shape
carat
color
clarity

Vendor pictures and owner pictures of PS stones

mochi

Ideal_Rock
2.44ct Chrystoberyl from Gene at PrecisionGem. Very true to the seller's picture in color, but I think it's prettier in person. Vendor's picture is on the bottom.

SSCN2183.JPG

SSCN2187.JPG

xxxchx.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Spess Garnet from Dan Stair, 1.75ct. Very Pretty in real life.

SSCN2730.JPG

SSCN2734.JPG

spess1.75ct5.40x6.94dana.jpg

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Padparascha from The Natural Sapphire Company. Between pads being notoriously hard to photograph, and their photos not always being very representative, I''d recommend seeing the stones in person. Luckily, they''re very obliging about sending stones out to you to preview :)

The ring picture is from the vendor (The color caught my eye in person, and so they removed the stone and sold it to me)

vendorforcomparisoin.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Dan''s blue spinel. My photos are a bit darker than the actual photo, but again stone looked quite different from Dan''s photo.

bluespinelcompare.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My first Zircon, from Gene. It''s an interesting stone, bit brown under certain lighting but more peachy other times.

zirconcompare.jpg

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Umbalite Garnet from Barry, this is probably one of my favorite stones. Color was pretty right on the money from Barry's photo, it darkened a tiny bit when it was put into a bezel but it has a beautiful intense pink color.

garnetcompare3.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Barry told me he uses something called "reveal lighting." I''m not sure what that is, but perhaps it is what attributes to the true color in his photos.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 5:14:23 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Barry told me he uses something called ''reveal lighting.'' I''m not sure what that is, but perhaps it is what attributes to the true color in his photos.
GE Reveal light bulbs. We have installed them in some lamps, and I can finally sort dark socks at night! Gemstones look great, too.

reveal_collage.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I have to get some of those so I can take better pictures of my gems!!
31.gif

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Barry told me he uses something called ''reveal lighting.'' I''m not sure what that is, but perhaps it is what attributes to the true color in his photos.

You can get GE Reveal lightbulbs at the store. It just makes everything appear it''s "true" color. Other lightbulbs can make things look like different hues. I hope that makes sense! We got some for our bathroom so I can see what my makeup really looks like before I leave. ;-)

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2009 5:57:31 PM
Author: Fly Girl

GE Reveal light bulbs. We have installed them in some lamps, and I can finally sort dark socks at night! Gemstones look great, too.

Whoops, replied before I saw your post. :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
We have Reveal bulbs all over the house. I''m a snob and won''t allow any other stinky lighbulbs in here. Lol. Plus, I''m not a fan of yellow light on blue stuff (and everything in our place is blue!)

blinkydoll

Brilliant_Rock
TRU DAT!
2.gif

that''s all I use in my house

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Yellow Beryl/Heliodore from ACS.
1.51 cts, 7x7x6.5mm. Supernova oval cut by Barry.

I would say as usual Barry''s photo is great and very true to life. If anything, the photo is
perhaps just the *tiniest" bit lighter than the gem. I think it shows a lil more orange IRL
but thats not a bad thing, infact I really like it
1.gif

This gem changes personality in diff. light quite abit too, as I hope the pics show -
(top left from Barry, on hand indoors in arvo sunlight,
two on right indirect sun outdoors, and bottom left indoors under halogens and flash.)

beryl pics2.jpg

katebar

Brilliant_Rock
My 2.33 Morogoro Garnet from Rick at Art cut gems

kbgarnet14.jpg

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Tanzania Malaya Garnet from ACS (Barry)
1.37ct 7.3x5.5mm
Supernova medium/dk red orange

I really this stone. Color is very bright and changes from orange to pink and it's never the same. It does go a bit muddy in certain lighting.

zzzzzz.jpg

SSCN4296.JPG

SSCN4299.JPG

SSCN4334.JPG

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
This is an update to a previous post. I purchased this .55 ct blue/green montana sapphire from Dan Stair, then sent it back to have a twin cut. In the mean time, Dan reset his image settings in response to feedback from this thread and re-photographed my stone. The top left is Dan''s original image, the top center and right are his later (post-adjustment) images of the same stone. Below are my images. I think that the new settings are now much closer.

updatemontana2.jpg

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Here is my new .57 ct mint garnet from Gene/Precision Gem. I'm not sure I think the color is minty, even when I saw it on his website, since it has a bit of yellow to it...but I love it, whatever you want to call it! In the sunlight (right and bottom photos), the color is almost perfectly matched to the website. It's a lot "mintier" in incandescent light (middle left). It's a baby stone, but I adore smaller stones. And it sparkles much more than the photos are showing!

57ptmintgarnetcollage.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love your new little mint garnet. I''ve been eyeing it on Gene''s website for some time. I''m glad someone finally got it and posted pics.

31.gif

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, TL! It''s really an adorable little stone, but I''m afraid to take it out of the box too much because I don''t want to lose it somehow. The sparkle is amazing, Gene was definitely telling the truth when he said the picture didn''t capture how lively it is.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/7/2009 1:15:18 PM
Author: mercoledi
This is an update to a previous post. I purchased this .55 ct blue/green montana sapphire from Dan Stair, then sent it back to have a twin cut. In the mean time, Dan reset his image settings in response to feedback from this thread and re-photographed my stone. The top left is Dan''s original image, the top center and right are his later (post-adjustment) images of the same stone. Below are my images. I think that the new settings are now much closer.
Yay for Dan!
A huge improvement I think..

Here is my blue green tourmaline recently purchased from Dan,
I think the vendor pic is a great match!

tourm pics compare.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very cool idea to give us an idea of what to expect. I love all the stones too.

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Ok, finally putting these together for my stones. First, stones by Gene from precisiongem.com

Top is vendor photo. I think his photos are quite good!

My spess

spess compare.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Another stone from Gene from precisiongem.com- little tsav.

tsav compare.JPG

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Comparison photos for my sapphire from Barry at ACS. I find his photos exceptionally accurate! His photos are the top row, showing the color change as well.

sapph compare.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vallejo916 vendor photo (on left) and my hideous photo on the right. At least the color matches. LOL!

TLvallejorubellite.JPG

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks to everyone who posted so far, this is a great thread!

OK I''m going to try to drag and drop.

This is a Spessartite Garnet I bought from ACStones it was cut by Barry. It is 2.03 ct and cut as a Round Brilliant. In person I do not see any color zoning. I would say that the color of the stone is really I lighter version of the photos I''ve taken. Barry''s shot brings out the detail of the cutting really well.

First up the vendor photo

Spess%202.03ct%207.1mm.jpg

034%20Edited%20for%20PS.JPG

This photo shows the size on my hand and the stone is lighter than this color in real life.
IRL it looks more orange and I don''t really see red at all. It sparkles and attracts attention from across the room.

Sparkle shot.

Spessertite%20and%20Diamond%20036.jpg

Thanks for looking!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how to collage my stones so I''m sorry everyone has to put up with my multiple posts. Swala Gem Traders is a new vendor here on PS and deserves some mention for the excellent tsavorite that he sold to me.

Vendor''s picture

Swalatsav100.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A picture from the vendor of the tsavorite on the hand.

swalatsav101.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My home made picture.
9.gif

swalatsav102.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results