shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, sorry for the short/curt reply. But when people try to correct me on things that fall into my literal profession, I don't take it kindly.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, sorry for the short/curt reply. But when people try to correct me on things that fall into my literal profession, I Lodon't take it kindly.

Color me confused? Why are you sorry? This literally is what I am doing lol!
edited to say: and I thought it was funny kind of like I was a live "meme"

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Color me confused? Why are you sorry? This literally is what I am doing lol!
haha damn internet and tone not coming across. I meant, "sorry for potentially starting something that requires popcorn. I know I should ignore stupid posts but these ones get me riled up"

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
haha apparently people think they are experts because they can google. I can google too!!! And look-y here what I found:

All of those words at one point were used to describe people who we would now refer to as having "intellectual disability". However, they were not offensive, they were used as a descriptor, just like "mental retardation" was up until a few years ago. But nice try, thanks for playing!

If you mean by expert that my sweet Nephew has Down syndrome and I heard all the hateful whispers behind his back, from adults no less, then yes.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
haha damn internet and tone not coming across. I meant, "sorry for potentially starting something that requires popcorn. I know I should ignore stupid posts but these ones get me riled up"

Did you see my edit..I amuse myself :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you mean by expert that my sweet Nephew has Down syndrome and I heard all the hateful whispers behind his back, from adults no less, then yes.
No, that doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a family member of someone with Downs syndrome, which does not imply expertise. You are entirely changing the subject, which I take it to mean you've realized you were wrong.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I'm sure everyone's seen this, but I think it bears posting here.

Screen Shot 2017-03-30 at 20.25.55.png
I never heard about that until yesterday. I think I might love him now.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Omg I just found this: http://ideas.ted.com/20-words-that-once-meant-something-very-different/

The way language evolves is truly fascinating.
I am now offended by the word "nice."
tenor.gif

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
No, that doesn't make you an expert. It makes you a family member of someone with Downs syndrome, which does not imply expertise. You are entirely changing the subject, which I take it to mean you've realized you were wrong.

Could I see your credentials, again, please?

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
HAPPILY! Phd in Psychology, Licensed clinical psychologist, Assistant Professor at Research 1 university, Asst. Director of clinic for individuals with developmental disabilities.

And yours are....?
Seriously.

Let us change the tone just a bit because I am impressed and interested at what you have to say.

My daughter just graduated from college and majored in psychology. Before applying to graduate school they want you to have a lot of experience. And from what she is seeing a lot apply but only few are taken.

Right now she is working at an affiliate of Brown University on the study of taking anxiety medication when you are pregnant.

On April 8th she is taking the GRE in psychology. Graduated summa cum laude from Providence College. And she got really good scores on her MCATs.

Now she is applying to graduate school.

Any suggestions and anything else she should be doing.

Do you have any favorite Grad school programs on the East Coast?

And again I am impressed with your credentials.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HAPPILY! Phd in Psychology, Licensed clinical psychologist, Assistant Professor at Research 1 university, Asst. Director of clinic for individuals with developmental disabilities.

And yours are....?

Lovedogs, I swear if you were here I'd kiss you right now!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously.

Let us change the tone just a bit because I am impressed and interested at what you have to say.

My daughter just graduated from college and majored in psychology. Before applying to graduate school they want you to have a lot of experience. And from what she is seeing a lot apply but only few are taken.

Right now she is working at an affiliate of Brown University on the study of taking anxiety medication when you are pregnant.

On April 8th she is taking the GRE in psychology. Graduated summa cum laude from Providence College. And she got really good scores on her MCATs.

Now she is applying to graduate school.

Any suggestions and anything else she should be doing.

Do you have any favorite Grad school programs on the East Coast?

And again I am impressed with your credentials.

Does she have a sense of whether she wants to go into Clinical Psych vs. Developmental Psych vs. other? I think that makes a big difference in terms of what I'd recommend she do next. Those different types of PhD programs look for different types of experience (and I know more about some types of programs than others just based on what I studied and the types of programs I applied to).

It's great that she's getting research experience--that's a huge thing that grad programs look for, so she's already on the right track with that.

