shape
carat
color
clarity

Under 30 y/o PS-ers, what is in your jewelry collection atm?

okthen

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I just joined PS and am blown away by some member's pieces and knowledge!!

Which has led me to wonder what do PS-ers my age (under 30, just paid student debt though!!) own in jewelry, when we haven't had as long to accumulate assets and have too many other ways to spend it both good (down payment on a house, investing) and bad (bags, travel, going out, art).

Photos are great!

So are your thoughts on how you are going about building your jewelry wardrobe.

Thanks

A lot of my jewelry collection consists of earrings (my favourite), with a couple of bracelets and watches, and a few rings. I inherited some pieces which are sentimental. My most expensive piece is probably my studs, which took me ages and ages to save up for! A lot of my earrings etc are reasonably inexpensive.

I never wore jewelry around my neck so I didnt really have any necklaces/pendants, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea. I used to buy my jewelry willy-nilly earlier, but I became way more disciplined over the last couple years, making a wish list that I'm slowly working my way down. I try and restrict myself to only a couple purchases per year.

I'm not engaged yet, so my rings consist of either inexpensive CS rings or bands. I do have an inherited diamond that I've been planning to set into an RHR but havent gotten around to it yet!

adele_h

Shiny_Rock
I’m 33 now, but before I turned 30 I had a 0.4ct bezel pendant, a 0.33ct diamond band from blue nile, and for my 30th I had a pair of earrings made that were inspired by a pair at Tiffany’s. I had inherited a modest (but lovely!) sapphire and diamond ring also.

ean

Brilliant_Rock
Hello! I am 26 and I have been building my collection slowly over time. I try to stick to “essential” pieces that will go with any outfit as of now, then add more fun pieces later (brooches, pins, etc.)

-My e-ring, a double halo radiant (which I honestly don’t love as much now that I discovered old cuts)
-I have a dbty necklace and bracelet, both WG and 1ct as far as I remember.
-Tiffany Victoria style stud earrings 8mm and .60ct I believe.
-WG fresh water pearl dangle earrings
-1.8mm plain WG band
-3mm diamond half eternity (will give to my mom)
-1930s OEC 1.22ct 5 stone band in platinum
-WG Vintage single cut band that just sold
-2.2ct French cut band (For sale)
-Loose oec and sapphire that I’m planning to make into a 3 stone hopefully very soon!

In the near future I’d love to have an antique ruby and/or emerald ring as well.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I am not under 30, but when I was, I didn't have a ton of stuff.

I had various freshwater pearl studs and bracelets.

I had quite a bit of sterling silver jewelry, either with or without stones.

Colored stone rings, mostly in 10 or 14kt. Think blue topaz, other colors of topaz, really dark blue navy sapphires (that is what fit the budget and existed where I was shopping). There was both a QVC and HSN outlet I shopped at for items. Honestly that was where I bought most of my stuff when I was under 30. It was a reasonable quality for the price and things that have been returned usually showed up at the store, so you got a fairly nice item especially for the price.

The nicest thing I probably had was a pair of GIA certified studs in bezels. .45 and .44 each. GIA triple x, J color, SI1. I no longer have those.

It takes time to build up a collection of larger or more expensive things. I think the best thing to do is focus on staple items. Buy something that is nice quality that you can resell later and fund another purchase if needed. Or purchase somewhere with an upgrade policy.

One of the biggest things that I did was to waste money on bags. I used to frequent the handbag form you mentioned and you really do get sucked into the idea that you need to have a nice purse. I honestly think that most of my handbag purchases were basically burnt money. I don't even carry a bag now most of the time. I just use a pouch that is leather that fits my baseline cards and sometimes it holds my phone. But I used to think that was really important!

pk888

Shiny_Rock
I am 30 now but have been collecting since I can remember (grade 3 I started to seriously collect)

many trips abroad and birthdays and Christmas or life events that are gift worthy where I asked for gold and jewlery

so far I have collected
- 9 good watches (rolex, omega, breitling, jlc)
-11 other that are okay (citizen, mk, Lacoste, skagen, seik

- 10 gold chains (14-24k)
- 14 gold pendants (10-24k, some with diamonds and precious stones)
- 5 gold bracelets (14-24k, 2 with diamonds)
- 39 gold rings (with different precious gemstones and diamonds)

- 7 chains in silver
- 9 pendants on silver with various stones
- 3 silver bracelets
- 21 silver rings with different gemstones

and a few gold and silver coins and buillon

I find that what excites me is finding the steal deals slowly and paying as close to raw material cost as possible

when I look at the collection I have, I may have only paid full retail for 1 watch because it’s supply is a bit limited right now

but all the rest of the collection was paid at raw material
Cost or below raw material value

jbake

Brilliant_Rock
I’m over 30 now, but this is most of my pre-30 collection.

