shape
carat
color
clarity

Urgent advice request - jeweler made unauthorized change!

bd6845

Rough_Rock
Hey everyone, a few months ago this forum was invaluable in helping me select the perfect ring for my now-fiancee! Thank you!

However, our jeweler is a local shop and generally have great ratings but they made a significant change without even calling us for permission! The ring I bought her had a low-set halo and we bought two regular ring shaped wedding bands, one to sit on each side of the halo. We didn't want a curved wedding band, and the saleswoman assured us that they would just trim down a portion of the supports for the halo so that the wedding bands would sit flush. Sounded fine to us.

A few days later they called and said the bench had finished and that the 'trimming down' of the supports wouldn't have worked so they WENT AHEAD and REPLACED the supports (which originally had diamonds on them and came out at a beautiful angle) with plan metal supports that went basically straight up from the ring instead of 'out' to support the halo. My fiancee and I are so mad that they did this without even asking if that's what we want - nevermind the fact that they couldn't deliver what they said they could (just trimming down the supports) which is why we purchased the two bands from them!

My fiancee really values the sentimental value of wearing the original ring I proposed to her with. The shop is willing to re-cast a new setting that is wider and taller in order to go back to the original design, but then the ring wouldn't be the same ring I proposed with. They said they can go backwards and restore the ring to how it originally was. My question is, if they 'go backwards' to restore the ring, do I need to be worried about the affect that might have on structural integrity?

They also shot down my idea of taking the original halo and 'raising' it by the height of the wedding bands in order for the original design to be kept, and have the wedding bands sit flush. They said the halo would break off if we did that. Does that sound right to you?

Ugh, we are very frustrated.

Thank you

bd6845

Rough_Rock
Re: Urgent advice request - jeweler made unauthorized change

scan_0.jpg

Here's a summary of what happened.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bd6845|1464026453|4035289 said:
Hey everyone, a few months ago this forum was invaluable in helping me select the perfect ring for my now-fiancee! Thank you!

However, our jeweler is a local shop and generally have great ratings but they made a significant change without even calling us for permission! The ring I bought her had a low-set halo and we bought two regular ring shaped wedding bands, one to sit on each side of the halo. We didn't want a curved wedding band, and the saleswoman assured us that they would just trim down a portion of the supports for the halo so that the wedding bands would sit flush. Sounded fine to us.

A few days later they called and said the bench had finished and that the 'trimming down' of the supports wouldn't have worked so they WENT AHEAD and REPLACED the supports (which originally had diamonds on them and came out at a beautiful angle) with plan metal supports that went basically straight up from the ring instead of 'out' to support the halo. My fiancee and I are so mad that they did this without even asking if that's what we want - nevermind the fact that they couldn't deliver what they said they could (just trimming down the supports) which is why we purchased the two bands from them!

My fiancee really values the sentimental value of wearing the original ring I proposed to her with. The shop is willing to re-cast a new setting that is wider and taller in order to go back to the original design, but then the ring wouldn't be the same ring I proposed with. They said they can go backwards and restore the ring to how it originally was. My question is, if they 'go backwards' to restore the ring, do I need to be worried about the affect that might have on structural integrity?

They also shot down my idea of taking the original halo and 'raising' it by the height of the wedding bands in order for the original design to be kept, and have the wedding bands sit flush. They said the halo would break off if we did that. Does that sound right to you?

Ugh, we are very frustrated.

Thank you

It sounds like you have two choices... either you can keep it like it is and have flush bands but not like the gallery, or you can have them recast it to the original design you liked to begin with, have gaps with either band, and not have the original ring. FWIW, NOTHING will ever be the original, since it's already been altered anyway. If it's not that noticeable on the gallery and you must have flush fit bands, then I would just go with it. Once you get married, you'll likely not wear the ring without the bands anyway.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bd6845|1464027004|4035298 said:
scan_0.jpg

Here's a summary of what happened.

From what I can tell from these drawings, it just doesn't look like that big of a deal. The bands will be flush.

bd6845

Rough_Rock

You're right, the second we had it resized after we realized I gave her a slightly large ring, it technically wasn't original. But she really liked having the diamonds on the supports of the halo and we can't see the bottom of the diamond any more since the new supports are closer together and have much less space around the diamond.

I think we will probably just have it re-cast into a new mould. I just don't understand why they said it would be structurally unsound if we raised the halo up by the height of the wedding bands. To me it looks like the same contact would be made @ supports/band connection between my idea and what they gave us, but he's the expert.

bd6845

Rough_Rock

And I should clarify...they can re-cast the original design, but the ring would need to be 0.2 mm wider to support a higher halo in order for the wedding bands to be flush. So it would be slightly wider, slightly taller, and the supports would be at a steeper angle in order to better support everything.

