carat
color
clarity

Upgrade Again?? Opinions needed!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi guys.. me again :))

Alrighty, here is the story - I upgraded to a BGD Blue 1.83 J VS2 about 2 months ago and due to travel + my indecisiveness regarding how I want to set the stone, I have had it loose for the entire time. I finally *thought* that I settled on a three stone design when I noticed that my blue stone performs really differently next to non-fluoro side stones and desided that it will bother me. I also can't find fluorescent ideal cut stones in the size that I want, so that doesn't seem like an option.

However, I did see that BGD has a new (larger!) stone in their inventory and I started wondering if I should upgrade (6k difference) :?:

I am a bit undesired and I don't have much time to make up my mind, so I am really just looking for recommendations/opinions. What would you do? Do you think that the difference worth it? Should I just wait or go for it?

My current stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.830-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104092069003 (yes, there is a table inclusion, but it is eye-clean)

Possible upgrade: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ls/2.130-i-si2-round-diamond-ags-104093633003 (SI2 - I know! I have had an SI2 from BGD before that was amazingly eye-clean, but I am really not sure about this one and the additional clarity comments on the report. What are your thoughts?)

Here are a few pics of the current stone:

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

Thanks All!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oooohhhh.... get the bigger one! (says the size whore) :razz:

LOL :lol-2: msop04, you went from a J to an I, did you notice a big difference in color? This particular J has flouro, so it does face up pretty white ..:confused:

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL :lol-2: msop04, you went from a J to an I, did you notice a big difference in color? This particular J has flouro, so it does face up pretty white ..:confused:

I actually noticed a big change, but I do feel that my new I is a "high I" and my J was a "true J". Also, the I has a bit of fluoro, while the J had none.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, my new stone has a much better cut, so I'm sure that helps! ;-)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually noticed a big change, but I do feel that my new I is a "high I" and my J was a "true J". Also, the I has a bit of fluoro, while the J had none.

Also, my new stone has a much better cut, so I'm sure that helps! ;-)

Thank you for letting me know! The cut of these two is identical and the J with flouro definitely faces up whiter than my old J (again BGD). Honestly, I am not sure if I want to spend the $$ now, considering that I haven't even enjoyed the existing stone. But then again, bigger is bigger and I know that I would love to get to 2ct+ :kiss:..decisions, decisions and I really need to make up my mind today..:sick:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can definitely notice the twinning wisps in the magnified image at first glance. But in the eye clean image it's hard to notice. You could ask Lesley or one of other guys at BGD to pull the stone and check for eye clean in person.

But I'd personally still stick with the BG Blue you currently have. Cuz I'm a fluor whore! :lol:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can definitely notice the twinning wisps in the magnified image at first glance. But in the eye clean image it's hard to notice. You could ask Lesley or one of other guys at BGD to pull the stone and check for eye clean in person.

But I'd personally still stick with the BG Blue you currently have. Cuz I'm a fluor whore! :lol:

lol, thanks for sharing your opinion, glad to get one vote for the Blue :D

ajunes16

Rough_Rock
Premium
Hi SimoneDi! I previously owned an ACA 2.35 J VS2 and it was a true J, so it definitely had warmth. I loved it but the color started to bother me. I recently upgraded to a 2.97 I VS1 ACA and the color is white and bright to me. I don't see the warmth that I use to see on my previous J. I say go for the upgrade if it truly is eye clean!!!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi SimoneDi! I previously owned an ACA 2.35 J VS2 and it was a true J, so it definitely had warmth. I loved it but the color started to bother me. I recently upgraded to a 2.97 I VS1 ACA and the color is white and bright to me. I don't see the warmth that I use to see on my previous J. I say go for the upgrade if it truly is eye clean!!!!

Thank you for letting me know and congrats on your upgrade! I do know that the J that I have is definitely a "higher" J and I am comparing it to my previous one. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade due to the inclusions, but then again, that provides nice savings. I see that both of your stones were pretty balanced with VS1 & VS2..I am still thinking, but I may hold off on the upgrade..:think:

Last edited:

gm89uk

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you for letting me know and congrats on your upgrade! I do know that the J that I have is definitely a "higher" J and I am comparing it to my previous one. I am a bit reluctant to upgrade due to the inclusions, but then again, that provides nice savings. I see that both of your stones were pretty balanced with VS1 & VS2..I am still thinking, but I may hold off on the upgrade..:think:

On the flip side it would be far more than $6k more for a vs1 and vs2, and this is about as good as you're going to get for an SI2 stone! It gets comfortably above the 2CT mark. There isn't fluor that can cause haziness with twinning wisps. The black arrows contrast against the twinning twisps but this won't happen in real life as the arrows will be mostly light coloured. As a bonus it's a colour up.