Rings:
0EBF9720-2247-4D41-AC8C-9AD4F3BEDD04.jpeg
My engagement ring was originally in a wider cathedral setting, and the diamond bands were soldered like shown. I’ve since reset it in a 2mm cathedral ring and the bands polished to wear alone or in a stack. I occasionally wore the plain band alone when I was doing something I didn’t want to wear my whole set to do.
The marquise and round bezel ring and 2.5mm shared prong band were for the births of my two children. I used to wear the bottom set on my right ring finger and the top set on my left middle, along with my wedding set. I don’t usually wear that much at a time these days.

B464E511-F557-4603-9F2E-4AE7EEE6229A.jpeg
The Australian coin bracelet, pearl button earrings, & pearl pendant were my daily wear items.
The pearl and flower bracelet was a wedding gift from my husband and replaced the bracelet below that I planned to wear that day. The next pearl strand was a gift for our first anniversary and the bottom bracelet and necklace were purchased when I was a teenager working at our local small town jewelry store.

Not pictured:
Earrings that match the small pearl bracelet
.50ctw earrings that have been reset into pendants
1ctw 5 stone ring reset as 7 stone ring

My collection really took off after joining Pricescope (not too surprising :lol:) and is now predominantly rose gold!

pk888

Shiny_Rock
I am 30 now but have been collecting since I can remember (grade 3 I started to seriously collect)

many trips abroad and birthdays and Christmas or life events that are gift worthy where I asked for gold and jewlery

so far I have collected

- 7 chains in silver
- 3 silver bracelets

I find that what excites me is finding the steal deals slowly and paying as close to raw material cost as possible

when I look at the collection I have, I may have only paid full retail for 1 watch because it’s supply is a bit limited right now

Cost or below raw material val

Snap shot of the collection

there are 4 new items that wasn’t included in the group shot and so they have individual shots instead

ABCE25A6-01CF-4A35-B8AC-B28C6DC67A0E.jpeg 2B5CE195-563B-4C2D-85E9-73AFD8F07718.jpeg 91E64911-8CD3-4B11-907F-1C5A11228F34.jpeg 80F8A061-893E-4BAD-A469-72DC5BEEF015.jpeg 810D451B-3398-4244-BEA0-3F1EAA5DD1FB.jpeg

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
I am 27, and I have:

- 1 carat engagement ring
- 3 diamond and gold bands
- 3 plain gold 18k bands
- 1 diamond and ruby band
- 5 gemstone and gold bands
- 1 diamond platinum ring
- 2 diamond (1+ carat solitaires)
- 3 moissanite pieces (necklace and 2 rings)
- 1 lab diamond necklace
- 1 diamond solitaire pendant
- diamond cross necklace
- 1 colored stone solitaire
- 6 diamond earrings
- a pearl set (ring, bracelet, necklace, ring)
- multiple semi-Precious necklaces (onyx, silver etc)
- dozens of loose stones

I have a very modest collection compared to most people! My mind set is to get good quality pieces now. My budget is 1-3 new pieces per year ($500-$2,000 each). Things I won’t want to resell, and to start collection the “basics” (pearls and diamonds) that I can wear every day. I will start going after the big bucket list items when I am older and my hubby is out of graduate school. :)

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock
I’m working on a basics collection. I have:
1. 6 ct tennis bracelet (it’s too small, I might need to buy a second next year or the year after if bonuses are good).
2. A Hawaiian heirloom bangle I’ve had since I was small. Gifted to me by my father and it has my first name in raised letters on it.
3. Another, slightly thicker Hawaiian heirloom bangle I just purchased and am waiting to be completed. It’ll have my Hawaiian/ middle name in enamel.
4. A Hawaiian heirloom style barrel pendant with the letter “C” on it (my husband’s first initial) on it to go on a chain I bought from a PS-er.
5. Pearl earrings from the lovely SpringDay.
6. I’m in the process of wiring money to WF for my new ACA. My bank is the slowest when it comes to wiring money. And I’m out of state so this is going to be even slower. I need to figure out a setting for it.
7. 3mm YG plain band.
8. 3.5mm 3/4 eternity band.

