shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW VCA Magic Alhambra 4-motif earrings

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
TLDR: I love how much of a playful statement these earrings are, but can see why they’re not for everyone due to the weight and noise the motifs make. If iridescence matters to you, consider seeing them in store first (if there is stock) as my pair are not particularly iridescent.

There are very few pictures and reviews of the 4-motif Magic Alhambra earrings online, so I thought I'd go into depth about them here.

The story
Back in summer 2023, I purchased a WG onyx pave 5-motif bracelet that was absolutely stunning but I knew I wouldn't wear it enough, so I tried to return it (post here). However, the return was met with difficulty as VCA claimed there were signs of usage on the bracelet but couldn’t provide me with any photos or evidence.

In the end, I contacted head office with a very proper email and evidence from my side, but they would only allow store credit. To be fair, there are worse places than VCA to have store credit, so I didn’t push it further.

And so the question became, what do I want to do with this store credit?

As I try to have only one item per category and no duplicates (there are definitely duplicates though, sigh), I checked against my spreadsheet and one piece I am missing is “large, fancy chandelier earrings”. I’m an earrings girl at heart and love a good statement earring!

I’d tried on many diamond chandelier earrings in the past as well as VCA 3-motifs, but the diamond chandeliers didn’t have a strong design element and I found the 3-motifs too elegant for me (the pave 3-motifs are breathtaking though).

However, the MOP 4-motifs are large, fancy, within budget and an elusive animal. There aren’t many mod shots of these in the wild and reviews were mixed, with the main cons being (1) they’re heavy and therefore uncomfortable, and (2) they make jingly jangly noises. Plus, they were made to order only so it wasn’t possible to try on first.

Knowing and trusting that the finished product would be beautiful, I took the leap and placed an order. The estimated wait time was 1-3 months and they arrived in just under four weeks. Anecdotally, I also enquired about the Magic hammered single stud earrings - wait time on these would’ve been up to 1 year.

At the time of placing the order, I requested a strongly iridescent MOP with a preference for blues/greens rather than pink tones. The SA said they can’t take preferences into account, only that he was sure I’d be happy with the finished product.

The review
Design
: the asymmetry to the design gives it a playfulness - this is why I personally prefer this over the three motif which are more classic and elegant. Note that the top and third motif are a “small” Magic size at 20mm (which is the size of the Magic stud earrings) and the bottom motif is a “large” Magic size at 26mm (which is the size of the Magic long pendant). The smallest motif is the standard Vintage size at 15mm. Comparison photo with my Sweet and Vintage onyx motifs below.

There is a difference between the left and right earring - they are mirror copies of each other, and therefore the design does look better the right way round, but isn’t too noticeable if you wear them the wrong way (as I did the first time - whoops).

Materials: maybe my eyes have been spoiled by the beauties I’ve seen on PS, but the iridescence is not amazing on these MOP. I know I shouldn’t expect MOP to perform like GMOP but I was hoping for stronger colour play on the earrings. However, I think this is a detail that 99% won’t notice and I don’t mind enough to kick up a fuss to replace the MOP motifs. Comparison with my iridescent Hermes MOP watch dial below.

Weight / comfort: these puppies aren’t light at 38g (19g each), although they’re not as heavy as some of the diamond chandeliers I’ve tried on. For context, the VCA Vintage onyx single motif studs are ~7g (3.5g each) and the VCA 3-motif MOP/onyx/GMOP are ~34g (17g per ear) - note these weights were found online as I don't own either of these.

For me, this weight is fine for occasion wear. The longest I’ve worn them was 4-5 hours and whilst I can definitely feel the weight, my ears didn’t experience much discomfort.

The standard VCA earring post fits me well so no adjustment needed on that front. The post can be screwed into two positions - I wear mine in the higher setting ie lower post hole.

Noise: the motifs clink against each other with movement. It’s not loud, but noticeable at first, and then it starts blending into the background. Someone on the other forum described these as a wind chime sound and I agree - to me, they actually sound rather melodic and beautiful as opposed to annoying or distracting (a friend at dinner complimented the sound too), but I made the mistake of wearing them to a classical music concert where I spent two hours trying to keep my head as still as possible...!

Styling (for me): as these are MOP + YG, they don’t feel too formal - I wore these to a diner for lunch and didn’t feel too dressed up for the occasion.

I tend to keep the neckline simple with either a small necklace or no necklace at all. I do wear them with my onyx Alhambra ring, as there is enough distance between the ears and hands for it not to be too matchy-matchy.

