shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade Help Please

ionar

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to make a big upgrade (for me!) to the center diamond in my engagement ring. I've currently got a gorgeous .7ct J round in a platinum setting (all James Allen) and am planning on using their upgrade policy to jump to another round at ~1.2 - 1.5ct in a warmer color (K-M).

I have a few parameters, and I'm hoping you all could help me out. The minimum I need to spend is $4400, and my two top priorities for a diamond are cut: as sparkly as possible and color: a warm, buttery color (but not brown). I would also like to increase my finger coverage, and at 4.25, I think something around 1.25 - 1.5ct will fit the bill nicely.

I have a couple of diamonds that I'm eyeing and I'll list the info below--could you tell me if these are good choices based on my need for sparkle & warmth & spread, or if not, could you help suggest better ones? I'm currently filtering my diamond search on JA to include the following criteria: excellent polish & symmetry, GIA lab, depth % 60-62, table % 54-58, cut ideal-true hearts, clarity si1-vvs1, carat 1.1 - 30 (the dream! lol), and color h-m.

Important info: JA does not have ASETs or idealscopes for either of these :(

Diamond 1: 1.38M
Carat: 1.38
Color: M
Clarity: IF
Cut: Excellent
LxWxH: 7.18 x 7.22 x 4.27
Depth: 60.7
Table: 57
Crown: 33
Pavillion: 40.8
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Faint
HCA Score: .8
Comments: Minor details of polish are not shown

Diamond 2: 1.25 K
Carat: 1.25
Color: K
Clarity: VVS2
Cut: Excellent
LxWxH: 6.87 x 6.9 x 4.26
Depth: 61.8
Table: 57
Crown: 35.5
Pavillion: 40.8
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Fluorescence: Strong Blue
HCA Score: 2.5

My gut tells me the 1.38M would sparkle more, but if I input the dimensions into a diamond cut screener, the 1.25 K comes out as being at the intersection of GIA Excellent and AGS Ideal, whereas the M floats just outside the GIA parameter. Also, should the HCA scores influence me? My current J is a .8 (I think!) and it sparkles like crazy.

And for your kind help, here is a photo tax of my J that I love <3
IMG_9687.jpeg
IMG_9705.jpeg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Reject stone 2, as it scores over 2 on the HCA. Stone 1 is potentially problematic with the 33 crown.

I hate searching on ja now because you have to ask them for certs in order to know anything about whether the angles work together. But I do like the ones @SimoneDi posted!

ionar

Rough_Rock
Reject stone 2, as it scores over 2 on the HCA. Stone 1 is potentially problematic with the 33 crown.

I hate searching on ja now because you have to ask them for certs in order to know anything about whether the angles work together. But I do like the ones @SimoneDi posted!

Can I ask why a 33 crown is problematic? I did some googling about it but am still not sure.

ionar

Rough_Rock

Thank you! That I is gorgeous! I am trying to stick as close to $4400 as possible, but should consider going up for the right stone since this is hopefully my last upgrade.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's just outside the recommended ranges and is too shallow, potentially leading to leakage (from my understanding). It won't always be problematic, but without an ASET/IS image to confirm, I wouldn't risk it.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also I would consider looking outside of JA. The 2x the cost upgrade policy is nuts and very restrictive. Are you SURE you'll never want to upgrade again?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! That I is gorgeous! I am trying to stick as close to $4400 as possible, but should consider going up for the right stone since this is hopefully my last upgrade.
Make sure to ask JA for their advantage pricing and then compare cost. IMO the 1.33 K VS2 will definitely be under/around $4.4K with their AP.

ionar

Rough_Rock
Make sure to ask JA for their advantage pricing and then compare cost. IMO the 1.33 K VS2 will definitely be under/around $4.4K with their AP.

Is that like a price match thing? I’ve never heard of it, and I’ve used JA for years.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that like a price match thing? I’ve never heard of it, and I’ve used JA for years.
It sounds not a price match, just ask them for their advantage pricing that’s all.

ionar

Rough_Rock
Also I would consider looking outside of JA. The 2x the cost upgrade policy is nuts and very restrictive. Are you SURE you'll never want to upgrade again?

You make a good point! I’m not SURE about never upgrading again, but I also can’t imagine myself rocking anything larger that 1.5ct.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I much prefer that 1.33 k to the original options!

L

lydial

That is a lovely stone and a nice warm color to boot!

KKJohnson

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I kinda worry that because you want a warm color stone, JA isn’t going to be a good option. When you say a warm buttery I think of even lower color grades such as Ns

TODiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Maybe it's the way JA does their videos... but when I stare at that diamond, the table looks slightly hazy to me. Fluorescence perhaps?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results