shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent Help with choosing between a OEC & Transitional diamond

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Ahh, sorry for that. Hopefully this link to one of her listings will work:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exceptiona...270025?hash=item21463c2ec9:g:WakAAOSwS3dbe~TP

It does appear though that the ring you’ve already found is making your heart sing. I love the back story and knowing the provenance of a stone or piece - it’s what draws me to old cuts more than others.

To answer your questions, I will always attempt to negotiate. The worst they can say is “No.” However, I don’t think placing value on whether a piece is custom made or the assigning lower value of smaller diamonds will be effective. TBH, parcels of smaller old cuts, if cut well, match and/or can be grouped in an appealing manner can actually be quite expensive.

Really great advice! Again, I was not aware of the value of finding new smaller stones. Thank you kindly for sharing that, and continuing with my education!

I should give a bit of background:. The Appraiser agreed that the ring 1 setting was rudimentary:

“Yes, I agree the finish of the ring at present is a bit rudimentary as it is made of assembled cast pieces.”

She believes that remaking in the ring in platinum was a good idea. Because it could be refined In the remake.

As a result, i was hoping that they would take the value of the gold ( which could be used either Goldsmith) and offer a small further discount. That, along with the fact that we will be ordering wedding bands through them, (possibly customising mine) was why we thought they give us a further discount for tall of the work were asking them to do. I think it is also part of English culture to haggle! I grew up In Canada, and the idea asking for discount was unheard-of. The price was the price.

Here there is sometimes a bit of Too’ing and throwing to reach the final price.
As you say, the value of the smaller stones should not be overlooked.

I really do love the ring, and look forward to owning it.
Many thanks!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
@CloverBuddha I’m slightly confused now though - are you still wanting to replicate that ring in platinum with other stones or are you going to buy that ring and remake it in platinum?

No, I’m sticking with the original OEC diamonds and having it re-made in platinum. From the feedback I got here, I realise that ringt 2 was not a to move.

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok sooooo now big question! Are you sure you are going to remake the original or make a new design?

Here are some suggestions (definitely no right or wrong as the original is super cute)

66D6CEB9-56E1-46CB-BB44-81A536E96632.jpeg

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I’m sticking with the original OEC diamonds and having it re-made in platinum. From the feedback I got here, I realise that ringt 2 was not a to move.
Awesome! I really like that original ring AND its diamonds!!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Ok sooooo now big question! Are you sure you are going to remake the original or make a new design?

Here are some suggestions (definitely no right or wrong as the original is super cute)

66D6CEB9-56E1-46CB-BB44-81A536E96632.jpeg
Hello! I love the styles you’ve shared! Really got us thinking we could design our own ring. We are both designers of different disciplines, and it could an memorable project together

I love the idea of having a enterlockimg wedding ring and engagement ring, and we originally were try to see how to do this, so it’s helpful showing us a pretty example.
Am also taken by middle left cluster design! Oh the possibilities!

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Really great advice! Again, I was not aware of the value of finding new smaller stones. Thank you kindly for sharing that, and continuing with my education!

I should give a bit of background:. The Appraiser agreed that the ring 1 setting was rudimentary:

“Yes, I agree the finish of the ring at present is a bit rudimentary as it is made of assembled cast pieces.”

She believes that remaking in the ring in platinum was a good idea. Because it could be refined In the remake.

As a result, i was hoping that they would take the value of the gold ( which could be used either Goldsmith) and offer a small further discount. That, along with the fact that we will be ordering wedding bands through them, (possibly customising mine) was why we thought they give us a further discount for tall of the work were asking them to do. I think it is also part of English culture to haggle! I grew up In Canada, and the idea asking for discount was unheard-of. The price was the price.

Here there is sometimes a bit of Too’ing and throwing to reach the final price.
As you say, the value of the smaller stones should not be overlooked.

I really do love the ring, and look forward to owning it.
Many thanks!

I also grew up in a culture (Asian) that customarily viewed haggling as a normal part of transactions. It can be considered a fine art. :D If you’re planning to purchase multiple items and have them fabricate a new setting, I think it definitely gives you more leverage to work on the price.

Love the suggestions that @KKJohnson shared - especially the solitaire with a cluster band. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A glad that you liked the ideas! I was thinking that you would appreciate a unique cluster and yes! The interlocking solitaire and wedding band combo is such a good idea, I did something similar with the use of my original marquise setting; I recycled as much as the diamonds as I could and ended up with two separate rings. One I used as my engagement ring and the other the wedding band, I think this idea could be applied to really any design you choose. Can’t wait to see the what end result

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Hello! I love the styles you’ve shared! Really got us thinking we could design our own ring. We are both designers of different disciplines, and it could an memorable project together

I love the idea of having a enterlockimg wedding ring and engagement ring, and we originally were try to see how to do this, so it’s helpful showing us a pretty example.
Am also taken by middle left cluster design! Oh the possibilities!

