shape
carat
color
clarity

Vacation Rings *ON THE CHEAP* -- Suggestions ??

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've bought from Berricle, too! I also got this vintage-looking silver/CZ ring from Etsy (https://www.etsy.com/shop/MochaRings). Here's a pic of the Berricle band with the MochaRings "e-ring":
Berricle 1ct vintage ring pic 1.jpg
And FWIW, I wear "travel" rings when I'm vacationing. It's not so much due to a fear of theft or mugging. More like, if I lose my rings "at home," I'll figure out where they are and will find em eventually. But if I lose them while I'm out of town, most likely they're gone forever :blackeye:

justpeachy

Shiny_Rock
If you're headed to Nassau definitely do not bring your real stuff. I've spent half my life in the Bahamas and that is not where you want to be blingy.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you’re main concern is safety, why not just wear a plain band? A mugger is not going to ask if your ring is real and decide not to mug you when you tell them it’s a cz. That being said, I think you’ll have no problem. We’ve been on a number of cruises and never had an issue— but if that’s your main concern, why not try to remove it completely.
I don’t get travel rings in case of mugging. Logically they’re going to mug you for the fake.

I've never understood the concept of travel rings either. I'm not saying that cruises will be a real issue (usually on the ship is safe) but if you're in an area where you're worried about wearing a real diamond ring, why on Earth would you want to wear a fake ring? As @scarsmum said, robbers cannot tell a real from a fake in the split second they're deciding to mug you or not. And being mugged is not a fun experience regardless of whether you lose anything valuable.

Sure, bring the travel ring on the ship if you want to look nice for one of the fancy dinners on board, but as @diamondseeker2006 said, leave any and all jewelry behind when you're on the island.

I always try to look as plain as possible while traveling. No need to attract unnecessary attention to yourself.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've never understood the concept of travel rings either. I'm not saying that cruises will be a real issue (usually on the ship is safe) but if you're in an area where you're worried about wearing a real diamond ring, why on Earth would you want to wear a fake ring? As @scarsmum said, robbers cannot tell a real from a fake in the split second they're deciding to mug you or not. And being mugged is not a fun experience regardless of whether you lose anything valuable.
Yup, why??? :confused:

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got suckered into buying an emerald eternity from this company on prime day. Sizing is way off. I usually wear size 5 on my ring finger. Bought 6 to stack and couldn't even get the ring on.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079VSN5BP

Yikes... that's good to know about the sizing. How was the quality though? If you'd gotten the right size, would you have been happy with it?? I may order several sizes to ensure the correct one and send the rest back, because... Prime. ;-)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t get travel rings in case of mugging. Logically they’re going to mug you for the fake.

Travel rings for me would be more for peace of mind for loss, regardless of how they'd be lost... theft or just misplacing them. ...and to have something to wear.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And FWIW, I wear "travel" rings when I'm vacationing. It's not so much due to a fear of theft or mugging. More like, if I lose my rings "at home," I'll figure out where they are and will find em eventually. But if I lose them while I'm out of town, most likely they're gone forever :blackeye:

EXACTLY. I've managed to keep my passport in the same drawer since moving into my house in 2005... I went to retrieve it last week and not there... hubs tells me that I said I was moving it to another place "so I'd never lose it" a couple of years ago. I can't find it now. #typical :blackeye:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Sure, bring the travel ring on the ship if you want to look nice for one of the fancy dinners on board, but as @diamondseeker2006 said, leave any and all jewelry behind when you're on the island.

I always try to look as plain as possible while traveling. No need to attract unnecessary attention to yourself.

Dressing like a broke student when i travel saved my @$$ for years but im getting too old to pull that off :mrgreen2::lol-2:

There are times that no ring or a band makes the most sense...a travel set is useful if you feel "naked" w/o your rings and want to not worry about losing them, getting them dirty, scratching them, etc. I wear mine when I want a more low key look sometimes as well. Cz like diamond and moissanite varies in quality, there are nice ones out there that I would happily wear.

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EXACTLY. I've managed to keep my passport in the same drawer since moving into my house in 2005... I went to retrieve it last week and not there... hubs tells me that I said I was moving it to another place "so I'd never lose it" a couple of years ago. I can't find it now. #typical :blackeye:
This made me LOL. This is so something I would do.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dressing like a broke student when i travel saved my @$$ for years but im getting too old to pull that off :mrgreen2::lol-2:

There are times that no ring or a band makes the most sense...a travel set is useful if you feel "naked" w/o your rings and want to not worry about losing them, getting them dirty, scratching them, etc. I wear mine when I want a more low key look sometimes as well. Cz like diamond and moissanite varies in quality, there are nice ones out there that I would happily wear.

Bingo! This is pretty much the reason why I want to do the "travel ring" thing this time. I've always worn my rings when traveling because we were either in the U.S. and I felt safe or we were on an all-inclusive resort and never left the grounds. Honestly, I'd probably be okay wearing them, but I'm all weirded out by the whole cruise thing for several reasons having nothing to do with my jewelry... so I think that is just feeding the paranoia of losing my rings.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This made me LOL. This is so something I would do.