If I was in your shoes this is a unicorn diamond

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the flip side it would be far more than $6k more for a vs1 and vs2, and this is about as good as you're going to get for an SI2 stone! It gets comfortably above the 2CT mark. There isn't fluor that can cause haziness with twinning wisps. The black arrows contrast against the twinning twisps but this won't happen in real life as the arrows will be mostly light coloured. As a bonus it's a colour up.

If I was in your shoes this is a unicorn diamond

Thanks you for your further comment, gm89uk! Lol "unicorn diamond" :lol: I have been lucky enough to own a couple of those "unicorn" stones! As earlier mentioned, my prior stone was SI2 and I had zero issues with the clarity. I think I am a bit skeptical of some of the other comments on the report - additional twinning wisps, surface graininess, etc. I would hate it if that can cause any haziness, but then again, it is BGD, so it shouldn't..

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This s a tough call. I would question them about the clarity but if they felt that it was truly eye clean that would be a plus. I personally am not a fluor lover and we all know that it doesn't help in all lighting situations. There are many folks here with I color stones that are totally happy with them. The size difference is significant so if I was thinking of upgrading, I would do it before I made a three stone ring.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This s a tough call. I would question them about the clarity but if they felt that it was truly eye clean that would be a plus. I personally am not a fluor lover and we all know that it doesn't help in all lighting situations. There are many folks here with I color stones that are totally happy with them. The size difference is significant so if I was thinking of upgrading, I would do it before I made a three stone ring.
MGR thanks for your feedback! Your ring is actually one of my inspirations and your new diamond is TDF! This is a tough call for me.. fund are not unlimited, I am very fortunate to have a patient husband, who has been cool with me "upgrading" for the past 2 years (aka since my original engagement ring was stolen :cry:) In an ideal world, I know what I would have - an H VS1 2ct+, but that is not in the cards right now. I, for one, like fluorescence, but I agree with you that it doesn't help in all lightning situations and I find it only suitable for solitaires and I am not sure if I am a solitaire girl...meh..I am still thinking and evaluating my options.

Last edited:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, this is not a great thought process, but I always wonder - what would be more valuable on the secondary market - a 1.83 J VS2 Blue or a 2.13 I SI2 (presumably eye-clean). Thoughts anyone?

tkyasx78

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I dont know which would have better value on the secondary market, but I think you have great taste in diamonds!
Id get the bigger one if that matters lol.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that you should have the I SI2 sent to you so that you can compare it with the J with your own eyes.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that you should have the I SI2 sent to you so that you can compare it with the J with your own eyes.

This is the best idea. You really have to see for yourself.

(I have a 2.1ct AGS D SI1 stone and the inclusions are simply not visible without a loupe, even to my daughter with her eagle eyes. So I wouldn't necessarily stress over an SI2)

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi guys.. me again :))

Alrighty, here is the story - I upgraded to a BGD Blue 1.83 J VS2 about 2 months ago and due to travel + my indecisiveness regarding how I want to set the stone, I have had it loose for the entire time. I finally *thought* that I settled on a three stone design when I noticed that my blue stone performs really differently next to non-fluoro side stones and desided that it will bother me. I also can't find fluorescent ideal cut stones in the size that I want, so that doesn't seem like an option.

However, I did see that BGD has a new (larger!) stone in their inventory and I started wondering if I should upgrade (6k difference) :?:

I am a bit undesired and I don't have much time to make up my mind, so I am really just looking for recommendations/opinions. What would you do? Do you think that the difference worth it? Should I just wait or go for it?

My current stone: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...1.830-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104092069003 (yes, there is a table inclusion, but it is eye-clean)

Possible upgrade: http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/d...ls/2.130-i-si2-round-diamond-ags-104093633003 (SI2 - I know! I have had an SI2 from BGD before that was amazingly eye-clean, but I am really not sure about this one and the additional clarity comments on the report. What are your thoughts?)

Here are a few pics of the current stone:

IMG_4679.JPG

IMG_4680.JPG

IMG_5048.JPG

IMG_5050.JPG

Thanks All!

