shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor policy at Singlestone YAY or NAY?

Would you be okay with the policy or would it stop you from working with them?

• 1. I would not be okay with this and would look elsewhere for custom work.

Votes: 70 84.3%
  • 2. I think it's okay and I would be fine with it.

Votes: 9 10.8%
  • 3. Show me the results, I'm not ready to vote!

Votes: 4 4.8%

• Total voters

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently, Singlestone has a policy that you have to give them a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit in order for them to provide you with pictures of the profiles of their rings! Can you imagine? This was the information provided by Heather, a sales person there. Reasoning? They are protective of their IP of their designs. But what if, after you pay you don't like the profile? You can switch it to any other design of theirs. But... as we've seen multiple times with Singlestone-- going custom can result in settings that do not match your expectations: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reveal-single-stone-reset-lots-of-pics.179152/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/reveal-single-stone-reset-lots-of-pics.179152/[/URL] even if they are still beautiful.

I love Singlestone's designs and already thought their work was very high priced but IMO, I wouldn't be okay with this policy!

Cast your vote!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Huh. That's quite ridiculous. I have nothing but respect for intellectual property, but ... well, first off, a lot of the value they offer is in the craftsmanship, not the design. The designs are lovely, don't get me wrong! I just think other jewelers would have a very tough time recreating their results. And the ones who can? Can probably use their own designs, too.

And second ... I base so much of my decision-making process on how a ring looks from multiple angles that I would never commit to a purchase without seeing it that way.

So, I guess I never purchase from them unless I make a special trip across the country. Sucks.

P.S. - How much of a deposit are we talking, here? $100? $1000? A percentage of the ring's value? What?

audball

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1347314547|3265539 said:
P.S. - How much of a deposit are we talking, here? $100? $1000? A percentage of the ring's value? What?
Per my contact with SS, deposit required is 50%. :-o

ETA: I also agree. The profile is one of the single most important views (for me) and I'd never be able to commit that much money towards something I didn't get to see in full prior to committing.

It'd be going to see it in person to choose or no dice in working with them for me.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Is this a new policy? :-o I can understand charging a small fee....a couple hundred bucks or so, they are taking their time to work with you on a design and the fee would help separate the serious inquires from the merely curious, but charging 50%....non refundable?! No way, I wouldn't do it, I think it's unreasonable!

edit: wait...this is just to see the profile? yeah, totally not happening for me!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I would not pay anyone 50% of the cost of a piece of jewelry just to be able to see more pictures of it. Seems very steep and unreasonable. However, they do nice work and obviously have plenty of business so I guess there are some that do agree with the policy.

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
oh wow. that really sucks. I was totally gonna go with them for a setting in the future, just made up my mind lastnight and see this today.. guess not =(

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't pay a penny. That is ridiculous. I require pictures at the very least, and Pearlman's has sent rings to me to actually see!

(Gypsy, I haven't made the arrangements yet so I don't know the details, but Paul Emerson of Van Craeynest said he would be happy to send me the ring to look at! So let's just say we can all find quality jewelers who will either take pictures or send a sample item.)

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Circe|1347314547|3265539 said:
Huh. That's quite ridiculous. I have nothing but respect for intellectual property, but ... well, first off, a lot of the value they offer is in the craftsmanship, not the design. The designs are lovely, don't get me wrong! I just think other jewelers would have a very tough time recreating their results.

I agree! It's one thing to have an idea for inspiration, but I think anyone who has been around these forums for a bit has seen the nightmarish pieces that can result from taking a photo into a local jeweler and saying "I want it to look like THIS!"

I wouldn't do it.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it's perfectly fine. They're setting themselves up as a *local* business and *locals* can drop by and SEE the profiles with their own two/four eyes. Considering how much blatent copying people do of antiques - seems like it could be a wise decision for them if there's enough local business to be had.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
decodelighted|1347319997|3265610 said:
I think it's perfectly fine. They're setting themselves up as a *local* business and *locals* can drop by and SEE the profiles with their own two/four eyes. Considering how much blatent copying people do of antiques - seems like it could be a wise decision for them if there's enough local business to be had.

But a non-refundable 50% deposit?? (per audball).

audball

Ideal_Rock
sonnyjane|1347320274|3265612 said:

But a non-refundable 50% deposit?? (per audball).
I get what she's saying. I guess they really are more for a local business. It's just unfortunate for the rest of us that love the stylings to have to front money before getting to see the whole design.

In my communications (also with Heather) they do everything they can to ensure you find a design you like. But no, you don't get to see additional photos (more than what's on their website) before laying down money to protect their designs.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would not be comfortable with a 50% non refundable deposit just to view a profile. Nope. uh uh.

