shape
carat
color
clarity

Unique and Unusual - Post them here!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/16/2004 11:28:56 AM Momoftwo wrote:

Just food for thought, you can bash all these pieces even though it might be offensive to someone, like the designer or even who owned one of them? Not that I particularly care for any of them, but someone might, so let's just be careful. There probably is jealousy and envy involved, but let's be frank, everyone is jealous of something on PS that someone owns and a few people probably think there's a few people with too much time and money on their hands, but may not say it out loud. That doesn't mean it isn't being thought. And isn't the anonymity of the web what allows people to say what they really feel? ----------------

I think you raise a valid point. I have come to enjoy this thread more for the interesting and highly creative names that people come up with for the jewelry and think of the pieces as interesting, more than ugly, with very few exception (clusters of gray, I3 diamonds seem to be universally frowned upon).

I think this thread was created in good faith and the witty humor of many forum members in naming some of these funky pieces is why it endures. But the point that what one of us thinks might be "ugly" another might find appealing, is well taken.

While I might not pick every style for myself, I truly believe almost every ring or jewelry item, whether it was given in love or created with earnest by an individual, is beautiful in at least that respect alone. I think the line needs to be drawn when a forum member just attacks another for no reason. If I post my rings and someone doesn't like them, say nothing or just "Congrats" and leave it at that. When someone solicits an opinion, as in "Do you think this ring is _______ (ugly, too wide, too small, whatever),” then responding honestly, yet courteously and tactfully, is most appropriate.

Here is a good example. In a recent thread, someone asked for opinions between two similar settings: one was a bezel around the stone while the other just had prongs. I personally don't care for bezels in eRings most of the time so I responded that when there is a great center stone, I prefer a solitaire look for an ering, but clearly both styles were well-crafted and very pretty. Now, I could have taken a picture of some other member's bezel-set ering and posted it and written “Bezel setting are ugly--look at this one!" Which is more appropriate, Internet license to anonymity or not?
1.gif

JCJD

Brilliant_Rock
Perhaps in the spirit of acceptance and good-natured fun all-around, we could unofficially rename this thread, "The good, the bad, and the OBSCURE"! I believe all of the jewelry pictures posted so far have been obscure, a term which does not carry the same negative connotations as 'ugly' does. Anybody else???

Jennifer, I am SO sorry you've had to endure such personal, unwarranted attacks on your beautiful wedding set. While I will freely admit that your rings are far too blingy for me to wear (but only because I work with ornery, aggressive, and temperamental birds for a living!!!!!!), I also think that they are absolutely beautiful pieces of jewelry that also happen to be symbols of the loving and committed relationship between you and your husband! Nobody here gets away with intentionally bashing anybody else's beloved jewelry with no provocation! I formally retract my attempt to give lauratabs the benefit of the doubt by assuming that she simply did not understand that her posts were hurtful and rude. She has made it abundantly clear that she understands perfectly well how her posts will be perceived, and I, among many others, find that unacceptable.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/5/2004 9:57:03 AM ANMdiamonds wrote:

He said he would BEAR his heart.
BearHeart.jpg

Id love to get my sweets this one except with a ruby instead of a diamond :}
She would love it :}
yummy!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
yummy :}

BearHeartruby.jpg

I love this thread! I am not sure which is funnier, some of those rings or the comments!

What do people think of this ring is from Tiffany... priced from $32,820
apologies in advance if anyone does like it, but it is certainly not to my taste!
engagement_other_schlbees1.jpg

engagement_other_schlbees2.jpg

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2004 1:28:44 PM
Author: ANMdiamonds
Red shower
14.gif
nono.gif
Ring_VCA_4308b.jpg

Meteorite that began the ice age.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Elephant Seal

horizonwholesale_1816_84509999

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
He went that way~~~~~~~~~~>

horizonwholesale_1815_76585451

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Who you lookin'' at??

horizonwholesale_1815_59374640

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
......................................................................................
33.gif

horizonwholesale_1813_32364209

And not to be left out.......

horizonwholesale_1813_76229407
horizonwholesale_1813_242512653

I really don't know what to say.................................
33.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
M'am.... would anyone actually pay 1$ for that ring ? Turned upside down, that thinghie would probably look like a fine rose cut; as is - what were they thinking
20.gif
Ignore the loose stone nearby, this is not about it...

The photo is Wink's from another forum (the replacement marq is his, not the ring) - I happened to find it while using Google as a browser.

73679-side-by-side.jpg

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/16/2004 11:28:56 AM
Author: Momoftwo
Just food for thought, you can bash all these pieces even though it might be offensive to someone, like the designer or even who owned one of them
Well, at least three or four "uglies" around here look really beautiful to me... despite the acid captions.

If there is some way to make everyone agree on likes and dislikes, I surely don''t have a clue what that can be. (not talking about advertising, just file o''clock tea chatter). :)

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
I kind of think of it like looking at clouds. Sometimes you can look at them and see interesting shapes that remind you of certain things. Not "ugly"..just different.

