shape
carat
color
clarity

Venting thread

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's amazing @MamaBee. What I'm finding is that there is no one color that looks good in both low and bright light. The samples change dramatically depending on where I put them. I have an open floor plan so I'll feel happy as a clam if I decide on one that is ok everywhere rather than gorgeous in one room and revolting in another. I'm happy I have this dilemma to temporarily take my mind off of all the sadness in the world.

When I was picking wall color I used large white poster board and tacked them up in different rooms. I could move it around and live with it in each area for a few days in different lighting. I used the matte side which seemed more like drywall. Have fun!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't want to vent about serious stuff; it's more beneficial for me to bury my head in a pillow and indulge in a loud scream when necessary. I will vent, however, about white paint. I wanted to paint the entire interior of my home white. How hard can that be? Impossible it seems. There are a gazillion shades of white each with a gazillion shades of undertone nuances. I've learned that paint color needs to be matched not only to interior decor colors but also to the fixed elements room such as flooring, fireplace, cabinets.

Bright whites don't brighten dark rooms and, in fact, can make dark rooms look darker and depending on the shade of white and the way the light enters the room, a bright white can make the room look as though it's painted more than one color.

My interior decorator says she has her "go to" white that she uses all the time. I saw a video by a certified color consultant who said if someone tells you she has a "go to white", that person doesn't know how to use whites.

(pause for sip of vodka tonic)

I don't want to do the usual buying of 50 color samples to schmear on the walls and then meditate over them and make burnt offerings to the gods for help making the right choice.

My interior designer sent me to a color consultant at Sherwin-Williams. I took flooring and fabric samples. She was useless. Showed me a white paint and said "Do you know XX (uber rich person who lives in a 10,000 sq ft mansion 15 min. away from me), well he paints all of his homes this color." Riiiiight, so happy I didn't have to pay for that bit of useless drivel.

(pause for large gulp of vodka tonic)

I returned to watching videos of a Canadian color consultant who compares and contrasts hundreds of paints between and among Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, and Farrow and Ball and talks about undertones and why they will and wont work in certain situations.

He offers color consultation packages one of which I'll probably pay for all because white isn't white isn't white.

(concludes with large bite of chocolate bar and chugging rest of vodka tonic)

Whites and greys were my least favourite colours to mix up for customers but i always used to have a quiet chuckle at the irony of a white called black white
it had a tiny bit of black tint in a white base
never used it myself but it was surposed to be very very white
One of the paint companies here do a really beautiful brochures of their 'white' paints

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@missy -

You're quite right. Tim walked in yesterday and said - "Is it time for a new computer?" I think I'm sulking. I just don't *want* to spend another thousand bucks just before Christmas, y'know? This built-in obsolescence sends me beserko! Even tho I realized at the time that Tim was offering me one for Christmas...I opted for the cashmere sweaters / new chest of drawers / one more diamond for my upcoming eternity band option. Plus a good sulk. :mrgreen:

This pandemic is so difficult for those of us whose families are in other countries. There's no mask I can wear, no amount of sanitizing I can do, to allow me to see the people I love. I spend my life missing specific people, but Australia has simply closed its borders - and, consequently - almost has this thing under control. Yesterday they had 14 new cases, nation-wide. The US had over 70,000. It's pretty obvious, too, that when Australia DOES open its borders, opening them to the US will not be at the top of its 'to-do' list. So all that equates to 2 years of not being able to go home or see my family or my closest friends. And frankly, living in the US away from home for so long has only been possible for me because of the constant treks the people who love me have been willing to make every year. But now, Tim's parents are in their 80's, and we're talking about seeing them 'in 18 months...maybe." Eighteen months is a long time for an 85 year old and we'e aware that we may never see them again. And THAT is a very bitter pill to swallow.

It's been tough, too, being unwell and not being able to see my best friend - who is my best friend, my sister and my family all rolled into one. We've been family to each other for over 40 years. Together we've buried all 4 of our parents, Tim has walked her down the aisle, I was in the room when she had her children, she bought us our first house, we put her kids through private school....the list is endless. When I had afib, and couldn't get my heart's rhythm under control, I would call Wendy, and we'd have a long chat on the phone. Eventually, I'd find myself chatting and laughing...and suddenly it would click back into sinus rhythm. She's like my secret weapon. Were she here, she'd have turned up for every one of my surgeries, and just helped, helped, helped during what has been an incredibly difficult time for me personally. When I had the stent put into my carotid artery, they did a newer procedure called a T-Car procedure which runs the blood outside the body while you're on the table and filters it for clots. They pulled 2 clots out of my blood - both of which would have caused me a stroke had they not been caught. That's way to close to disaster for me, and the idea that I might have 'popped off' without seeing the people I love is just so sad.

