shape
carat
color
clarity

UK and other non-US PSers. What e-rings and wedding bands do you see locally?

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
:D Haha no need to apologise! I am thrilled to get everyone's replies!

I find it really interesting when I read posts from US-based PSers who seem to have a really clear idea of what is normal within their circles, eg 1ct minimum, 1.5ct is OK but 2ct would be too much. I don't really have that sense. It's more anything goes around here and there is a subtler - and sometimes perverse - relationship between wealth and material possessions. Some of the wealthiest people I know wear plain bands / nothing at all (too busy mucking out the horses in an old Barbour jacket sort of thing), while Big Bling is seen as a bit <whispers> new money. Unless it was left to you by a great-aunt, then it's fine.

From friends with a similar background to me (middle class professionals in 30s/40s) who wear e-rings:

- 3 stone princess cut set in platinum, probably 1ctw, with plain platinum band
- very small (.10-.20ct) bezel set in white metal, with matching plain band
- RB about 1 carat set NSEW in rose gold, with plain matching band
- about 0.50ct princess cut in yellow gold, with plain matching band
- 0.3ct ish solitaire in YG with plain band, with plain matching band
- 0.75ct RB half-bezel solitaire in white metal and matching plain band
- EC 1-1.5ct solitaire in white metal with matching plain band (2 former work acquaintances - inspired my own upgrade as I coveted their rings for years!)
- Ruby centre 3 stone with diamond sides in yellow gold - maybe 1ct ruby and 0.3ct sides
- Large dark sapphire centre, maybe 2cts, with small diamond sides in yellow gold

So, all over the place really.

Among the newly engaged younger women I work with, many of whom are from more working-class backgrounds, there is a trend towards more glitzy settings - halos, pave, diamond wedding bands etc. That's what got me thinking about whether US influence is filtering through as it's much more similar to what I see on PS.

Yes I agree there is lots of variety in social circles. Actually my sister who is just out of her twenties has mentioned a few girlfriends getting engaged with whopping big stones so perhaps things are starting to change.

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Quite a few of you are mentioning loans to buy engagement rings, I hadn’t realised that was a thing. I wonder if couples are doing that over here is well?!

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Quite a few of you are mentioning loans to buy engagement rings, I hadn’t realised that was a thing. I wonder if couples are doing that over here is well?!

I would actually feel for young couples who do go into debt getting an engagement ring. I guess finishing uni, uni debts, trying to buy a first home, engagement ring, wedding etc are all pretty big ticket items. Marketing and the whole 3 months salary thing is partly to blame and trying to keep up with the Joneses.

Also I feel like in Australia diamonds are very overpriced and settings can be expensive. I think most of the engagement rings I've seen around my circle (mid 30s and under) were at least 10k. I don't think a lot went into debt for it but I think social media has influenced a lot of young people.

Before joining PS, I would have been one of those who wanted the forever ring at the first go. I've come to realise that upgrading is a better option :)

munchee

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I forgot to add demographics, I lived in Sydney and my friends are around 30-40yo. Maybe it also depends on the age groups and where they live? I think from my age group it got influenced by American movies too? And lately social media plays a big role?

@maryjane04 only diamonds??? I feel like everything in Ausie is overpriced :lol::lol: j/k please don’t get offended.
Also I feel like in Australia diamonds are very overpriced and settings can be expensive.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry I forgot to add demographics, I lived in Sydney and my friends are around 30-40yo. Maybe it also depends on the age groups and where they live? I think from my age group it got influenced by American movies too? And lately social media plays a big role?

@maryjane04 only diamonds??? I feel like everything in Ausie is overpriced :lol::lol: j/k please don’t get offended.

Oh no offence taken lol I totally understand. If it wasn't for PS, I wouldn't know to buy from the States and even with taxes we're still saving a heap.

Yes I agree that Australia gets influenced a lot by what we see on TV and social media lol and that's mainly from the USA.

I'm in Melbourne, but originally from Brisbane and my circle is late 20s to 40s. A recent work colleague got engaged. He bought his fiance a plain solitaire but apparently custom made (I think we have differing definitions of custom made) round brilliant cut of about 1ct for about 20k AUD and that was a bargain lol.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one I know took a loan for a ring. I’m in Chicago. I have many UK friends from cruising and most have small colored stone rings. Usually a ruby or a sapphire. One friend from Wales comes to the US a lot and upgraded her colored stone to a .75 diamond set. Most of my UK friends are 40-70.

MrsDiamondHeart

Rough_Rock

Thank you - I’ve just seen your beautiful ring, it’s a work of art. Stunning. And I can see you have another project in place, I’m excited to see how that turns out.