Is she taking the MCAT because she might want to go into Medicine or Psychiatry? Unfortunately I know significantly less about what it takes to get into medical school because that's not what I (or others in my program) did.

But yeah, it is true that lots of people apply to grad programs and significantly less get accepted. But the things she's already doing will significantly increase her chances of acceptance. The other really important thing (if she's applying to Psych PhD programs, since that's what I'm familiar with) is that she applies based on her research interests. A PhD is a research degree at its core, so faculty want to see that applicants have an idea of what research they'd like to do, and that they're applying to programs who have faculty members doing that type of research. So for example, if your daughter is interested in anxiety disorders, then she should be focusing on programs who have faculty doing research on anxiety, and she should send those faculty members emails to introduce herself, tell them what kind of research she wants to do, and ask if they are taking students next year (or the year after--whenever she's going to apply). Most Psych PhD programs work very differently than college in that you get admitted to work w. a specific advisor (rather than getting admitted generally like you do in college). So if your daughter makes connections with researchers that she wants to work with and have advise her, she has a HUGE advantage for applications.

I genuinely hope this helps and I wish her the best!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Does she have a sense of whether she wants to go into Clinical Psych vs. Developmental Psych vs. other? I think that makes a big difference in terms of what I'd recommend she do next. Those different types of PhD programs look for different types of experience (and I know more about some types of programs than others just based on what I studied and the types of programs I applied to).

It's great that she's getting research experience--that's a huge thing that grad programs look for, so she's already on the right track with that.

Is she taking the MCAT because she might want to go into Medicine or Psychiatry? Unfortunately I know significantly less about what it takes to get into medical school because that's not what I (or others in my program) did.

But yeah, it is true that lots of people apply to grad programs and significantly less get accepted. But the things she's already doing will significantly increase her chances of acceptance. The other really important thing (if she's applying to Psych PhD programs, since that's what I'm familiar with) is that she applies based on her research interests. A PhD is a research degree at its core, so faculty want to see that applicants have an idea of what research they'd like to do, and that they're applying to programs who have faculty members doing that type of research. So for example, if your daughter is interested in anxiety disorders, then she should be focusing on programs who have faculty doing research on anxiety, and she should send those faculty members emails to introduce herself, tell them what kind of research she wants to do, and ask if they are taking students next year (or the year after--whenever she's going to apply). Most Psych PhD programs work very differently than college in that you get admitted to work w. a specific advisor (rather than getting admitted generally like you do in college). So if your daughter makes connections with researchers that she wants to work with and have advise her, she has a HUGE advantage for applications.

I genuinely hope this helps and I wish her the best!

Thank you for all the wonderful information, Love Dogs. I do appreciate it.

In following her path, I know how difficult it is to get your foot in the door, so my KUDOS to you.

Yes, she wants to go into clinical psychology and work with anxiety disorders in children.

She does not want to become an MD because she wants to go the talk therapy route rather than dispense medication.

Yes, thankfully she found a great site that explained and stressed the importance of experience. She and I both work on the Samaritan hot line as volunteers.

She has volunteered at various hospitals since she was 15, including Butler and Bradley, which is for children with psychological disorders. And she has been working on this latest study grant for the last few years, but it will soon be coming to an end.

She has also co authored two papers and has gone to several places to help present them. She is also working closely with a Post Doc(sp?)

Her MCCATS are only good for 5 years and they were extremely high, so with that and the grant ending it is now time for her to apply to as many programs as feasible.

She is working with 2 people who are pretty known in their fields and just got an excellent evaluation from each.

And thank you for the added information and you are so correct that applying to grad school is so different than applying to college.

I have printed your response out and am giving it to my daughter when she comes home from work.

Again, thank you so much and your advice is very appreciated.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for all the wonderful information, Love Dogs. I do appreciate it.

In following her path, I know how difficult it is to get your foot in the door, so my KUDOS to you.

Yes, she wants to go into clinical psychology and work with anxiety disorders in children.

She does not want to become an MD because she wants to go the talk therapy route rather than dispense medication.

Yes, thankfully she found a great site that explained and stressed the importance of experience. She and I both work on the Samaritan hot line as volunteers.

She has volunteered at various hospitals since she was 15, including Butler and Bradley, which is for children with psychological disorders. And she has been working on this latest study grant for the last few years, but it will soon be coming to an end.