Forgot to add that I’m 28. I plan to throw all my money into sizing up the ACA and a second tennis bracelet by 30. I may get a third Hawaiian bangle if we have a daughter but otherwise I’m prob done with really adding to the collection/ switching things up. I’m finally settling down (kind of).

Last edited:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just gotta say that some of you under 30s have pretty impressive collections. I remember being under 30 (kinda), and all I had was my wedding band, my e-ring, a Rolex (I loved it.), a string of Mikimoto pearls and earrings, (wedding gift jewelry that I would never wear) and that was it. You all are building lovely collections.

GeliL

Shiny_Rock
I am 27 and I have a pretty big collection because both my mother and I love to collect jewelry! She buys me a lot of stuff without telling me but fortunately we haven't disagreed on her choices.

Most of my rings and earrings I bought for myself. I have a couple of small mikimoto pieces and a couple of small diamond earrings, but otherwise it's gold with jadeite or semi precious stones like agate.

You can see the emerald and diamond ring on my profile which are 2 of my most expensive jewelry :D

I am saving up to get a top quality emerald over 2ct, so that's going to take me a while. I am also thinking about gem quality pearl earrings and finding a pretty purple sapphire for my mother (she buys so much for me and I'd like to return the favor since she is more on the jadeite/nephrite side and isn't familiar on gemstones)

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
I’m 25 going 26, and my everyday collection comprises of:

- VCA 5-Motif YG Bracelet
- VCA GMOP RG Necklace
- Cartier Trinity Ring XS
- Cartier JUC YG Ring
- Mikimoto 7.5mm AAA Akoya WG Studs
- Hermes Chaine d’Ancre RG Earring
- Tiffany Silver Bean Necklace
- Whiteflash ACA Solitaire WG Pendant
- Emerald-Cut Diamond Engagement WG Ring
- Custom Pink Tourmaline YG Ring
- Diamond WG Band
- Diamond WG Bracelet

Thinking of adding more VCA pieces like the Onyx 5-Motifs or a Perlee ring to add to the everyday collection in the near future!

Last edited:

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
I’m 30 and have been avidly collecting since I was 25. I started out with smaller antique pieces that I’d find at antique shops and pawn shops but now I’ve really fallen in love with old cuts and diamonds in general. I’ll have to post my collection when I have a chance. To be completely honest I have two children ages 4 years and 3 months and I’ve found that my love for jewelry gives me a bit of a mental escape from the everyday chaos. It gives me something to be excited about when I’m spending hours on the couch breastfeeding- literally . I love to hunt for new pieces. Off the top of my head:

- 5 or 6 antique onyx rings (some with diamonds)
- 4? Cameo rings
-2 peal cluster rings
- blue pearl necklace (push present)
- small sapphire ring
- sterling tiffany bow ring
- .5 ct tw diamond earrings
.25 ctw diamond earrings (inherited)
14k gold necklace (inherited
-1 ctw moissanite earrings
- 4 antique bands
- grey moissanite and diamond baguette ring
- wedding set - 1.25 ct center halo rose gold
- 2 ct old cut solitaire 18k
- .65 ct euro in Ruby target ring
- 1.21 ct lab diamond in 14k ring
- 3 loose stones - .49 ct transitional, .61 ct brown lab diamond, 1.27 ct emerald lab diamond
- 2 Pearl rings

Ok - I’m going to stop now but perhaps add a few pics tomorrow

asterismdispersion

Shiny_Rock
I agree the collections listed here are impressive. Thinking back to when I was 30, fairly recently, I had collected:

- art deco star sapphire gypsy ring
- art deco Old European cut diamond ring
- Edwardian platinum over 14k gold diamond cufflinks
- midcentury sterling silver cufflinks
- 1980s Christian Dior tiger's eye brass/goldtone cufflinks
- 4 loose stones: a garnet, a ruby, and 2 star sapphires
- 2 Bulova gold-filled watches from the year 1949

When I passed 30 then I promptly began setting things.

okthen

Rough_Rock
I agree the collections listed here are impressive. Thinking back to when I was 30, fairly recently, I had collected:

- art deco star sapphire gypsy ring
- art deco Old European cut diamond ring
- Edwardian platinum over 14k gold diamond cufflinks
- midcentury sterling silver cufflinks
- 1980s Christian Dior tiger's eye brass/goldtone cufflinks
- 4 loose stones: a garnet, a ruby, and 2 star sapphires
- 2 Bulova gold-filled watches from the year 1949

When I passed 30 then I promptly began setting things.

