• Cathedral setting with flush fitting stems

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Non-Cathedral Setting with flush fitting stems

Votes: 18 34.0%

• Total voters

Linny

Shiny_Rock
Hi all,
I am pretty new to the forum. I found invaluable insight here on selecting a diamond. I had it set by a local jeweler but I have now reached out to VC and am planning to reset it. I am trying to decide between two options for the emilya setting. I want my wedding band to sit parallel to the engagement ring so I've narrowed it down to two setting options:

(1) flush fitting stems, no cathedral
(2) cathedral setting with flush fitting stems

See pictures below. Anyone have any preferences? Love to gain any insights from those of you with cathedral setting verses
non-cathedral. Thanks so much!!

IMG_6903(1).jpg IMG_6896.jpg

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi. What size stone? I prefer cathedral personally as it gives support to the head and looks more integrated to my eyes. I am always afraid the head will snap off of non cathedral rings. Of course with VC that wouldn’t happen but still I love the cohesiveness of the cathedral. Come back with pics. Exciting

Linny

Shiny_Rock
The stone is a 1.58 ct round brilliant. Thanks I will!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer cathedral. Just looks my cohesive to me. Cant go wrong with either though.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For your stone size, I prefer non-cathedral.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer cathedral personally as it gives support to the head and looks more integrated to my eyes. I am always afraid the head will snap off of non cathedral rings.

DITTO!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do like the cathedral for all the reasons stated above but aesthetically I sort of prefer the non cathedral. The diamond and halo sort of seem to float above the band. They are both beautiful so you can’t go wrong!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cathedral for sure.
I used to want no cathedral. However, I discovered that when I am wearing my ring and working at my desk I invariably see the side view of my ring much more frequently than the top down view. And I found I didn’t like the lack of “flow” from the shank to the head. I had a derivation of Victor’s Jocelyn. Of course I didn’t realize this until I wore it for a while. For my second ring, I definitely had shoulders or a cathedral and a gorgeous basket, again because I always see the side and wanted a connection from shank to head.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Linny What is your lifestyle like? Are you pretty active, have young children, what type of work do you do, do you only plan to wear the ring for special occasions and have been/will be diligent about taking it off for any/every activity where it may get damaged? Or do you plan to wear this ring every day and only take it off periodically when doing things like yard work?

If this will be your ‘daily driver’ e-ring that you want to wear & enjoy with as little worry as possible, I would definitely recommend going with the cathedral ... for security over aesthetics. Of course, even with a cathedral, you’d still need to exercise reasonable care ... and insure it, regardless. :wavey:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own one like the first example it's more fluid IMHO and it is sturdy it is NEVER going to snap off.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I own one like the first example it's more fluid IMHO and it is sturdy it is NEVER going to snap off.

Knock on wood ... and NEVER say ‘never’. :twisted2:

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The basket of my mom's ring came off TWICE. It was made by a fairly large and well-regarded jeweler in these parts. For that reason, I just have trouble feeling comfortable with designs like the first.

I have a bezeled James Meyer where there is split-shank sort of cathedral, and every now and again I catch the lip of my bezel and the ring gets yanked upwards. It scares me every time, but it hasn't detached the diamond yet. I think that the cathedral helps. Without it there would be even more area to catch it on, and less points of contact to keep it together.

So, short story long, I prefer the second. It is also more visually appealing to me.

Linny

Shiny_Rock
@Linny What is your lifestyle like? Are you pretty active, have young children, what type of work do you do, do you only plan to wear the ring for special occasions and have been/will be diligent about taking it off for any/every activity where it may get damaged? Or do you plan to wear this ring every day and only take it off periodically when doing things like yard work?

