot more money from a colored stone than from a diamond. A jewelers mark up on a diamond is not close to what they can mark up a colored stone. The typical markup on a colored stone is 2 or 3 times, on a diamond it is maybe 15% or 20%. The problem is, that Americans have been trained through extensive marketing and advertising to desire a diamond, more like crave or need a diamond! "A diamond is forever" we have all heard this a million times. So about 70 to 90% of what the typical jewelry store sells is diamonds, and this is because that''s what their clients want. OFten a jeweler neglects colored stones, and is really loosing out on a much better profit margin. There are some exceptions to this, and often these stores do very well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Even though I live in the boonies, I found 3 local jewellers who sell extremely good quality coloured gemstones. However, with being a brick and mortar place, their pricing cannot compete with the internet vendors unless they happen to have a sale going on (and I mean an honest rare sale, not those 40% off every weekend thing like in the mall stores). These are independently owned jewellery stores. Their inventory is also smaller but can call in gemstones.

That said, I still prefer to buy over the net due to the unlimited choices it gives me. In the beginning, I would stick to the trusted vendors, then as you get better, you can venture out and take a bit more risk. Most coloured gemstones do not come with a certificate unless it happens to be a very rare and expensive stone, i.e. 3 ct unheated blue sapphire, 2 ct paraiba tourmaline, etc.

Vendors I trust and buy from include these:
www.acstones.com
www.diamondexpert.com (Gary Dutton)
www.winkjones.com
www.ajsgems.com
www.mineralminers.com
www.atggems.com
www.whitesgems.com (Jeff is a cutter)
www.multicolour.com (need to have a good eye and patience to sieve through all the stones though - not recommended for newbies)
www.precisiongem.com
www.thegemtrader.com

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 8:49:59 PM
Author: PrecisionGem
Actually Freke, a jeweler can make a lot more money from a colored stone than from a diamond. A jewelers mark up on a diamond is not close to what they can mark up a colored stone. The typical markup on a colored stone is 2 or 3 times, on a diamond it is maybe 15% or 20%. The problem is, that Americans have been trained through extensive marketing and advertising to desire a diamond, more like crave or need a diamond! ''A diamond is forever'' we have all heard this a million times. So about 70 to 90% of what the typical jewelry store sells is diamonds, and this is because that''s what their clients want. OFten a jeweler neglects colored stones, and is really loosing out on a much better profit margin. There are some exceptions to this, and often these stores do very well.
Thanks Gene, that''s basically what I wanted to say, but you said it much better than I did. I didn''t mean that they can make more, just that they''ll sell more diamonds in bulk (because they are more desired by Average Joe), and neglect their gemstone sales, even with a huge profit margin.

I hate the diamond marketing system, if I''m completely honest. This idea that everyone needs a diamond is insane to me, and people who may not even like diamonds end up getting diamonds because it''s expected of them. I''m not getting a diamond, even though people around me think it''s expected, will probably look down on my little spinel ering, and even though my birthstone is a diamond as well. Personally, I''m thrilled that gemstones are relatively cheap! They are so much cooler than diamonds anyway! (Rant over. Apparently I needed to get that out.)

It''s hard being interested in colored stones and limiting yourself to what is available locally. Many of the stores I''ve been to didn''t even know what a spinel was. Sad sad sad.

And I''m tired of going to maul stores and seeing the same jewelry at every single one. And what is up with the journey jewelry? Those things are everywhere!

(Random ranting over. I swear.)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sparkle, if you have a Shane Company nearby you might go look at loose stones there. I have 2 blue, 1 pink and 1 green sapphire from them that I believe are gorgeous. They are well cut, fiery and great color. They have to bring out pretty much everything they have and the ones I end up with might be the only one in their inventory that I like but I am happy with them so it's worth a try.

Freke, I am not a fan of the journey jewelry and everyone seems to have it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to everything above.

I have bought from Wink (some stones via him from Richard Homer) and I buy a fair bit from Art Cut Gems - www.artcutgems.com - he has some beautiful blue and pink sapphires in stock at the moment. It''s worth contacting him direct as a lot of his stock isn''t up on the website yet.

I''m in the UK and have stones shipped here - never returned anything yet. Ask as many questions up front as you can and you shouldn''t have a problem.

I also find using the GemeSquare Lite at GemeWizard is useful for explaining exact colour shades over the internet. It''s a free download.

SparkleRx

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for their help and links and letting me know it can be a hard process. I was really getting discouraged.

FrekeChild- Too funny, I love your rant but I feel the same way. I really wish there was more of a regimented guide on pricing coloured stones (like diamonds). And you are right, I need to be more educated. The sad thing is that I have been on here for hours upon hours and thought I was ready to go out to the real world, but apparantly am not.

