shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'm sure he felt very deeply about it. Or maybe just as he prefers soldiers who weren't captured, he prefers soldiers who weren't killed. Words. Matter. You don't just get to say things and then expect everyone to have collective amnesia about it.

Attachments

• IMG_2122.JPG
    IMG_2122.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 16

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah I'm sure he felt very deeply about it. Or maybe just as he prefers soldiers who weren't captured, he prefers soldiers who weren't killed. Words. Matter. You don't just get to say things and then expect everyone to have collective amnesia about it.
I was talking about Obama.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An article from today's Chicago Tribune (which I think is actually a repost of an article from August 2016 based on the date): http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...heart-george-bush-perspec-20160803-story.html

Why George W. Bush stood there and took the wrath of a soldier's mom. Listen up, Donald Trump.

News of America's military men and women who were wounded and killed in Iraq and Afghanistan almost overwhelmed me on some days. I may have sounded strong when I was talking to the press, but sometimes I had to push my feelings way down in order to get any words out of my mouth to make statements and answer questions.

The hardest days were when President Bush went to visit the wounded or families of the fallen. If it was tough for me, you can only imagine what it was like for the families and for a president who knew that his decisions led his troops into battles where they fought valiantly but were severely injured or lost their lives. He regularly visited patients at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center near the White House. These stops were unannounced because of security concerns and hassles for the hospital staff that come with a full-blown presidential visit.

One morning in 2005, White House Press Secretary Scott McClellan sent me in his place to visit the wounded warriors. It was my first time for that particular assignment, and I was nervous about how the visits would go. The president was scheduled to see 25 patients at Walter Reed. Many of them had traumatic brain injuries and were in very serious, sometimes critical, condition. Despite getting the best treatment available in the world, we knew that some would not survive.

We started in the intensive care unit. The chief of naval operations (CNO) briefed the president on our way into the hospital about the first patient we'd see. He was a young Marine who had been injured when his Humvee was hit by a roadside bomb. After his rescue, he was flown to the U.S. military's Landstuhl Regional Medical Center, close to the Ramstein Air Base near Kaiserslautern, Germany. At his bedside were his parents, wife and 5-year-old son.

"What's his prognosis?" the president asked.

"Well, we don't know, sir, because he's not opened his eyes since he arrived, so we haven't been able to communicate with him. But no matter what, Mr. President, he has a long road ahead of him," the CNO said.

We had to wear masks because of the risk of infection to the patient. I watched carefully to see how the family would react to President Bush, and I was worried that they might be mad at him and blame him for their loved one's situation. But I was wrong. The family was so excited the president had come. They gave him big hugs and thanked him over and over. Then they wanted to get a photo. So he gathered them all in front of Eric Draper, the White House photographer. Bush asked, "Is everybody smiling?" But they all had ICU masks on. A light chuckle ran through the room as everyone got the joke.

The Marine was intubated. The president talked quietly with the family at the foot of the patient's bed. I looked up at the ceiling so that I could hold back tears.

After he visited with them for a bit, the president turned to the military aide and said, "OK, let's do the presentation." The wounded warrior was being awarded the Purple Heart, given to service members who suffer wounds in combat.

Everyone stood silently while the military aide in a low and steady voice presented the award. At the end of it, the Marine's little boy tugged on the president's jacket and asked, "What's a Purple Heart?"

The president got down on one knee and pulled the little boy closer to him. He said, "It's an award for your dad, because he is very brave and courageous, and because he loves his country so much. And I hope you know how much he loves you and your mom too."

As he hugged the boy, there was a commotion from the medical staff as they moved toward the bed.

The Marine had just opened his eyes. I could see him from where I stood.

The CNO held the medical team back and said, "Hold on, guys. I think he wants the president."

The president jumped up and rushed over to the side of the bed. He cupped the Marine's face in his hands. They locked eyes, and after a couple of moments the president, without breaking eye contact, said to the military aide, "Read it again."

So we stood silently as the military aide presented the Marine with the medal for a second time. The president had tears dripping from his eyes onto the Marine's face. As the presentation ended, the president rested his forehead on the Marine's for a moment. Now everyone was crying, and for so many reasons: the sacrifice, the pain and suffering, the love of country, the belief in the mission and the witnessing of a relationship between a soldier and his commander in chief that the rest of us could never fully grasp. (In writing this book, I contacted several military aides who helped me track down the name of the Marine. I hoped for news that he had survived. He did not. He died during surgery six days after the president's visit. He is buried at Arlington National Cemetery and is survived by his wife and their three children.)