She has also co authored two papers and has gone to several places to help present them. She is also working closely with a Post Doc(sp?)

Her MCCATS are only good for 5 years and they were extremely high, so with that and the grant ending it is now time for her to apply to as many programs as feasible.

She is working with 2 people who are pretty known in their fields and just got an excellent evaluation from each.

And thank you for the added information and you are so correct that applying to grad school is so different than applying to college.

I have printed your response out and am giving it to my daughter when she comes home from work.

Again, thank you so much and your advice is very appreciated.

Wow, co-authoring 2 papers before grad school is HUGE, and presenting them at conferences is really impressive as well. She stands a very good chance of getting into places she wants based on her experience, good letters of rec from people well known in the field, and strong research experience.

I think she'll be a really competitive applicant based on the stuff she's already done. Good for her (and you!) for doing so much to put her in a good position for applying to schools.

I'm sure your daughter has schools and programs she's interested in based on her specific interests and goals, but FWIW in terms of east coast programs I've heard that Stony Brook has a good clinical program and strong faculty interest in anxiety disorders, Vanderbilt has a highly regarded program as well and I believe faculty who study anxiety. Finally, I know Virginia Tech has a strong clinical program, but I'm not sure about faculty members who study anxiety specifically.

If she has specific questions I'm happy to help answer them off the board, or if I can be helpful in any other way.

Regardless of whether you and I get along politically and on the PS forums I'm always happy to help someone's child/give career advice, etc.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Stony Brook - that is New York. I believe she has that on the list.

Vanderbilt - I will have to ask her.

Also a school on Long Island, but I cannot remember the name. Hofstra, maybe

UConn in Connecticut.

Also Boston College.

I heard her mention Clark University in Worcester, MA.

And even as far away as Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

URI in our home state of RI would be economically the cheapest.

But you are so right that it is more about the specific program then staying close to home.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stony Brook - that is New York. I believe she has that on the list.

Vanderbilt - I will have to ask her.

Also a school on Long Island, but I cannot remember the name. Hofstra, maybe

UConn in Connecticut.

Also Boston College.

I heard her mention Clark University in Worcester, MA.

And even as far away as Emory University in Atlanta, Georgia.

URI in our home state of RI would be economically the cheapest.

But you are so right that it is more about the specific program then staying close to home.
If she's going into a PhD program they will pay her to be in school--there will be zero cost to her or your family :) So no worries about that!

EDIT: all the schools you named are strong programs, so the next step should be writing professors from those schools to see if they are taking students, tell them about herself, etc.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Oh my god, you guys. This was apparently just a segment on FOX, and proudly :lol: tweeted by Dan Scavino Jr., Tweeto's social media director. I almost spit out what I was drinking in the few seconds 'digesting' it.

:lol::lol::lol:

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 6.46.27 PM.png

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful report showing what President Obama inherited (and that is what's truly shown in the first quarter of his presidency as he didn't have enough time to impact those numbers, with the exception of potentially consumer confidence, in any meaningful way -- nor would any president) vs. the tremendously improved scenario he left us with as shown in the first quarter report of Chump's presidency.

Last edited:

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An article on consumer confidence under Chump from cnnfn

http://money.cnn.com/2017/03/29/investing/consumer-confidence-trump-economy/

Consumer confidence soars under Trump. Here's what it means

Consumers are suddenly a lot more confident about the economic future of the United States. That's a good thing. But it's also worth noting that consumers don't always have a great track record when it comes to predicting the financial future.

The Conference Board, an economic research firm, said Tuesday that its latest monthly survey of consumer sentiment surged in March to the highest level since December 2000.

Note that date. December 2000. At that point in time, the stock market, particularly techs on the Nasdaq, were in the midst of a massive plunge.

The dot-com bubble's bursting was one factor that led to a recession that started in March 2001 and lasted through November of that year. (That period, of course, included the immediate aftermath of the 9/11 terrorist attacks.)

And another closely watched measure of consumer confidence, The University of Michigan's Consumer Sentiment Index, hit its highest level since 2000 earlier this month as well.

