shape
carat
color
clarity

Vanadium Chrysoberyl - color uniqueness and availability

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone! Recent updates on a long lasting chrysoberyl thread just caught my attention and interest in this gemstone, particularly vanadium chrysoberyl.

A few questions if anyone care to share insight:)

How unique is its mint green / bluish green colour? Or are these types of color easily found in other gemstones of comparable hardness?

Any particular vendors are known for selling these gem? Or it’s that rare that it’s still better or somehow the only way to have trusted and reputable vendors or cutters to source it?

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Multicolour will usually have a few to choose from. Adamant International is another seller that often has one or two. They are a little tricky to find on Multicolour..below are screenshots showing the steps I take to find them. There might be an easier way to find them there, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

*First go to Smart Search and choose Chrysoberyl

33006F82-59BC-4586-B4EC-4C9B658AFB29.jpeg

*Then select all of the colors with blue on the right

DEF39253-C1A6-4254-A4C3-DB6B08512E29.jpeg

*Then I sort by price to see the nicest stones first :))

B9141105-BEE0-44CA-AF68-88834C6C3325.jpeg

*Once you click on a stone to see it’s details, make sure it says Vanadium Chrysoberyl in the editors comments.
When you view a stone, you can click on Same Color at the bottom right to see similar stones.

7731277E-B3E9-468E-9CB8-2E183221C3EB.jpeg

*For the stone above, Beryl and Aquamarine show up as having the same mint green/blueish green color.
AC37DF45-9E7C-429A-A0E2-E102B997A035.jpeg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Gem Trader (Brad Payne) has several, but it doesn't look as if all of them have lab reports:

If you live in the States, he's the only US vendor I've noticed who offers them with some regularity. So even if none of the above interests you, I suggest you contact him.

Good luck!!

Last edited:

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There’s a few here too:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a pale mint green vanadium chrysoberyl and it changes to a pale rose pink in artificial light. The colour change confused me because it would make it an Alexandrite rather than a run of the mill Chrysoberyl. I was so confused that I spoke with David at Multicolour and he agreed that it probably should be designated as a vanadium Alexandrite.

Nick_G

Shiny_Rock
I have a small crystal of chrysoberyl that is a beautiful mint green in daylight, but goes to a blah pale greyish green colour in incandescent light. It's from Brazil, but the lovely minty green daylight colour makes me wonder if there's some vanadium traces in there: 674662

I had to fiddle with the colour on that pic to try and capture the green, but it still looks better than that in person.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Multicolour will usually have a few to choose from. Adamant International is another seller that often has one or two. They are a little tricky to find on Multicolour..below are screenshots showing the steps I take to find them. There might be an easier way to find them there, but I haven’t figured it out yet.

*First go to Smart Search and choose Chrysoberyl

33006F82-59BC-4586-B4EC-4C9B658AFB29.jpeg

*Then select all of the colors with blue on the right

DEF39253-C1A6-4254-A4C3-DB6B08512E29.jpeg

*Then I sort by price to see the nicest stones first :))

B9141105-BEE0-44CA-AF68-88834C6C3325.jpeg

*Once you click on a stone to see it’s details, make sure it says Vanadium Chrysoberyl in the editors comments.
When you view a stone, you can click on Same Color at the bottom right to see similar stones.

7731277E-B3E9-468E-9CB8-2E183221C3EB.jpeg

*For the stone above, Beryl and Aquamarine show up as having the same mint green/blueish green color.
AC37DF45-9E7C-429A-A0E2-E102B997A035.jpeg

Thanks a lot. Really appreciated, that allows me to explore many different colours of chrysoberyl^^

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
The Gem Trader (Brad Payne) has several, but it doesn't look as if all of them have lab reports:

If you live in the States, he's the only US vendor I've noticed who offers them with some regularity. So even if none of the above interests you, I suggest you contact him.

Good luck!!
Thank you and this is a very important info! Btw, it looks like there’s also other very nice gems from Gem Trader.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you and this is a very important info! Btw, it looks like there’s also other very nice gems from Gem Trader.
FWIW, my own experience with Brad has been that what I received from him looked better in real life than the photos in the listings. I.e., the pics were definitely not "glamour shots."

I really like perusing the new inventory he posts each month because there's always something intriguing --- and I especially like seeing what's native to the US. Much of what he offers isn't suitable for jewelry, but rather intended for specimen collectors (which I am not), but still fun to see such stones and then do some research to learn more about them!

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
The best vanadium chrysoberyl color is not mint green, but neon green. This color is too rare to be seen. Contrast of mint green and neon green vanadium chrysoberyl

DSC_3184.jpg DSC_3165.jpg DSC_3159.jpg DSC_3195.jpg
Thx for posting in this thread:) I definitely remember your thread about this rare chrysoberyl! Just stunning!

Honestly I don’t think I will find such rare gem, or will be financially able or willing to spend that much on it…

however, after browsing the possible hues of all chrysoberyl, I found that a vivid yellowish green one is equally appealing to me. It guess this doesn’t need to be a vanadium one right? Or still part of that category due to it leaning more to green hue that normal more yellow ones?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Vivid green is usually also vanadium chrysoberyl.