Cost per wear: hah! Whilst CPW is an important metric for me, I knew the CPW would be low. Nevertheless, I like how these can be worn both casually and formally, and they are certainly high impact! I’ve made peace that these do poorly on CPW but rank highly on enjoyment, and I find myself reaching for these every time I feel even *slightly* fancy.

I’m also hoping that, short of any head banging, the clinking won’t abrade the motifs too much, especially since they aren’t daily wear earrings.

Overall, they’re an immensely fun pair of statement earrings that can be worn on many occasions (just not when you need to be very quiet like a classical music concert!). Whilst I’m a little disappointed by the iridescence of the MOP on my particular pair, they’re earrings so I’m not the one who sees this detail when they’re being worn (hah!).

1eda2ecf-3a81-485f-89fa-b3687e0a39e2.jpg

79ff2f5a-b5cb-4aea-bf71-bd75b3f650a1.jpg

5aa8d733-5c59-40ff-9a20-7656dd4332ff.jpg

e5626457-3167-4edf-b32f-6c39ea439e98.jpg

bccef7b0-dd90-436a-98cb-1b0defc8009c.jpg

e882ba1b-fc1b-4676-9254-829e14783a87.jpg

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! Congrats!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TLDR: I love how much of a playful statement these earrings are, but can see why they’re not for everyone due to the weight and noise the motifs make. If iridescence matters to you, consider seeing them in store first (if there is stock) as my pair are not particularly iridescent.

There are very few pictures and reviews of the 4-motif Magic Alhambra earrings online, so I thought I'd go into depth about them here.

The story
Back in summer 2023, I purchased a WG onyx pave 5-motif bracelet that was absolutely stunning but I knew I wouldn't wear it enough, so I tried to return it (post here). However, the return was met with difficulty as VCA claimed there were signs of usage on the bracelet but couldn’t provide me with any photos or evidence.

In the end, I contacted head office with a very proper email and evidence from my side, but they would only allow store credit. To be fair, there are worse places than VCA to have store credit, so I didn’t push it further.

As I try to have only one item per category and no duplicates (there are definitely duplicates though, sigh), I checked against my spreadsheet and one piece I am missing is “large, fancy chandelier earrings”. I’m an earrings girl at heart and love a good statement earring!

I’d tried on many diamond chandelier earrings in the past as well as VCA 3-motifs, but the diamond chandeliers didn’t have a strong design element and I found the 3-motifs too elegant for me (the pave 3-motifs are breathtaking though).

However, the MOP 4-motifs are large, fancy, within budget and an elusive animal. There aren’t many mod shots of these in the wild and reviews were mixed, with the main cons being (1) they’re heavy and therefore uncomfortable, and (2) they make jingly jangly noises. Plus, they were made to order only so it wasn’t possible to try on first.

Knowing and trusting that the finished product would be beautiful, I took the leap and placed an order. The estimated wait time was 1-3 months and they arrived in just under four weeks. Anecdotally, I also enquired about the Magic hammered single stud earrings - wait time on these would’ve been up to 1 year.

At the time of placing the order, I requested a strongly iridescent MOP with a preference for blues/greens rather than pink tones. The SA said they can’t take preferences into account, only that he was sure I’d be happy with the finished product.

The review
Design
: the asymmetry to the design gives it a playfulness - this is why I personally prefer this over the three motif which are more classic and elegant. Note that the top and third motif are a “small” Magic size at 20mm (which is the size of the Magic stud earrings) and the bottom motif is a “large” Magic size at 26mm (which is the size of the Magic long pendant). The smallest motif is the standard Vintage size at 15mm. Comparison photo with my Sweet and Vintage onyx motifs below.

There is a difference between the left and right earring - they are mirror copies of each other, and therefore the design does look better the right way round, but isn’t too noticeable if you wear them the wrong way (as I did the first time - whoops).

Materials: maybe my eyes have been spoiled by the beauties I’ve seen on PS, but the iridescence is not amazing on these MOP. I know I shouldn’t expect MOP to perform like GMOP but I was hoping for stronger colour play on the earrings. However, I think this is a detail that 99% won’t notice and I don’t mind enough to kick up a fuss to replace the MOP motifs. Comparison with my iridescent Hermes MOP watch dial below.

Weight / comfort: these puppies aren’t light at 38g (19g each), although they’re not as heavy as some of the diamond chandeliers I’ve tried on. For context, the VCA Vintage onyx single motif studs are ~7g (3.5g each) and the VCA 3-motif MOP/onyx/GMOP are ~34g (17g per ear) - note these weights were found online as I don't own either of these.

