shape
carat
color
clarity

Tweets from a lunatic

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the last few years there have not been enough spaces for all the graduates of medical school to be matched up with hospitals, so I doubt that will be a problem.

The article you posted supports what I said.

From your article, "Most graduates of US medical schools don’t give up on becoming a licensed doctor if they don’t match, said Geoffrey Young, AAMC’s senior director for student affairs and programs. They often spend a year doing research, or complete a fifth year of medical school, then apply to the match the following year. More than 99 percent of US medical school graduates do end up practicing medicine within six years of graduation, Young and coauthors found in a study published in JAMA."

But the doctors aren't going to underserved rural areas after matching. The article you posted supports that by saying, "Missouri, Kansas, and Arkansas have passed laws to allow unmatched graduates to work in medically underserved areas without doing a residency." Those areas are so desperate for medical care that they are seeking people who aren't even fully trained.

Perhaps this is a better explanation because it highlights the j1 visa:

Patients in Alexandria, La., were the friendliest people Dr. Muhammad Tauseef ever worked with. They'd drive long distances to see him, and often bring gifts.

"It's a small town, so they will sometimes bring you chickens, bring you eggs, bring you homemade cakes," he says.

One woman even brought him a puppy.

"That was really nice," he says.

Tauseef was born and raised in Pakistan. After going to medical school there, he applied to come to the U.S. to train as a pediatrician.

It's a path thousands of foreign-born medical students follow every year — a path that's been around for more than half a century. And, like most foreign-born physicians, Tauseef came on a J1 visa. That meant after training he had two options: return to Pakistan or work for three years in an area the U.S. government has identified as having a provider shortage.

He chose to work with mostly uninsured kids at a pediatric practice in Alexandria. "That was a challenge," he says. "But it was rewarding as well because you are taking care of people who there aren't many to take care for."

"International medical graduates have been a resource to provide medical care to areas that don't otherwise have access to physicians," he says. "With the current uncertainty about those physicians' immigration status, we don't know whether or not these areas are going to receive care."

According to the AMA, today there are about 280,000 international medical graduates in the U.S. That's about 1 in 4 doctors practicing here. Some are U.S. citizens who've gone abroad for medical school, but most aren't.

"They don't all have permanent visas, and so a lot of them are concerned about what their status is going to be, whether they can stay, whether they can go home to visit family and still come back, and the communities they serve have similar questions," Gurman says.

And the care provided by the graduates of foreign medical schools is, by and large, top notch. A study published Feb. 3 in the journal The BMJ, formerly The British Medical Journal, shows Medicare patients treated by doctors with degrees from non-U.S. medical schools get just as good care — and sometimes better — than those treated by graduates of American medical schools.

The immigration uncertainty is hitting medical schools at a tough time. Dr. Salahuddin Kazi is in charge of recruiting top students from across the world for the University of Texas Southwestern residency program.

"Typically we have 3,000 people applying for our 61 positions — of those 3,000, at least half of them are international medical graduates," he says.

Applicants find out their program match in March and usually start working in June. That gives them about 90 days to get a visa. Kazi worries this year that won't be long enough and that students from countries included in the travel ban won't be admitted.

"That would create hardship for the hospital, for us and for our remaining residents," he says. "They'll have to pick up more shifts or give up vacation."

Pediatrician Tauseef left Louisiana two years ago but continues to care for low-income patients at Los Barrios Unidos Community Clinic in Dallas. Six of the 30 physicians who work at this clinic are from other countries.

Tauseef says they're all educated to do the same thing. "As a physician, being a foreign medical graduate, U.S. medical graduate, a Muslim doctor, a non-Muslim, we are trained to look for signs and symptoms," he says. "We do not look at anybody's color; we are not trained to look at anybody's religion or ethnicity."

