shape
carat
color
clarity

Two blue spinels on the way

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Well, it looks like I'm probably going to end up selling or returning both of my stones. Both of them are just too big (tall, mainly) for me to design a ring around that I like. Even going as low as we can get it (my designer is Phil Lagas-Rivera) the ring still sits way too high for my liking.
I'm going to have to go to not only a smaller stone, but also an entirely different cut altogether. Maybe an emerald cut or some variation - a cut that has a lower profile, whatever that turns out to be.
I'm sad about this, as those spinels are beautiful. sad :((

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, often colored gemstones are cut deeper anyway, and if you're looking at a 10x8 or so, that ends up being quite a big stone.

Is it possible you could go with a smaller rectangle stone, like an 8x6mm, and still get the look you want? For sure it'd be easier to go low-profile... maybe see if Jerry has anything in stock he could send your way just to check out on your hand?

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
What a shame! Can Phil cut you a stone to suit? A step cut may have the low profile you are after.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
@marymm and @clumberlove - Yes, I'm in conversation with Scott Laborie about what we can do. I'm hoping he will let me return my stone to him as a deposit for something else. His computer simulations show that for each 1mm step down in size, in the same cut, the pavilion depth decreases by 0.5mm, so a step down to an 8x6 in the same cut would only result in a 1 mm decrease in pavilion depth - which is not a noticeable amount. So, I'll likely have to switch to an entirely different cut altogether in addition to stepping down in size. But that's OK - we'll find something that works eventually. So far from what I can tell, emerald-cuts are about the shallowest cuts.
I've asked Jerry what his return policy is, but haven't heard back yet.
As an artisan myself (I do leatherwork, mostly holsters and belts), I can appreciate the frustration with making something for someone and then them wanting to send it back.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Booo that is sad :( hopefully Scott or even some other cutter can help you find a compromise and a lovely new stone that you love!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how cool is that! Sounds like it should work perfectly for your ring setting. Looking forward to your pics & comments after you receive it next week.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Just a follow-up, y'all. Scott is recutting my stone to an 8x6 mm rectangular shaped stone with a step-cut on the table and sort of a radiant pavilion. I should receive it sometime next week.
That's amazing! I can't wait to see how it looks!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Just a follow-up, y'all. Scott is recutting my stone to an 8x6 mm rectangular shaped stone with a step-cut on the table and sort of a radiant pavilion. I should receive it sometime next week.

That sounds great! Hopefully that will make it low enough for your project :mrgreen2:

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Any news on your stone?? XD

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results