chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another indoor picture

swalatsav103.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The last picture is taken outdoors. I think Eric's pictures are reasonably accurate. The original picture on Swala was hedious though and looks nothing like the tsavorite I received. I'm so glad I asked for additional pictures.

swalatsav104.jpg

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
So, take this with a pinch of salt, as this was my first gem purchase, and I''ve still not been able to get the colour right (the lit up parts look like a pure fanta orange, rather than bits of orangey-chocolate-brown and bits of yellow)

vendorvscaptured.jpg

The description (which I didn''t put enough emphasis on when deciding the stone, and misunderstood - oops!):

A very nice spessartite with a brighter medium orange "mandarin" color. This stone is a bit on the shallow side, so it''s a little more brilliant around the edges than in the middle. There are also a few very tiny bubbles in it, but they are hard to spot without magnification.

I''m in the process of figuring out whether to keep or return this stone.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Vendor pic on the left, mine on the right. I think his picture was right on target colorwise but didn''t come close in capturing the sparkle these garnets have.

kiz-garnetvendor.JPG

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
My picture on left and vendor''s on right. His picture is right on for color. Mine came off looking blue/green/grey instead of yellow/green/brown.

kiz-cateyevendor.JPG

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to contribute to this thread! Please remember to name the vendor in your posts!

Rick Martin at ArtCutGems.com
Rick''s blerb: Namibian blue-green tourmaline, when available, comes close in color to the “neon” hues of famed Paraiba but sells at a much lower price. What this little gem may lack in “glow” it makes up for in brilliance. Weight approx. .74 ct., calibrated to 6 mm. for standard setitings. Fine modified Portuguese cut and much better than eye clean clarity. No treatment of any kind. (All uses, N).

My blerb: A beautiful, brilliant gem. Vendor picture is on the left, others are mine. Picture is representative, stone is brighter in stronger light. Great color and presence on this one. Shown with a blue spinel and other green tourmalines. Rick is a real gem of a guy to work with!

mercntourm.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/17/2009 10:45:33 PM
Author: mercoledi
Thank you to all of you who have taken the time to contribute to this thread! Please remember to name the vendor in your posts!

Rick Martin at ArtCutGems.com
Rick''s blerb: Namibian blue-green tourmaline, when available, comes close in color to the “neon” hues of famed Paraiba but sells at a much lower price. What this little gem may lack in “glow” it makes up for in brilliance. Weight approx. .74 ct., calibrated to 6 mm. for standard setitings. Fine modified Portuguese cut and much better than eye clean clarity. No treatment of any kind. (All uses, N).

My blerb: A beautiful, brilliant gem. Vendor picture is on the left, others are mine. Picture is representative, stone is brighter in stronger light. Great color and presence on this one. Shown with a blue spinel and other green tourmalines. Rick is a real gem of a guy to work with!
Mercoledi,
Very pretty Namibian. I like your collection of blues, violets and mints.
1.gif

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/17/2009 10:45:33 PM

Oops! *blush* That would be me. The vendor in the two pics above is Rick Martin if Art Cut Gems.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
No worries Kismet! I''m sure we''ve all left something out from time to time!

From Gene at precisiongem.com

Gem 271 - Blue Green Tourmaline - 1.32 ct. 6.1 mm square. This stone is from Afghanistan, and is cut in a square with an opposed bar to give it a nice neon light type flash when it’s rocked. Color 5, Clarity 3+

Really beautiful stone, yellow green on one axis and blue-green on the other, this stone displays nearly every green possible. Amazing in indirect sun when rocked. This was from Gene''s "name your price sale" and I would happily have paid double!

mercgenetourm1.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/19/2009 8:07:15 PM
No worries Kismet! I''m sure we''ve all left something out from time to time!

From Gene at precisiongem.com

Gem 271 - Blue Green Tourmaline - 1.32 ct. 6.1 mm square. This stone is from Afghanistan, and is cut in a square with an opposed bar to give it a nice neon light type flash when it’s rocked. Color 5, Clarity 3+

Really beautiful stone, yellow green on one axis and blue-green on the other, this stone displays nearly every green possible. Amazing in indirect sun when rocked. This was from Gene''s ''name your price sale'' and I would happily have paid double!
WOW mercoledi your collection is just amazing. I really like the new tourmaline you bought and it looks like Gene''s photos are very accurate. How in the world do you take such great photos of your stones, is there a tutorial for colored stone photos somewhere?

Magenta

Shiny_Rock
Today is my lucky day, it appears. More stones!

This one is from Aussie Sapphire. The vendors are lovely to deal with, and respond quickly to email during the Australian day. They're quite happy to find you stones not listed on their website, if they have the colour you're after. Colour looks accurate when there's light shining on the gem.

100_0844.JPG

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
AJS - bi-color tourmaline.

