shape
carat
color
clarity

Upset with WF service on repair - feedback appreciated...

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all -

I ordered my wedding band from Whiteflash back in 2008. I cannot find a link or photo, but it is a five stone trellis band very similar to this one (both in stone size and design), with five .40 stones...

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-56-cttw-5-stone-band.72660/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-2-56-cttw-5-stone-band.72660/[/URL]

It is set in platinum. Originally, I asked Leon Mege (who made my original engagement ring) to make this band, but he refused, saying that it was a 'cheap' setting. I was not sure what he meant, but proceeded to order it from Whiteflash.

Fast forward a few years to 2011, when I lost a stone from the band. Luckily I was able to recover it, and had Whiteflash reset it for me. However, every couple of years the stones get loose, and require servicing. This runs me about $325 every time I get Whiteflash to service it. I have several other diamond rings set in platinum, and this is the only one that requires this frequency of servicing.

I recently sent the ring back to Whiteflash as the stones are, once again, loose. I received a notice that the ring had been received, and was told that I would be contacted by customer service within a few days to confirm service specifics. On a Friday, I was provided with a service quote in an email indicating that they required me to reply to the email as consent to proceed with service. They said that, once I did, I would receive a PayPal request for payment.

I understood from these emails that service would not proceed prior to me replying to the email quote, and prior to making the Paypal payment. I was traveling that weekend but intended to contact Whiteflash prior to authorizing the service, as I wanted to inquire as to whether this frequency of service was typical of this setting. If so, I was going to consider a reset to a more secure setting.

On Monday I received pictures of my completed ring. The service had proceeded without my authorization, and prior to a Paypal invoice even being sent to me. They have since invoiced me for US$335.

I am upset that they proceeded with this work prior to my authorization, and without even giving me a chance to send an inquiry. I expressed my dismay to their customer service department, and was simply told that this type of maintenance is typical of 950 platinum. I was also told that there was a new employee dealing with service requests, which is why my ring was serviced without my consent. They apologized but did not offer to do anything about the error.

I am upset with how these events have unfolded, and am wondering if, in your opinion, my disappointment is justified? Also, is this frequency of maintenance really typical of 950 platinum? I have used platinum for all of my settings because I thought it was stronger and required less maintenance.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.. thank you in advance!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Upset with WF service on repair - feedback appreciated..

I can understand why you would be unhappy about the error, but I do think it was just an unintentional error. I would guess that the person who made the mistake assumed you were wanting it fixed since you sent it to them. As to the setting style, I am not sure I would keep that setting since it has been problematic (and no, I do not think that is a "cheap" setting). I'd reset in a different style that was more secure. 950 platinum/iridium is not the hardest platinum alloy, but it is the most common one used. I would have a replacement ring made in either 900plat/iridium or 950plat/ruthenium which are harder than the 950plat/iridium. I think after the first servicing, if it happened again, I would be considering a reset rather than accumulating additional repair costs. So if I came to that conclusion, I might explain that to them (as in you wanted the quote before proceeding since you might reset instead, if that is the case).

Good to see you, other than the reason you are here! :wavey:

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Lovely ring. Is it possible that due to the misunderstanding Whiteflash might credit that amount toward a new setting that will be more secure?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

$325 each time?! That is really insane to me. You could be well on your way to paying for a new ring with all those charges! Do you have to pay for shipping there and back also?

I would bet there was originally a problem with porosity or something, because it's just not normal for diamonds to keep falling out.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I also would not pay the current invoice, since you never authorized the work. A jeweler (or any service company) should not do any work without your consent.

ETA: okay, now that I saw the ring, it is beautiful. But that style is inherently vulnerable because there are only two prongs holding each diamond. I used to own a diamond band that had four prongs holding each melee and that thing was like a tank! I would switch to a more secure setting style.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Laila619|1458585101|4009000 said:
$325 each time?! That is really insane to me. You could be well on your way to paying for a new ring with all those charges!