And that was just the first patient we saw. For the rest of the visit to the hospital that day, almost every family had the same reaction of joy when they saw the president. But there were exceptions. One mom and dad of a dying soldier from the Caribbean were devastated, the mom beside herself with grief. She yelled at the president, wanting to know why it was her child and not his who lay in that hospital bed. Her husband tried to calm her, and I noticed the president wasn't in a hurry to leave — he tried offering comfort but then just stood and took it, like he expected and needed to hear the anguish, to try to soak up some of her suffering if he could.

Later, as we rode back on Marine One to the White House, no one spoke.

But as the helicopter took off, the president looked at me and said, "That mama sure was mad at me." Then he turned to look out the window of the helicopter. "And I don't blame her a bit."

One tear slipped out the side of his eye and down his face. He didn't wipe it away, and we flew back to the White House.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you @Dee*Jay. I like Dana Perino and she loves GW. He is a very good man.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Wow. Thank you for sharing, Dee Jay.

Bush took it, and Obama too, I'm sure, because they were able to empathize with the families. To truly understand the pain those grieving were feeling. I don't think Trump is capable, and that's probably what I find (above all else) scariest about him as a leader, because it is ESSENTIAL in such a position.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump has no empathy, compassion and is unable to show anything resembling sympathy. Trump should not be allowed to speak to Gold Star families.

He spoke on the phone to the widow of La David Johnson as she was driving to meet her husband's casket. This poor young woman is 6 mos pregnant and has two small children. Trump told the young widow "He knew what he signed up for" The Florida State Rep Frederica Wilson was in the car at the time. She could not believe what the president said to this poor woman.

They showed La David Johnson's widow as she met the casket with her 6 year old next to her. It was one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen.

Last edited:

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They should not have Trump speak to these Gold Star families, or comfort the families of wounded and slain soldiers. They should have a General or someone who understands the training, duty, and sacrifice these soldiers showed while serving under the line of duty. I don't think Trump understands.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard about what he said as I was driving to work this AM, and I thought "of course he's going to deny it - he denies saying things that are ON CAMERA and calling them fake news".
So heartbreaking for this widow to have to hear that shit.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh wait....
but-her-emails-tic-toc-9965722.png

or has he finally moved on from emails considering what his daughter and son-in-law did?

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't even imagine what that poor woman as been through and to have to hear Trumps remarks. Trump didn't even know the soldiers name. He is a disgrace. Just when you think he can't sink this low, he manages to out do himself and go lower.

Trump will be speaking in a few moments. What do you want to bet he will be reading from a Telepromter? It is impossible for him to show empathy, compassion or sympathy.

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't even imagine what that poor woman as been through and to have to hear Trumps remarks. Trump didn't even know the soldiers name. He is a disgrace. Just when you think he can't sink this low, he manages to out do himself and go lower.

Trump will be speaking in a few moments. What do you want to bet he will be reading from a Telepromter? It is impossible for him to show empathy, compassion or sympathy.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I fail to see why everyone is so surprised by Trump's missteps. He is simply acting the way he has been for 30 years; a cursory look at his statements and business practices would have revealed that. More alarming to me is the misogyny of our country and its racial divisions, the two elements that when combined assured Trump's election.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Heaven help this country, because the Cheeto is certainly doing his best to destroy us!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Trump told the young widow "He knew what he signed up for" The Florida State Rep Frederica Wilson was in the car at the time. She could not believe what the president said to this poor woman.
Her and Maxine Waters would be a perfect pair to represent the Dem. party in 2020.
For all the left wingers here ...

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is Lawrence O'Donnell's excellent reply to Kelly's disgusting defense of Trump's "bravery" and Kell'y racist attack on Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson, not calling her by her name or title and referring to her as "an empty barrel". This is worth watching. He evokes their shared youth in white, Catholic, male-dominated Boston before the integration of the schools. A time Kelly invokes with nostalgia, but which was actually one in which women were beaten by alcoholic husbands and told by their parish priests that they had to take it for the sake of the children because they they couldn't get divorces or they would be excommunicated.

Lawrence O'Donnell...

Last edited:

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for post @AGBF that was my mothers story. As if God would want any woman to endure that and have your children be witness to it.

@Dancing Fire, I feel badly that Kelly lost his son. I can't imagine anything more awful than losing a child. He tried to clean up Trumps mess when he should have made Trump act like a damn adult and deal with it. None of the sh$t storm we saw yesterday would have happened if for once in his damn life Trump acted like a decent human being. All the man had to do was call the family and apologize. Express sympathy for their terrible loss and leti them know he could not imagine the pain they are feeling. He needed to say his words came out differently than he had intended and just say he was sorry. Trumps failure to act like a human being was the problem.

