shape
carat
color
clarity

Vaccinating older teens?

Are you going to get/have your older teen vaccinated?

• Yes

Votes: 58 84.1%
  • No

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Maybe...please explain

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have older teens that are able to get vaccinated in my state. I'm trying to get a feel of what others are thinking.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I replied and then realized mine aren’t teens any more— early 20s. One got Moderna #1 last week at wal mart.

my daughter is getting J&J next week at her university and I have to light a fire under the 3rd one to get a shot scheduled.

If I had older teens, absolutely I would get them vaccinated, but you may remember my friends’ 19 year old died from covid last summer and so...... yeah..... I would 100% get mine vaccinated.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you dont have kids you can select whichever option you would do if you had them.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I replied and then realized mine aren’t teens any more— early 20s. One got Moderna #1 last week at wal mart.

my daughter is getting J&J next week at her university and I have to light a fire under the 3rd one to get a shot scheduled.

If I had older teens, absolutely I would get them vaccinated, but you may remember my friends’ 19 year old died from covid last summer and so...... yeah..... I would 100% get mine vaccinated.

I remember that @whitewave . He was a triplet, right? Very sad. Did they ever find out if he had any comorbidity issues?

Edit...I know some kids are dying from covid but they find out at the same time that the child had leukemia or some other
comorbidity issue. Very sad either way.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter is 2.5 so not eligible yet. I have her information in for the Moderna trial for kids (no Pfizer trial near us). If a vaccine (doesn't matter which one) were EUA approved for her age group I would do it in a second. I am very concerned that the potential long term effects of COVID are being underestimated. There is consideration that MIS-C may result in lasting cardiac fibrosis (although I believe 16+ is late for MIS-C, it is documented in this age group). Long COVID is documented in teens as well. Although we have no proof that the vaccine prevents these illnesses, the recent CDC data on PCR surveillance in healthcare workers shows a 90% decrease in infection rates in fully vaccinated individuals. Add in the fact that the vaccines really are remarkably safe. We now have 6 months of data safety from the adult trials and I think close to that from the 16-17 age group (for Pfizer), plus the recent Pfizer 12-15 data, plus the millions of adults who have received them to date.

Research from CHOP on vascular information in COVID+ children (regardless of illness severity)

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 17 yo son has been vaccinated for a couple of months now. It was recommended for him since he is a cancer survivor. I am going strictly by what his and my doctors recommend. Since this whole thing has gone off the rails politically, I am only trusting our doctors. ETA - his oncologist has a history of not recommending all vaccines and strongly does the COVID vaccine so there's that too.

He was feeling quite bad a couple of days after the 2nd vaccine but fine now.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 17 yo son has been vaccinated for a couple of months now. It was recommended for him since he is a cancer survivor. I am going strictly by what his and my doctors recommend. Since this whole thing has gone off the rails politically, I am only trusting our doctors. ETA - his oncologist has a history of not recommending all vaccines and strongly does the COVID vaccine so there's that too.

He was feeling quite bad a couple of days after the 2nd vaccine but fine now.

That is good information @Gussie . I take everything I hear about Covid from the government with a big grain of salt.
Too many mixed messages.

Hope your son is in good health!

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
I have a 19 year old college freshman that has 1 in-person class now, and a 17 high school junior who will be returning to school full time in fall, so I definitely want them vaccinated ASAP. They will both be eligible starting 4/15 in CA.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
We have a 15-year-old in our house. He has expressed interest in getting vaccinated and his mother would like him to be vaccinated as well. However, his mother thinks that the only vaccines that are worthwhile are the two dose vaccines, so even if J and J is an option, she'll decline it.

Currently where I live they are not eligible at the age of 15, but once he is eligible I know that he will receive it, pending availability.

I do think that older teenagers should have a choice though. I am friends with some people on social media that have teenagers and they are posting text back and forth with their teenagers about vaccination and some teens are expressing concern or reluctance. Ultimately, it is up to the parent, but I also think it's up to the parent to address the teenagers concerns and allow them to get an appointment with their doctor to go and talk about those concerns before getting the shot, rather than forcing it.

It's off the rails politically. I would trust the recommendation of your child's doctor with this.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I remember that @whitewave . He was a triplet, right? Very sad. Did they ever find out if he had any comorbidity issues?

Edit...I know some kids are dying from covid but they find out at the same time that the child had leukemia or some other
comorbidity issue. Very sad either way.

He was a preemie triplet but other than that, no comorbidities that I have heard of.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't have children but my answer would be yes. My sister is going to get my nieces vaccinated as soon as they are eligible. They are 13 and 15.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 19 year old college freshman that has 1 in-person class now, and a 17 high school junior who will be returning to school full time in fall, so I definitely want them vaccinated ASAP. They will both be eligible starting 4/15 in CA.
My niece caught covid in college last year. My SIL said colleges were like Covid breeding grounds like everyone at her university
caught it. I dont blame you for wanting them to have/get it before they head off to school.

We have a 15-year-old in our house. He has expressed interest in getting vaccinated and his mother would like him to be vaccinated as well. However, his mother thinks that the only vaccines that are worthwhile are the two dose vaccines, so even if J and J is an option, she'll decline it.

Currently where I live they are not eligible at the age of 15, but once he is eligible I know that he will receive it, pending availability.

I do think that older teenagers should have a choice though. I am friends with some people on social media that have teenagers and they are posting text back and forth with their teenagers about vaccination and some teens are expressing concern or reluctance. Ultimately, it is up to the parent, but I also think it's up to the parent to address the teenagers concerns and allow them to get an appointment with their doctor to go and talk about those concerns before getting the shot, rather than forcing it.