Precision Gem - I love the color of your avatar! Your post scares me since it said how coloured stones have such a high mark up and seems to be the consensus that price is all across the board. Now I won''t know if I am getting ripped off.
38.gif
I will have to do more research.

Ltle Firecracker - thanks for the upbeat response and letting me know I am not alone. I adore your green avatar! I am also looking for green and light blue project, so you and Precision Gem are killing me with your avatars. Do you own that stone? Is it an emerald? I am thinking I need to move from my sapphire project to my emerald or aquamarine project since the sapphire project isn''t panning out. When you say B&M store, do you mean a mall store or a local jeweler/gem store? I haven''t gone into a mall store (Kay, Whitefield, Helzman, etc) but have gone to a lot of the "upscale" B&M stores I can out here. I seem to live in a snooty area and they seem flaberghasted when I don''t buy on the spot and dare to ask questions. THat is why I was actually comfortable with the 2 I ended up going to, but they didn''t show me what I was looking for. I am *so* glad you found what you were looking for.

TropicMaster - Yes! The 2 jewelers I went to were really surprised I couldn''t pick one of the stones out and were more baffled when I said I wasn''t fond of any of them and told them why. And again, I think almost anything is pretty. Lucky you got a Jeff White cut! I started dealing with him awhile ago but stopped (due to me, not him at all) and am getting ready to contact him again. Did you have a "bulk" stone that he cut from? My concern with that is the bulk stone colour will probably look a lot different than the end result colour. Ughhh, the prices on coloured stones seem all over the board.

Swinggirl - nope, I checked and only one place here on pricesope pops up by me under the "local vendor" option here on pricescope. And under the other links no one is anywhere near me. I am more than likely going to have to go through email/mail. Or move.

Chrono - THANKS!
36.gif
I need all the links I can get and will check them out.

marcyc - I do have a Shane co near me. I was there a few years ago but believe I was looking for diamonds, not coloured gems so I will have to go back and look at them. I didn''t realize they sell stones separate - thanks, I will check them out.

Pandora - thanks for the link and info - I will also check his stock out now. And there you go with the awesome colored avatar. I love the green. Me want.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I''m not quite sure what your price range is, but Jeff White has a BEAUTIFUL blue ceylon sapphire 1.79 ct available for $2400 (excellent price IMO esp. considering the source!)... however it is not available on the main site. You need to subscribe to Gemscoop and it can be viewed by logging in as a member. Here''s the link to subscribe: http://www.whitesgems.com/gemscoop.htm.

Please don''t be discouraged. As others have said COLORED STONES ARE HARD TO FIND! Knowledge in mall stores is pathetic... I had one guy tell me sapphires aren''t cut in cushion or radiant shape at all. WHAT?

I''m having a sapphire engagement ring designed and it took my FF and I 5 MONTHS to find a stone we both liked. Price ranges were ridiculous: $600-$7000 per carat for the same inky blue color at most local stores. I have to tell you that the search was so frustrating I almost "settled" for a diamond. We finally ended up finding an independent local (custom oriented) B&M whose manager is a colored gemstone nut (her personal collection was astounding!)... she took down what we wanted, contacted vendors, and didn''t disappoint. We had a stone within 2 weeks of contacting her!

Keep searching... the links others have provided are great, so you have lots of options. Good luck!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Here''s my 2c eventhough I still haven''t bought my first one (and I''ll think twice before I do after reading all this
1.gif
). Gems tend to look diferent in photos for many reasons (some of which are):

- they''re 3D objects
- lighting is diferent
- size on photo is diferent than in reality (mostly a lot larger)
- background used in the photo
etc.

Don''t settle for something that "looks OK", especially if you''re thinking about a significant purchase. I heard a nice saying that "people don''t choose gems, gems choose people", so maybe you just have to wait for one to choose you - trust me, you''ll know when it happens
9.gif
. Besides, we should put an end to all this expensive junk-selling nonsense ASAP.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
and not all jewelry store employees are really knowledgeable re color stones.

movie zombie

Tropicmaster

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 12:53:50 PM
Author: SparkleRx
Thanks everyone for their help and links and letting me know it can be a hard process. I was really getting discouraged.

FrekeChild- Too funny, I love your rant but I feel the same way. I really wish there was more of a regimented guide on pricing coloured stones (like diamonds). And you are right, I need to be more educated. The sad thing is that I have been on here for hours upon hours and thought I was ready to go out to the real world, but apparantly am not.

Precision Gem - I love the color of your avatar! Your post scares me since it said how coloured stones have such a high mark up and seems to be the consensus that price is all across the board. Now I won''t know if I am getting ripped off.
38.gif
I will have to do more research.