And so I suppose *this* is my rant. And my major pity party. I have a good life and I'm very blessed. But its success is predicated on free and open travel between US states (CA and MA specifically) and 2 countries. I know we're all feeling isolated at the moment, and my thoughts and sympathies go out to all those who are doing it tough right now - particularly the elderly who are marooned in residential care facilities, away from the people they love. The stories coming out of those places about people just withering away through sadness are horrific. Damn this pandemic. Damn it to hell.

ETA But I will take that virtual hug, @missy, and raise you a big smile, a wave and a socially distanced cup of coffee - WITH a side slice of cake! :)) Mwah! :wavey:

Oh dear Mrs B im so sorry you can't come home to visit family

Im sure its similar in 'Oz - most of our covid cases picked up in managed isolation here in NZ are either of British or American origion so until the powers at be in those countries get their situation under control we just have to keep our population safe as best we can

I know that's not fare for the people who are doing all they can to social distance and stop the spread of the virus
Would you be able to go into managed isolation quareteen before and after arriving in Australia ?

Right now our managed isolation/ quareteen hotels are nearing capacity so the govt have told Air New Zealand to hold off selling more seats in the lead up to Christmas

i hope your relatives can all zoom and skyp etc especially the oldies

modern techknowledgy is taking the edge off the pain of seperation

My English MIL and her Irish husband and kids immigrated to NZ in the 1960s, due to finances (flights used to cost soooo much) she was only able to go home once to visit her own family and until very recently it used to cost way too much to ring long distance, I'm sure she would have loved skyp or even facebook

Best wishes to all your family
May you all stay safe until its safe to hug each other again

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@Matata I had the same problem when I needed a white paint for my trim in Pa. I went to Benjamin Moore and saw they had a can of paint that just said White...I bought it and was happy as a clam. It was perfect.

That sounds like just the white base
We sold tons of plain untinted white base
That's what im doing my interior trim in plus the porch

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
That sounds like just the white base
We sold tons of plain untinted white base
That's what im doing my interior trim in plus the porch

I think it was actually called Simply White. It doesn’t have any undertones that I could see. One white I tried out looked like it had a lavender tint when it dried!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, because of all those selfish morons who care more about going out, not social distancing and not wearing a mask, we’re in lockdown for a second time :angryfire:

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ugh, because of all those selfish morons who care more about going out, not social distancing and not wearing a mask, we’re in lockdown for a second time :angryfire:

Yep, us too!

Virtual Gin Tonic toast (I don't drink, but it feels like today might be a good time to start!!)

Weecam

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I work in a seniors residence and a lady that I help on the side probably has breast cancer...she is 95.
I took her for a mammogram after work today, she hasn’t had one in about 50 years.
She‘s the nicest person that I have ever known.

I have a bunion and need surgery so I’ve been put on a years waiting list because of COVID. I’ll need to buy some gummies or something if you KWIM because I can’t take most pain relievers.

I have three dogs and one of them is a very naughty dog that barks A LOT @mrs-b....

It snowed a bit today....:x2

end of rant

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bumping this thread up with 2 new vents.

OMG they way NY is prioritizing the vaccination process makes little sense.
They are leaving vulnerable people unvaccinated and vaccinating those who have little or no risk at the moment.

Express scripts. Is anything but express. :/

That's all.

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
PEOPLE WHO ARE SENSITIVE ABOUT ANIMALS, DO NOT READ!!!!!

I have these horrific nightmares about having to kill an animal (reason usually not known) and crying as I do cause I don't want to. (Maybe because I have had to send so many pets over the rainbow bridge). Anyway, I have had a mouse in the house and have been trying to i've trap him/her, and I just can't seem to get it to enter the trap. I also have two spoiled cats that just watch them and seem like they want them to play. I now have three mice, the are getting into the kitchen from under the house(houses in this part of Texas are on blocks or stilts, I have no idea why, we live in constant drought). I don't want to kill them...but I can't have them in the house. I may have to have them killed. It is breaking my heart!!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s snowing again! Another nor’easter. And it’s going to cause my parents vaccinations today to be postponed. :(

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cost of running a household of four vs what i actually make in a year and my age before hypothetical retirement. Sigh. The math ain't looking good.

sorry about that, it is so tough today, perhaps new administration, new pays cales if they up the minimum wage.. dunno, but I remember the stresses of having a young family and little money.. platitudes don't help so I will say I'm hoping for a change for you and your family.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s snowing again! Another nor’easter. And it’s going to cause my parents vaccinations today to be postponed. :(

this sucks. so sorry Missy girl.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh that is so disappointing! I hope they reschedule ASAP.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh that is so disappointing! I hope they reschedule ASAP.