You make me wanna look into cufflinks :evil2:

okthen

Rough_Rock
I’m 30 and have been avidly collecting since I was 25. I started out with smaller antique pieces that I’d find at antique shops and pawn shops but now I’ve really fallen in love with old cuts and diamonds in general. I’ll have to post my collection when I have a chance. To be completely honest I have two children ages 4 years and 3 months and I’ve found that my love for jewelry gives me a bit of a mental escape from the everyday chaos. It gives me something to be excited about when I’m spending hours on the couch breastfeeding- literally . I love to hunt for new pieces. Off the top of my head:

- 5 or 6 antique onyx rings (some with diamonds)
- 4? Cameo rings
-2 peal cluster rings
- blue pearl necklace (push present)
- small sapphire ring
- sterling tiffany bow ring
- .5 ct tw diamond earrings
.25 ctw diamond earrings (inherited)
14k gold necklace (inherited
-1 ctw moissanite earrings
- 4 antique bands
- grey moissanite and diamond baguette ring
- wedding set - 1.25 ct center halo rose gold
- 2 ct old cut solitaire 18k
- .65 ct euro in Ruby target ring
- 1.21 ct lab diamond in 14k ring
- 3 loose stones - .49 ct transitional, .61 ct brown lab diamond, 1.27 ct emerald lab diamond
- 2 Pearl rings

Ok - I’m going to stop now but perhaps add a few pics tomorrow

You've done so well!

I'd love to see the onyx rings and the 2 ct old cut solitaire...and ofc everything else.

I am not a mum yet but I can relate to jewelry being a mental escape from everyday drudgeries...I love looking at my ring peek through the soap while doing dishes after a long day at work :)

okthen

Rough_Rock
I’m 25 going 26, and my everyday collection comprises of:

- VCA 5-Motif YG Bracelet
- VCA GMOP RG Necklace
- Cartier Trinity Ring XS
- Cartier JUC YG Ring
- Mikimoto 7.5mm AAA Akoya WG Studs
- Hermes Chaine d’Ancre RG Earring
- Tiffany Silver Bean Necklace
- Whiteflash ACA Solitaire WG Pendant
- Emerald-Cut Diamond Engagement WG Ring
- Custom Pink Tourmaline YG Ring
- Diamond WG Band
- Diamond WG Bracelet

Thinking of adding more VCA pieces like the Onyx 5-Motifs or a Perlee ring to add to the everyday collection in the near future!

Love how you've been disciplined with your purchases...I have too many smaller trinket-y items than I could have resisted to make one HG item!

okthen

Rough_Rock
I’m working on a basics collection. I have:
1. 6 ct tennis bracelet (it’s too small, I might need to buy a second next year or the year after if bonuses are good).
2. A Hawaiian heirloom bangle I’ve had since I was small. Gifted to me by my father and it has my first name in raised letters on it.
3. Another, slightly thicker Hawaiian heirloom bangle I just purchased and am waiting to be completed. It’ll have my Hawaiian/ middle name in enamel.
4. A Hawaiian heirloom style barrel pendant with the letter “C” on it (my husband’s first initial) on it to go on a chain I bought from a PS-er.
5. Pearl earrings from the lovely SpringDay.
6. I’m in the process of wiring money to WF for my new ACA. My bank is the slowest when it comes to wiring money. And I’m out of state so this is going to be even slower. I need to figure out a setting for it.
7. 3mm YG plain band.
8. 3.5mm 3/4 eternity band.

Forgot to add that I’m 28. I plan to throw all my money into sizing up the ACA and a second tennis bracelet by 30. I may get a third Hawaiian bangle if we have a daughter but otherwise I’m prob done with really adding to the collection/ switching things up. I’m finally settling down (kind of).

