shape
carat
color
clarity

I think I found it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, after 4 months of looking I think I found it. I really liked this oval sapphire I found, but changed my mind when I saw a feather breaking the undersurface. I was than showed a sapphire that is perfect for me. 1t is a 1.67 blue cushion, heat treated. I took a few pics. I love the fact it is a medium blue with lots of sparkle and tons of character.

IMG_0384_1.JPG

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Just to get an idea of size to my hand

IMG_0385_1.JPG

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful! Gorgeous color. Did you find it online or at a B&M?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
B&M. I looked online, I bought my diamond studs online, and was very happy with my purchace. It was just really hard with a sapphire cause I am so picky about the color. I found a jewelry store that was kind of like a pricescope in real life. They are AGS certified and all the workers have some sort of training with the GIA or AGS.

I love the color, cut, and size of this stone. My only concern is that in certian lights I can see a small cloud to the side and 2 small white pinpoints. I saw them under the 40x microscope at the store, but didn''t see them with my eye so was not concerned. Are these inclusions really bad or am I just blowing it up?

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very pretty.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
If you were only able to see them under 40x, then it meets the "eye-clean" definition. I can''t pick out any obvious inclusions, even in your magnified photos, so it wouldn''t bother me.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks. I meant now under different lighting, I can see them with my eye...no microscope. I still have to talk to the jeweler about setting it, so I will bring it up than and see what they think.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Oh, cool cool cool! I am so happy for you - I know you have been looking a long time. It looks amazing to me! would you mind sharing the dimensions of the sapphire (if you have them) and your finger size just to help me get an idea, because as we were talking about on a different thread, I am shopping for something very similar and it would give me an idea what it might look like on my hand. Are cushions cut a bit deeper than rounds? Did you decide if you are going to do the temp setting or go all out for the halo? I'm so happy you found your sapphire!!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really love that color blue, it is gorgeous!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/13/2008 11:19:12 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Oh, cool cool cool! I am so happy for you - I know you have been looking a long time. It looks amazing to me! would you mind sharing the dimensions of the sapphire (if you have them) and your finger size just to help me get an idea, because as we were talking about on a different thread, I am shopping for something very similar and it would give me an idea what it might look like on my hand. Are cushions cut a bit deeper than rounds? Did you decide if you are going to do the temp setting or go all out for the halo? I''m so happy you found your sapphire!!
No problem. I would be happy to give you any info because I know you are looking for something so similar. The dementions are the only info I have right now. It is 6.76x6.55.x4.14 mm, I slightly mis quoted the weight, it is 1.64 ct. I calculated the depth to be about 62%. My ring finger is a size 6. I am pretty happy with the size it is not too big, not too small. I also love the cut, the crown is high, the table is small and it has a ton of character.

For the setting, that will be a bigger problem than I thought. I will be wearing this on my right hand so it can''t be high. But it won''t fit into any of the low stock settings. The jeweler is going to talk to their benchman and see what can be done. The owner who suggested I do a temp setting is also out of town and I am hoping he will have some ideas. But I was not going to pass the stone based on this issue.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 12:49:59 AM
Author: LtlFirecracker

Date: 5/13/2008 11:19:12 PM
Author: TanDogMom
Oh, cool cool cool! I am so happy for you - I know you have been looking a long time. It looks amazing to me! would you mind sharing the dimensions of the sapphire (if you have them) and your finger size just to help me get an idea, because as we were talking about on a different thread, I am shopping for something very similar and it would give me an idea what it might look like on my hand. Are cushions cut a bit deeper than rounds? Did you decide if you are going to do the temp setting or go all out for the halo? I'm so happy you found your sapphire!!
No problem. I would be happy to give you any info because I know you are looking for something so similar. The dementions are the only info I have right now. It is 6.76x6.55.x4.14 mm, I slightly mis quoted the weight, it is 1.64 ct. I calculated the depth to be about 62%. My ring finger is a size 6. I am pretty happy with the size it is not too big, not too small. I also love the cut, the crown is high, the table is small and it has a ton of character.

For the setting, that will be a bigger problem than I thought. I will be wearing this on my right hand so it can't be high. But it won't fit into any of the low stock settings. The jeweler is going to talk to their benchman and see what can be done. The owner who suggested I do a temp setting is also out of town and I am hoping he will have some ideas. But I was not going to pass the stone based on this issue.
Thank you, Ltlfirecracker! I think the size is just perfect. My ring size is about 5.75 so that gives me a great idea of how it might look for me too. I agree it's not too small and not too large. I know we both like the halo style, and I think that will give a huge amount of coverage. I hope you can get the setting issue worked out. Keep us posted!

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Love the colour and shape! I would set that lovely in a Tiffany legacy-esque setting..

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a fantastic color! can''t wait to see what you do with it!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
First and most improtant: Thanks to everyone for the compliments, it makes me feel so much better about my choice, especially after the last 2 I put up here.

TagDogMom (or anyone elce who wants to chime in): I have a questions for you since you are looking. What would be more important to you? I totally eye clean stone that may be smaller or not quite the color you want or perfect size and color but one visable inclusion that only comes out at certain angles, and lighting, but is pretty easy to see in those situations (a white spot under one of the facets in the crown). I did a search and it seems that most people on here would not want a visabily included sapphire. I know that the stone with a good size, good color, good clarity our out of my budget, but I want a stone that is considered a "good stone." Am I making the sacrifice in the right place? Am I making since?

