shape
carat
color
clarity

Unveiling my 35th anniversary upgrade--courtesy of HPD

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Some would say that HPD is a brick and mortar store in Idaho that has an online presence and sells settings and diamonds and assorted jewelry. They accept credit cards and give a nice discount for payment by wire transfer. Their associates are pleasant and professional and their diamonds are top notch.

Others would say that HPD is a roaring genie in a bottle, escaping to grant wishes, fulfill dreams and satisfy heart’s desires.

Here’s my story. You decide.

In the movie When Harry Met Sally, you all who have seen it will immediately think of that iconic scene as one of the diner patron exclaims:

“I want what she’s having!”

I was reading all those glowing review of HPD on pricescope and I said:

Well you know what I said!

I want what they all had!

A red carpet experience…

Not a sales push but a collaborative experience…

Long term satisfaction for months and years after your purchase….

Employees trained to listen when you ramble on and on …. then use what they learn to make suggestions you couldn’t even dream of coming up with …

Where the journey is just as amazing as the final product….

My only problem was yeah right, my expectations are through the roof after reading many of these reviews. There is no way they can come close to meeting expectations. And I hate being disappointed. But you know meeting even 50% would be something…..

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Now I must say I had the pleasure of speaking with Wink by telephone several times during my project, and I can say he is exactly as advertised. With a personality bigger than life, he is honest, transparent, caring, committed to excellence and proud of what he provides his customers. He constantly uses superlatives to describe how you will feel about the item that is being uniquely crafted for you. He seems crazy confident that he will meet the outlandish, outrageous expectations he is encouraging you to have. I have frankly never experienced this before with any business that I have worked with. I am a bit at a loss to describe in words what exactly I experienced.

Wink clearly sets the tone for how everyone in his company conducts themselves. And even though he is encouraging you to dream big, you start to want to believe that he will succeed in surpassing expectations. At least you hope.

Ok, back to the story…

Well, I had many decisions to make about my upgraded wedding set. Size of diamond, style of setting, color grade of diamond, type of wedding band, metal etc. It was confusing and I floundered at times. I was at times fearful of making the wrong decision.

I had no choice to make about the vendor. HPD all the way and from the start.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Reaching out to HPD

Ok. I’m ready. Or as ready as I’ll ever be. I shipped an email off to HPD and explained what I was looking for. And oh by the way I had a non certified diamond that had been recut by BGD 4 years ago. Can I trade that in for a CBI diamond? I figured I’d be laughed at or told absolutely not! But hey it doesn’t hurt to ask.

Although my husband suggested I fly out to Idaho and meet the staff directly, and I guess get comfortable with my decision to go with them, I said no. I really liked the idea of just sending an email to their general email box and seeing how they respond. It was the only chance I had to test this legendary customer service. I have done this with other vendors in the past and had sometimes been ignored. That first interaction is very important to me.

So I posted my first email. Several hours later, I received a response from Layla at HPD. She had quite a few questions for me, and I answered her questions as best I could. She then asked to speak with me by phone to explain the whole process of custom cutting a diamond and see if I had any other questions.

Layla didn’t laugh at my request to trade in a non CBI noncertified diamond but told me she needed to research the matter further before she could give me an answer.

I understood a little about the custom CTO (cut to order) process but I learned a lot more:

The CTO diamond is nonrefundable but is upgradeable for another diamond or diamonds that total up to $1 more in cost (the upgrade can be for another CTO diamond or diamonds),

There is no extra charge for custom cutting,

I determine the color and clarity and size I want,

Even when they find a crystal I can say no to it if I determine it’s not what I want and they will continue searching.

I knew that CBIs were cut to very tight standards, and seriously the people at CBI seemed a lot fussier than I! So I’m in.

Layla sent me to an appraiser’s office local to me and had me evaluate 2 CBI diamonds: a JVS1 and an HVS2. I appreciated the opportunity to see some CBIs in person and get the opportunity to evaluate color and cut.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
After looking at the CBI stones I determined I wanted them to search for a crystal:

G or H color

VS or SI

3 carats and slightly higher

I felt H color would be plenty fine for me, but as I wanted to get close to colorless I added G to the search.

They actually found my crystal less than 24 hours after submitting the search request. The feedback on the crystal was very positive and it was my dream color and clarity GVS2. So I gave it a YES! (Well, honestly I would have liked a VS1 but it was cost prohibitive in my size and color parameters.)

Now on to settings. The initial setting, I picked was very pretty but I learned it was a best seller, and those don’t tend to appeal to me. I like classic but a little edgy and different. One of the settings Layla sent to me was earrings they had done for another client and they felt this design would make a special ring. I like special, and I liked the earrings and I liked being the first to get to do this, so I’m ok, let’s do it.

The wedding band took a little more work. What I loved is that I told Layla what I didn’t want, and she showed it to me anyway and I fell in love with it, so that’s the one I selected. You can see I may have not been the easiest to work with! Anyway the band had an essence of royalty and crown—I wore a crown on my wedding day—please don’t judge! So when I saw that band, there was no question—that was it!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Now Layla told me early on she would not give me her opinion or offer advice unless I asked for it. I found I trusted her instincts and I did ask her for advice. There is just no way I would have ended up with the engagement ring and wedding band I chose without her help.