Tauseef, who has been in America for 13 years, says he will apply for U.S. citizenship in March.

http://www.npr.org/sections/health-...lights-u-s-dependence-on-foreign-born-doctors

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh -- thank you Missy! I was searching for the old snarky looking green one. This one just seems so much... gentler. And I definitely wasn't going for the gentle side of snark this morning. :lol:

I hear and feel you Dee. It's why I don't usually even read these threads. But something made me sneak a peek this morning.
Bad girl that I am. :twisted::lol:

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Ruby.. I just don't understand why you keep posting in this thread, that is obviously anti Trump, where people who are deeply troubled and concerned about this administration are blowing off steam and using humor to deal with their frustration and anger.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 9.48.35 AM.png

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Matata, I would be LOL at the above tweet but considering what has been happening since his presidency I think the about tweet is a fact.

Our healthcare is being decided on by a group of old white men. Just what all women dream about. Urggggg!!!

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Ruby, I am so dense that I cannot see the difference between a healthcare bill and a beheading. (The old eye-roll emoti seems to be missing. Although I rarely used it, it would be most appropriate here so just pretend you see it.)

One difference I can see is that frankly there's nothing you can do for the beheading victim after the fact but in the passing of a healthcare bill where there will be millions of Americans victimized by loss of care (affordable care, adequate care, and care period), which in some cases will ultimately lead to death, there is a lot that can still be done prior to enactment to stop -- or at least stem -- the coming tragedy. But Pvss Grab has no interested in that. Vroom vroom, honk honk.

If you are President of the United States and an American citizen is beheaded, you go to your place of worship, or you have a day of reflection or something to commemorate this man.

You do not hear the tragic news on a golf course and your first words are - where is my putter?

As far as the healthcare bill, you would need to get off MSNBC to see how hard Trump has been working to get it passed. It is now out of his hands while it is being voted on.

As far as what we have now, many of us do have an insurance card, but little else. As our policies are basically useless.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As far as the healthcare bill, you would need to get off MSNBC to see how hard Trump has been working to get it passed. It is now out of his hands while it is being voted on.

As far as what we have now, many of us do have an insurance card, but little else. As our policies are basically useless.

As to your first point, DH has CNN on and a representative said Trump has been meeting with a lot of people, listening to what they are saying and making changes. Fake news because it's CNN, amirite? That doesn't change the fact that Trump has put an arbitrary deadline on an extremely important decision and said take it or leave it, if it doesn't pass we're moving on to other issues rather than letting negotiations continue. He's going to take his ball and go home (literally to Lar-a-Mago since it's Friday, probably) if he's doesn't get his way. Wow, really?!?! This is one of the major issues he campaigned on and for which people voted for him.

So to your second point, if the vote doesn't go through today, get used to your current situation because that's the way it will be for the foreseeable future. Trump has other things to tend to such as the golf course.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More delusional tweets about BRINGING JOBS BACK TO 'MURICA!

Too bad for SCTROUS that his delusions aren't reality.

From the Independent:
The US State Department says the Keystone XL pipeline will create 50 permanent jobs, despite Donald Trump’s previous estimate of 28,000.

From Forbes:
These jobs would most likely number fewer than 10,000 and would only last a short time, and an even shorter duration in any single location. The long-term operation and maintenance of the pipeline would not create a meaningful number of jobs, because pipelines are simple to maintain once built.

Other sources won't load right now, but pretty sure that Donnie's estimates are only true in his tiny brain.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.38.58 AM.png

katharath

Ideal_Rock
More delusional tweets about BRINGING JOBS BACK TO 'MURICA!

Too bad for SCTROUS that his delusions aren't reality.

From the Independent:

From Forbes:

Other sources won't load right now, but pretty sure that Donnie's estimates are only true in his tiny brain.

Screen Shot 2017-03-24 at 11.38.58 AM.png

Lol - yeah and meanwhile, his company is looking to hire foreigners - not Americans - to come and work for their vineyard. His daughter's business continues to import her Chinese made crap, while he wants to put tariffs on every other company who makes their products outside of America. It's just all so pathetic. "Do as I say, not as I do" - bullshit.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
As to your first point, DH has CNN on and a representative said Trump has been meeting with a lot of people, listening to what they are saying and making changes. Fake news because it's CNN, amirite? That doesn't change the fact that Trump has put an arbitrary deadline on an extremely important decision and said take it or leave it, if it doesn't pass we're moving on to other issues rather than letting negotiations continue. He's going to take his ball and go home (literally to Lar-a-Mago since it's Friday, probably) if he's doesn't get his way. Wow, really?!?! This is one of the major issues he campaigned on and for which people voted for him.