Picking a setting may be a process, but I do love the look of the legacy. There are some great ideas on this form that are giving me inspiration. I am sure I will be bouncing ideas off you guys.

Selkie

Ideal_Rock
If it is the size, color and cut you are looking for at the right price, and the inclusion is not glaringly obvious to the casual observer, I would take that stone in a heartbeat. Does it bother you so much that you find yourself always looking for the inclusion? If so, then it's not "mind clean" and maybe you should pass it up. Or, can you think of it as a beauty mark, and something that marks the stone as natural and unique? It sounds like you've already gone through quite the search, and keep in mind that it's much harder to find a similar sapphire than it would be to find a similar diamond.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 7:34:54 PM
First and most improtant: Thanks to everyone for the compliments, it makes me feel so much better about my choice, especially after the last 2 I put up here.

TagDogMom (or anyone elce who wants to chime in): I have a questions for you since you are looking. What would be more important to you? I totally eye clean stone that may be smaller or not quite the color you want or perfect size and color but one visable inclusion that only comes out at certain angles, and lighting, but is pretty easy to see in those situations (a white spot under one of the facets in the crown). I did a search and it seems that most people on here would not want a visabily included sapphire. I know that the stone with a good size, good color, good clarity our out of my budget, but I want a stone that is considered a ''good stone.'' Am I making the sacrifice in the right place? Am I making since?

Picking a setting may be a process, but I do love the look of the legacy. There are some great ideas on this form that are giving me inspiration. I am sure I will be bouncing ideas off you guys.
Hi LtlFirecracker,
I''m still a newbie at colored stones but glad to answer your question! Of the situation you mentioned I''d take the inclusion for sure. With colored stones I care about color, cut, size, then clarity dead last. Unless the inclusion is very visible and distracting, I don''t think it would bother me. If I got a stone that was too small or not sparkly, I know I would regret it. My engagement diamond has an inclusion that is pretty visible but only at a specific angle. Yeah, I wish it were totally eye clean, but if it were, we could not have afforded it!

As for settings, my favorites are the Vatche Princess Grace and the Whiteflash halo. There are also some very nice ones on Natural Sapphire Company but I think that would only make sense if I got my stone from them. I love the Princess Grace and it works with a cushion, but I think it is about $2K last time I checked, which is really a lot for me. AngelEyez has a thread with some great pics. The WF halo is very attractive too, and I know their quality would be tops. Let me know what you find out - can;t wait to see what you get!

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Selkie,

You are right, I have gone through the search. It is kind of a mind clean issue for me because what got me into gemstones was inclusions. My mom let me pick out a pair of diamond earings when I was sixteen and when a few days later, one had a big black mark in the middle (I knew nothing about diamonds). I took them for a repair to my local jeweler, he told me they were horrible diamonds and not really even worth repairing. The earings were stolden, and despite their quality, I would give anything to have them back because my mother is no longer living. But I when I got my new earings, I made sure there were no black marks. But I don''t think this is quite the same, it is just a small area that reflects white light under the crown on the cornor (under the facet that is totally lit up in the pic, which is why you can''t see it). It already starting to look smaller to me. And at certian angles it is minimal to absent, so I think I can keep that in mind when I set it. My boyfirend looked at it, he found it, but it took 5 minutes. So I do not think it would be obvious to the casual observer. I guess I am overconcerned because of that past experience, gemstones are natural....they will have birthmarks!

TagDogMom

There are a ton of settings I love. I love the Princess Grace setting, just saw pics in rocky talky. I would love to see a profile view as well though. I like the WF Halo bezel ring, and I like MoonWater''s new ring. I would love somthing similar to the with the cutout on the side, but no diamonds or surprize diamond on the side, just made of gold. Than the halo and the shank with diamonds. I also love Butterfly''s ring, but that may be way out of budget even if I wait. When you are ready, I have a ton of answers to your questions when you start really looking, I did a ton of research.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/14/2008 10:02:11 PM

TagDogMom

There are a ton of settings I love. I love the Princess Grace setting, just saw pics in rocky talky. I would love to see a profile view as well though. I like the WF Halo bezel ring, and I like MoonWater's new ring. I would love somthing similar to the with the cutout on the side, but no diamonds or surprize diamond on the side, just made of gold. Than the halo and the shank with diamonds. I also love Butterfly's ring, but that may be way out of budget even if I wait. When you are ready, I have a ton of answers to your questions when you start really looking, I did a ton of research.

I just realized from another thread that we are earring twins. Maybe we will be ring twins too! It's looking pretty likely!

By the way have you seen Curiopotter's setting from Whiteflash (custom)? It's one of my favorites. I feel like with these types of settings, it's really hard to get a sense of them from a pic. I wish I could try them all on side by side. I have a feeling that the overall feel of them does not really come through in pics, since halos can be vintage or modern, delicate or substantial, or anything in between.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Are we really? That is cool, we seem to think alike. I never put pics up of my earings, I felt like there were so many other similar ones . I did a seach and I saw that setting. You are right about the effect of halos. I tried on the Legacy, and I feel like the halo is too big, but I love the way the colored stone peaks through the bottom. I also tried on the Ritini Endless Love with a 1 ct diamond. The halo was so little it made the diamond look really really big big :). When I picked out the sapphire, I tried on a couple different halos inbewteen that were really nice too. They are all so different. Details, details.

ahappygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Wow! The stone is such a gorgeous blue and very sparkly. I also love that size - it looks great on your finger and the setting is lovely. Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results