Vendor:

bi-color-1202358936.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
IRL:

gem 0000000444.jpg

Kunzite

Brilliant_Rock
A little darker IRL but not too bad, my pictures are a little dark.

gem 0000000777.jpg

weegem

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2009 9:09:18 PM
Author: mochi
Spess Garnet from Dan Stair, 1.75ct. Very Pretty in real life.

SSCN2730.JPG

SSCN2734.JPG

6.gif
That is the most amazing spess!! i have got to get me one of these!!

FAB thread!!

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I trust Multicolour's pictures, they have been spot on until now. This one was as well. I also like that they are conservative with the term "eye clean", it really means there are no eye visible inclusions. My pictures were taken at sunset, that's why the color is warmer. This zircon is a fireball!

zirconmultcolagge.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gene of Precision Gems. 2.55 blue zircon. His is the top left pic (obviously! His photos are awesome, and mine aspire to be half as good!), and mine are all of the rest, in various lighting conditions. His photographs seem to be extremely accurate to me!

Sorry for the shoddy collage making and the huge chunks of white. I''m tired.

Gene Zircon comparison.jpg

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
Recent acquisition - 3.20 cushion pink tourmaline from Barry. I''ve worked with him before but it was on a pear tourmaline that he didn''t cut himself. He did cut this, and I''m super impressed at the cut quality. I''d also concur with the many other comments saying Barry''s photos are very much representative of what you see in person.

PS PkTourmCush Collage.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
My first coloured stone purchase from Dan Stair - vendor pic on left, middle pic indoors under a lamp, right pic outdoors in indirect sunlight. The spinel does seem a bit darker than Dan''s picture but not as dark as you might think from the photos I took - for some reason it looks alot lighter IRL.

danasschercollage.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
My second stone, also from Dan Stair - a blue/purple colour shift spinel. Vendor pic on left, middle pic in sunlight, right pic indoor lighting. Dan''s picture of this one is very close to how it looks in outside/in the sun, it does go quite a bit darker indoors or on a cloudy day though.

dancolourshift1.jpg

MissDayna

Shiny_Rock
My latest accquisition - a Barry Bridgestock beauty, lilac/powder blue colour shift spinel. The pictures that he sent me are on the left - they are very accurate compared with what I see IRL!

barrystonecollage.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My first spinel. Cut by Dan Stair. It is 1.01 cts and 5.75mm. It is a purple blue moderate color shifter. Dan''s photo is accurate for color, remembering that the color on this stone does shift depending on lighting. His photo also has the stone tilted a little which may alter the look. Dan''s photo is up first. The next photo is mine outside with sunlight. The stone is shaded by flowers. You can see the color is what Dan''s photo has shown.

shspinel1.JPG
shspinel2.JPG

Next photo is indoors and you can see that it looks much more purple in indoor lighting.

shspinelangled.JPG

Next up the shift to blue. Outside on a sunny day with indirect light. This is my best shot of the light blue look.

shspinelshaded.JPG

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ebay's Weblorn Lavender Spinel. Very accurate
Vendor:
http://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/lavender-spinel-oval120.jpg
lavender-spinel-oval120.jpg

mine:
lavspinel1.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
0.88cts mahenge spinel purchased from multicolour

vendor pic:
mahenge_spinel.jpg

my pictures:
_spinel_005.jpg
_spinel_002.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Tundura Tanzania Spinel 1.38 cts 6.5mm purchased from Barry Bridgestock at acstones

vendor pics:
MVC-165S.JPG
MVC-166S.JPG

my pics:
spinel_001.jpg
spinel_004.jpg

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
purchased from Dan Stair at customgemstones

STONE: Paraiba Tourmaline
WEIGHT: .39 Cts.
CUT: Round Brilliant
DIMENSIONS: 4.80 mm
ORIGIN: Brazil
COLOR: Slightly Bluish Neon Green
CLARITY: Very Good+ (Eye Clean)

vendor pic:
to1122.jpg

my pics:
Picture%20084-crop.jpg
paraiba_030.jpg
paraiba_032-2.jpg

unset with a tourmaline from Barry at acstones set into a 14ky semi-bezel slider

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
Tourmaline 1.65 ct. 7.6mm round brilliant from Barry Bridgestock at acstones

vendor pic:
t-1844g_300_general.jpg

my pic:
Picture%20090-crop.jpg

with paraiba from Dan Stair

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
all of these stones were purchased from vallejo916 on ebay

vendor pics:
620c_1.jpg

11f8_1.jpg

3c4f_1.jpg

3f2d_1.jpg

my pics:
set_045-.jpg
set_069-.jpg

vallejo916_007-.jpg
vallejo916_054-.jpg

vallejo916_041-.jpg
vallejo916_017-.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Artcutgems.com my Peridot concave

peridotcomprvendorartcutgem1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I might return this because for me, it''s a tad bit too yellow, although it''s a lovely stone. The picture is very accurate. My shot was taken outdoors during sunset.

TLgemritespess.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results