God, I'm so mad at myself for it! Luckily, I can go on this vacation with a copy of my birth certificate, so I didn't have to rush to get another one. LOL

Wewechew

Ideal_Rock
Premium
God, I'm so mad at myself for it! Luckily, I can go on this vacation with a copy of my birth certificate, so I didn't have to rush to get another one. LOL
You will find it the day after you get a replacement.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Look at this as an opportunity to improve on your passport photo ;-)

Oh, I am!! I'm so vain that I'll have the little Walgreens employee take them until I'm happy with it... or at least satisfied. HAHAHAAAAA!!!! (but I need to drop weight first, so... ya know... priorities.) ;-)

Luminous1

Rough_Rock
Premium
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=358801

Stuff like what the people discuss here is why I only brought fake rings.

That thread is 12 years old. I think the technology has come a long way since then. I had to get my safe opened the last time I cruised in 2013. Having watched the procedure to open it, there are a number of controls in place to prevent unauthorized access. I would equate what they were doing as similar to a two factor authentication process.

Everyone is storing cash and passports in that safe and everyone knows that. It is not in the corporate office's best interest for things to be stolen. People aren't going to cruise on the line known as Thieves R Us :) Plus it could turn into a big PITA for the captain if he's calling into ports with people without documentation because their passports have been stolen.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That thread is 12 years old. I think the technology has come a long way since then. I had to get my safe opened the last time I cruised in 2013. Having watched the procedure to open it, there are a number of controls in place to prevent unauthorized access. I would equate what they were doing as similar to a two factor authentication process.

Everyone is storing cash and passports in that safe and everyone knows that. It is not in the corporate office's best interest for things to be stolen. People aren't going to cruise on the line known as Thieves R Us :) Plus it could turn into a big PITA for the captain if he's calling into ports with people without documentation because their passports have been stolen.

Thanks for mentioning this, @Luminous1... that makes me feel much better and makes more sense.

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yikes... that's good to know about the sizing. How was the quality though? If you'd gotten the right size, would you have been happy with it?? I may order several sizes to ensure the correct one and send the rest back, because... Prime. ;-)
Quality seemed fine but no idea whether it was comfortable to wear because I couldnt get on the finger. Get couple different sizes bigger than what you need. Who knows how they measure these rings before tagging them with the size.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Quality seemed fine but no idea whether it was comfortable to wear because I couldnt get on the finger. Get couple different sizes bigger than what you need. Who knows how they measure these rings before tagging them with the size.

I wear a size 5 too, but I'm worried about a 6, since you said yours was so small... I feel like a 7 would be waaay too big, but maybe not. Eek! I may order both 6 and 7 and hope for the best!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
These are the ones I'm leaning toward...

This one is my favorite, based on the reviewers' photos, but they don't have it in a 5, so a 6 will have to do...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009PKAT7U/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

I really REALLY like this one for comfort (and being able to close my fingers), but they don't have the 3cttw in a size 5... only a 6. They do, however, have the 5 cttw in a size 5, but FIVE 1.0 ct stones across my finger?? Ummm... I don't think that will work. LOL ;-)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FXW7U80/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&th=1&psc=1

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
0E382458-3D27-44F6-A7F2-D8A345656F2C.jpeg EBD21DB5-DBAE-4355-A6EE-36B4C0197C9F.jpeg A350C9CF-E16A-4668-B78B-DE84B6445D1A.jpeg

With my Cartier trinity...
04008EC9-C40C-4F97-9997-AFEA9645275B.jpeg F326A6CD-D6BE-4BE9-A4CD-3C1179A3ECBE.jpeg 528B2AC0-1B5C-4937-A72E-6A2FCC79D09F.jpeg

Back with a review! @msop04

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good (for me) is that the size I ordered seems to be generally correct. I’m a 7.25 and I ordered an 8. So it fits, and is a little big as I’d expect, but a previous poster didn’t have that experience, so we know the company can be inconsistent. So that’s too bad. It’s nicely made, all the prongs look even.

But geeze, is this thing fakey white. Here it is with my F colored oval. I’ve never seen it look so yellow. o_O

Attachments

• D5E1E3CB-2293-49AD-8B72-5764623683C0.jpeg
    D5E1E3CB-2293-49AD-8B72-5764623683C0.jpeg
    164.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 1210A89A-FD6A-4E66-BAEC-C3492C0CE0D0.jpeg
    1210A89A-FD6A-4E66-BAEC-C3492C0CE0D0.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 44

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I did want to say that I’m glad I ordered this for $11, since one day I may get a seven or nine stone with these sized diamonds. :Up_to_something:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
0E382458-3D27-44F6-A7F2-D8A345656F2C.jpeg EBD21DB5-DBAE-4355-A6EE-36B4C0197C9F.jpeg A350C9CF-E16A-4668-B78B-DE84B6445D1A.jpeg

With my Cartier trinity...
04008EC9-C40C-4F97-9997-AFEA9645275B.jpeg F326A6CD-D6BE-4BE9-A4CD-3C1179A3ECBE.jpeg 528B2AC0-1B5C-4937-A72E-6A2FCC79D09F.jpeg

Back with a review! @msop04

Well, some good news and some bad news. The good (for me) is that the size I ordered seems to be generally correct. I’m a 7.25 and I ordered an 8. So it fits, and is a little big as I’d expect, but a previous poster didn’t have that experience, so we know the company can be inconsistent. So that’s too bad. It’s nicely made, all the prongs look even.

But geeze, is this thing fakey white. Here it is with my F colored oval. I’ve never seen it look so yellow. o_O

If it's cz i think you can bake it in the oven to add a little color!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results