99% of the people in our country knows it would be terrible to call the family and offer condolences. Trump should have called and apologized after he found out his words hurt the wife and mother of the soldier. His saying publically that he was sorry would have gone a long way in public opinion. Instead he lies, tweets and calls a greiving family liars

In my eyes, Kelly's speech yesterday proved what the congresswoman said was true. There was no reason for him to say what he said about her. If the family wanted her with them, she should have been with them. Kelly never even said he was sorry to La David Johnson's family but used the time to attack the congresswoman Wilson. That was wrong.

I loved Bush and Obama's comments yesterday. Found it interesting that Fox News didn't seem to think they were talking about Trump.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock

This is what really struck me. I understand not being good at comforting people, but to not even bother to learn Sargeant Johnson's (or show the widow that he cared enough to learn her husband's) name... That alone would make me feel disrespected.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is Lawrence O'Donnell's excellent reply to Kelly's disgusting defense of Trump's "bravery" and Kell'y racist attack on Congresswoman Frederica S. Wilson, not calling her by her name or title and referring to her as "an empty barrel". This is worth watching. He evokes their shared youth in white, Catholic, male-dominated Boston before the integration of the schools. A time Kelly invokes with nostalgia, but which was actually one in which women were beaten by alcoholic husbands and told by their parish priests that they had to take it for the sake of the children because they they couldn't get divorces or they would be excommunicated.

Lawrence O'Donnell...

Lawrence O'Donnell is a partisan hack in "news" clothing. Empty barrel means "ignorance" and stretching it to racism is disgusting. Frankly this whole effing thing politicizing the death of a soldier is so utterly disgusting that I cannot stand it any longer. Everyone is to blame and I had hoped that Gen. Kelly's speech yesterday would put an end to the BS in the news. But oh no that sick congresswoman using this family doubled down and now all the others jumping on as well. Sick farking disgusting people. They can all kiss my rosy red a$$. Trump should have shut up as well.

None of this is directed at you Deb. But I am pissed.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lawrence O'Donnell is a partisan hack in "news" clothing. Empty barrel means "ignorance" and stretching it to racism is disgusting. Frankly this whole effing thing politicizing the death of a soldier is so utterly disgusting that I cannot stand it any longer. Everyone is to blame and I had hoped that Gen. Kelly's speech yesterday would put an end to the BS in the news. But oh no that sick congresswoman using this family doubled down and now all the others jumping on as well. Sick farking disgusting people. They can all kiss my rosy red a$$. Trump should have shut up as well.

None of this is directed at you Deb. But I am pissed.

And I am not upset with you, red, but I am disgusted with Kelly. He was noble in what he said about the process of how next of kin are notified, and very dignified. As I have come to expect him to be. But I saw him as the partisan hack, stooping to a low of which I had not envisioned such a man capable, when he defended the indefensible in speaking for Trump against the black Gold Star Family and the Congresswoman they had invited into their car. Shame on him!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Video proves that Kelly lied about Congresswoman Wilson's speech:

"WASHINGTON — Representative Frederica S. Wilson said on Friday that President Trump’s chief of staff had lied about her role in a 2015 dedication ceremony for a federal building, escalating the back-and-forth jabs between her and the White House that started over a condolence call the president made to the wife of a fallen soldier.

'He can’t just go on TV and lie on me,' Ms. Wilson said on CNN, referring to John F. Kelly, the White House chief of staff. 'I was not even in Congress in 2009 when the money for the building was secured.'

'How dare he,' Ms. Wilson, a Florida Democrat, said.

On Thursday, Mr. Kelly said he had been 'stunned' to hear Ms. Wilson use the ceremony to claim credit for securing the funding for the new building. But a video of her speech at the ceremony showed that Mr. Kelly’s recollection was wrong. She did not take credit for securing the money; she did spent about two minutes of her approximately nine-minute speech speaking about the legislative effort she had led to name the building after two F.B.I. agents who died in a shootout in 1986."

We need more Lawrence O'Donnells who expose the Kellys. So who's the hack? The liar or O'Donnell?

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And I am not upset with you, red, but I am disgusted with Kelly. He was noble in what he said about the process of how next of kin are notified, and very dignified. As I have come to expect him to be. But I saw him as the partisan hack, stooping to a low of which I had not envisioned such a man capable, when he defended the indefensible in speaking for Trump against the black Gold Star Family and the Congresswoman they had invited into their car. Shame on him!

Deb/AGBF

Nope. Not going to put race in this one. Are you suggesting that Trump had a completely different intent in his call with the other 3 families because they are white? No I see this partisan hack of a woman using this family and Kelly calling her on it. We will agree to disagree on this one. I will admit that Kelly should have left the Florida FBI thing out of it but will also say that he is angry at the politicization of this particular death. Why nothing from any of the 3 families? Because they are grieving and have no agenda.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results