Hi WT, your collection sounds amazing. I am curious about your Hawaiian peices...would you be able to share photos or a link please. Thanks!

okthen

Rough_Rock
My mind set is to get good quality pieces now. My budget is 1-3 new pieces per year ($500-$2,000 each).

I am the same atm! Too many trinket-y items, gotta focus on ones that will stand the test of time.

Can I ask, how often do you change your earrings? Six pairs sounds like a lot!

okthen

Rough_Rock
A lot of my jewelry collection consists of earrings (my favourite), with a couple of bracelets and watches, and a few rings. I inherited some pieces which are sentimental. My most expensive piece is probably my studs, which took me ages and ages to save up for! A lot of my earrings etc are reasonably inexpensive.

I never wore jewelry around my neck so I didnt really have any necklaces/pendants, but I'm slowly coming around to the idea. I used to buy my jewelry willy-nilly earlier, but I became way more disciplined over the last couple years, making a wish list that I'm slowly working my way down. I try and restrict myself to only a couple purchases per year.

I'm not engaged yet, so my rings consist of either inexpensive CS rings or bands. I do have an inherited diamond that I've been planning to set into an RHR but havent gotten around to it yet!

I've only just taken to wearing a necklace and a pendant as well. I think I was just lazy in putting it on (fastening and stuff) but once I did it, I don't wanna take it off!

okthen

Rough_Rock

so far I have collected

- 7 chains in silver
- 3 silver bracelets

Cost or below raw material value

You have 60 rings!!!!!!! How often do you change them?

I am the same -- I wanna pay as close to the raw material in case I ever wanna resell.

okthen

Rough_Rock
Snap shot of the collection

there are 4 new items that wasn’t included in the group shot and so they have individual shots instead

ABCE25A6-01CF-4A35-B8AC-B28C6DC67A0E.jpeg 2B5CE195-563B-4C2D-85E9-73AFD8F07718.jpeg 91E64911-8CD3-4B11-907F-1C5A11228F34.jpeg 80F8A061-893E-4BAD-A469-72DC5BEEF015.jpeg 810D451B-3398-4244-BEA0-3F1EAA5DD1FB.jpeg

Also, your gemstone rings are to die for!!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

okthen

Rough_Rock
Hello! I am 26 and I have been building my collection slowly over time. I try to stick to “essential” pieces that will go with any outfit as of now, then add more fun pieces later (brooches, pins, etc.)

-My e-ring, a double halo radiant (which I honestly don’t love as much now that I discovered old cuts)
-I have a dbty necklace and bracelet, both WG and 1ct as far as I remember.
-Tiffany Victoria style stud earrings 8mm and .60ct I believe.
-WG fresh water pearl dangle earrings
-1.8mm plain WG band
-3mm diamond half eternity (will give to my mom)
-1930s OEC 1.22ct 5 stone band in platinum
-WG Vintage single cut band that just sold
-2.2ct French cut band (For sale)
-Loose oec and sapphire that I’m planning to make into a 3 stone hopefully very soon!

In the near future I’d love to have an antique ruby and/or emerald ring as well.
Almost exactly what I want in a jewelry wardrobe!

Can you share photos of your Victoria-style 0.60v studs please! I am in process of ordering a pair myself :evil2:

okthen

Rough_Rock
It takes time to build up a collection of larger or more expensive things. I think the best thing to do is focus on staple items. Buy something that is nice quality that you can resell later and fund another purchase if needed. Or purchase somewhere with an upgrade policy.

One of the biggest things that I did was to waste money on bags. I used to frequent the handbag form you mentioned and you really do get sucked into the idea that you need to have a nice purse. I honestly think that most of my handbag purchases were basically burnt money. I don't even carry a bag now most of the time. I just use a pouch that is leather that fits my baseline cards and sometimes it holds my phone. But I used to think that was really important!

This is great advice, thanks so much!

pk888

Shiny_Rock
You have 60 rings!!!!!!! How often do you change them?

I am the same -- I wanna pay as close to the raw material in case I ever wanna resell.

Hahahah I change them before daily

everything is rotated based on the mood and what I’m wearing and which watch

so that metal tones match and the gemstone compliments my shirt

these days I’m trying to change weekly

pk888

Shiny_Rock
Also, your gemstone rings are to die for!!

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Thank you!!! This is a result of 25 or so years of collecting

winnietucker

Ideal_Rock

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
Why the age specification/discrimination? Seems so obsolete...

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results