For me, this weight is fine for occasion wear. The longest I’ve worn them was 4-5 hours and whilst I can definitely feel the weight, my ears didn’t experience much discomfort.

The standard VCA earring post fits me well so no adjustment needed on that front. The post can be screwed into two positions - I wear mine in the higher setting ie lower post hole.

Noise: the motifs clink against each other with movement. It’s not loud, but noticeable at first, and then it starts blending into the background. Someone on the other forum described these as a wind chime sound and I agree - to me, they actually sound rather melodic and beautiful as opposed to annoying or distracting (a friend at dinner complimented the sound too), but I made the mistake of wearing them to a classical music concert where I spent two hours trying to keep my head as still as possible...!

Styling (for me): as these are MOP + YG, they don’t feel too formal - I wore these to a diner for lunch and didn’t feel too dressed up for the occasion.

I tend to keep the neckline simple with either a small necklace or no necklace at all. I do wear them with my onyx Alhambra ring, as there is enough distance between the ears and hands for it not to be too matchy-matchy.

Cost per wear: hah! Whilst CPW is an important metric for me, I knew the CPW would be low. Nevertheless, I like how these can be worn both casually and formally, and they are certainly high impact! I’ve made peace that these do poorly on CPW but rank highly on enjoyment, and I find myself reaching for these every time I feel even *slightly* fancy.

I’m also hoping that, short of any head banging, the clinking won’t abrade the motifs too much, especially since they aren’t daily wear earrings.

Overall, they’re an immensely fun pair of statement earrings that can be worn on many occasions (just not when you need to be very quiet like a classical music concert!). Whilst I’m a little disappointed by the iridescence of the MOP on my particular pair, they’re earrings so I’m not the one who sees this detail when they’re being worn (hah!).

Gorgeous statement earrings! They look beautiful on you!!

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are quite the statement earrings, @Pomelo !

Sometimes we buy things just because we love the design so much--I hope you cont. to enjoy them for many years to come!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Pomelo Your writeups are always so helpful!

If I made a list of PSers who I thought might enjoy these you’d have been on that shortlist for sure! They’re very very *you* :love: And I love that you wear them with all your other earrings - makes for such fun and flirty drama ::)

On the iridescence - I remember reading somewhere that VCA’s ideal white MOP is smooth and white, with minimal iridescence… Maybe for your MTO they chose #MoreIdeal white MOP by their standards? I’ve definitely seen some MOP bracelets and necklaces where the base colour is different across the motifs - one motif is pure white, one is more creamy, one has a stronger pink sheen than the others - but in your earrings it looks like the MOP colour matches perfectly across all the motifs. Things that 99% of people won’t appreciate but your PS viewers do :bigsmile:

Congratulations!! :appl:

Curious - do you need to wear blingdots with them?

Leigh10

Shiny_Rock
Timeless and elegant style... I hope you enjoy every moment of wearing them!

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow!! Those are stunning!
Like a glorious MOP and YG waterfall cascading from your ears...
Enjoy!! They are fabulous.

TruLuv858

Brilliant_Rock
These are WOW!!!!

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!! Congrats!!
Thanks!

Gorgeous statement earrings! They look beautiful on you!!
Thank you!

Those are quite the statement earrings, @Pomelo !

Sometimes we buy things just because we love the design so much--I hope you cont. to enjoy them for many years to come!
Haha absolutely, my mind is now wondering if I need to calculate a cost per wear per enjoyment point now :lol-2:

@Pomelo Your writeups are always so helpful!

If I made a list of PSers who I thought might enjoy these you’d have been on that shortlist for sure! They’re very very *you* :love: And I love that you wear them with all your other earrings - makes for such fun and flirty drama ::)

On the iridescence - I remember reading somewhere that VCA’s ideal white MOP is smooth and white, with minimal iridescence… Maybe for your MTO they chose #MoreIdeal white MOP by their standards? I’ve definitely seen some MOP bracelets and necklaces where the base colour is different across the motifs - one motif is pure white, one is more creamy, one has a stronger pink sheen than the others - but in your earrings it looks like the MOP colour matches perfectly across all the motifs. Things that 99% of people won’t appreciate but your PS viewers do :bigsmile:

Congratulations!! :appl:

Curious - do you need to wear blingdots with them?
Ooh that’s very interesting, I didn’t realise VCA had that standard for their MOP - thanks for the info! Always thought that more is more with iridescence (as it is so magical to my eyes :kiss2:). Please forgive my ignorance - I’m curious to know whether in the pearl world, uniform whiteness is valued and how does iridescence play into that (as I realise MOP doesn’t have luster/that metallic factor)?