I think bespoke and hand fabricated settings are not common at all in the UK. I’m currently getting a reset with a simple solitaire and I feel so nervous, I can’t imagine being brave enough to do what you’re doing! This forum really is so inspiring.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Another Aussie here. I think my preference and selection of rings are indicative of what's NOT 'in' in Australia: marquise, Asscher and a 2ct oval, all set in yellow gold LOL

So much white gold/platinum these days which I think it a US influence for sure.

I definitely see a lot of halos and 1 to 1.5 ct MRBs are as big as they get for solitaires. I don't see many big stones out in the wild at shopping centres etc. but I'm sure they're visible at the right restaurants!

I live in the west which isn't as populated as Melb and Sydney but we're a reasonably wealthy demographic. I think a good majority of young couples will go to a mall store or chain for their ER.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Another Aussie here. I think my preference and selection of rings are indicative of what's NOT 'in' in Australia: marquise, Asscher and a 2ct oval, all set in yellow gold LOL

Lol I think the fact that we're on PS means we are going to have different tastes as the younger say 20-30s emerging group that's getting engaged.

We've been fortunate to be able to see what else is out there instead of the boring old solitaire :)

My parents told me not to get yellow gold as it was old fashioned lol and guess what, I got it and love it lol.

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yes, I have only ever met one person who "upgraded" in the sense of getting a 1 carat solitaire for her 40th. She still wears the original e-ring (approx 0.10-0.20ct) on her right hand. I think there is more judgement for the concept of upgrading than for any size of diamond or ring in the UK.

I am hoping I'll get away with it by calling mine an anniversary ring rather than using the incendiary word "upgrade" :shifty:

I wouldn’t mention it and I bet no one other than very close friends would comment, even if they notice. I caught one mum at school giving my hand a close side-eye look when I upgraded but no-one said a peep. To my face anyway - I’m sure it’s been commented on out of my earshot as you’re right that it’s not really the done thing here. Oh well, only one life and I’m going to live it to make me happy! :bigsmile:

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Lol I think the fact that we're on PS means we are going to have different tastes as the younger say 20-30s emerging group that's getting engaged.

We've been fortunate to be able to see what else is out there instead of the boring old solitaire :)

My parents told me not to get yellow gold as it was old fashioned lol and guess what, I got it and love it lol.

Oh very true! It's so educational here and I wish it was around when I got engaged. Having said that, I think young women are a mix of just wanting some ring on their finger, or wanting THE ring on their finger. So it's either Michael Hill or Tiffany. I think there are more clued up couples getting custom things done but that requires some serious PS education!

I looooove yellow gold. Try as I might, white metal just doesn't work for me. Even my latest ring had to be a blend of yellow and white.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't know if anyone financed their ring. I wonder if it will become more common in the UK if pressure grows to buy more costly rings, coupled with the strong sentimentality and judgement against upgrades.

I personally am a big fan of buying well within one's means. Upgrading (or just buying new rings to wear in place of the original) allows people to do this as their financial circumstances change. I think the concept of starting small and upgrading if you want / are able to is actually much more financially responsible than a young couple overstretching for an expensive ring they can't afford.

I love yellow gold and it suits my skin tone better than white metals, but it is still seen as the "old fashioned" thing in my UK backwater. I think the memory of 1980s 9ct hollow gold jewellery from the Argos catalogue still remains... (I actually loved that stuff :bigsmile:) I've noticed that delicate yellow and rose gold is much more common now internationally which will probably filter through here soon.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn’t mention it and I bet no one other than very close friends would comment, even if they notice. I caught one mum at school giving my hand a close side-eye look when I upgraded but no-one said a peep. To my face anyway - I’m sure it’s been commented on out of my earshot as you’re right that it’s not really the done thing here. Oh well, only one life and I’m going to live it to make me happy! :bigsmile:
Yes I imagine no one will notice. I wore a beautiful 0.70ct OEC in a bezel which faced up large for its size and sparkled like crazy for several years. Literally two people commented on it - both patients at work. Maybe others noticed but thought it wasn't the done thing to say.

I got loads of compliments when I wore a cheap feather necklace at uni! It seems it's acceptable to comment on unique or unusual pieces that appear inexpensive, but the British horror of Talking About Money seems to apply to complimenting diamonds...

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’ve definitely got judgement on my ring. My Mum asked me if it was from accessorise and wouldn’t believe me when I told her it was real :lol-2: I don’t wear it too much now because it feels so blingy. Hopefully a solitaire will help, I’m almost tempted to pass it off as a fake but I’m not sure I feel comfortable with that either!

Oh Meely this is sad
im sorry but shame on your mom saying that - maybe she was joking
the only person who has to love your ring is you (well and hubbie)
Dont let other take your enjoyment of your ring no matter what its size
i think wearing a bigger blingier ring can be a confidence thing - and you know what they say about confidence ?
If you fake it long enough the confidence will become real

So put that ring on, have your favourite sassy song in your head and strut that pretty thing !