If it were 5 or 10 or 25%, it would still be a no. How do you know you are going to like what they produce (well, odds are you WILL.. but I'm just sayin'...). That just doesn't seem comfortable to my budget to plunk down money and potentially just walk away.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1347319122|3265595 said:
I wouldn't pay a penny. That is ridiculous. I require pictures at the very least, and Pearlman's has sent rings to me to actually see!

(Gypsy, I haven't made the arrangements yet so I don't know the details, but Paul Emerson of Van Craeynest said he would be happy to send me the ring to look at! So let's just say we can all find quality jewelers who will either take pictures or send a sample item.)

AWESOME! I had no doubt. I've heard he's VERY accommodating and nice. One of the jewelers here locally carries their work and I'm always just in awe.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gypsy|1347322951|3265653 said:

AWESOME! I had no doubt. I've heard he's VERY accommodating and nice. One of the jewelers here locally carries their work and I'm always just in awe.

Yes, I have had the most cordial email communication with him! He loved VC enough to buy the business which certainly is a commitment! So I am very impressed with how he is doing things!

audball

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1347322951|3265653 said:

Pearlmans did this for me as well since there were no Sholdt retailers in my area. Mailed one out (at their cost) for me to see with no deposit required.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ironic, since they too are guilty of this.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah... I did not know that. I DID know that their website was very picture-lite (and hard for me to navigate since I can only look at decently big pictures of one thing at a time), and that was the reason I decided to go with a local jeweler for my mom's vintage-inspired 30th anniversary ring.* I really won't buy something or commit to work with someone unless I can have A BILLION PICTURES. I am fine with putting my trust in the jeweler, but only if I have seen enough of their work (in pictures or in person) to know that it is warranted.

*I know "local jeweler" are words that strike fear into the hearts of many of you, but I've seen a lot of this guy's custom work and he'll be fine. The ring my mom wants is well within his ability to create, since it's a fairly simple three-stone with engraving. If she wanted a blingtastic pave monster, we'd be going with a PS vendor.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1347324157|3265671 said:
Ironic, since they too are guilty of this.

I have no issue with Singlestone copying rings and yet having this policy. They're probably getting a lot of looky loos and want to make sure it's a legit shot at business before taking the time and energy to deal with more pics. Is it the nicest policy? Nope.

I can tell you that I went in with brooch in hand, Ari volunteered to show/email me lots of pics from their archives if I couldn't find anything in the store, probably because he could see I really was a potential customer. No talk of any deposit to get more pics.

If I were a Internet/distance customer, however, I would not work with them with this policy as I understand it. I need lots of info before committing. Or at least the option to get the info. ::)

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't agree with that and wouldn't buy from them based on this policy unless I could see the item in person. I have no problem with wanting to protect their designs, but that's a mighty big chunk of change for a few extra photos. A lot of us consider several vendors before deciding who to work with. Single Stone have long been considered to be the top for antique and vintage reproductions. I think this policy and people not wanting to outlay that type of money will give other vendors with more flexible policies a chance to be explored and recommended here more.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, that would be a deterrent for me.
In fact, I'll go far as to say they have done this because they don't want to work with non local people perhaps. A 50% non-refundable deposit just to see pics is ludicrous and I cannot help but think it is on purpose. They have enough business that they can choose exactly who they want to work with and that is their choice. Lots of great jewelers and beautiful jewelry to go around and SS is not the only place so it is what it is.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I had a different experience with SS. I contacted them about one of their rings (when I was trying to figure out what to do with my oval) and they bent over backwards sending me photos of this ring in different metals, with colored stones, etc. All BEFORE I'd given them any money.

Once I'd given them a deposit and was trying to decide what I liked/didn't like in terms of tiny little details, Ari sent me several rings to look at, all at no additional cost to me. Even more astounding than that, when I ultimately wasn't thrilled with the ring that was made, Ari made me ANOTHER ring (back to the original design and is what is on my hand now). I don't know of another vendor who would do this for a customer.

I am working with SS on another project right now and Ari sent me samples of a ring in unplated white gold so that I could see it in person. I had already given them a deposit in this case, but the point is that, in my experience, SS goes over and above what is typical customer service.

A deposit is NOT required for them to send images to you, although my guess is that if they have spent weeks sending you multiple images and you have not committed to working with them, at some point, they may decide that asking for a deposit is necessary to determine if you are a serious client or not. IMHO, that is more than reasonable. It's not fair to expect them to send you oodles of images (as if you planned to copy one of their designs) from multiple angles, in different types of lighting etc.

If you are considering a project with SS and have a question about their policy, give them a call to discuss it. They are amazing to work with!