So to your second point, if the vote doesn't go through today, get used to your current situation because that's the way it will be for the foreseeable future. Trump has other things to tend to such as the golf course.

He is now moving on to tax relief.

And you are right, thanks to Obama I will soon have to pay another $895 for my 3D mammogram. And I just paid $785 to my optometrist.

I guess I will just hope for the best that my feet are OK, because I have health coverage card in name only.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Well, they pulled the bill! Trump said if this one didn't pass he was done with health care, but of course he also said the first thing he would do was repeal Obamacare - and that his health care bill would cover everyone, and a whole host of other lies - so we'll see, I guess. I'm just going to take this as a victory, since we don't get many of those lately!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, they pulled the bill! Trump said if this one didn't pass he was done with health care, but of course he also said the first thing he would do was repeal Obamacare - and that his health care bill would cover everyone, and a whole host of other lies - so we'll see, I guess. I'm just going to take this as a victory, since we don't get many of those lately!
News sources were speculating that this will make it more difficult for him to get the wall built and his budget passed. This is an epic fail for tweetervoncheater.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
A victory for whom - hard working Americans who are saddled with policies they cannot use?

Or young people having to either pay a penalty or being forced to purchase something they do not want?

Or for the states where healthcare costs will be seeing unbelievable increases next year?

Your hatred sure clouds your judgment, imo.

Well with this decision we will soon be off the Obama healthcare nightmare.

My husband and I discussed that if it was not repealed we would go another route. It means A cut in pay, but he will reclassify his position. So now we will be part of the State employee coverage plan policy which is so much better. Just have to wait until they have open enrollments again.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
News sources were speculating that this will make it more difficult for him to get the wall built and his budget passed. This is an epic fail for tweetervoncheater.

It really is a huge failure - that bill was SO BAD that an entire gov't controlled by his party couldn't get it to pass! SAD.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

Cheater, no that would be Bill Clinton.

Wow, wanting the President to fail because you cannot see through your own hatred.

Unbelievable.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad it did not pass. Too much like Obamacare. Let the whole thing fail.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
Cheater, no that would be Bill Clinton.

Wow, wanting the President to fail because you cannot see through your own hatred.

Unbelievable.

Ruby.. I just don't understand why you keep posting in this thread, that is obviously anti Trump, where people who are deeply troubled and concerned about this administration are blowing off steam and using humor to deal with their frustration and anger.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock

My bad. I did not see the sign on the thread door that this was a private conversation.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I'm flipping thrilled. That bill was a joke.

In a way I am too because it forced us to make a decision to go with the State policy.

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm flipping thrilled. That bill was a joke.
We'll see how Obamacare fairs over the next two years. Dems may be begging the Republicans to help them fix it. They own it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
We'll see how Obamacare fairs over the next two years. Dems may be begging the Republicans to help them fix it. They own it.
And I was happy the way the President handled it and refused to throw anyone under the bus.

And a comment - I did not realize what a poor speaker Pelosi is. She was tripping over her tongue so badly she was incomprehensible.

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
And I was happy the way the President handled it and refused to throw anyone under the bus.

And a comment - I did not realize what a poor speaker Pelosi is. She was tripping over her tongue so badly she was incomprehensible.

I just watched Trump speak from the Oval office and he blamed the Democrats. I didn't mean to imply that you "couldn't" post in this thread or that it was private, I just don't understand it.

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
I just watched Trump speak from the Oval office and he blamed the Democrats. I didn't mean to imply that you "couldn't" post in this thread or that it was private, I just don't understand it.

Some people here have an unhealthy hatred for this President. And I was trying to determine why. Was it because Obama was so perfect? So I had to google Obama to see if he was just such a class act.

The more I read about him, the worse he comes across.

So I am just doing my own comparison.

The democrats spoke for a few minutes afterwards and even MSNBC left for their own coverage. Pelosi is incomprehensible as well as the gentleman who followed her.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results