TBH I haven’t seen enough MOP pieces to have clocked that there are different base colours, and wonder how the workshop specifically chooses the motifs. Actually, I think this is only the third MOP piece I’ve seen IRL as I generally like more durable stones (I’d love a pair of Sweet MOP for daily wear but can’t stand the faff of having to remove them to shower - peak laziness :lol-2:)

I don’t wear blingdots with them and probably should! The weight (like the noise) is more noticeable at first but then fades as you get used to it.

Timeless and elegant style... I hope you enjoy every moment of wearing them!
Hehe thanks!

Wow!! Those are stunning!
Like a glorious MOP and YG waterfall cascading from your ears...
Enjoy!! They are fabulous.
What a wonderful description of a cascading waterfall!

Ahh this wordplay reminds me of the VCA Palmyre earrings that was one of the first pairs of statement fine earrings I tried on at an auction house (maybe 7-8 years ago now, when I first got interested in fine jewellery).

IMG_4884.jpeg
IMG_4885.jpeg
These are WOW!!!!
Thanks!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found it!
For white mother-of-pearl, the Maison looks primarily toward Australia, which produces a variety renowned for its even surfaces and subtle iridescence.
https://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/the-maison/articles/mother-of-pearl.html

An uneven and "textured" MOP surface strengthens iridescence - so the house's preference for a more even surface is going to produce a smoother sheen with more unadulterated white glow ❤️

You see this in normal pearls, too, the bumpy lumpies and baroques are always more colourful than the rounds! With regular pearls shape and size always comes first, then luster, and then body colour - a more pure white is prized over off-whites or greys or browns in WSS and akoya. Iridescence... Is somewhere at the bottom of the value hierarchy, usually - below other stuff like surface smoothness and blemishing. The MOP VCA uses is Australian, it comes from the shell of the oysters that produce WSS pearls (Paspaley owns a ton of these WSS farms) :love:

A British coworker has a catchphrase - no faffing off. It's spread to the entire mostly-US-based office :bigsmile:

The Palmyre is STUNNING!! I saw some of the pink sapphire and diamond Palmyre pieces a few months ago - earrings and bracelet. I found the design to be deceptive, it looks simple but I think it probably took quite a bit of design to make those fronds fall Just Right when worn! Not a #deceptivesimplicity that I'll ever be going after myself, though, at that pricepoint :lol:

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
Found it!

https://www.vancleefarpels.com/us/en/the-maison/articles/mother-of-pearl.html

An uneven and "textured" MOP surface strengthens iridescence - so the house's preference for a more even surface is going to produce a smoother sheen with more unadulterated white glow ❤️

You see this in normal pearls, too, the bumpy lumpies and baroques are always more colourful than the rounds! With regular pearls shape and size always comes first, then luster, and then body colour - a more pure white is prized over off-whites or greys or browns in WSS and akoya. Iridescence... Is somewhere at the bottom of the value hierarchy, usually - below other stuff like surface smoothness and blemishing. The MOP VCA uses is Australian, it comes from the shell of the oysters that produce WSS pearls (Paspaley owns a ton of these WSS farms) :love:

A British coworker has a catchphrase - no faffing off. It's spread to the entire mostly-US-based office :bigsmile:

The Palmyre is STUNNING!! I saw some of the pink sapphire and diamond Palmyre pieces a few months ago - earrings and bracelet. I found the design to be deceptive, it looks simple but I think it probably took quite a bit of design to make those fronds fall Just Right when worn! Not a #deceptivesimplicity that I'll ever be going after myself, though, at that pricepoint :lol:

Thank you for the pearl/MOP info! Very interesting, and reminds me that beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Reading your post, I think I’m a lumpy bumpy pearl kinda girl :lol-2:

And agreed on the deceptive simplicity of the Palmyre, getting those angles right must’ve taken a lot of R&D!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The distance shot on my phone screen makes it look like you’re wearing the most beautiful clouds @Pomelo which.. I don’t think is the intended effect but is one I enjoyed very much.
I think these are beautiful and interesting earrings. Definitely a fun statement while rewarding a closer look at the craftsmanship and colour play in the MOP.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
The distance shot on my phone screen makes it look like you’re wearing the most beautiful clouds @Pomelo which.. I don’t think is the intended effect but is one I enjoyed very much.
I think these are beautiful and interesting earrings. Definitely a fun statement while rewarding a closer look at the craftsmanship and colour play in the MOP.