It's also worth pointing out that the Conference Board's consumer confidence index surged right after last November's election as well -- to the highest level since July 2007. The Great Recession began in December of that year and lasted until June 2009.

All of this is not to say that the economy is about to enter another downturn just because the notoriously late to the party consumer is suddenly feeling giddy.

It's understandable why there is suddenly more hope on Main Street these days.

While the Conference Board didn't mention President Trump by name, it would appear that average Americans -- much like small business owners and CEOs -- are excited about the possibility of tax reform and stimulus.

"Consumers' assessment of current business and labor market conditions improved considerably. Consumers also expressed much greater optimism regarding the short-term outlook for business, jobs and personal income prospects," said Lynn Franco, director of economic indicators at The Conference Board, in a release.

"Consumers feel current economic conditions have improved over the recent period, and their renewed optimism suggests the possibility of some upside to the prospects for economic growth in the coming months," Franco added.

Some economists argue that the U.S. is due for a recession soon because we haven't had one in nearly eight years. This has been a relatively long, albeit shallow, recovery.

Interestingly, and perhaps not surprisingly, the economy is also increasingly being viewed through partisan lenses.

The University of Michigan addresses politics more directly in its consumer confidence reports.

And it noted earlier this month that based on its gauge of economic expectations, Democrats "signaled that a deep recession was imminent" while Republicans felt that "a new era of robust economic growth was ahead."

What's more, the most recent political infighting over health care appears to have dented confidence in the economy among Republicans and Democrats.

Polling company Gallup said earlier this week that its latest U.S. Economic Confidence Index hit its lowest level since the election -- largely due to the stock market's recent slide and the failure to repeal and replace Obamacare.

Gallup noted that Republicans still have a healthier view of the economy than Democrats, but added that "rank-and-file Republicans became significantly less confident in the economy last week."

If that trend continues, it will be interesting to see whether or not Republicans and Democrats alike decide to actually pull back on plans to buy more things over the next few months. At the end of the day, confidence doesn't power the economy. Shopping does.

If Trump is able to rebound from the collapse of his plan to repeal and replace the ACA and still get financial reform, a reduction in corporate and individual taxes and some level of infrastructure spending though Congress, that could boost the economy.

It may be difficult for the economy to grow at the 4% annualized rate that Trump has promised. But several experts think that 3% -- which would be an improvement from the sub-2% levels the U.S. has experienced lately -- is doable.

That would feel great for consumers and investors. And their confidence would likely be reflected through more spending.

E B

Ideal_Rock
What a beautiful report showing what President Obama inherited (and that is what's truly shown in the first quarter of his presidency as he didn't have enough time impact those numbers, with the exception of potentially consumer confidence, in any meaningful way -- nor would any president) vs. the tremendously improved scenario he left us with as shown in the first quarter report of Chump's presidency.

It's such a perfect example of what I was talking about earlier re: Republican leaders (and networks) and how stupid they think (or hope, I guess) their supporters/viewers are.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

And yours are....?
Wow, lovedogs. I thought you were just a nice kid. <winking icon>

Deb, who is very, very old
:saint:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, lovedogs. I thought you were just a nice kid. <winking icon>

Deb, who is very, very old
:saint:
haha you are not very very old! But thank you :)

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was this already reported? Somehow I must have missed Sean Spicer today (which is rare). Apparently he is still repeating what his boss alleged.

Excerpted from today's issue of "The New York Times".

"WASHINGTON — The White House on Friday reasserted President Trump’s unproven surveillance allegations against the Obama administration, insisting that there is evidence of 'politically motivated' surveillance of Mr. Trump’s campaign.

Senior government officials, including James B. Comey, the F.B.I. director, and lawmakers from both parties, have repeatedly and forcefully rejected that claim, saying they have seen no evidence of direct surveillance. A spokesman for former President Barack Obama has denied that the president ordered surveillance of Mr. Trump or his associates.

But Sean Spicer, the White House press secretary, insisted to reporters during Friday’s news briefing that members of Mr. Obama’s administration had done 'very, very bad things,' just as Mr. Trump alleged without proof on March 4 in a series of Twitter posts accusing Mr. Obama of 'wire tapping' his phones at Trump Tower."

It isn't nice to do very, very bad things.

Deb

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results