I would bet there was originally a problem with porosity or something, because it's just not normal for diamonds to keep falling out.

Thanks for your reply - much appreciated.

This is what they said about the platinum...

"Are your others rings made of 950 platinum? 950 is the finest and also the softest, which means it can wear differently. The majority of platinum jewelry is made in 900 but now ours. Also with those nice diamonds on there, it may be at higher risk for bumping into things.

All rings should have routine inspections and maintenance as a preventative to loss. Even the slightest bump can push a prong out of place, without you knowing it."

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your feedback, diamondseeker2006 - and nice to see you, too! :) I have not been around much these last few years, largely due to two children, two moves, etc., etc... Given my absence, I did not realize that this setting had proven problematic for others. That was the kind of info I was looking for from Whiteflash, but they suggested that the regular repairs were not due to the setting design, but rather the platinum used. I have chosen platinum for all of my diamond rings thinking that it required less, not more, maintenance.

I have shied away from a reset for sentimental reasons, given that this is the ring that I got married with. That said, these constant maintenance costs are dulling my love of this design, despite the fact that I find it very beautiful. :(

Thank you for your feedback - it is much appreciated:)

diamondseeker2006|1458584229|4008987 said:
I can understand why you would be unhappy about the error, but I do think it was just an unintentional error. I would guess that the person who made the mistake assumed you were wanting it fixed since you sent it to them. As to the setting style, I am not sure I would keep that setting since it has been problematic (and no, I do not think that is a "cheap" setting). I'd reset in a different style that was more secure. 950 platinum/iridium is not the hardest platinum alloy, but it is the most common one used. I would have a replacement ring made in either 900plat/iridium or 950plat/ruthenium which are harder than the 950plat/iridium. I think after the first servicing, if it happened again, I would be considering a reset rather than accumulating additional repair costs. So if I came to that conclusion, I might explain that to them (as in you wanted the quote before proceeding since you might reset instead, if that is the case).

Good to see you, other than the reason you are here! :wavey:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would suggest looking at a new setting made from a less malleable material than platinum like white gold.

susief

Shiny_Rock

Not keen on their explanation. What has the diamonds being "nice" got to do with bumping into things?? And most people seem to have 950 platinum rings, not 900, and aren't losing stones constantly.

I would have the conversation you wanted to with them now. If you decide you want a different course of action, they should absorb the cost of the repair as it was entirely their mistake to proceed without authorisation. You shouldn't have to pay for their error.

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the explaination on pt 900 vs 950 is a BS.
Pt 950 is a common and popular metal that is used everywhere. This is literally WF saying "pt 950 is soft, but we made the setting anyways. It may not be durable and may requires frequent repairs and services. After one year warranty period, deal with it"

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If I had received those emails indicating service would not move forward without my explicit consent, then, yes, I might be upset about that.

However, from your posts it sounds like this is at least the 3rd time you've send the band back to re-set a diamond, so if the WF emails were an anomaly (i.e., wrongly sent by a new employee and thus perhaps unknown by other WF employees) it doesn't surprise me WF went forward with the same servicing/repair you've had in the past.

I do understand your frustration with the repeated repairs, but in other threads in prior years you indicated you wanted a 5-stone band you could wear every day, all day... personally I would not consider this particular band style (with 5 x 0.40ct diamonds) as durable enough for every day/all day wear.

Had the repair not gone forward, and you and WF emailed back and forth about metal/repair frequency issues as you had planned, did you envision a scenario where you would ask WF to return the ring un-repaired?

Is the setting actually crafted by WhiteFlash? Are the stones ACAs? I ask because I wonder if the repair pricing may be affected by either/both of those factors?

It certainly is frustrating you're having this problem with your band, and I'd encourage you to consider another setting.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks for your reply and the feedback, marymm - much appreciated:)

To answer your questions, yes, I did envision a scenario where I would ask WF to return the ring unrepaired. My plan then would likely be to bring it to Victor Canera to consider a reset. And yes, this ring was originally crafted by WF using ACA diamonds.

