shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent. Please Help. Need expert opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lola

Rough_Rock
Hi people,

i just went shopping for a diamond today and ran into this Natural Faint Pink Stone. Im fairly new in diamonds and this one was just gorgeous. Please help me decide if this is worth my $$$. He will sell it to me for $7200. He will hold it for me for a week.

GIA
Round Brilliant
6.45 - 6.54 x 4.03 mm
Weight: 1.04 Carat
Depth: 62.0%
Table: 57%
Girdle: Thin to Med
Culet: None
Polish: Good
Symmety: Good
Clarity: SI1
Color: Natural, Faint Pink
Fluorescence: None

Any help or advice will be Great!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I know very little about pink diamonds, but from what I''ve seen the price looks about right for a 1 carat faint pink.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
First the good:
The diamond has a GIA report (hopefully a full color report and by the information you posted it probably has.)
The diamond is over 1 carat.
The price seems fair.
Color: Natural
Now the bad:
Girdle: Thin to Med suggests something might be off in the cut. worst then "Med", but not as bad as "Thin to Thick". Also, might be why the diameter is off. (6.45mm - 6.54mm)
Clarity: SI1 (Not too bad, but yet not good either)
Color: Faint Pink (not enough color to be called a fancy colored diamond)

Remember that these are just my opinions, and I have not seen the diamond. It may be a very nice lightly colored pinkish diamond.

Joker....

AndyRosse

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2005 12:45:24 PM
Author: The Joker

Clarity: SI1 (Not too bad, but yet not good either)
As long as the SI1 is eye clean, why wouldn''t it be good? Why pay for more clarity that you can''t even see? As long as the GIA plot doesn''t show any big problems, like feathers breaking the surface at the girdle, etc, there is nothing the matter with a SI1!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi,
Was the diamond set?

The price seems very good to me, IF the stone showed pink.
Sometimes they do sometimes they don''t- the setting can make a big difference, that''s why I asked. If the stone faced up noticably pink and it''s loose- then it''s surely a good deal.

As far as the cut- everything goes out the window if it''s a pink stone.
In other words- If it looks nice and has a pink hue, the concerns about girdle and such are much less of an issue.
Not to say you don''t want a beautiful make on any diamond you buy- but the fact is, cutters need to use special techniques when cutting for fancy colors, and this does not work well with an "ideal cut".

I would also consider a stone like the one you mentioned- again, IF it shows pink- as a Fancy Color diamond.

It sounds as though you''ve seen the diamond and love it- that''s why it sounds like it could possibly be a good deal.

The Joker

Shiny_Rock
Krayzzie77:
No one so far has said that the diamond is not worth the $7200 that is being asked. You have seen the diamond and have said that it is "just gorgeous". The graders at GIA don''t think that there is enough pink face-up on that diamond to give it a "Fancy color" report. They called it "Faint Pink", not Fancy light Pink, or Fancy Pink. I have not seen this diamond, but you have. If YOU think it has enough pink in it for YOU, then buy it. Most Faint colors I have seen are just that---FAINT.
That does not mean it is not a nice diamond, it just means that the color is Faint, and you will probably have to tell everyone that you have a faint pink diamond, because most people won''t know its pink unless you tell them...

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2005 6:52:28 PM

you will probably have to tell everyone that you have a faint pink diamond, because most people won't know its pink unless you tell them...
Yeah... in such scenario, this is "D color with a twist". It's nice to have it totally colorless, and the pinkish tint sounds like a nice secret of the ring.

The imaginary dialog might be

" That's sooo white!... Actually, no.. it's pink"
1.gif

instead of

"Is that supposed to be pink !?"
33.gif

IMO, the setting makes the difference here. If it really does hint to "fancy color" - the design might prompt the second kind of conversation. A thoughtful setting that does show off the slight color against pure white background ( =, say, small D/E color sides or pave) without looking like typical fancy rings would likely bring the stone in a favorable light (pun intended).

Just my opinion, as usual.
34.gif

lola

Rough_Rock
thanks guys for all your expert advice... i know you guys are baseing it on the #''s ive given but all your advice really did help.
the salesman showed me a handful of diamonds and all of them were beautiful but when he brought out that ''faint pink'' diamond, it really just stood out... even though the color was very subtle it was enough for me to notice it compared to the regular diamonds

i do have a couple questions about the statment that “damondsbylauren” made above. He stated, “As far as the cut- everything goes out the window if it''s a pink stone”. Does this mean that light return or brilliance/fire don’t apply to this diamond?

bluedawg

Shiny_Rock
It sounds beautiful-- I''ve never seen a faint pink stone. I hope you''ll post some pictures if you decide to buy the diamond. GL

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think what Diamonds by Lauren was trying to say is not that cut doesn''t matter for colored diamonds, but that colored stones are often cut with the addiitional consideration of enhancing their color, which often may not be ideal cut. This makes sense if you think about it, because an ideal cut diamond "hides" it''s body color well, which is not exactly what you want if you are trying to bring out the body color of a pink diamond. I think you''ll have to decide whether the overall effect is pleasing to you or not, and not just decide by the numbers.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2005 12:45:24 PM

Girdle: Thin to Med suggests something might be off in the cut. worst then ''Med'', but not as bad as ''Thin to Thick''.

Thin to Med => PERFECT

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results