Brilliant_Rock
Sparklequest sunstone, 10 x 12 x 6.4 mm, 5.56 carats, pink schiller:

Sunstone Sparklequest natsplat.jpg

Sunstone peachy.jpg

melave

Shiny_Rock
hi all

I had a couple of stones that came in the post last week

7.45ct amethyst liguid flower cut from osirisisgems. I really love the cut on this.

osirisis .JPG

liquidflower1.jpg

liquidflower2.jpg

melave

Shiny_Rock
1.5ct colour change sapphire from Dana at mastercut gems. What a lovely person he is. He could capture the blue better than i could. I could see it but couldn't not capture it

mastercut sapphire1.jpg

mastercut sapphire2.jpg

cc sapphire 1.jpg

ccsapphire 2.jpg

melave

Shiny_Rock
ok last ones :)
1.54ct blue green tourmaline from Dana at Mastercut gems again. i don't see any blue in it, but i still like it

mastercut tourmaline.jpg

tourm.jpg

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Man, it is hard to take photos like this...I should sign up for a photography class!

Here is a photo of my unset stones and vendor photos (although the BB color change purple spinel vendor photo seems to have gone missing!)

IMG_0495.JPG

Mozambique Tourmaline copy.jpg

peridot - 6.4.png

pl_2_detail_1.png

Monpetitbijoux

Rough_Rock
Trade
Forgot to mention that Gene's peridot is cut in his Jua round design...and man does it sparkle!

IMG_0241.JPG

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1.43 Mahenge Spinel from Tan.

spinel_0.jpg

057.jpg

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
Barry Bridgestock heliodor, specs: 1.40 cts., 7.3mm.

Vendor photo:

Barry%20Heliodore_1.jpg

Mine:

Birthday%20bling%20BB%20heliodor%203.jpg

Barry Bridgestock Orissa garnet, specs: 2.35 cts., 8.0mm.

Vendor photo:

Barry%20Orissa%20Garnet_0.jpg

Mine:

Birthday%20bling%20BB%20garnet.jpg

PositivelyPeanut

Shiny_Rock
This thread is extremely helpful. Thanks to everyone for posting the photos and info. I now feel a lot more confident about purchasing online from some of the vendors. I've got my eye on one stone in particular from Barry at ACS and have no doubt now that what I see will be what I get. I just need to pull the trigger...

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a pinkish purple spinel from Gemrite. The cutting is good but the color is mostly grey with some purple. I only see pink flashes in direct sunlight. I am going to return it.

Vendor pic
pink%20purple%20spinel.jpg

My pic
002_4.jpg

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Barry's Wollo Opal: 2.32 cts., 13.7x9.6mm. Barry's picture reminds me of a lake in sunset.

My pictures: indoor with ambient light:

Barry's photo is actually quite true to life; I had a difficult time to capture the red, which is actually quite dominant.

op-Barry.jpg

Indoor.JPG

Atwater

Brilliant_Rock
Barry's opal in sunlight:

indoor with lights:

In sun.JPG

Indoor_light.JPG

chloeishere

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous opal!

This is my engagement ring stone. I'm about to send it off to be set, and I'm going to miss pulling it out and looking at it every day.

Cut by Gene (precisiongem.com). It's his Jua round design, and it sparkles like crazy!

1.15 carat Montana sapphire, 5.65mm "face" (I'm not sure how deep, but probably a bit deeper than a round brilliant because it has a fairly high crown), a light blue/ lavender color, gently heated.

He cut it for me, but I asked him how he would rate the stone on his site (he didn't put it up for public sale):
Color: 8/10
Clarity: 9/10
Brilliance: 5/5
TQR: 9.0

His picture was pretty darn accurate in terms of color, but it's a loooot nicer in person (definitely a lot nicer than my pictures, too-- I have a mid-range camera and very little experience photographing gems). It has a lot of dispersion, a lot more than I was expecting based on the description of sapphire's refractive index. It does lose some saturation in low incandescent light, more of a silvery-purpley-blue. I absolutely love it in all lights, which is what matters to me!

1.15ct sapphire.jpg

IMG_4568c.jpg

IMG_4657c.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
chloeishere|1318470291|3038988 said:
Gorgeous opal!

This is my engagement ring stone. I'm about to send it off to be set, and I'm going to miss pulling it out and looking at it every day.

Cut by Gene (precisiongem.com). It's his Jua round design, and it sparkles like crazy!

1.15 carat Montana sapphire, 5.65mm "face" (I'm not sure how deep, but probably a bit deeper than a round brilliant because it has a fairly high crown), a light blue/ lavender color, gently heated.

He cut it for me, but I asked him how he would rate the stone on his site (he didn't put it up for public sale):
Color: 8/10
Clarity: 9/10
Brilliance: 5/5
TQR: 9.0

His picture was pretty darn accurate in terms of color, but it's a loooot nicer in person (definitely a lot nicer than my pictures, too-- I have a mid-range camera and very little experience photographing gems). It has a lot of dispersion, a lot more than I was expecting based on the description of sapphire's refractive index. It does lose some saturation in low incandescent light, more of a silvery-purpley-blue. I absolutely love it in all lights, which is what matters to me!