And, in retrospect, I do regret choosing this setting, though it is beautiful. That said, I did make it clear when originally ordering it that it was for a wedding band. Perhaps this is why Leon refused to make it, realizing that it would not stand up to the daily wear expected of a wedding band. 20/20 hindsight... sigh:(

marymm|1458593796|4009080 said:
If I had received those emails indicating service would not move forward without my explicit consent, then, yes, I might be upset about that.

However, from your posts it sounds like this is at least the 3rd time you've send the band back to re-set a diamond, so if the WF emails were an anomaly (i.e., wrongly sent by a new employee and thus perhaps unknown by other WF employees) it doesn't surprise me WF went forward with the same servicing/repair you've had in the past.

I do understand your frustration with the repeated repairs, but in other threads in prior years you indicated you wanted a 5-stone band you could wear every day, all day... personally I would not consider this particular band style (with 5 x 0.40ct diamonds) as durable enough for every day/all day wear.

Had the repair not gone forward, and you and WF emailed back and forth about metal/repair frequency issues as you had planned, did you envision a scenario where you would ask WF to return the ring un-repaired?

Is the setting actually crafted by WhiteFlash? Are the stones ACAs? I ask because I wonder if the repair pricing may be affected by either/both of those factors?

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

bem3231|1458594084|4009084 said:

To answer your questions, yes, I did envision a scenario where I would ask WF to return the ring unrepaired. My plan then would likely be to bring it to Victor Canera to consider a reset. And yes, this ring was originally crafted by WF using ACA diamonds.

And, in retrospect, I do regret choosing this setting, though it is beautiful. That said, I did make it clear when originally ordering it that it was for a wedding band. Perhaps this is why Leon refused to make it, realizing that it would not stand up to the daily wear expected of a wedding band. 20/20 hindsight... sigh:(

Hi Bem,
This was just brought to my attention and I would like to apologize for both your frustration over the maintenance costs you have experience with your ring, and especially for the failure in communication regarding authorization to perform the work. I have just begun to look into the details but will come back with a full report and an appropriate resolution.

Regarding the "new employee", I have been informed that the ring came in while Vera (head of customer service) was on vactation. It just so happens that I was also out of the country at that time. A very capable member of the team was filling in and using her judgement as to proceed with the repairs in order to speed your turnaround time. Under the circumstances, that was not the correct decision and I apologize for that.

Please allow me to investigate all the details and I will do my best to work something out that will be helpful to you.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Bryan -

Thank you for responding - I appreciate you looking into this further. For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, let me say that, prior to this experience, I have always been very pleased with Whiteflash's work and also the customer service that I have received from the company over many years. I posted this on Pricescope not with an eye to disparaging Whiteflash at all, but rather because I have learned over the years that this forum is a trusted community of very knowledgeable folks whose feedback and opinions I truly appreciate. In this instance I was looking for a barometer as to whether my disappointment was indeed warranted.

It seems from the feedback here that indeed this setting is one that is prone to be problematic in a 950 platinum. That was the type of feedback that I was looking to receive from WF customer service when I expressed my dismay at the service having proceeded without my consent.

Indeed, as per Vera's suggestion I have checked and my Leon Mege and Victor Canera pieces are indeed in 900 platinum, while my Tiffany ring is 950 platinum, but in a bezel setting. I will admit my own ignorance about differences in platinum, however I would have hoped that had this been an incompatible setting for 950 platinum that I would have been advised of this during the design phase.

At any rate, now that the repair has been completed it is not my wish to 'un-repair' the ring, however I do feel that Vera's response to my dismay at how this has proceeded was rather dismissive. I appreciate you looking into this further on my behalf.

Thank you very much.

Texas Leaguer|1458595025|4009089 said:

Hi Bem,
This was just brought to my attention and I would like to apologize for both your frustration over the maintenance costs you have experience with your ring, and especially for the failure in communication regarding authorization to perform the work. I have just begun to look into the details but will come back with a full report and an appropriate resolution.