Ltle Firecracker - thanks for the upbeat response and letting me know I am not alone. I adore your green avatar! I am also looking for green and light blue project, so you and Precision Gem are killing me with your avatars. Do you own that stone? Is it an emerald? I am thinking I need to move from my sapphire project to my emerald or aquamarine project since the sapphire project isn''t panning out. When you say B&M store, do you mean a mall store or a local jeweler/gem store? I haven''t gone into a mall store (Kay, Whitefield, Helzman, etc) but have gone to a lot of the ''upscale'' B&M stores I can out here. I seem to live in a snooty area and they seem flaberghasted when I don''t buy on the spot and dare to ask questions. THat is why I was actually comfortable with the 2 I ended up going to, but they didn''t show me what I was looking for. I am *so* glad you found what you were looking for.

TropicMaster - Yes! The 2 jewelers I went to were really surprised I couldn''t pick one of the stones out and were more baffled when I said I wasn''t fond of any of them and told them why. And again, I think almost anything is pretty. Lucky you got a Jeff White cut! I started dealing with him awhile ago but stopped (due to me, not him at all) and am getting ready to contact him again. Did you have a ''bulk'' stone that he cut from? My concern with that is the bulk stone colour will probably look a lot different than the end result colour. Ughhh, the prices on coloured stones seem all over the board.

Swinggirl - nope, I checked and only one place here on pricesope pops up by me under the ''local vendor'' option here on pricescope. And under the other links no one is anywhere near me. I am more than likely going to have to go through email/mail. Or move.

Chrono - THANKS!
36.gif
I need all the links I can get and will check them out.

marcyc - I do have a Shane co near me. I was there a few years ago but believe I was looking for diamonds, not coloured gems so I will have to go back and look at them. I didn''t realize they sell stones separate - thanks, I will check them out.

Pandora - thanks for the link and info - I will also check his stock out now. And there you go with the awesome colored avatar. I love the green. Me want.
Sparkle mine is being re cut from a larger native cut stone, so I was able to see really good pics of the color beforehand. As I understand things rough is almost impossible to get here in the states due to host nation laws preventing its export. I guess this is to ensure that the money stays where the rough came from. It is a shame because the native cuts are pretty terrible for the most part.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
"Ltle Firecracker - thanks for the upbeat response and letting me know I am not alone. I adore your green avatar! I am also looking for green and light blue project, so you and Precision Gem are killing me with your avatars. Do you own that stone? Is it an emerald? I am thinking I need to move from my sapphire project to my emerald or aquamarine project since the sapphire project isn't panning out. When you say B&M store, do you mean a mall store or a local jeweler/gem store? I haven't gone into a mall store (Kay, Whitefield, Helzman, etc) but have gone to a lot of the "upscale" B&M stores I can out here. I seem to live in a snooty area and they seem flaberghasted when I don't buy on the spot and dare to ask questions. THat is why I was actually comfortable with the 2 I ended up going to, but they didn't show me what I was looking for. I am *so* glad you found what you were looking for."

Thanks for the nice compliments :). Some answers.

My aviator is a Tsavorite I bought about a month about from Art Cut Stones. Tsavorites look like emeralds, but to me they have several advantages. They are cheeper (but prices are going up), they are less brittle, they tend to have more brilliance, clairty is better, so it is easy to find an eye clean stone, and they are easy to find untreated.

Don't give up on the sapphire. Here is mine for reference. Click here. I went to a local store, and was quite impressed with their knowledge. All the sales people had training through the GIA or AGS. I know that the owner goes to all the same gym shoes that the vendors on here go to buy at. They did not mind my questions, they were actually quite impressed, and I think it was a nice change for them to actually talk about all the different elements of the stones. I did not buy on the same day, and when I came back, they told me they thought I would take longer to think about it. I had visited a large chain, and they were giving me lots of mis-information so I didn't go back. I don't shop at places where my questions can't be answered.

If you want to get another colored stone because you want it just as much as the sapphre that is fine, but you should get what you want. i know these stones are smaller than you want, but here are a couple sapphires that have some great color, these are just to show you what is out there. stone 1, I think the color on this one is great. stone 2 is nice, but has been on the site for quite awhile, so i am wondering if is anyting about it other than price that is keeping people away from it.

Anyways, think of finding a colored stone like a treasure hunt. A lot of looking around for the big prize.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/2/2008 7:51:13 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Anyways, think of finding a colored stone like a treasure hunt. A lot of looking around for the big prize.

WORD.

I started out looking in stores, having stones brought in for me. Dark, opaque, ugly looking things. So I started with Pricescope and used all the resources available to start a hunt...