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
yennyfire|1347380949|3266016 said:
I had a different experience with SS. I contacted them about one of their rings (when I was trying to figure out what to do with my oval) and they bent over backwards sending me photos of this ring in different metals, with colored stones, etc. All BEFORE I'd given them any money.

Once I'd given them a deposit and was trying to decide what I liked/didn't like in terms of tiny little details, Ari sent me several rings to look at, all at no additional cost to me. Even more astounding than that, when I ultimately wasn't thrilled with the ring that was made, Ari made me ANOTHER ring (back to the original design and is what is on my hand now). I don't know of another vendor who would do this for a customer.

I am working with SS on another project right now and Ari sent me samples of a ring in unplated white gold so that I could see it in person. I had already given them a deposit in this case, but the point is that, in my experience, SS goes over and above what is typical customer service.

A deposit is NOT required for them to send images to you, although my guess is that if they have spent weeks sending you multiple images and you have not committed to working with them, at some point, they may decide that asking for a deposit is necessary to determine if you are a serious client or not. IMHO, that is more than reasonable. It's not fair to expect them to send you oodles of images (as if you planned to copy one of their designs) from multiple angles, in different types of lighting etc.

If you are considering a project with SS and have a question about their policy, give them a call to discuss it. They are amazing to work with!

Thanks for clarifying this for us. It sure didn't seem like a fair policy.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1347380949|3266016 said:

Yenny, it sounds like this might be a new policy. That's the impression I got from Gypsy's post. May I ask, when did you have your ring made?

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't they realize they lose potential customers with policies like this? :rolleyes:
I hope they decide to revoke this policy. They already have extremely high prices. NEXT!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yenny's experience sounds like the way it should be. So if the original post is stating the current policy, then things are apparently different now unless you are perhaps a prior customer. It is impossible for someone to do business long distance without pictures at minimum. I could not select any of their designs without seeing top and side views of the rings, and I certainly wouldn't want to make a financial commitment when I have no idea if I will choose one of their designs. But it must be what someone said earlier, they just plan on most of their business being local.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No way. I wouldn't pay a penny to see a picture of a profile. In fact, that is my pet peeve, when vendors do not show profile images of the rings on their website. That is pretty basic.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laila619|1347400695|3266237 said:
No way. I wouldn't pay a penny to see a picture of a profile. In fact, that is my pet peeve, when vendors do not show profile images of the rings on their website. That is pretty basic.

I think that's weird. They also blur out the sides of their rings in their photos. At first I thought it was a ridiculous vignette effect, but then realized it was only applied to the shanks and sides of the rings, not the whole photo.

Yes, it's annoying when people "copy" your designs. But hello? If a client buys it, and posts it all over PS, it's going to be available for other vendors to see anyway! Look at our amazing amazing Mike R! ZahraLeyla's ring was copied. There's nothing you can do to stop people from making copies. And this isn't some weird contemporary type of line that is one of a kind. These are antique reproductions, so by that description, THEY are making copies, no?

I just don't see how this will protect them. I think this only hurts their business.

audball

Ideal_Rock
I did not share yenny's experience at all. My first contact with SS was in March 2012 to inquire about one setting that I was interested in. I asked for a price quote and to see a profile picture.

Heather responded with a quote and informed me that they did not provide profile images without a deposit in order to protect their designs, told me the deposit was 50%.

I asked her what happens if I didn't like the whole design upon agreeing to work with them and was told that it could be transferred to a different design or a custom project. No refunds, you can apply the money you fronted to something else, but that's it.

I didn't want custom because I'm not overly creative and didn't want to go through the stressful process. I wanted to see what I was getting. If they had no other designs I liked in full, I'd have been stuck.

Not okay with me.

milton333

Brilliant_Rock
Odd. I inquired about one of their designs and Heather sent me profile pics, no deposit. This was within the last 6 weeks.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My new project is underway now, but I decided to check with Ari to make sure that I wasn't incorrect in saying that they DO NOT require a deposit to send photos of a ring from various angles. I think it's when they get the feeling that a person asks for a ton of photos and it seems they have no plan to have SS do the work. I live in Georgia, so clearly I cannot pop by to look at designs in person and Ari has been incredibly accommodating.

It's hard to say why one customer's experience is different from anothers, but it seems fairly common. Case in point, I approached another PS vendor about my project and they wouldn't give me the time of day. They lost a $4k project because I didn't commit in one email. I think expecting someone to commit based on one email is ridiculous.

The bottom line is that if you see a design that you like, don't rely solely on anyone else's experience. Contact the vendor yourself, see what they have to say and make your own decision.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results