shape
carat
color
clarity

Upgrade Again?? Opinions needed!

Sagefemme

Shiny_Rock
Speaking of twinning wisps, I had a CBI stone (I think it was SI2) where the inclusions were mainly twinning wisps. The plot drawing of the wisps looked scary (they went everywhere) but in person I had to look carefully with a loupe to see them. I could barely, barely, barely see one of them with the naked eye, and if you didn't know it was there.......FWIW.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of twinning wisps, I had a CBI stone (I think it was SI2) where the inclusions were mainly twinning wisps. The plot drawing of the wisps looked scary (they went everywhere) but in person I had to look carefully with a loupe to see them. I could barely, barely, barely see one of them with the naked eye, and if you didn't know it was there.......FWIW.
Thanks for letting me know! I really think that I will need to see the stone in person and ideally compare the two diamonds in order to make up my mind :)

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I always upgrade go for size too, and upgraded my OEC a few times before FINALLY settling on my current one, so my vote says go for it, as long as: the stone is eye clean, and it's as well cut as your current diamond (b/c it's gorgeous!). I'm always living a life of FOMO (fear of missing out), and so if it were me, I'd always wonder "what if" about not upgrading. So if you can, why not? (Especially if you've got a supportive husband to boot!)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_2139.JPG I tried your magic trick. That is brilliant.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely look at the larger diamond. As for the side stones and fluorescent center diamond BGD has blue smaller diamonds so Hopefully they can find them in the size you want for side stones if you do end up wanting a 3 stone ring. I agree the strong blue diamonds do look different next to other diamonds.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I always upgrade go for size too, and upgraded my OEC a few times before FINALLY settling on my current one, so my vote says go for it, as long as: the stone is eye clean, and it's as well cut as your current diamond (b/c it's gorgeous!). I'm always living a life of FOMO (fear of missing out), and so if it were me, I'd always wonder "what if" about not upgrading. So if you can, why not? (Especially if you've got a supportive husband to boot!)
It is good to know I am not the only one with multiple "upgrades"! I also love your beautiful OEC!
It is funny that we share the same FOMO mantra :lol: Honestly, I feel like I spend 1/2 of my life thinking "what if" - lol, not a good motto to live by :lol-2: I really felt/feel a bit guilty for wanting to upgrade so soon after, but this stone just showed up and I feel like I need to explore :))

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would definitely look at the larger diamond. As for the side stones and fluorescent center diamond BGD has blue smaller diamonds so Hopefully they can find them in the size you want for side stones if you do end up wanting a 3 stone ring. I agree the strong blue diamonds do look different next to other diamonds.
Marcy, I am so glad that the little tape trick worked for you :lol:
As to the flourescense sides - I don't think that BGD will have anything similar in stock any time soon as I need them to be smaller than 0.4ct and they rarely get 40pts even :( It is either going to be a "blue" solitaire or an upgrade + side stones.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take the 2.13ct if eye clean!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can do it now, I'd definitely upgrade to the 2.13 stone if it's truly eye clean. You don't know where prices will be in a couple of years and at that time there might not be a unicorn stone waiting for you so it could require a lot more $ to upgrade. You loved your previous SI2 stone so it seems you have don't need 'mind clean' but you could always upgrade the clarity down the line if you start to want that. I'm glad you're going to check it out in person! Can't wait to see what you think!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you can do it now, I'd definitely upgrade to the 2.13 stone if it's truly eye clean. You don't know where prices will be in a couple of years and at that time there might not be a unicorn stone waiting for you so it could require a lot more $ to upgrade. You loved your previous SI2 stone so it seems you have don't need 'mind clean' but you could always upgrade the clarity down the line if you start to want that. I'm glad you're going to check it out in person! Can't wait to see what you think!!

Thanks for the advise ac117! I think that is how I feel about this potential upgrade - get it now to avoid any future disappointment :) to me "mind clean" = "eye clean". I can see the inclusion in my current VS2 stone despite being "eye clean" most of the time and that bothers me more because I am paying for a VS2 clarity that to me is no better than an SI2. That said, the current stone is still beautiful, I just think I want bigger (lol) and a non-solitaire :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll take the 2.13ct if eye clean!
Thanks DF! I am waiting on some pics and further info. Will be back with some photos when I have them!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Wink :wavey: Thanks for stopping by!