You wanna hear mine ?
I listen to this all over town

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in Wiltshire, and the offerings in the medium size town where I live is limited to MRB solitaires, 3-stones and clusters, with the Princess and other cuts making an appearance from time to time.

There was an EC of about 1ct some time ago, smaller and lesser spec than mine and cost a lot more!

In the bigger town nearby, it has more high street/mall jewellery shops and I see more illusion set rings on offer.

If I were to find bling eye candies, I would have to go to the nearest city which is Bath to ogle at their offerings in the windows.

Mainly white metals, whereas yellow gold for CSs seems to be the norm.

DK :))

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

All the mall jewlers have financed here and the salespeople push the the per week price
They usually have a generous no interest, no repayment period then they sting the interest at about 25% p/annum
My workmate took 7 years to pay one off -im under the impression its a nice size and he did buy her an ultrasonic
Most rings i see are modest
Older ladies seem to have the big ones here

I see lots of halos in the shops and soliters

i don't know anyone recently engaged but Gary's DIL said her son brought a grey diamond for his fiancee

Personally princess is always my favourite
My sister got married early 2000's, she has a pave ER (don't feel sorry for her, she has mum's ER - back in the 60s it must have been huge !

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@MillieLou you’re right about getting compliments on cheap pieces! It’s odd.

I wonder if upgrading would become more common here if more people bought online and had access to overseas vendors with upgrade policies in place? Or if a WF equivalent starting operating in the U.K. with similar upgrade policies. I know we have access to Blue Nile but they are more restrictive I think and require a much larger upgrade investment, which probably puts a lot of people here off using it.

Plenty of photos when you get your upgrade, please! Us PSer Brits will definitely comment and compliment!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh very true! It's so educational here and I wish it was around when I got engaged. Having said that, I think young women are a mix of just wanting some ring on their finger, or wanting THE ring on their finger. So it's either Michael Hill or Tiffany. I think there are more clued up couples getting custom things done but that requires some serious PS education!

I looooove yellow gold. Try as I might, white metal just doesn't work for me. Even my latest ring had to be a blend of yellow and white.

I'll love yellow gold till i die

i think a bride needs what she likes

The worst advice my mother would admit to ever giving me was don't buy diamonds when i went to South Africa in '92 with i had bucket loads of cash and an excellent exchange rate

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my own social and work circles, my 1.19ct EC is by far the biggest, hence I feel very self-conscious when I wear it, and had a ring made with a 0.47ct EC for everyday wear instead.

The big EC and the nicer and bigger CSs come out whenever I dress up for an occasion. Nowadays a meal at a nicer restaurant counts as a nice event!

DK :lol-2:

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
I actually already have my upgrade, though too shy / paranoid to start a thread! I'll just keep it to a quick peek here for you guys. 1.3ct K VVS2 EC, medium blue fluor, in a basic WG setting from Blue Nile. Size 4. Modelled by a 7 year old (who already has bigger hands than me...) perched on a cat! IMG_20210228_102627718.jpg

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
I actually already have my upgrade, though too shy / paranoid to start a thread! I'll just keep it to a quick peek here for you guys. 1.3ct K VVS2 EC, medium blue fluor, in a basic WG setting from Blue Nile. Size 4. Modelled by a 7 year old (who already has bigger hands than me...) perched on a cat! IMG_20210228_102627718.jpg

That's so beautiful. What a classic set lol your 7 year old will grow up lusting over this set haha. Start em young!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It needs to have its own SMTB thread, from one EC lover to another!

DK :kiss2:

MrsDiamondHeart

Rough_Rock

This is so beautiful! I love emerald cuts, they’re so classy and this is super. I think it’s definitely worthy of its own thread. It also looks huge.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, not having been anywhere or seen anyone for nearly a year, I can only speak to my friends 2 kids who’ve recently married.

Her son’s wife has a 1.1 ct emerald cut on a plain band, with a diamond wedding band, and her daughter has a half carat round in a fairly ornate setting with pave, and again a diamond wedding band.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Haha. Thanks guys. I am a terrible photographer but it is just gorgeous in real life.

Oops I appear to have derailed my own thread ;-) Now where were we?!

@dk168 I am interested that you have a similar sized EC and found it was too much for everyday. Did anyone say anything or did you just feel uncomfortable?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Well, not having been anywhere or seen anyone for nearly a year, I can only speak to my friends 2 kids who’ve recently married.

Her son’s wife has a 1.1 ct emerald cut on a plain band, with a diamond wedding band, and her daughter has a half carat round in a fairly ornate setting with pave, and again a diamond wedding band.

That's interesting -both rings sound gorgeous and seem in keeping with the perception of UK rings among the newly engaged getting bigger / more fancy than solitaires and plain bands.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW none of my friends said anything when I got Bella, I literally went from not having an ER to 4.56 cts :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results