shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Unheated 9.5 carat sapphire ring

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I am on a roll B32E2585-A9D6-4E48-BC3B-CC9BF10751D2.jpeg today with SMTB. I have also posted this ring last year in the vintage forum. This is an unheated 9.5 carat Burmese sapphire. It was my grandmother’s, but I am not sure if it was given to her or inherited. The style is Art Deco so I think probably given to her or purchased by her as she was born in 1922. It was bigger but I chipped it and had it recut. 277A543A-FEB2-41AE-A033-994C54EDE74E.jpeg

Last edited:

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
You should get a lotus report for that.

Amazing. :love:

I am not actually what that is! Will have a google. It was sent it off to a lab for testing and has a “certificate” that tells all the details. Is a lotus report pretty much the same thing?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am on a roll B32E2585-A9D6-4E48-BC3B-CC9BF10751D2.jpeg today with SMTB. I have also posted this ring last year in the vintage forum. This is an unheated 9.5 carat Burmese sapphire. It was my grandmother’s, but I am not sure if it was given to her or inherited. The style is Art Deco so I think probably given to her or purchased by her as she was born in 1922. It was bigger but I chipped it and had it recut. 277A543A-FEB2-41AE-A033-994C54EDE74E.jpeg

fainting.gif

:love::love::love:

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!!!!!:appl:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, well, well, my God THAT is a sapphire.
A Lotus or GRS Swiss lab report is the creme de la creme of reports for “significant” gems ie big, unheated and of probable fabulous origin (think Kashmir or Burmese).
Though at which point an armed guard might be necessary.
Whatever, just promise that you’ll wear it often and love it to death
EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. FOREVER

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Breathtaking! Really about the most fabulous sapphire ring I’ve seen. New favorite for sure.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just one thing, me with the “beady eyes”, please check the claw prongs holding the sapphire.
Your first photo, bottom left prong, I’m seeing daylight where I shouldn’t. And In your second photo, the bottom right prong is off centre.
Using your fingernail on the girdle (edge of sapphire) see if you can get the sapphire to wiggle either up or down or side to side - even just a bit.
If yes, back to the jeweller pronto.
You have just 4 claws and a loose prong could spell disaster.
Though I’m a complete stranger to you, let me tell you, if that beauty of gorgeousness fell out, I’d (and most of Pricescope) be dying alongside you.

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just one thing, me with the “beady eyes”, please check the claw prongs holding the sapphire.
Your first photo, bottom left prong, I’m seeing daylight where I shouldn’t. And In your second photo, the bottom right prong is off centre.
Using your fingernail on the girdle (edge of sapphire) see if you can get the sapphire to wiggle either up or down or side to side - even just a bit.
If yes, back to the jeweller pronto.
You have just 4 claws and a loose prong could spell disaster.
Though I’m a complete stranger to you, let me tell you, if that beauty of gorgeousness fell out, I’d (and most of Pricescope) be dying alongside you.

Thank you! So yes it has fallen out of the setting before. It’s a long, pretty amazing story and I will post about it later today. It’s just back in the original setting temporarily to not have it loose, I don’t wear it much. But that was what let to me discovering everything about the sapphire! I was debating a new setting as this original one needs a lot of work, but I think stick with the original and have it rebuilt.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Did you hear my jaw drop to the floor?

But seriously the prongs... pls put this gorgeous gem in a stronger setting. =)2

diamondsareagirls

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the compliments! I wish I knew more of it's history and whether it was a present from my grandfather or inherited from my great grandmother or whether my grandmother just bought it herself as I am so sentimental. All are possible (great grandmother and grandmother both collected amazing rare jewelry, grandfather was an extravagant giver) so I can't narrow it down very easily. My mom and aunts are not at all into material things - I was the one that had the ring appraised - and nobody seemed to get the story on any of my grandmother's jewelry.

My Mom gave me the ring to wear on my wedding day as my "something blue/old" and it was the first time I had seen it. It was too big for my finger, but I wore it anyway, mostly upside down lol. I thought it was gorgeous yet knew nothing about gemstones and it was so big and given to me without any fanfare (like "be super careful!!") that I never assumed anything and had absolutely NO idea of the value of a sapphire in general let alone anything about heated/unheated, origin, etc. I kept hold of the ring after the wedding (my mom really doesn't wear jewelry and definitely not a huge ring) because I did just love it and I wore it all sorts of places. Until it fell out one night and luckily I found it! Then it hung out for years and years loose until I decided to get some other jewelry appraised and insured and grabbed it out of curiosity. Anyway, the jeweler put it under the microscope and got very excited! I was just happy it was actually a sapphire, but he said he thought it looked natural and for many reasons I should get that verified. He recut it (I chipped it. I never asked how much lost from it, but I can visually see it's smaller and it's now 9.56 so at least over 10 before....I try not to think about that) and it was shipped off to Stone Group Labs where they somehow determined the origin and also that is not treated.

It was put back in the setting - he did something to the prongs to make them more secure for now - and I have to figure out what to do with it! Whole new setting or rebuild this one. I like keeping it original so probably will fix up what I already have (I don't actually know what needs to be done, but the ring is very "worn out" )

I am interested in getting a Lotus Report! I will look into that today.

Thanks for all the compliments again!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, wow, wow, fabulous colour.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Very beautiful piece!

lilysweet

Shiny_Rock
This is so gorgeous.....a dream ring for sure! You are lucky to have a grandmother with an interest in FABULOUS jewelry and even luckier to have a mother and aunts that have no interest in it! Wear her and enjoy the hell out of it!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results