You caught me - I am a magician :twisted: jk, I am not unfortunately :lol:

Alright, here is my tutorial illustrating "How to take a diamond selfie when your diamond is not set":

1. For the purpose, you will need some tape - the brand is not important, but I prefer Scotch magic greener tape as I like to be environmentally cautious whenever possible ;-) You also need some scissors; for this exercise, I used my KitchenAid kitchen scissors.
IMG_5063.JPG

2. Using the scissors, cut a thin piece of tape. Ideally, it should be as thin as you want your future ring to sit high (ex.4-5mm)
IMG_5064.JPG

3. Next, roll the thin piece of tape into a small cylinder.
IMG_5065.JPG

4. Final step - place the diamond on top of the cylinder and try to take the best H&A pics possible with your phone camera :D
IMG_5067.JPG

5. The end

I hope you all enjoyed this super useful, how to kill your free time, tutorial and you find it helpful in the future. For any other "hacks" in life, I am your gal, just ping me and I will share my tips :lol:

Now, back to the actual topic - thank you for your vendor recommendation. I shall think about it further.
I must also mention that I happened to be browsing CBIs inventory and stumbled upon a video that you created of a 2ct + I, SI2 stone with twinning wisps and of course the diamond was magnificent, so I am definitely less afraid of the inclusions at this point. Thanks!

LOL, always glad to be of service, and I think your how to was way more elegant than beeswax.

As for your fear of inclusions. So long as you can see and return, what is to fear? It really is all about the cutting. It is the ONLY quality issue as far as I am concerned. The other 3 Cs are rarity issues, and often invisible to the human eye, just not to your pocketbook.

Wink

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL, always glad to be of service, and I think your how to was way more elegant than beeswax.

As for your fear of inclusions. So long as you can see and return, what is to fear? It really is all about the cutting. It is the ONLY quality issue as far as I am concerned. The other 3 Cs are rarity issues, and often invisible to the human eye, just not to your pocketbook.

Wink

Ha! Thanks Wink! Elegance is my motto in life :lol-2:

Appreciate your feedback on the 3Cs.. I have certainly started appreciating diamonds of all colors and all (most) clarity grades, so to me it is really about finding a balance that works for me and my wallet and I even think I might have found it!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
All,

I wanted to share with you a couple of pics of the two stone before I ship one of them back!

Presented are 1.83 J VS2 and 2.13 I SI2:

IMG_5386.JPG

IMG_5422.JPG

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5382.JPG

IMG_5445.JPG

Any feedback is appreciated, but I think I already know where my heart is :kiss:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there are inclusions in the 2.13 not visible in these pictures, I'm going with the I 2.13!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Unless there are inclusions in the 2.13 not visible in these pictures, I'm going with the I 2.13!!

Thank you MGR! That SI2 is super eye-clean! I have some sharp eyes (for now:))) and I can see some clear inclusions if I really stare into the stone from an inch distance :lol: but overall, I would call it eye-clean!
I think that is the one I will keep! As much as I like fluoro, I really think that I prefer the consistent look of stones without flourescense in all types of lightning conditions.

A question for you? Are you happy with the side-stone proportions of your three stone ring? Your ring has been one of my inspirations, but after comparing some side-stone proportions, I am really not sure if I should go with even smaller sides:confused: Having a 2ct stone is a dream and I guess I just want to make sure that it stands out. :))

Edit to add some comparison photos (please ignore puffy hands and all, they are still not used to summer temps:) )
32pt sides
IMG_5391.JPG
23pt sides
IMG_5394.JPG

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you MGR! That SI2 is super eye-clean! I have some sharp eyes (for now:))) and I can see some clear inclusions if I really stare into the stone from an inch distance :lol: but overall, I would call it eye-clean!
I think that is the one I will keep! As much as I like fluoro, I really think that I prefer the consistent look of stones without flourescense in all types of lightning conditions.

A question for you? Are you happy with the side-stone proportions of your three stone ring? Your ring has been one of my inspirations, but after comparing some side-stone proportions, I am really not sure if I should go with even smaller sides:confused: Having a 2ct stone is a dream and I guess I just want to make sure that it stands out. :))

I am not a true fluorescence fan and that may be one of the main reasons although I never thought of it quite that way. I think you may have nailed one of the main reasons for my feeling on it though.

My stone is 2.19 and the side stones are .33 each. I do like the proportions and consider the side stones as accent stones more than a traditional ratio of the three stone rings. There are many beautiful combinations but I much prefer smaller side stones for myself. I want the center stone to be the star!

