shape
carat
color
clarity

Vallejo916?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Has anyone actually bought from this seller on ebay?
His photos are awful, and often the colours of the gems seem off to his descriptions - or just plain off...?
but he certainly seems favourable to the Thai alternatives.!
2.gif

And if what he writes in his listings is true, they are decent priced stones...

I've considered buying from him once or twice, but something always stops me - I would be very interested to hear of any real life reviews?
Happy / Not?

Match description, decent cutting?

Did you keep the gem / send it back?

Any info welcome
1.gif

cheers!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of my favorite stones is from him. It's a one carat rubellite I have in a split shank LOGR, and I just bought another rubellite from him (on the last page of the eyecandy thread). There have been some things I wasn't too crazy about, but they were okay for what I paid. You're not going to get a super ultra vivid top gem piece from him, but for what you pay, you will get a nice faceted stone with pretty color. I think his material/cutting is on parr with that of Dan Stair, but cheaper, and you can't go wrong with that!

I got the following stones from him.

A 1.2 carat teal Montana sapphire (goes more teal in natural light)
A 2.5 carat rubellite (I love it)
A 1 carat clean rubellite (I love it)
A 2.5 carat cushion aqua (color is too light, but the faceting is very nice and I've seen similar material on Dan's website for four times the price)
A 1 carat round aqua (nice medium blue color, very pretty)
A 1 carat oval tourmaline (very cute stone, a soft pink that goes to peach in certain lighting - it was $9.99 so it was my "tryout" stone from him)
A 1.5 carat round brown zircon (rich brown color - like a champagne diamond)

Always ask about the color first if you're unsure.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I have 3 stones from him. They turned out nicer than the photos. I agree with what TL said - you get a nice stone for a good price. I love the rubelites that TL got from him.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s one of the few I actually buy from on ebay. Like TL, you get some things that are really good, some not so much, but usually because of color and not the cut. the tourmaline in my avatar was cut by him, its very pretty and sparkly in person (a little dirty in the pic, sorry)

-A

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He''s also the only person I ever bought a sapphire from on ebay, and sapphires are typically a big huge "no no" on ebay. By looking at this stone, I have no reason to think it was treated in any way, and it''s a color changer. I don''t care much for the color in incandescent light (too grey), but in sunlight, it turns a very pretty teal color.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I have purchased from him before. Very nice cuts. I have corresponded with him and he seems like a very nice person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
His name is Bob Kast, and he''s a really nice, down to earth guy.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's my selection of Vallejo stones. Sorry about the really linty scratched up gem box, but at least this gives you an idea of his faceting.

The stone in the lower right hand corner is a Montana sapphire, and it's putridly ugly in this picture, but you have to believe me that it turns a pretty teal green in sunlight, and I simply cannot capture it on photo for some reason. I bet if I heated it, it would turn more pretty.

The red stone is probably the ugliest out of the bunch, it's a too dark red zircon, but it was super cheap, so oh well. The best stones out of the bunch were an aqua and the pink tourmaline. That aqua is very saturated to be that blue for such a small stone. If it was much larger with the same saturation, it would be a very deep blue stone. I love it and I want to put it in an antique setting one of these days. The pink tourmaline was very cheap, and it's pretty. The brown zircon, although I don't like brown stones, interested me, so I got it. All of these stones, in price put together, are less than $150, and would make some nice staking rings.

TLvallejoselection.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s the too light aqua cushion sitting on top of a setting (I didn''t set it). Again, you can see that he cuts nicely, and there is a tilt window, but absolutely no window face on. It''s almost impossible to avoid tilt windows with beryls.

Tlvallejoaquacushion.JPG

mousey

Shiny_Rock
I am bidding on one of his stones right now. Hope I get it! Thanks Tourmaline Lover for all the info!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 2:30:27 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Here''s my selection of Vallejo stones. Sorry about the really linty scratched up gem box, but at least this gives you an idea of his faceting.

The stone in the lower right hand corner is a Montana sapphire, and it''s putridly ugly in this picture, but you have to believe me that it turns a pretty teal green in sunlight, and I simply cannot capture it on photo for some reason. I bet if I heated it, it would turn more pretty.

The red stone is probably the ugliest out of the bunch, it''s a too dark red zircon, but it was super cheap, so oh well. The best stones out of the bunch were an aqua and the pink tourmaline. That aqua is very saturated to be that blue for such a small stone. If it was much larger with the same saturation, it would be a very deep blue stone. I love it and I want to put it in an antique setting one of these days. The pink tourmaline was very cheap, and it''s pretty. The brown zircon, although I don''t like brown stones, interested me, so I got it. All of these stones, in price put together, are less than $150, and would make some nice staking rings.

TL..how do you do that? Do can we do this at home? Just wondering. I have a few cheapy stones that I would love to experiment with.

I''ll go and take a few Vallejo stone pictures, be right back.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 11:13:28 AM
Author: CharmyPoo
I have 3 stones from him. They turned out nicer than the photos. I agree with what TL said - you get a nice stone for a good price. I love the rubelites that TL got from him.
Thanks Charmy, I love them as well!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 2:45:24 PM
Author: mochi

Here's my selection of Vallejo stones. Sorry about the really linty scratched up gem box, but at least this gives you an idea of his faceting.

The stone in the lower right hand corner is a Montana sapphire, and it's putridly ugly in this picture, but you have to believe me that it turns a pretty teal green in sunlight, and I simply cannot capture it on photo for some reason. I bet if I heated it, it would turn more pretty.