A glad that you liked the ideas! I was thinking that you would appreciate a unique cluster and yes! The interlocking solitaire and wedding band combo is such a good idea, I did something similar with the use of my original marquise setting; I recycled as much as the diamonds as I could and ended up with two separate rings. One I used as my engagement ring and the other the wedding band, I think this idea could be applied to really any design you choose. Can’t wait to see the what end result

Hello again! Do you mind posting the links to where you got these amazing images? I would like to see different views and take them to the Jeweller this Saturday. Thank you In advance

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
I also grew up in a culture (Asian) that customarily viewed haggling as a normal part of transactions. It can be considered a fine art. :D If you’re planning to purchase multiple items and have them fabricate a new setting, I think it definitely gives you more leverage to work on the price.

Love the suggestions that @KKJohnson shared - especially the solitaire with a cluster band. Can’t wait to see what you decide!

Let the haggling begin! As had been said, they can just say ‘No’.

Great to know!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
@stonewell Positively YES!

@CloverBuddha all I can say is wow, what a beautiful ring. And although not my period and not my style (I like stuff somewhat older), I think the setting and the ring as they stand are gorgeous.

I hate seeing precious old things get dismantled and cast aside. I've refrained from doing so many times and to me, there is zero way the antiquity, patina and aura of an antique "replica" setting comes close to matching the aesthetics of an original old setting...no way...it just doesn't happen.

IMHO, if an old setting is in great condition, that is the structural integrity is good, and the piece has been well loved, well to me it is a true jewel, a real find.

If this woman kept her jewels in the floor-boards of her home and owned those earrings shown up-thread, all I can say is WOW! I've viewed your ring several times and it is pristine! The ring looks like it was rarely worn.

And the jeweler has it inaccurately described with brilliant cut diamonds. Clearly, the diamonds are divine OECs...really precious.

The entire script makes for a lovely story, although many antique & vintage sellers use and occasionally embellish such stories to promote sales. My jeweler, who ends up with the headache of fixing, sizing and restoring my pre-loved pieces says, "I'm a fool & a sucker because I always overpay for the sentimental value of a piece." Sentimental value, that's what he calls it. But your jeweler sounds credible and the other jewels allegedly purchased from this woman's daughter lead me to believe the woman had an eye for gorgeous quality stuff!

The ring is beautiful and the diamonds are gorgeous! I can see someone like David Klass creating a somewhat more refined ring utilizing the initial setting as inspiration.

It sounds like your already love this ring.

Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!
Well hello! I’m not sure why I missed this message you sent over a week ago, apologies!

Thank you for your positive response to my ring, despite not really being your style.

I totally agree with you, I like vintage / antique things to stay intact, as close to their original start in life, as it were. It’s a shame with this ring; though it is 18 carat gold, I am allergic to the alloys mixed in with the gold and so can’t wear it.
Also, under close inspection, the prongs and body have quite a few marks left from construction which haven’t been polished away. The prongs are also quite rudimentary, with rough marks on them, so really needed to have an update. We are staying as authentic as possible to the design, just refining the overall appearance and updating the metal so I can wear it for the rest of my life!
So excited… We’ve let the jeweller Tom know today that we are buying it! Happy days… And soon I’ll be able to look at the ring, rather than setting over the photographs I’ve taken!

With regards to the previous owner, the daughter said her mother rarely wore jewellery, and she hadn’t seen these pieces that she had stashed beneath the floorboards. So that is probably why there is no where on the ring. Oh, the romance and sentimental value of a good tale!!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone,
I thought I’d leave a quick update.
1. Thanks to your advice, we have Purchased the OEC ring! And I am over the moon!
2. It’s in the workshop now being remade in platinum! It will be a six week process, from CAD to completion.
3. I had a good look at the diamonds and they were very clean, with no nicks or chips. The approver appraiser said there are a combination of old mine cuts and OEC cuts which make up the surrounding diamonds. The central time it is definitely a OEC. We will find out the exact total cat wait when the original ring is deconstructed.
4. The jewellery shop owner Tom has been following this conversation!
**Hello Tom! **
As He got loads of hits to his website from me posting the URL, he had a look and has been following the thread! Thank goodness I kept it clean! Anyway, he thanked me for introducing me to Price Scope! Hahahahahhah

I’ll be back in 5 1/2 weeks (not that I’m counting!) With photos of the ring on my finger. Can’t wait to share.

Again, Thank you all so much for your contributions. <3

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congrats, @CloverBuddha! Look forward to seeing the ring when it’s done. I hope you’ll share lots and lots of pics because there can never be too many! :mrgreen2:

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Congrats, @CloverBuddha! Look forward to seeing the ring when it’s done. I hope you’ll share lots and lots of pics because there can never be too many! :mrgreen2:

Too right! :appl:
Just have to work out how to make the photos look pretty-the ones I’ve done so far have created a fine layer of speckling over the diamonds, so they look pitted. Any tips on how to photograph diamonds? I’m not on there is a thread that I should be looking out for…

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too right! :appl:
Just have to work out how to make the photos look pretty-the ones I’ve done so far have created a fine layer of speckling over the diamonds, so they look pitted. Any tips on how to photograph diamonds? I’m not on there is a thread that I should be looking out for…
As it happens, there is a thread on how to take good diamond pictures - it’s here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/ :P2
Very exciting that you’ve bought the ring and its renaissance is in progress. Did you make any changes to it? I seem to recall the prongs were a bit rough or something?