Congrats on your new stone - the size difference is certainly appreciable over the other stone and I'm sure you will love it!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not a true fluorescence fan and that may be one of the main reasons although I never thought of it quite that way. I think you may have nailed one of the main reasons for my feeling on it though.

My stone is 2.19 and the side stones are .33 each. I do like the proportions and consider the side stones as accent stones more than a traditional ratio of the three stone rings. There are many beautiful combinations but I much prefer smaller side stones for myself. I want the center stone to be the star!

Congrats on your new stone - the size difference is certainly appreciable over the other stone and I'm sure you will love it!

Thanks again MGR! I think that flourescense is ok when the stone is set as a solitaire, because any color differences won't be noticeable, but I am really not a fan of having a fluorescent center in a three stone ring. Many of my friends have fluorescent stones that I love, but most of them are medium-blue, which I find to perform differently than strong blue.

I agree with you regarding having the side stones be more of accent stones vs. true three stones! I am still thinking on the best ratio for me.. I posted some comparisons pics in my earlier comment. If you can take a peek, I would appreciate your feedback on preference :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks again MGR! I think that flourescense is ok when the stone is set as a solitaire, because any color differences won't be noticeable, but I am really not a fan of having a fluorescent center in a three stone ring. Many of my friends have fluorescent stones that I love, but most of them are medium-blue, which I find to perform differently than strong blue.

I agree with you regarding having the side stones be more of accent stones vs. true three stones! I am still thinking on the best ratio for me.. I posted some comparisons pics in my earlier comment. If you can take a peek, I would appreciate your feedback on preference :)

I like the stones as pictured! Course I would because that is the ratio that I prefer. I love a beautiful solitaire but somehow I just don't think they look balanced or something on my hand. The small side stones add a bit of interest and extend the solitaire look to cover more of the finger - if that makes sense. It just creates a wider look and seems to look more balanced on my finger. You could of course go a bit larger with side stones if you are looking for a bigger look with more 'umph'. You are handy with scissors and tape - lol! - so you could always cut out larger ones to lay with the center stone and see what you think!

JDDN

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am loving the 2.13, it's stunning! My old eyes have begun to have a hard time with fine detail so as long as there's no durability risk (or haziness), an SI2 is an awesome value.

To me, the 23 pt side stones make your center stone pop more than the 32 pt side stones. The 32 point stones give a bigger overall look diamond-wise. I guess it depends on what "look" you're after :)). Both are very pretty!

GearGirly

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The unicorn stone is great, I am a huge flouro fan but I totally get trading for this one!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE the 2.13!!! :love::love::love: I would not hesitate to keep that stone. I also prefer the smaller sidestones since it really lets your center be the star!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:razz:
I like the stones as pictured! Course I would because that is the ratio that I prefer. I love a beautiful solitaire but somehow I just don't think they look balanced or something on my hand. The small side stones add a bit of interest and extend the solitaire look to cover more of the finger - if that makes sense. It just creates a wider look and seems to look more balanced on my finger. You could of course go a bit larger with side stones if you are looking for a bigger look with more 'umph'. You are handy with scissors and tape - lol! - so you could always cut out larger ones to lay with the center stone and see what you think!

Thanks MGR! Yes, I am really loving he small side stones (at least for now!). Initially my plan was to go with the Tiffany ratio 1:2, then 1:3..and now I am looking at 1:6 or 1:9 :lol-2: I think I was always go larger on the sides eventually, but for now I will probably pick one of the smaller pairs :) I will post my ring design in the next couple of weeks :)

I am loving the 2.13, it's stunning! My old eyes have begun to have a hard time with fine detail so as long as there's no durability risk (or haziness), an SI2 is an awesome value.
To me, the 23 pt side stones make your center stone pop more than the 32 pt side stones. The 32 point stones give a bigger overall look diamond-wise. I guess it depends on what "look" you're after :)). Both are very pretty!

Thank you JDDN! I am also loving the stone, although, I have only taken it out of its little box a couple of times to play :)) I am leaning toward the 2.13 at this time. Plus, I love the number 13, so I feel that it's meant to be :lol:

I think I am also going to pick the 23pt for side stones. I will miss a bit on finger coverage, but I love how the center stone really pops. I want it to be noticed! :D

The unicorn stone is great, I am a huge flouro fan but I totally get trading for this one!