Layla was part jewelry superhero, counselor, mentor, mind reader and cheerleader. She kept me on track and focused. And when I decided recently to attend the GTG at HPD, she and Wink were determined that I have my new wedding set for that event. I felt like a celebrity in this project, my wants and desires seemed to be constantly catered to. How will I ever go back to real life?! Before my engagement ring went into production, Layla suggested and I approved a tweak to the design that would improve on how the ring would sit on my hand. She was just always thinking and working!

Now you know I must have had some complaint about HPD. My only complaint about HPD is that when they get an idea in their head about how to make your experience with them even better, they just go ahead and do it. I found myself wanting to tell them Hey don’t work so hard, I’m happy to go to the GTG and oh and ah over other’s jewels. I don’t need my rings by then.

Why bother bringing it up? They weren’t going to stop trying. They get so singularly focused when they are working at exceeding expectations, they are just not going to listen. It’s quite something to see!

During the whole process of selecting and creating my new wedding set, I never felt like I lost control of decisions, that Layla was making decisions and I was affirming them. She wanted me to make the choices but gave advice when asked and always left the final choice to me.

It became apparent to me that Layla spent time figuring out the best way to work with and communicate with me. I felt in sync with her early on which I know helped move my project along quickly. The one thing I was never able to tell Layla that really sums up how I feel about our working relationship is this:

Thank you for taking such good care of me!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
So there you have it. My experience with HPD. I was woefully unprepared for a custom project; I just frankly didn’t have the knowledge and vision to get it right. I really can’t read CAD’s, I can’t picture something unless I see it and I’m not always sure how different rings will work together. But you know in the end none of my weaknesses mattered. I had Layla. She made everything seem so effortless and made her job seem so effortless, and what I have learned in life is that making things LOOK effortless is anything but.

I look back and I think how could I end up with exactly what I wanted when I didn’t even know what that was going in? No inspiration photos, no specific descriptions, I mean I didn’t even think about tab vs claw prongs. Cathedral vs donut. Low set, medium set, high set. And I thought I was prepared for this project? I’m not sure what happened. I mean I lived through it, shouldn’t I be able to describe it? I look down at my hand and I think, how and when did this come about? And all I see is perfection. At the end I sent Wink an email asking him, “Aren’t my rings glorious?” Who talks like that (other than Wink)?

Ok, you remember I needed to be a bit cautious at the beginning of this project because I really was skeptical of all those 5 star reviews. Honestly, how could HPD possibly live up to all that hype?

Now my journey is nearly completed and I wonder how those same reviews really don’t do justice to the HPD experience.

Yes, you have all been so patiently waiting for pictures, haven’t you? Well, here they are….

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Ok--here we go.

My custom cut to order CBI 3.13 G VS1

Yeah I paid for a guaranteed 3.1 G VS2. A little savings for me!

Diamond specs (because I know you'll ask--it's PS after all!)

MEASUREMENT 9.39 - 9.43 x 5.78 mm

TABLE SIZE 55.7%

TOTAL DEPTH 61.4%

PAVILION ANGLE 40.7°

CROWN ANGLE 34.2°

LIGHT PERFORMANCE Ideal

POLISH GRADE Ideal

SYMMETRY GRADE Ideal

CADS of my engagement ring (named Regina)

engagementring2.jpg

CADS of my wedding band (named Regal)

weddingband1.jpg

weddingband2.JPG

The wedding band is actually 2 interlocking bands. So so cool. Right now I'm just changing the way I wear them trying to figure out which way I like best. Decisions, decisions....

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Ok Jamie don't worry this will not in any way hurt your job security but I have a few pictures of my own!

ringwithdog1.jpg

ringwithdog2.jpg

Professional picture tip! If you can't really take pictures throw an adorable pet in there. Of course they do tend to steal the show, so be forewarned!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Well, there you have it. I need to now get back to my very ordinary life of cooking, cleaning, volunteering, walking my adorable dog Mo and nosing my way into my adult children’s lives with unwanted and unsolicited advice (fun!). I imagine it’s time to roll up that red carpet… There’s no more need for it…. Catches a glimpse of my left hand, wow that hit the light just right,.. glad I’m wearing sunglasses right now… I’ll get to that red carpet tomorrow… after all tomorrow is another day….

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Oh and by the way, I wasn't supposed to have my engagement ring until July 6. That was until they found out my anniversary date way June 30.

A perfect ending...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HPDelicious.:love:
And yes your rings are glorious.:appl:

Happy 35th wedding anniversary!!!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing! I loved reading your journey and the finished product is absolutely perfect! Congratulations x

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love your story..and your beautiful new ring! Happy 35th Anniversary!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, your rings and diamond is absolute perfection!:love:
Happy 35th Anniversary to you both!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
#RingGoals
Happy Anniversary!! All of it is superb!! I LOVE the band(s)!!
Absolutely breathtaking!!!
Cheers to a lifetime more of happiness, health & BLING!!! :kiss2:

Not only did I get an amazing upgrade but an amazing life partner as well. Sounds like you have as well!

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
It's just soo beautiful, regal and classic! Your story is incredible. Thanks for taking us on the journey. Congratulations on your 35 years. Many blessings to you. :love:

I am SO overwhelmed by the comments. I really don't want to cry....uh excuse me....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results