DSC_8975.jpg DSC_8998.jpg DSC_9001.jpg

If you want yellow-greenChrysoberyl, I suggest avoiding brown tones, because Chrysoberyl with brown tones are too common and have nothing to do with uniqueness

Yellow-green no brown hues.

DSC_8987.jpg

Brown tones VS no brown tones
DSC_8991.jpg DSC_8989.jpg

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Vivid green is usually also vanadium chrysoberyl.

DSC_8975.jpg DSC_8998.jpg DSC_9001.jpg

If you want yellow-greenChrysoberyl, I suggest avoiding brown tones, because Chrysoberyl with brown tones are too common and have nothing to do with uniqueness

Yellow-green no brown hues.

DSC_8987.jpg

Brown tones VS no brown tones
DSC_8991.jpg DSC_8989.jpg

Thinks so much! Really appreciated for making such informative summary for me. You showed me what top grade chrysoberyl should be in each type, at least for what I am able to find and view on the internet!

chrysoberyl is a interesting and extreme gem to me. The one with brown tone your shown is not appealing to me at all ( those more yellow one with brown tone also, far from those what many see as golden yellow ones). However, the trillions without brown look more brilliant (the cut is one reason, but the colour is also brighter).

I would be happy with a vivid yellowish green one, though the green ones are also nice. I believe you didn’t purchase these recently, but just for a rough idea, how’s the price and carat comparing the yellowish green to the vivid green?

landscape

Shiny_Rock
Thinks so much! Really appreciated for making such informative summary for me. You showed me what top grade chrysoberyl should be in each type, at least for what I am able to find and view on the internet!

chrysoberyl is a interesting and extreme gem to me. The one with brown tone your shown is not appealing to me at all ( those more yellow one with brown tone also, far from those what many see as golden yellow ones). However, the trillions without brown look more brilliant (the cut is one reason, but the colour is also brighter).

I would be happy with a vivid yellowish green one, though the green ones are also nice. I believe you didn’t purchase these recently, but just for a rough idea, how’s the price and carat comparing the yellowish green to the vivid green?

I'm sorry I can't provide price help, because these were bought a long time ago

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vanadium with blue green tones at any high carat will be $$$
The ones in the list of approved venders are often still pretty yellow green - or quite pale. I didn’t read all of the comments but I know that they are durable enough for everyday wear and they can be found but you’d be best to find a dealer in Asia to source one.
but anything of real size and color (over 2cts) will be thousands (5+)

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Vanadium with blue green tones at any high carat will be $$$
The ones in the list of approved venders are often still pretty yellow green - or quite pale. I didn’t read all of the comments but I know that they are durable enough for everyday wear and they can be found but you’d be best to find a dealer in Asia to source one.
but anything of real size and color (over 2cts) will be thousands (5+)

Thanks! And am I right that you are saying even yellowish green are also that highly priced?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s rare, but you can also find mint colored demantoid. They are softer though and tend to be small, but they have a fire of rainbow color not found in other minty stones like tsavorite, tourmaline, beryl or chrysoberyl,

I just lucked out and obtained a minty demantoid, and I wear another demantoid that is very minty in the sun.

This is not mine, but an example of minty demantoid from Namibia (African demantoid tends to be more bluish green).

0233C2A9-1EB5-4DB1-BC81-61FF79304E4D.jpeg 61967111-EDAD-4372-A439-D9ECA63E9178.jpeg

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
It’s rare, but you can also find mint colored demantoid. They are softer though and tend to be small, but they have a fire of rainbow color not found in other minty stones like tsavorite, tourmaline, beryl or chrysoberyl,

I just lucked out and obtained a minty demantoid, and I wear another demantoid that is very minty in the sun.

This is not mine, but an example of minty demantoid from Namibia (African demantoid tends to be more bluish green).

0233C2A9-1EB5-4DB1-BC81-61FF79304E4D.jpeg 61967111-EDAD-4372-A439-D9ECA63E9178.jpeg

Thank you! Demantoid is a gorgeous gem ~ That dispersion simply adds another dimension to it! Considering it’s hardness and higher price than yellow green chrysoberyl, It would rather be considered an addition to us in the future when we want some special earrings^^

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Do you guys think if these are more common yellowish green or vanadium chrysoberyl?
2DE67923-4FF2-4546-9CA9-FCF980AFFFA2.jpeg 94077DAD-E208-4D3F-B46B-A92020E53F00.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there are many beautiful versions of chrysoberyl. The stone is perfectly durable for every day- so it’s just a matter of which your like best.

Double E

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, the colour of latest two posted is also nice:) However, with more green than normal ones, although still different from the mint and vivid green that @landscape shown me, I doubt I may still be bounded by the vanadium price tag if I go for something like these with size.

I am trying to keep some photos of colours I like for my use when I approach suitable jeweller or cutters~

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results