Anyone know if 0.2mm wider of a band is noticeable? It's hard for me to visualize...

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Definitely have it remade. Can you show us a magnified picture of it? I honestly love a little gap because I don't like the look of one wide band. I'd just wear a band below the engagement ring and not on both sides. I'd like to see how high it is now, because we do see halos that are way too high now and then, and that is not good because the ring can get more easily whacked on things.

bd6845

Rough_Rock

When you say definitely have it re-made, do you mean go with the fresh cast into the new mould? That's what I was leaning towards...

I unfortunately don't have original pics that show the side of the ring - only from the top :/ But here are the photos the jeweler sent us when they were first explaining what they did to our ring! There used to be diamonds on the supports and the supports used to come out wider and were straight rather than curved like they are now. We definitely prefer the old design!

capture_40.jpg capture2_3.jpg

I just wish they would have been able to move the entire halo assembly up by attaching it all to a 'block' section above the original ring...

bd6845

Rough_Rock

A concern if I went the route of restoring the ring to the original design (without the raised halo) would be how they connect the supports they add. They said it's a laser soldering process, but that doesn't sound like it would be structurally as strong as a solid-cast piece.

So yeah, two options:

1. Go back to original design, laser solder old supports back on, keeps original diamonds and metal. Bands won't sit flush.

2. Re-cast into a slightly wider, higher design, can re-use metal, halo diamonds and center stone. Might need to replace band diamonds to be slightly larger due to the increased width. Bands will sit flush.

Number two sounds like a better solution, right?

bd6845

Rough_Rock

Hm....the fiancee actually said she felt the diamond was 'too low' in this setting, maybe she doesn't like a flush halo?

It looks like a regular wedding band would fit flush against that Victor design, right? That was my idea that I showed the shop here, having the supports come out of the top of the band like that, but they insisted it wouldn't be sound. Maybe their only gripe was the width being too small for the original design to accommodate that...

Does anyone know the width of that Victor band? And whether a regular ring-shaped wedding band would sit flush there?

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gosh, if it were me, and my local jeweler had done this extensive and completely unauthorized major change to my ring, I'd be furious, and I also would have entirely lost faith in the vendor. I'd ask for all my money back, on everything I'd purchased, and go elsewhere to start over. But that's me.

bd6845

Rough_Rock

Yeah, it's been very upsetting. Starting over doesn't feel like the best option right now. Wedding is coming up soon, and I have the attention of the entire business and they're all scrambling to make things right. Fiancee loved the original ring so I'm just trying to figure out the best option from here to make her feel it's still her ring rather than have this new set of ugly supports...

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

marymm|1464036112|4035369 said:
Gosh, if it were me, and my local jeweler had done this extensive and completely unauthorized major change to my ring, I'd be furious, and I also would have entirely lost faith in the vendor. I'd ask for all my money back, on everything I'd purchased, and go elsewhere to start over. But that's me.

+1 to this! I would be so upset if I were you guys! I would seriously think about whether you want them to do ANYTHING else versus just asking for all money back and starting again. Of course I totally understand hesitation to do that, but at this point I would have lost all trust in them. I'm so sorry :(

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

bd6845|1464035909|4035367 said:
Hm....the fiancee actually said she felt the diamond was 'too low' in this setting, maybe she doesn't like a flush halo?

It looks like a regular wedding band would fit flush against that Victor design, right? That was my idea that I showed the shop here, having the supports come out of the top of the band like that, but they insisted it wouldn't be sound. Maybe their only gripe was the width being too small for the original design to accommodate that...

Does anyone know the width of that Victor band? And whether a regular ring-shaped wedding band would sit flush there?

The diamond isn't set too low in the halo... the halo is too low. You don't want the diamond set high on the halo...

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

lovedogs|1464036768|4035376 said:
marymm|1464036112|4035369 said:

+1 to this! I would be so upset if I were you guys! I would seriously think about whether you want them to do ANYTHING else versus just asking for all money back and starting again. Of course I totally understand hesitation to do that, but at this point I would have lost all trust in them. I'm so sorry :(

+2
I'd just have a more experienced bench remake it correctly. This jeweler could remake it 2 or more times and it STILL not be right, KWIM?

jaaron

Brilliant_Rock

bd6845 said:

I have a flush fit Emilya from Victor. I don't know that there's a completely standard width, as I believe he varies it depending on finger size, centre diamond size, etc. Most of them seem to be 1.8 - 1.9mm. Do you think yours is narrower than that? It's certainly possible, bit I suspect it's unlikely.

Yes, a wedding band will sit flush next to it. That said, if I'm going to be perfectly honest, the one thing I wish I'd done differently is to not have gone with flush fit. I find myself pulling it down all the time to keep a little gap between the rings, which I prefer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results