It took 4-5 months. But it was sure worth the wait! Jeff White was so patient with me....once I realized that "the one" was out there but it just hadn't found me yet, I relaxed and enjoyed the journey.

My sweet DH comments almost daily that my new sapphire ring is "winking" at him in the sunlight (ie: even the blue stone shoots out arrows at him).

Enjoy the journey. It's worth it!

LS

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/1/2008 7:56:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild
But I''ll probably be sticking with cutters as much as I possibly can for as long as I can.
Freke,
When I first started collecting (it seems like yonks and donks ago, even though it''s been only 2 years), I had the same mindset. However, after seeing more and more "native cut" stones, I was converted to the colour-trumps school. Now, I''ll happily accept a less than perfectly cut stone if the colour grabs me.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
SparkleRX,
I''d be happy to join in your hunt.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/2/2008 10:12:16 PM
Author: Harriet

Date: 10/1/2008 7:56:01 PM
Author: FrekeChild
But I''ll probably be sticking with cutters as much as I possibly can for as long as I can.
Freke,
When I first started collecting (it seems like yonks and donks ago, even though it''s been only 2 years), I had the same mindset. However, after seeing more and more ''native cut'' stones, I was converted to the colour-trumps school. Now, I''ll happily accept a less than perfectly cut stone if the colour grabs me.
I don''t want to diss any precision US cutters but most don''t know how to bring out the best colour in the stone aka highlight the colour of the gemstone. Yes, the faceting is precise and poliish is excellent, but sometimes the colour suffers. Like Harriet, I am now more accepting of native cut stones as long as it isn''t windowed, doesn''t have much extinction and the culet isn''t off centered. I can handle a fat belly and slight unevenness in the girdle. I have seen recuts where the colour of the original native stone look better than after the recut. So, for me, colour trumps everything but cut is still up there.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
To be fair to the American cutters, the best rough is often fiercely guarded by the mine owners in order to preserve their margins (or so I''ve been told by both parties).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
True as well, which is why now I try to buy right at the source - better goods and pricing.

I can't wait to pick up my blue spinel tomorrow. It's on memo and it's supposed to be a beauty - a colour changer from a true blue to lavender. This one is straight from the mine but cut by a good US cutter because the miner knows the cutter well.

Hey Harriet, drop me an email - I sent you one yesterday but am wondering if you ever received it.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Countries like Sri Lanka have laws in place to protect their gemstone industry. No mechanised mining is permitted and no rough can be exported. This is to ensure a sustainable industry for the future for local inhabitants and to help protect the local environment. Personally I applaud this stance.

I''m not a precision cut fan at all - I like things to look symmetrical and I like meet points to be pretty decent, but colour is everything to me. I like good ''native'' cuts - and there are plenty of excellent ones out there (I know, I own some).

I''m off to Sri Lanka in 2 weeks and have 5 days allocated to Ratnapura (the travel agents thought I was barking mad
9.gif
), so I hope to come back with a few pretties and not too badly ripped off!

I''ve got some meetings in Colombo with some of the bigger dealers, but I''m going to take a huge risk and try and buy a few pieces in the Ratnapura gem market - including a piece of rough that I will have cabbed. They have cutters there which you take your rough to and they cut it for you - then you can export it.

Can''t wait!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/3/2008 1:03:10 PM
Author: Pandora II
Countries like Sri Lanka have laws in place to protect their gemstone industry. No mechanised mining is permitted and no rough can be exported. This is to ensure a sustainable industry for the future for local inhabitants and to help protect the local environment. Personally I applaud this stance.
So do I.

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I have to go with Harriet, Chrono and Pandora about colour being more important. My pricier gemstones (untreated ruby, sapphire, demantoid) are not from the internet. They are from my jeweler (they have a good range of high quality gemstones) and most are native cuts. I agree that some of the precision cut gemstones does not bring out the beauty or richness of the colour as much as the better native cuts do. That being said, I also love the precision cut gems. I find myself purchasing only the more affordable precision cut gems (eg: pink tourmaline, verdelite tourmaline, lavendar spinels, spessartites etc) and set them to wear to match my outfits. I also love Richard Homer''s concave cuts, I find them quite mesmerising and I find myself getting lost in the stone as I look into them. Richard''s website currently has many pieces of sapphire which have excellent colour and here is his website in case you would like to take a look www.concavegems.com.

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t think The Natural Sapphire Company has been mentioned in any of the other posts.

Here''s a link: http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/

I believe many or most of their stones are native-cut (I also don''t mind native cut - precision cut is lovely and something I''d like to have someday, but I too am all about the color). The site has a huge variety of sapphires in every color imaginable. Had I not found my stone, in my preferred color and shape, at a local jeweler, I would have definitely given them a try.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results