Thank you! I love the description of clouds, they are quite fluffy looking aren’t they :geek2:

I think these are my favourite long earrings by VCA! I adore them!! So gorgeous - and you are so generous with your time to have written so much about them!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These look amazing on you (as does all jewelry, to be honest)!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! These are incredible!
And they look perfect on you❤️❤️❤️

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock

The story

The review
Design

Wowwwwwwww they look amazing on your ear and goes so well with your overall style. I’m sorry the bracelet didn’t work out for you but these are an amazing addition to your well curated collection!

I also think you can get away with wearing just one on one ear and maybe a small stud or some other discreet earring on the other ear for a funkier/casual look when you aren’t as dressed up.

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
I think these are my favourite long earrings by VCA! I adore them!! So gorgeous - and you are so generous with your time to have written so much about them!
Thank you! I’ve been educated by so many generous people on PS (and I find it comforting, almost like journaling) that it’s only right to pay it forward :geek2:

These look amazing on you (as does all jewelry, to be honest)!
Hehe thanks!

Wow! These are incredible!
And they look perfect on you❤️❤️❤️
Thank youuu

Wowwwwwwww they look amazing on your ear and goes so well with your overall style. I’m sorry the bracelet didn’t work out for you but these are an amazing addition to your well curated collection!

I also think you can get away with wearing just one on one ear and maybe a small stud or some other discreet earring on the other ear for a funkier/casual look when you aren’t as dressed up.
Thanks, and what a fantastic suggestion! I’m usually one to love a good asymmetric look but hadn’t even thought about wearing an earring solo. Will report back!!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
They look stunning on you! :clap:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow! This is so gorgeous, and you carry it so well! :kiss2:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Absolute perfection. You wear them well! What a lovely addition to your collection :)

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock

These are gorgeous on you, @Pomelo! Like @foxinsox, I also saw clouds—beautiful, glowing clouds. :kiss2: They look like will be very versatile, from casual and whimsical, to dressy.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! I’ve been educated by so many generous people on PS (and I find it comforting, almost like journaling) that it’s only right to pay it forward :geek2:

Hehe thanks!

Thank youuu

Thanks, and what a fantastic suggestion! I’m usually one to love a good asymmetric look but hadn’t even thought about wearing an earring solo. Will report back!!

Omg yes!! One of these in one ear, and a Vintage or Magic YG/WMOP stud in the other ear - what a STUNNING look!!

Last edited:

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
They look stunning on you! :clap:
Thanks!

Absolutely beautiful!
Thank you!

Wow! This is so gorgeous, and you carry it so well! :kiss2:
Thanks!

Absolute perfection. You wear them well! What a lovely addition to your collection :)
Thank you - they filled a spot that was missing in my collection and now they come out to play as much as possible :twisted2:

What fun and joyful jewelry!

Thanks! They are indeed very fun

These are gorgeous on you, @Pomelo! Like @foxinsox, I also saw clouds—beautiful, glowing clouds. :kiss2: They look like will be very versatile, from casual and whimsical, to dressy.
Yes they are surprisingly versatile! I’m very glad I went for these rather than diamond chandeliers that are more formal

Pomelo

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember Thank you for the suggestion of wearing one earring solo! I just had to try it out asap - went for a casual lunch yesterday and had the Magic in one ear with an onyx Sweet in the other. I felt so badass with my VCA and leather shirt :cool2:

Cost per wear has just reduced massively now that I have found a way to wear them very casually - thanks!

@yssie sadly I don’t own any Vintage or Magic studs but really liked the look with my onyx Sweets! The black and white combo gives the look more of an edge, and having the four different motif sizes makes for visual interest (as well as a good reference guide for motif sizes, something I search for endlessly online :lol-2:)

IMG_4981.jpeg
IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I F’N LOVE THIS.

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
@oldcutclubmember Thank you for the suggestion of wearing one earring solo! I just had to try it out asap - went for a casual lunch yesterday and had the Magic in one ear with an onyx Sweet in the other. I felt so badass with my VCA and leather shirt :cool2:

Cost per wear has just reduced massively now that I have found a way to wear them very casually - thanks!

@yssie sadly I don’t own any Vintage or Magic studs but really liked the look with my onyx Sweets! The black and white combo gives the look more of an edge, and having the four different motif sizes makes for visual interest (as well as a good reference guide for motif sizes, something I search for endlessly online :lol-2:)

IMG_4981.jpeg
IMG_4986.jpeg
IMG_4969.jpeg

Love love love the look!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results