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The thread @foxinsox linked is full of excellent tips. It usually takes several of the same shot for me to find one that’s angled properly and/or completely in focus. Try lots of different lighting as well. You’ll soon discover the ones that give you the best results.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
As it happens, there is a thread on how to take good diamond pictures - it’s here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/ :P2
Very exciting that you’ve bought the ring and its renaissance is in progress. Did you make any changes to it? I seem to recall the prongs were a bit rough or something?

Thanks for the link - will make good bedtime reading!

I’ve found that the ring’s crossover design is a Victorian style with romantic connotations

“It also represents the joining of two - a romantic idea for an engagement piece. The popularity of this style continued throughout the century across the different jewellery periods. In 1910, the famed American jeweller Seaman Schepps gave his wife a crossover ring marking their engagement, of an opal and a diamond. In 1953, John F. Kennedy gave an emerald and diamond crossover ring by Van Cleef & to Jacqueline Onassis.”

I really love the meaning, so apart from tweaking it slightly, we are sticking quite true to the original shape, as we like it it kind of reminds me of a constellation.
I do need some advice the type of claws/prong

As there are so many, jeweller says that the talon prong shape isn’t suitable as will likely snag on things.

Any ideas on the best everyday claw shape for multi stone rings photos are definitely welcome! Thanks

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
The thread @foxinsox linked is full of excellent tips. It usually takes several of the same shot for me to find one that’s angled properly and/or completely in focus. Try lots of different lighting as well. You’ll soon discover the ones that give you the best results.

Thanks! Any opportunity to gaze at my ring again and again!

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
Hello everyome! A quick visual update:

Just got CAD back from Jewellers: Unfortunately, I cannot upload the video (MP4) of it so here is a still image, and the original ring on my hand. We have changed the design and the structure of the e-ring, and will set it in platinum. The claws will be refined so wont be as rough as the original setting. So excited to see this when it's completed.
fullsizeoutput_4cc8.jpeg IMG_1589.jpg

Below is my Wedding band which arrived last week. (not to be worn with the e-ring. this will be worn on the R hand.
I just love how each ring has the similarity of wrapping around my finger. The reference to the Victorian 'crossover ring', and the two bands (individuals) coming together at the big OEC = represents love. Aaaaaaw!
IMG_6946.JPG IMG_6880.JPG

So, what do you think so far?

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love both your rings @CloverBuddha, it’ll be such a pretty and unique ER.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think your jeweler got the proportions and flow exactly right =) it's going to look amazing.

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
i think your jeweler got the proportions and flow exactly right =) it's going to look amazing.

Yes! Well spotted- in actual fact, it was my fiance and I who instructed the design changes. That curved flow brings the ring to life with visual movement.

Last edited:

stonewell

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the CADs look great! There is a smoother flow to the overall ring compared to the original. I’m excited for you to see it finished. :appl:

CloverBuddha

Rough_Rock
She has arrived. We're over the moon!
Surprise #1 I had no real idea how sparkly her diamonds actually are. I had accepted that my ring may not sparkle like a modern cut: how wrong I was! The jeweller said the stones had been cleaned when my ring was being made in platinum, and wow! In all kinds of light (but especially in low light) my ring sparkles like the fireball I've heard described here.

Surprise #2 The ring looks so beautiful in its new delicate platinum setting and our refinement. I love the tiny round claws, and how the stones now look like they are floating on my finger. She's such a pleasure to look at.

Surprise #3 The central stone was estimated at 0.97ct and TCW as 1.97.
Well, her central stone weighs in at a whooping 1.29ct, so **0.33 more**! I thought so looking at it, but was super happy when it was confirmed!

I now have a dream ring, with antique diamonds as a reminder of the love shared with my future husband (each of the ten satellite stones, each larger the previous one, represents a year my OH and I have been together. The shape mimics the Victorian bypass ring: And the arc of stones above and below the centre stone is he & I, and the central diamond represents love.

SoI feel fortunate to have found the original diamond-doner ring and be drawn into the beautiful world of OEC's.

So here's are some photos of her. I know I need to improve on them, so please be gracious! It's a pretty grey day on London, so even though the stones face up sparkly & white, look much darker. Also noticed they reflect the back of my phone, which is black! So These photos do not do her justice...

IMG_8180.jpg IMG_8174.jpg IMG_8179.jpg IMG_8178.jpg IMG_8184.jpg IMG_8185.jpg

These below were taken in front of my Old European Cut Diamond print I bought when I was waiting for the real one to arrive!
IMG_8188.jpg IMG_8186.jpg

Finally, here is the original ring. Glad to have offered her new life :love:
fullsizeoutput_49fa.jpeg

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very blingy and unique. Congratulations on a such a successful project. The ring looks amazing on you.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
congrats! wear it in good health!

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how beautiful! She’s a sparkler and is just better in your remake than the original. I’m so happy for you. Congratulations on your engagement to you and your fiancé

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results