If this will be your ‘daily driver’ e-ring that you want to wear & enjoy with as little worry as possible, I would definitely recommend going with the cathedral ... for security over aesthetics. Of course, even with a cathedral, you’d still need to exercise reasonable care ... and insure it, regardless. :wavey:
Yes, I am very active, have 3 kids under 7! Currently I have been taking my ring off to garden, workout, etc. but it's tough because my knuckle is a lot bigger than my finger so it is painful to take it off and on, and I can't size it any bigger or it will spin like crazy! So, at the moment, I am being careful but I do lead a very active lifestyle so it might be worth my thinking about your point above. With either setting I would still take it off for some activities like gardening, etc. That's a great point. Thanks! All this feedback is super helpful!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI. I’ve had two VC rings and they are super sturdy. I do barre workouts with my current ring which is a tri-wire and no issues. No warping or misshaping. My first one was more lollipop head-like and perfectly strong enough to withstand a workout with weights. I have run with my rings and they can withstand an occasional whack against the treadmill. No injuries to my ring.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just FYI. I’ve had two VC rings and they are super sturdy. I do barre workouts with my current ring which is a tri-wire and no issues. No warping or misshaping. My first one was more lollipop head-like and perfectly strong enough to withstand a workout with weights. I have run with my rings and they can withstand an occasional whack against the treadmill. No injuries to my ring.

Victor's rings are sturdy. I don't believe you need to make allowances for the head being torn away were it not cathedral, so go with the look you like. You'll always hear horror stories about breakages of ANY style of ring, but there are reasons why you pay extra for a name like Victor Canera, and safety is a big one of those reasons.

I like both cathedral and non-cathedral looks. But for this ring, when a stone is under, say, 8mm, I think adding cathedral arms means there's a lot going on under the head, and makes it a tad busy, as well as obscuring those 4 nicely curved, pave struts. So, personally, I'd keep it cleaner and less complicated looking. I think what works for, say, a 3ct stone doesn't necessarily suit a 1.58ct stone as well (or a half ct stone either, for that matter), so I think keeping this more streamlined would work better here.

But by the same token - you're the expert here - you, and you alone. Life is short and in this instance in particular, have what you love, whichever design that might be.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a cathedral setting. I think it gives the ring more visual appeal and I just personally prefer the look better.

Logan Sapphire

Ideal_Rock
I have an Emilya with the cathedral, but mine has a donut. The pics seem blurry if I try to attach them here _23149.jpg _21669.jpg

I think mine looks more delicate than the one you included but that probably because my stone is 1/2 the size! To me, the flush stems makes the head look like it’s perching on the band so the cathedral makes the ring look more finished over all, whereas I think no cathedral but with donut would also make the ring look more finished.

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
Your second picture are my actual rings that Victor took and sent before he shipped mine out lol! I love the cathedral look, it seems more balanced and visually interesting to me and I like that my band sits right up and matches perfectly. They both sparkle nicely together. I like the look more than just a peg head coming out of the band but that my opinion.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are nice but I like the cathedral, personally. I also strongly favor that design with a small doughnut.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I think no cathedral. jmo...

MZSushi

Rough_Rock
Mine is way more delicate in real life, that picture is at a weird angle and very zoomed in...

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the flow of a cathedral ring. Especially for an e-ring or daily ring.

I have the Emilya without cathedral for my blue topaz and I love it! But this is an occasional ring for me. And mine has a donut which seems more ‘sturdy’ in a way.

In your case I would definitely opt for the cathedral with your active lifestyle. It has a beautiful flow and balance.

7F2FD5E6-8BA7-4CF9-B8C3-823FCB0A48A7.jpeg D9306F42-876E-4EA7-9067-32640ECAD397.jpeg

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So excited to hear that you are getting a VC piece! I have several pieces from Victor and I can assure you that his designs are as robust as they are gorgeous! :love:

I am very partial to cathedral settings (I just love the flow of the profile as well as the added security) and I also prefer styles with a small donut. Victor can add a small donut if desired, although that will create a small gap between your engagement ring and your wedding band. I actually prefer a small gap, but if flush fit is your preference, you probably don't want a donut.

With regard to the cathedral question, you could always ask Victor if he thinks that cathedral or non-cathedral would be more flattering to your stone. He has a keen aesthetic eye, and although he will probably say it is personal preference, if he believes that one style is more suited to your stone he will let you know. I can't wait to hear what you decide!!

Linny

Shiny_Rock
I love the flow of a cathedral ring. Especially for an e-ring or daily ring.

I have the Emilya without cathedral for my blue topaz and I love it! But this is an occasional ring for me. And mine has a donut which seems more ‘sturdy’ in a way.

In your case I would definitely opt for the cathedral with your active lifestyle. It has a beautiful flow and balance.

7F2FD5E6-8BA7-4CF9-B8C3-823FCB0A48A7.jpeg D9306F42-876E-4EA7-9067-32640ECAD397.jpeg

Wow that is stunning!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results