Regarding the "new employee", I have been informed that the ring came in while Vera (head of customer service) was on vactation. It just so happens that I was also out of the country at that time. A very capable member of the team was filling in and using her judgement as to proceed with the repairs in order to speed your turnaround time. Under the circumstances, that was not the correct decision and I apologize for that.

Please allow me to investigate all the details and I will do my best to work something out that will be helpful to you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I'm sorry if you noted this above and I overlooked this, but what exactly is the PT 950 mix that your ring is made of? Ru or Ir?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just a quick FYI about platinum: 950 platinum itself is not problematic. It depends on what the other 5% (the alloy) is. 950 platinum alloyed with ruthenium is what Tiffany and Leon Mege use. It is very durable and scratch resistant. On the other hand, 950 platinum alloyed with iridium (which is what your ring is) can be very soft and sometimes problematic. Perhaps WF should have warned you or asked you which alloy you prefer before the ring was made, but maybe that is not realistic.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Wow - I am learning a lot today - thank you! I wish that I would have known this sooner. My takeaway - always check with the PS community before any purchase! Lol.

Laila619|1458597496|4009106 said:
Just a quick FYI about platinum: 950 platinum itself is not problematic. It depends on what the other 5% (the alloy) is. 950 platinum alloyed with ruthenium is what Tiffany and Leon Mege use. It is very durable and scratch resistant. On the other hand, 950 platinum alloyed with iridium (which is what your ring is) can be very soft and sometimes problematic. Perhaps WF should have warned you or asked you which alloy you prefer before the ring was made, but maybe that is not realistic.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think the 950 platinum with iridium is the most common alloy found in most platinum jewelry, so there would be no reason for WF to discuss that during a purchase. In my experience, I have had to request a different alloy if I didn't want the 950plat/iridium. While not as hard as the others mentioned, it is used a lot, and the biggest problem usually is that it scratches more easily than the others.

Victor and Tiffany's shared prong designs have baskets, and I think that might be a sturdier design along with the stronger platinum alloy.

RockBrat

Shiny_Rock

I think your ring is stunning but there is no way I would pay $325 every single time for that type of maintenance. Many rings from the 50s and even earlier are 950 plat irid and do fine even with their age. After the second time I'd pursue other options. I have never worked with Whiteflash and don't particularly know that much about them but I honestly feel they handled this situation properly and being a neutral person can see how they would feel this was good customer service. However I can also see how you'd be upset. If I had a ring I had sent into the company who made it, for the same repairs several times, I would consider how they handled your situation good customer service. I would want it fixed quickly, and would want priority and would feel that was fair considering this was something we had gone through before. And I would want that company to anticipate that and take care of it. I think the dialogue with them in this situation needed to happen up front along the lines of "hey this has happened a lot, I'm unhappy, what can you do for me as I might need to look somewhere else for a reset" and give them a chance to work it out. I feel without that sort of upfront dialogue, they were doing the right thing to try to expedite and take care of the issue and I feel they should be paid for it.

I hope what I'm saying isn't coming across insensitive, I do see your point, I just feel that there was no way they could've known you would want the ring back unrepaired without that upfront dialogue, which had to start with you as the consumer.

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

bem3231, I totally understand your frustration with the ring needing to be repaired every few years and being upset about the last repair being done without your authorization. But based on my experiences with WF, they will do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. I've worked with Vera several times to sort out such issues and initially did find her responses to be quite "terse". But if you ever get her on the phone though, she is the sweetest person! She just goes through so many emails a day and often just relays over email the exact response the production team gives her. I find that calling WF gets my issues resolved much quicker than over email, which I assume has been the method of communication?