The red stone is probably the ugliest out of the bunch, it's a too dark red zircon, but it was super cheap, so oh well. The best stones out of the bunch were an aqua and the pink tourmaline. That aqua is very saturated to be that blue for such a small stone. If it was much larger with the same saturation, it would be a very deep blue stone. I love it and I want to put it in an antique setting one of these days. The pink tourmaline was very cheap, and it's pretty. The brown zircon, although I don't like brown stones, interested me, so I got it. All of these stones, in price put together, are less than $150, and would make some nice staking rings.

TL..how do you do that? Do can we do this at home? Just wondering. I have a few cheapy stones that I would love to experiment with.

I'll go and take a few Vallejo stone pictures, be right back.
I know Jason Brim of selectgem sends some of his rough stones for heat treatment, you can email him about it. Gene also heats stones, but I don't know if he would do it for customers.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 2:47:24 PM

Here''s my selection of Vallejo stones. Sorry about the really linty scratched up gem box, but at least this gives you an idea of his faceting.

The stone in the lower right hand corner is a Montana sapphire, and it''s putridly ugly in this picture, but you have to believe me that it turns a pretty teal green in sunlight, and I simply cannot capture it on photo for some reason. I bet if I heated it, it would turn more pretty.

The red stone is probably the ugliest out of the bunch, it''s a too dark red zircon, but it was super cheap, so oh well. The best stones out of the bunch were an aqua and the pink tourmaline. That aqua is very saturated to be that blue for such a small stone. If it was much larger with the same saturation, it would be a very deep blue stone. I love it and I want to put it in an antique setting one of these days. The pink tourmaline was very cheap, and it''s pretty. The brown zircon, although I don''t like brown stones, interested me, so I got it. All of these stones, in price put together, are less than $150, and would make some nice staking rings.

I know Jason Brim of selectgem sends some of his rough stones for heat treatment, you can email him about it. Gene also heats stones, but I don''t know if he would do it for customers.

Oh..I thought it would be simple like sticking it in the oven at 450 degrees for a hour so so.....
6.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 11:19:16 AM
Author: Arcadian
He''s one of the few I actually buy from on ebay. Like TL, you get some things that are really good, some not so much, but usually because of color and not the cut. the tourmaline in my avatar was cut by him, its very pretty and sparkly in person (a little dirty in the pic, sorry)

-A
Hey Arcadian,
I see the tourmaline in your avitar is now a mandarin spess. Wonder where you got that from.
2.gif

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Heating stones is the closest thing there is to alchemy: the recipes are jealously guarded.

Some zircons can be heated over a candle flame (carefully, as they will go white if over heated). Most stones are heated in ovens, though. As far as I know, there are 3 main variables: the ramp up temperature (how quickly or slowly the stone is brought to the final temperature), which can be several hours for the final temperature; the maximum temperature and how long it is held there. Then the stone must be slowly cooled in order to avoid temperature shock.

Most of the temperatures are quite high and need a small kiln, not a household oven. An electronic kiln will also have the temperature controls necessary for the ramp up.

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/2/2009 3:00:01 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain

Heating stones is the closest thing there is to alchemy: the recipes are jealously guarded.

Some zircons can be heated over a candle flame (carefully, as they will go white if over heated). Most stones are heated in ovens, though. As far as I know, there are 3 main variables: the ramp up temperature (how quickly or slowly the stone is brought to the final temperature), which can be several hours for the final temperature; the maximum temperature and how long it is held there. Then the stone must be slowly cooled in order to avoid temperature shock.

Most of the temperatures are quite high and need a small kiln, not a household oven. An electronic kiln will also have the temperature controls necessary for the ramp up.

I thought it was one of those fun, weekend thing to do...Thank you for taking the time to explain the process!
21.gif

mochi

Ideal_Rock
My Vallejo stones... (aqua, green toumaline, pink toumaline, alex, green tourmaline)

SSCN4817.JPG

mochi

Ideal_Rock
My favoirite is the pink tourmaline, it''s very pretty and bright (unlike the picture).

SSCN4818.JPG

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Those look very nice. One more seller for me to oggle (stones, not the person!)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually TL, its a orange zircon. but yeah, he cut that one too.

-A

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
He has quite a few of his listings ending in the next few minutes to hour.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
TL - I actually think the color on the Sapphire is really neat. I rather like it and don''t think it is ugly at all.

He has lots of auctions usually. Very few of his stones were purchased lately.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/2/2009 7:37:04 PM
Author: CharmyPoo
TL - I actually think the color on the Sapphire is really neat. I rather like it and don''t think it is ugly at all.

He has lots of auctions usually. Very few of his stones were purchased lately.
Thanks Charmy, but EEEWWW!! I HATE that sapphire picture. I was so embarassed to post it, but I wanted to show people what his faceting was like. It is really teal minty blue green in sunlight. It always photographs grey though.
20.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Never heart of this guy until recently, but I am always open to some new eye candy.. off to check it out!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So if anyone won anything tonight, you need to post pictures!
31.gif

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Thankyou everyone who replied to this, even though I haven''t had time to reply
to each you individually it has been really helpful.

Cheers especially TL and Mochi for posting photos !

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just won an aqua from him, I''ll post pics when i get it :)

clementine

Shiny_Rock
Can someone put a link to his store on here? When I do a search, I get 0 results for that seller.....Thanks!

Clem

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
He doesn''t have anything for sale right now. They all closed yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results