Thank you! My sister just called me and they are going to take them to the vaccination center now as they haven't heard they are closed so fingers crossed.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this sucks. so sorry Missy girl.

Fingers crossed Kate...my sister and BIL are heading there now with my parents. It is snowing a lot here at the moment but hoping the center is open and they can get vaccinated.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Someone I admired and respected and believed to be an animal lover (she's vegetarian) told me how she poisoned the squirrels in her yard. She spread a poisoned feed mix on her lawn.I just don't understand why she could not have found a humane solution, even if she needed to pay someone for it. It's also possible that she may have unintentionally poisoned the neighborhood pets or song birds.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Our state's unemployment website is miserable! I get that lots of fraudulent claims were made, but this is insane. Tried to file a claim and ended up with a notification that DH's identity couldn't be confirmed so he has to contact the investigation office. Great. From what others have said, it can take multiple days sitting on hold for hours to get through.

Yep. In a pandemic, DH has been let go. 15 years with this company plus additional years contracting for them and they toss him out like he is nothing. Just months away from being eligible to keep stock he had been gifted through the years. Not even sure the cobra coverage will pay for my meds. That is *if* we can get it set up in time to cover the next refill without having to pay cash and submit for (hopeful) reimbursement.

The good news is that we are in a reasonably good place financially.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Our state's unemployment website is miserable! I get that lots of fraudulent claims were made, but this is insane. Tried to file a claim and ended up with a notification that DH's identity couldn't be confirmed so he has to contact the investigation office. Great. From what others have said, it can take multiple days sitting on hold for hours to get through.

Yep. In a pandemic, DH has been let go. 15 years with this company plus additional years contracting for them and they toss him out like he is nothing. Just months away from being eligible to keep stock he had been gifted through the years. Not even sure the cobra coverage will pay for my meds. That is *if* we can get it set up in time to cover the next refill without having to pay cash and submit for (hopeful) reimbursement.

I'm so sorry to hear that.
prayers outgoing

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can a venting thread get 111 replies without a single vent pic? :think:

These vents aren't just regular boring vents.
These come with an attacking monster, emerging to scare your guests.
It even has creepy battery-powered glowing LED eyes.

Actually I'd call them prank-art.
You hang it on your wall where one would expect to see a heating/AC vent.

Go ahead, give your guest something to really vent about.

vent-dragons-4.jpg

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am sorry @TooPatient, that really sucks. :(

It's horrible the way loyal and dedicated and hard working employees are just let go. I know it won't make you feel any better but you are not alone. So many I know who have worked for the same companies for decades have been let go because of the pandemic. One of my former colleagues who has MS and a number of other diseases who worked for our clinic for over 20 years was summarily dismissed last March because of the pandemic. He has been on unemployment and Cobra since and doing very well. I hope you can work out something with the health insurance and meds.

Sending you so many good wishes and gentle hugs. I know this is cold comfort right now but you are going to be OK. (((HUGS))).

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can a venting thread get 111 replies without a single vent pic? :think:

These vents aren't just regular boring vents.
These come with an attacking monster, emerging to scare your guests.
It even has creepy battery-powered glowing LED eyes.

Actually I'd call them prank-art.
You hang it on your wall where one would expect to see a heating/AC vent.

Go ahead, give your guest something to really vent about.

vent-dragons-4.jpg

:lol:

That's the kind of venting that really blows without any release of tension and stress. :cheeky:

oops.jpg
Sort of like backwards venting :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another pharmacy/health insurance vent. Sorry in advance and please just ignore if you’re not in the mood. I’m pissed.

Why must it always be the hardest path? Why can’t anyone do their job right? Why do I always have to work extra hard to get the right thing accomplished when the onus should be on them. If they did their job correctly my (pharmacy related) life would be easier. Hours sucked up on this BS. Why does the pharmacy always mess up? No offense to any of the awesome pharmacists on PS.

Why does my health insurance no longer cover *any* of my meds? What happened to pre existing conditions being covered? How can they legally just STOP covering life saving meds? Expensive meds. With No acceptable substitute.

How?

:/

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient that sucks :(2

I can't help but wonder if the status of his stocks was taken into account when he was let go ?

Best wishes for better days asap

That is something we wonder too. All told, it is a year or so worth of salary that would come in over the next 5 or so years. The possibility that the timing was intentional so they could avoid paying is definitely something I question.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results