Basically there are 2 issues here. First one being that you have an outstanding charge of $325 for an unauthorized repair. The second being this setting cannot securely hold your stones. The $325 charge is something that I'm sure you can work out with WF. What is your ideal resolution for the second, more important, issue? Is it to have the exact same setting re-made with new materials? Since the original ring was made by WF, I would ask to speak to WF's production team to see what your options are for that, and if switching materials will even solve the problem long term. Based on their response, you can decide on the course of action. I wouldn't send the ring over to VC remake the setting just yet. There's no guarantee that a VC version will be secure either.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

bem3231|1458596600|4009100 said:
Hi Bryan -

Thank you for responding - I appreciate you looking into this further. For the benefit of anyone reading this thread, let me say that, prior to this experience, I have always been very pleased with Whiteflash's work and also the customer service that I have received from the company over many years. I posted this on Pricescope not with an eye to disparaging Whiteflash at all, but rather because I have learned over the years that this forum is a trusted community of very knowledgeable folks whose feedback and opinions I truly appreciate. In this instance I was looking for a barometer as to whether my disappointment was indeed warranted.

It seems from the feedback here that indeed this setting is one that is prone to be problematic in a 950 platinum. That was the type of feedback that I was looking to receive from WF customer service when I expressed my dismay at the service having proceeded without my consent.

Indeed, as per Vera's suggestion I have checked and my Leon Mege and Victor Canera pieces are indeed in 900 platinum, while my Tiffany ring is 950 platinum, but in a bezel setting. I will admit my own ignorance about differences in platinum, however I would have hoped that had this been an incompatible setting for 950 platinum that I would have been advised of this during the design phase.

At any rate, now that the repair has been completed it is not my wish to 'un-repair' the ring, however I do feel that Vera's response to my dismay at how this has proceeded was rather dismissive. I appreciate you looking into this further on my behalf.

Thank you very much.

Texas Leaguer|1458595025|4009089 said:

Hi Bem,

Hi Bem,
Yesterday I thoroughly reviewed your situation and sent you a detailed email discussing a resolution. I have not heard back from you and am concerned that the email may have gone into your spam filter. So, if you see this message please give us a call (and ask for me) so that we can get you squared away. You can also email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Bryan

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Hi Bem! I'm so sorry for all the repairs you have had to go through. May I suggest s whole new setting? My five stone is in a very durable and protective setting, which is quite beautiful too. You will find it in my posts. I have worked out, handled barbells with it, whacked it against metal and it's all safe and secure. Each stone is set in a setting that exceeds the circumference of the stone by just a tiny bit.

So sorry. By now you could have a six stone. :). Good luck on a long term solution.

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Bryan -

I just happen to be traveling at the moment so have not had much chance for computer time. I did receive your email yesterday, and thank you sincerely for your attention to this matter. It says a lot about Whiteflash customer service that you have followed up on this personally. I will touch base with you as soon as I get back home. Thanks again for your willingness to work towards a solution with me - much appreciated! :)

Best,

Barbara

Hi Bem,
Yesterday I thoroughly reviewed your situation and sent you a detailed email discussing a resolution. I have not heard back from you and am concerned that the email may have gone into your spam filter. So, if you see this message please give us a call (and ask for me) so that we can get you squared away. You can also email me at [email protected]
Thanks!
Bryan[/quote]

bem3231

Brilliant_Rock
Re: Upset with WF service on repair - UPDATE

Hi everyone -

I just wanted to pop in with an update - Bryan from Whiteflash contacted me directly upon a full review of my situation and kindly asked me what I thought a fair resolution would be. He subsequently agreed to an outcome that I think is very fair (I am covering shipping costs, and Whiteflash is covering the costs of the unauthorized repair). He also offered some helpful info regarding the setting - it seems that if I want this ring to be as durable as I would wish for a wedding band that I will likely have to reconsider a reset. Within the next ring maintenance time frame my husband and I will be celebrating our 10th anniversary and have been thinking of doing a vow renewal, so I may consider a reset at that time.

Although I had some issues with how Whiteflash addressed my situation initially, I have been very impressed that Bryan has taken the time to fully review my case and deal with me directly in order to come to a resolution. Whiteflash is, indeed, a very customer-service oriented company, and I would not hesitate to deal with them again for future projects.

