shape
carat
color
clarity

Two blue spinels on the way

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
This is about the best I can do. Sitting atop my wedding band. It looks like just the right size to me.
20190111_134436.jpg

Wow! Very beautiful! Looks good on you!

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The size looks perfect and I love the shade of blue! Looking forward to seeing the other stone!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Thank you.
Yes, this one is perfect, but will likely require a custom designed setting because of its semi-oval shape.
The one from Scott Laborie is a true rectangle and I should be able to set it in a stock setting like this one from Stuller. I'm not sure how much money that will save me, but I will wait until I see the stones and talked to a couple of jewelers to see what's what before I make a decision on either stone.
Stuller.jpeg

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
The stone you've already got is gorgeous! I'm really looking forward to seeing the comparison when the other one arrives :mrgreen2:

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I can't wait to see the two together, S-G! Jerrys looks fantastic! I'm glad you like the synthetic spinel, I thought it might be just perfect for you!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Thanks C-D and Clumber.
Yes, I'm looking forward to seeing them side-by-side also. If the second one is as pretty as this I will have a difficult decision to make.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
My second stone arrived today! Cut by Scott Laborie. I really like it too. It's ever so slightly a little darker shade of blue than the one cut by Jerry Newman. It's going to be a difficult decision which stone to keep. They are equal, but different - if that makes any sense. It's dark here now, so these pictures were taken indoors under my white LED workbench lights.
20190112_182818.jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Can you take an on the hand with your wedding ring like you did with Jerrys stone? My gut response is the darker blue and the cut make the 2nd stone more masculine, but I'm curious how it looks on your finger! I'm glad you like them both!

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
I find myself more drawn to the darker squarer one, it seems to pull my eyes to it! It would be nice to see in daylight though. They're both beautiful stones though! :kiss2:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Can you take an on the hand with your wedding ring like you did with Jerrys stone? My gut response is the darker blue and the cut make the 2nd stone more masculine, but I'm curious how it looks on your finger! I'm glad you like them both!
Here ya go, C-D - both pictures taken tonight under the same lighting. 20190112_202601.jpg
20190112_202642.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Difficult to get them to sit straight and also to get the light the same on both of them. In the pictures above, the top picture is the darker, more squarish stone.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Stone #2 is also gorgeous! This will be a tough decision for you :))

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Stone #2 is also gorgeous! This will be a tough decision for you :))
Yeah, I'm already leaning towards Stone #2 also. It measures 8.26 mm wide, though, and the stock setting from Stuller that I posted above is for an 8x10 calibrated stone so I'm not sure it's going to fit in it. If not, then that means a custom setting is at hand.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
S-G I think I like that new stone even better. It really is very interesting, makes you just keep looking at it. Of course I hope you post pics in sunlight tomorrow =)2

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Keep in mind a stock setting usually has a little leeway, like it says 8mm, but will fit 7.8 to 8.2mm. I would talk to a jeweler about it.

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
I find myself more drawn to the darker squarer one, it seems to pull my eyes to it! It would be nice to see in daylight though. They're both beautiful stones though! :kiss2:
I'll get some daylight pix tomorrow.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Wow they do both look amazing!! I can see why the choice is so hard! Scott did a great job with this one!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Wow they do both look amazing!! I can see why the choice is so hard! Scott did a great job with this one!
Yes, he did. A few of the meets on the top aren't perfect, but he pointed that out to me beforehand and it doesn't affect any of the brilliance from what I can tell. You have to know they are there and be looking for them to tell, though.

On the contrary, Jerry's cut is flawless on his stone from what I can tell.

anangel

Brilliant_Rock
I really love stone number 2! The shape, the color - can't wait to see which one you keep.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah Jerry's cutting is definitely amazing! I would probably want to keep both if it was me lol. 2 rings are better than 1! But admittedly I am terrible at making decisions. I think with more years cutting Scott will improve a ton.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
They both look gorgeous! Now I see them on the hand I think I still like Scott's a little more, because it seems a brighter blue. Jerry's stone feels slightly steelier, maybe with a touch of purple or grey. Both absolutely beautiful though. What a tough decision! So tempting to keep both :twisted2:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
They both look gorgeous! Now I see them on the hand I think I still like Scott's a little more, because it seems a brighter blue. Jerry's stone feels slightly steelier, maybe with a touch of purple or grey. Both absolutely beautiful though. What a tough decision! So tempting to keep both :twisted2:
Yep, Scott's is going to stay. I will likely sell the other one soon, if anyone is interested. ;-) @CHRISTY-DANIELLE,

But before I go ahead with my ring, I'm already looking at another colored stone - a lab Paraiba colored beryl. This gemstone stuff is a sickness. s-l640.jpg

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and I apologize for such godawful pictures of my chapped hands. I had just finished doing a drywall repair job and that drywall compound dries my hands and cuticles out something fierce!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Oh, wow, I didn't know lab paraiba existed! I love the color! That stone is a little softer material though, definetly wouldn't hang drywall with that on!
If you don't mind, if you go to a website called Diamond Bistro, go to >loose stones. >Julia B oec and "contact seller" that will send me an email so we can discuss Jerrys stone. :lol:

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Oh, wow, I didn't know lab paraiba existed! I love the color! That stone is a little softer material though, definetly wouldn't hang drywall with that on!
If you don't mind, if you go to a website called Diamond Bistro, go to >loose stones. >Julia B oec and "contact seller" that will send me an email so we can discuss Jerrys stone. :lol:

Yeah, it shows it as a 7.5 on the Mohs scale, so I'm not sure how well that will work. I may purchase a chunk of it and have Scott cut me a stone out of it just to see what it looks like. Heck, no more than the synth. costs, I could have me a new stone made every few years or so. LOL

Message sent, C-D.

clumberlove

Shiny_Rock
Yep, Scott's is going to stay. I will likely sell the other one soon, if anyone is interested. ;-) @CHRISTY-DANIELLE,

But before I go ahead with my ring, I'm already looking at another colored stone - a lab Paraiba colored beryl. This gemstone stuff is a sickness. s-l640.jpg

They do draw you in don't they! Paraiba especially is a sickness I think ;)2

So much beauty in these tiny stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, it shows it as a 7.5 on the Mohs scale, so I'm not sure how well that will work. I may purchase a chunk of it and have Scott cut me a stone out of it just to see what it looks like. Heck, no more than the synth. costs, I could have me a new stone made every few years or so. LOL

Message sent, C-D.
Please get some and show me how it looks once cut! I'd love to see it bc I've been considering doing the same thing!!

SouthernGent

Shiny_Rock
Please get some and show me how it looks once cut! I'd love to see it bc I've been considering doing the same thing!!
Sadly, Scott says that the syn. beryl pieces are usually very thin, around 5mm, and that he would only be able to get about a 4x6mm stone out of it, max. That's not going to work for me. :(

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sadly, Scott says that the syn. beryl pieces are usually very thin, around 5mm, and that he would only be able to get about a 4x6mm stone out of it, max. That's not going to work for me. :(
:(:(

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results