It's off the rails politically. I would trust the recommendation of your child's doctor with this.
I've brought it up with both of mine and they seem fine with getting the vaccine. To be honest, one doesn't seem to care much
one way or the other. The other wants to get the vaccine because she doesnt want to get covid. If parents/older teens have a
difference of opinion I think getting the doc involved is a good idea. The parent might have to be willing to abide by what the
doc/teen came up with though!

I don't have children but my answer would be yes. My sister is going to get my nieces vaccinated as soon as they are eligible. They are 13 and 15.
Thanks for weighing in @missy ...hopefully, younger teens will be eligible in the next couple of months!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My children are well beyond teen years and have both been vaccinated but if they were young teens, I would definitely have had them vaccinated as I did with all other vaccines. Not worth the infection or the possible long term effects in my opinion.

wildcat03

Brilliant_Rock
My daughter just turned 23 and she isn't sure she wants it, she keeps hearing it affects fertility.

This is a rumor started by a disgruntled, fired Pfizer executive. The two mRNA vaccines are actually two of the "cleanest" vaccines in terms of ingredients because all they have is the components of the lipoprotein envelope and the mRNA strand. MRNA gets transcribed to protein (spike protein) and antibodies are formed to the spike protein. The JJ vaccine is an adenovirus tagged to DNA for the spike protein. The adenovirus gets the DNA into the cells and the mRNA is transcribed and from there it's like the mRNA vaccines.

This is one of the better explanations I've seen on why does not have any effect on fertility (plus it just doesn't make sense - there are no vaccines that affect fertility, just ones that should not be given during pregnancy- live/attenuated virus vaccines) https://edwardnirenberg.medium.com/are-covid-19-vaccines-going-to-cause-infertility-939bbdb62b64

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. My 17 year old daughter just got her first dose yesterday. No side effect so far. She read and did her own research. My 12 year old does not want it because he's afraid of needles. Too bad. Lol he'll get it when he's eligible.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So, my 2 are going in at 5 pm for their first vaccines. Hope I'm not sterilizing anyone!:shock::)

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Depending on where they are, it is likely up to the teenager. In WA, the parent does not get to decide medical care - and can even be kept completely out of the conversation - once a kid turns 13.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In WA, the parent does not get to decide medical care - and can even be kept completely out of the conversation - once a kid turns 13.

I'm bewildered by this. In the statutory rape thread there were references to studies about the inability of kids in this age range to make mature decisions about consent and yet a state allows a 13 yr old to have total control over medical decisions. Unbelievable.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I'm bewildered by this. In the statutory rape thread there were references to studies about the inability of kids in this age range to make mature decisions about consent and yet a state allows a 13 yr old to have total control over medical decisions. Unbelievable.

Same.

Where I live, sentencing was just done for a now 21 year old that killed a mom and baby when he was 18. One of the main arguments his lawyers made for a youthful sentence was that at 18 even, the brain is not fully developed to allow a person to consider cause and effect/consequences.

I find the 13 year old thing baffling.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yep. If you had asked me at 13 if I wanted a vaccine or tonsils removed or an appendix out, I would have said no. Heck, I did say no on tonsils. I had a very nearly bad experience where my tonsils swelled up badly (as the Dr said was likely) and left me barely able to breathe and unable to speak while alone house sitting. Definitely not a great decision.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I am not surprised at all. Contradiction permeates United States constitutional law.

A young person can be forced to fight in a war at 18 but is not old enough to legally consume alcohol.

Not to mention the US Constitution was based on contradictory and racist sections. One example "All men are created equal" in the Declaration of Independence. Though men were being traded as slaves at the time. A huge contradiction.

Liberty was not granted to everyone by the Constitution and it took almost a hundred years to begin the path to equality. And we are still not there.

IMO, The US Constitution is inconsistent. And, at times, it seems there is little place for logic in the law.

ruffrock

Rough_Rock
Depending on where they are, it is likely up to the teenager. In WA, the parent does not get to decide medical care - and can even be kept completely out of the conversation - once a kid turns 13.

Is that WA as in Australia. That's madness.

All mine want the vaccine. Purely for travel and when safe to do so.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that WA as in Australia. That's madness.

All mine want the vaccine. Purely for travel and when safe to do so.

Washington state. I know other states have similar. Not sure what each does, but that is for here.

I did see an article yesterday stating that minors (those under eighteen) may need to have written permission from a parent for the COVID vaccine. Not sure how that works with the state law on medical decisions by 13+.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Washington state. I know other states have similar. Not sure what each does, but that is for here.

I did see an article yesterday stating that minors (those under eighteen) may need to have written permission from a parent for the COVID vaccine. Not sure how that works with the state law on medical decisions by 13+.

That's probably due to some legalities around the fact that the vaccine is being given under an Emergency Use Authorization rather than full approval. Once a vaccine is fully approved for use in those 13 and up, it might revert to the usual practices on medical decisions in that age group.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a rumor started by a disgruntled, fired Pfizer executive. The two mRNA vaccines are actually two of the "cleanest" vaccines in terms of ingredients because all they have is the components of the lipoprotein envelope and the mRNA strand. MRNA gets transcribed to protein (spike protein) and antibodies are formed to the spike protein. The JJ vaccine is an adenovirus tagged to DNA for the spike protein. The adenovirus gets the DNA into the cells and the mRNA is transcribed and from there it's like the mRNA vaccines.

This is one of the better explanations I've seen on why does not have any effect on fertility (plus it just doesn't make sense - there are no vaccines that affect fertility, just ones that should not be given during pregnancy- live/attenuated virus vaccines) https://edwardnirenberg.medium.com/are-covid-19-vaccines-going-to-cause-infertility-939bbdb62b64

This! I hate how pervasive these nonsense pieces of "info" are.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results