Love that stone. Please start a thread on it!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LisaRN|1318348789|3037767 said:
This is a pinkish purple spinel from Gemrite. The cutting is good but the color is mostly grey with some purple. I only see pink flashes in direct sunlight. I am going to return it.

Vendor pic
pink%20purple%20spinel.jpg

My pic
002_4.jpg

Just wanted everyone to know that I shipped the stone back to John via priority mail and I he refunded me two days later with an apology that the stone did not work out for me. Excellent customer service!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I would like to agree that John is a wonderful vendor to work with !!!
+1

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a Richard Homer Concave Cut Oval sapphire bought from Icestore.com. Ari was a such a pleasant man to work with and very responsive. Although the sapphire didn't work out I would still recommend working with Ari and will return to his shop in the future. This cut sparkles like crazy even indoors under flourescent lighting.

bluesapphire pictures.JPG

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Here is my first asscher and my first colorless colored stone...
2.29 carat spinel from Burma, 6.8mm x 6.1mm deep.
This is from Dana, and was a recut by Grey Weaver of an old stone.
First is the vendor photo, next are my photos in various light. It looks kind of steel greyish with lots of sparkes in the sun and a light lavenderish blueish otherwise.
I'll start a thread on it since I need help with setting it!

1001smiles-asscher-spinel.jpg

1001smiles

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I got three garnets from Gene over the summer and finally getting a chance to photograph them.
--Lindi garnet, 3.3 ct, 8.5mm dia. Fairly dark, but I love the red color. It's also my first concave cut and I think it's very cool.
--Merelani garnet, 1.47ct, 6.3 mm dia. I think this is more pastel than considered ideal, but I don't like green, so pastel minty works great for me. And it's super sparkly.
--Loliondo garnet, 2ct, 6.7mm dia. This one has some sugar inclusions that you see in the close-up photo. They are not visible in real life, but the stone just glows.

Thank you, Gene!

1001smiles-garnetsfromgene.jpg

1001smiles-garnetsfromgene1.jpg

blithesome71

Shiny_Rock
Here's a 7.60ct CLINOHUMITE (VVS2, 13.2x11.2x7.8mm) from a trusted ebay seller... This one's a steal for its beauty at a very low price. Much better IRL than in the photos ::)

Clino1.jpg

111920111075.jpg

111920111084.jpg

111920111074.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here are come color change garnets from ebay (shop called desertfox412003). Just got them in the mail today, my first cc garnets. Kind of tiny, and the trilliant is included, but the color change is awesome. They are a little small (.52ct trilliant and .74ct oval) and expensive for my budget, so I'm still thinking whether to keep or not.

They were so hard to photograph! My eye saw teal (especially the trilliant--so intense!), but the camera only wanted to see purple. Maybe in the morning light they will be better. Overall I felt like the vendor did a good job with the pics of the cc garnets (which is not the case with a blue spinel I got from them, but that would be a different post). Of course, their images are brightened and saturated, but all the inclusions are revealed, and the colors are overall true, just a little darker in real life.

cc garnet trilliant vendor images.jpg

cc garnet oval vendor images.jpg

cc garnet.jpg

K9

Brilliant_Rock
Gemfix Tourmaline

Their photo
k9tourm.jpg

Mine
k9IMG_6681.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! Your photo is amazing. IRL it must be triple amazing!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
Because in real life it looks nothing like Peter's photo!

Here's my photo of it outdoors on a sunny day with the sun coming over my shoulder. It is a very bright stone that looks great in all lighting conditions. Under low light and incandescent light, it is a softer, paler green. Outdoors in the sun or under overcast conditions it is a bright blue-green, almost turquoise. Under my bathroom lights it is a more blue than green.

In this photo I am wearing a black sweater. The yellow-beige strip at the bottom of the stone is, I think, a reflection of my car in the background.

Yes, my hands are always that red. I have very ruddy skin. ETA: The color in this photo is washed out. It is a bright stone. Peter is great to work with. And the polish on this stone is amazing. It is a very sleek and elegant cut.

CIMG3095.JPG

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow. :o The color looks so different!

Lula

Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1330571274|3137975 said:
Oh wow. :o The color looks so different!

Yes, it is a much brighter stone in real life than Peter's photo shows. And my photo is washed out, too. I'll start a thread with better photos when I'm ready to look at settings.

Is that an aqua in your avatar, thbmok? It's lovely :love:

Lula

Ideal_Rock
thbmok|1331295956|3144889 said:

Thanks for linking me to your thread. Your aqua is gorgeous! They are such unusual stones -- kind of soft and watery looking (Well, "aqua" does mean "water"!) with a metallic sheen that I really like. Peter told me the "silver" or metallic quality is unique to aquamarines.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results