I also just wanted to thank everyone who took the time to chime in and share their feedback and advice on this thread - it has been very helpful and is most appreciated. I have been reminded of what a very special and knowledgeable community the Pricescope forums represent.

:twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is great news, Bem! I also have great confidence in WF and how they handle errors or other issues. Bryan is a really nice person, too!

I think an anniversary reset sounds like a good idea! I personally really like the low Tiffany basket setting for a 5 stone ring.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

A little confused here......WF did your setting originally. If they did not think that the setting would be durable, then why did they do the job? Now they are recommending a reset for durability? It really does not add up. With those 2 pieces I would ask WF, since they made a mistake in doing the original setting to credit that amount of the setting against the new setting.

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade

I, too, find it wrong that WF charged you over $300 every time their prongs needed to be tightened.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi All,
In light of the follow-up questions, I would like to briefly explain that we do not feel this design has inherent durability issues. However, this trellis style features prongs that are both shared and "tucked in" a bit, which gives the design its unique and delicate look. Over the span of several years it is not totally unexpected that a stone or stones might loosen and require servicing. Unfortunately, the international postage and insurance greatly magnified the cost incurred by the client, and also made the problem much less convenient for her to address. We certainly understand her situation and wanted to resolve it in an equitable manner.

Regarding the issue of unauthorized repairs, our practice is to quote an estimated price range when creating a return authorization. In this way, when a customer sends something for repair they are prepared for an outside cost (unless something unexpected is found in our take-in inspection). In many cases, when there is capacity in our shop, repairs will be fast tracked as soon as they are received if nothing is found that would entail additional costs beyond the range quoted (rather than waiting for payment in full before proceeding). In most cases customers are happy to receive rapid turnaround. In this case, we should have waited for express approval, and we want to be accountable for that.

I also want to make clear that Bem3231 has been entirely reasonable and patient with us during the process. We should have done a better job in communicating, and that is why we credited back the Whiteflash charges for both the stone tightening and a complete refinishing.

In light of her experiences to date, we recommended that she consider taking personal jewelry insurance from a company like Jewelers Mutual. While that would require an annual premium, it would cover repairs and maintenance servicing in the future. It would also provide peace of mind in case of loss or theft.

Moreover, if in the future she would like to replace the style with one that might improve wearability, we will work closely with her to minimize her costs in achieving that goal.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Bryan, I personally would never make an insurance claim for prong tightening or other maintenance. That is just asking for your premiums to go up or to be refused if you try to get a new policy. I would only use the insurance if there was a total loss of the piece of jewelry. I have had one loose prong in 35 years and that was when my e-ring prong caught on something pulling it loose. Fortunately the other three prongs did their job and held the stone in until I noticed it! Even though that setting may not have inherent problems (and I have not heard of others with the same problem), since she has had the issues multiple times, I just would personally cut my losses and buy a new setting.

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade

diamondseeker2006|1459285251|4012684 said:
Bryan, I personally would never make an insurance claim for prong tightening or other maintenance. That is just asking for your premiums to go up or to be refused if you try to get a new policy. I would only use the insurance if there was a total loss of the piece of jewelry. I have had one loose prong in 35 years and that was when my e-ring prong caught on something pulling it loose. Fortunately the other three prongs did their job and held the stone in until I noticed it! Even though that setting may not have inherent problems (and I have not heard of others with the same problem), since she has had the issues multiple times, I just would personally cut my losses and buy a new setting.
DS,
On the issue of insurance, one of the benefits of taking a specialized personal jewelry policy, as opposed to putting jewelry under a broader insurance umbrella such as homeowners, is that making a jewelry claim will not effect the rates on your other coverages or compromise your insurability. Jewelers Mutual recently added a maintenance benefit to their standard coverage. This makes a lot of sense for both the insured and the insurance company. Jewelers like it too! Here is a link with some info about it.

http://www.jewelersmutual.com/JewelersMutual/media/MediaLibrary/Images/eNews/expanded-coverage-faq-onesheet-FA.pdf

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results