As a vendor I can not make comments about particular stones, but as no one else has asked, I feel compelled to ask.

HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT DIAMOND TO STAND STRAIGHT UP ON YOUR FINGER?

Did you take two pictures and composite the diamond above your finger? Did you put a touch of beeswax on the culet and shape it to balance on your finger? Are you simply magic?

That is a delicious picture and I am flummoxed as to how you might have done it.

Wink

P.S. I do have one recommendation as a vendor. To paraphrase the old political saying, Upgrade early and upgrade often!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion PintoBean! Funny enough, I actually called BGD last night and asked them if we can do that. I think I will aim to get the stone next week and I shall post comparison pics!

P.S. I lurve all of your amazing bling!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the best idea. You really have to see for yourself.

(I have a 2.1ct AGS D SI1 stone and the inclusions are simply not visible without a loupe, even to my daughter with her eagle eyes. So I wouldn't necessarily stress over an SI2)

2.1 AGD D :kiss: sounds amazing! Thank you for sharing your experience! That is really good to know. I am usually not afraid of inclusions, but these in particular scare me a wee-bit. I hunk I need to see it in person to be able to evaluate it fully.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for the suggestion PintoBean! Funny enough, I actually called BGD last night and asked them if we can do that. I think I will aim to get the stone next week and I shall post comparison pics!

P.S. I lurve all of your amazing bling!

I think this is fabulous! Can't wait to see what you think - excited for you!!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think this is fabulous! Can't wait to see what you think - excited for you!!

Thanks MGR! I am excited, too! And I really hope I can soon end this "upgrade every 2-3months" thing that I have been doing :lol:

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks MGR! I am excited, too! And I really hope I can soon end this "upgrade every 2-3months" thing that I have been doing :lol:
I think you will definitely like the new size and color!
I laughed when I read this bc I am feeling like this too!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As a vendor I can not make comments about particular stones, but as no one else has asked, I feel compelled to ask.

HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU GET THAT DIAMOND TO STAND STRAIGHT UP ON YOUR FINGER?

Did you take two pictures and composite the diamond above your finger? Did you put a touch of beeswax on the culet and shape it to balance on your finger? Are you simply magic?

That is a delicious picture and I am flummoxed as to how you might have done it.

Wink

P.S. I do have one recommendation as a vendor. To paraphrase the old political saying, Upgrade early and upgrade often!

Hi Wink :wavey: Thanks for stopping by!

You caught me - I am a magician :twisted: jk, I am not unfortunately :lol:

Alright, here is my tutorial illustrating "How to take a diamond selfie when your diamond is not set":

1. For the purpose, you will need some tape - the brand is not important, but I prefer Scotch magic greener tape as I like to be environmentally cautious whenever possible ;-) You also need some scissors; for this exercise, I used my KitchenAid kitchen scissors.
IMG_5063.JPG

2. Using the scissors, cut a thin piece of tape. Ideally, it should be as thin as you want your future ring to sit high (ex.4-5mm)
IMG_5064.JPG

3. Next, roll the thin piece of tape into a small cylinder.
IMG_5065.JPG

4. Final step - place the diamond on top of the cylinder and try to take the best H&A pics possible with your phone camera :D
IMG_5067.JPG

5. The end

I hope you all enjoyed this super useful, how to kill your free time, tutorial and you find it helpful in the future. For any other "hacks" in life, I am your gal, just ping me and I will share my tips :lol:

Now, back to the actual topic - thank you for your vendor recommendation. I shall think about it further.
I must also mention that I happened to be browsing CBIs inventory and stumbled upon a video that you created of a 2ct + I, SI2 stone with twinning wisps and of course the diamond was magnificent, so I am definitely less afraid of the inclusions at this point. Thanks!

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you will definitely like the new size and color!
I laughed when I read this bc I am feeling like this too!

Haha - thanks, Kayla! Definitely the same boat, only that yours is like a carat larger :lol: In all honestly though - I though of you and your journey when I started thinking about yet another upgrade and the possible color change from J to I. I am happy that you found your color, I hope that the right diamond shows up for you soon! :))

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont know which would have better value on the secondary market, but I think you have great taste in diamonds!
Id get the bigger one if that matters lol.

Thank you, you are too kind! PS is guilty for the want to always go "bigger" :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results