Thank you GearGirly! I think it is hard to say "no" to a super ideal 2ct (eyeclesn) stone within budget!

LOVE the 2.13!!! :love::love::love: I would not hesitate to keep that stone. I also prefer the smaller sidestones since it really lets your center be the star!

Thanks ac117! I really appreciated your feedback the first time around when I traded my cushion, so I am glad that you support this upgrade (3 seconds after the last one :lol:) I really didn't hunk that I will like the smallest side stones, but I think that I really prefer them now. I almost feel that they enhance the center vs compete with it. Agreed?

My answer is neither. I think they have the perfect stone which increases size, color, and clarity and still has some fluoro!:

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.903-i-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104084591005

Oops, I see your last comment was June 10th, so you may have already made your trade!

Hi DS! Thanks for the feedback. Why neither? Just because of the clarity? I actually looked at that 1.9 I VS2, but I wanted to stay away from flourescense as I find that fluorescent stones perform really differently next to non-fluoro stones in certain lighting conditions. If I didn't want a three stone, I wouldn't mind fluoro. Also, maybe faint fluoro will be an exception.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have had this thread opened yesterday and then didn't see all the new posts before actually posting! I said neither because I like I color better than J and I like clarity higher than SI2. But if the clarity doesn't bother you or hurt light return, that is totally your preference, of course! I don't think medium fluorescence makes all that much difference, but BG should be able to source med fl sides if someone wanted them. Anyway, the new stone is very pretty and I look forward to seeing how you set it!!!! I have considered little side stones for mine, but I haven't ever felt sure of size! I know I can't do a true 3 stone because I don't want to overdo the bling factor.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must have had this thread opened yesterday and then didn't see all the new posts before actually posting! I said neither because I like I color better than J and I like clarity higher than SI2. But if the clarity doesn't bother you or hurt light return, that is totally your preference, of course! I don't think medium fluorescence makes all that much difference, but BG should be able to source med fl sides if someone wanted them. Anyway, the new stone is very pretty and I look forward to seeing how you set it!!!! I have considered little side stones for mine, but I haven't ever felt sure of size! I know I can't do a true 3 stone because I don't want to overdo the bling factor.

Thanks for clarifying DS! Regarding clarity, to be honest the table inclusion in the 1.83 J VS2 bothers me more than the inclusions in the SI2. Perhaps, because majority of them are clear, so it is more difficult to spot them and also perhaps because I already owned an SI2 that I learned to love. If money was no object, I would love to go even higher on both - color & clarity, but for now something has to give and I think that that something for me is clarity :) I asked about possible small side stone with florescence, but I finding something in the 20-30pt range is ultra challenging, the smallest they have gotten are 40pts. In regards to the three stone..after having a solitaire for about a year, I realized that I miss the horizontal coverage that my original engagement ring gave me and I happen to really fall in love with three stone rings! I think that I have browsed every single thread on PS with a mention of three stones :lol-2: I am working with CvB on this project (she is kinda amazing, as you already know!), so I am really excited to share! The ring is still in its design phase, so stay tuned! :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my inspiration setting for sizes. 3stonetinysides1.jpg 3stonetinysides2.jpg 3stonetinysides3.jpg . The center is about 8mm and I think the sides are under .20 each.
OMG! So, I saw the first photo online some time ago and that is actually one of the pictures I emailed Caysie with! My proportions are obviously a little bit different and the design is different, but I have started to really enjoy these small accent stones. I think that you should totally go for it! Your AVR will look marvelous in a similar design!! Do you think that GOG can source you some tiny AVRs? I already can't wait to see what you decide to do, but feel free to observe how my experiment goes first :mrgreen:

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks ac117! I really appreciated your feedback the first time around when I traded my cushion, so I am glad that you support this upgrade (3 seconds after the last one :lol:) I really didn't hunk that I will like the smallest side stones, but I think that I really prefer them now. I almost feel that they enhance the center vs compete with it. Agreed?

Totally agreed!!! I want to adopt your upgrade timeline!! :lol::lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Totally agreed!!! I want to adopt your upgrade timeline!! :lol::lol:

LOL - Yeah, talk to my husband about the upgrade timeline, I bet he will tell you it's been a blast for him :lol: Hopefully, this is the last one for a while.The ladies at BGD must be seriously getting tired of me at this point :lol-2: Thank you for approving the side stone proportions. I shall be mailing back most diamonds this week and keeping only the final 3!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results