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/31/2004 1:49:40 PM
Author: valeria101
M''am.... would anyone actually pay 1$ for that ring ? Turned upside down, that thinghie would probably look like a fine rose cut; as is - what were they thinking
20.gif

The photo is Wink''s from another forum (the replacement marq is his, not the ring) - I happened to find it while using Google as a browser.
wow, its amazing the difference between the two.
6.gif

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 10/31/2004 3:44:32 PM
Author: Diamonds4Me

M''am.... would anyone actually pay 1$ for that ring ? Turned upside down, that thinghie would probably look like a fine rose cut; as is - what were they thinking
20.gif

The photo is Wink''s from another forum (the replacement marq is his, not the ring) - I happened to find it while using Google as a browser.
6.gif
It''s the cutting, its all about the cutting. No matter the stone, be it a diamond, a colored gem, or even, gasp, a CZ, it is all about the cutting!

Wink

Diamonds4Me

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/3/2004 5
6.gif
6.gif
9 PM
Author: Wink

Date: 10/31/2004 3:44:32 PM
Author: Diamonds4Me

20.gif

6.gif
It''s the cutting, its all about the cutting. No matter the stone, be it a diamond, a colored gem, or even, gasp, a CZ, it is all about the cutting!

Wink
No worries! The stone you replaced it with more than made up for it
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
Maybe the one you replaced can be recut??

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Hey man- that ring doesn't belong in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
emdgust.gif

Especially if it's something you made for a client. I think it's cool.
emsmile.gif

I love recycled jewelry projects. You need to share more of your stuff.
emthup.gif

That ring is not something I would call "bad or ugly"

Good job.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Feydakin,

I''m with your client, I love that ring!

I have a number of rings that I''ve been vaguely planning to post on this thread, because while I love them, most people think they''re hideous. That''s fine with me. As Wink always says, that''s why they sell vanilla and chocolate ice cream.

I have lots of strong opinions that aren''t universally shared. I hate princess cuts, for example. So what? If you wear a princess, does my not liking it make it any less beautiful to the people who matter?

Anyone who wants to hate my jewelry is welcome to not wear it. If you have amusing comments to make about it, go ahead. Chances are I''ll find them funny too.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/4/2004 10:57:23 AM
Author: Feydakin
Thanks -

I'd just like to add that I absolutely love that Tiffany ring further up..

Steve

Yeah... even in person, the two insects are so proportioned that unmistakably look like flies rather then bees to me. Just great for Halloween ! I guess to most craftsmanship will show first and Entomology fact never though...

reena

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/4/2004 10:57:23 AM
Author: Feydakin
Thanks -

I''d just like to add that I absolutely love that Tiffany ring further up..

Steve
sorry--but if we''re being honest, i do not like it at all.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Okay, here''s one of my favorites that everyone I know finds hideous. My husband won''t let me wear it when he''s around. Feel free to make fun of it! I love it, myself.

pearlring1.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glitterata,
I agree with Feydakin. Change the pearl out to a Tahitian and I''ll volunteer to wear it everyday.

I thought the Tiff ring looked really odd. It didn''t even look like flies or bees until Ana mentioned it. More like the ring has funky wings at the two ends.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
The Sopranos men''s ring - combines style and function by making an impression at the party, or on someones forehead. Never worry about leaving your knuckle breakers at home again.

men_s_ring_with_sapphire_and_diamonds.jpg

Jennifer5973

Ideal_Rock
At my jeweler's today, I decided that some day (not too far away) I want a big, fat obnoxious RHR loaded with diamonds in blazing yellow gold.... I can't wait to get it and post it here!
9.gif
2.gif
1.gif

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
I''m a newbie still...what''s RHR?

This thread has made me smile. Very clever!!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
RHR = right hand ring

blueroses

Ideal_Rock

I don''t have a picture to post, but I did see this ad on craigslist and it CRACKS me up:

3.5 carats for enagement ring or for anyone with class
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply to:
Date: 2004-11-20, 9:58PM EST

3.5 carat diamond make offer apraised 22k I2 m color radiant cut

LOL!!!!! It''s an I2 M color, but nonono, ladies, this fine 3.5 hunk o'' rock is ONLY for "youse" gals w/ class!

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
Ok. The other angle of this ring--the one that really made it look not-my-taste--isn't uploading.

And now I see that this really doesn't look horrible. Not my dream ring, but not awful. And I don't know how to delete an attachment when editing a post. Anyone? Sorry!

oddring.jpg

blueroses

Ideal_Rock
How about this basket of Jurassic eggs?

easteregg.jpg

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
Jennifer,

I''m new on this site (and have read everything on this thread) but I have to say I have a huge issue with your rings..

.....they''re on your finger and not on mine...sigh..maybe in another lifetime..

allycat

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results