shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson Gem Show!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Everything… that’s why I also jumped on my ruby when I saw it. The increases are staggering.

What's the ballpark increases on this stuff, are we talking hundreds a carat more or thousands?

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Putting this here, because I did not want to create a new thread, and thought it belongs in the colored stone forum , rather than the memes thread.

7BEDB784-C8F4-419D-8DE0-010E3D3F27B8.jpeg

I've bought my first stones in 2013 and never set them. Actually only set one stone so far, a semi precious cabochon turned into a pendant that I wear a lot including today.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Putting this here, because I did not want to create a new thread, and thought it belongs in the colored stone forum , rather than the memes thread.

Oh my God, this is freaking hilarious! I am so guilty of this. :lol::shhh: I mean, how does one resist all the pretty new sparkles being posted from Tuscon?

jenzgemz

Rough_Rock

This is amazingly hilarious! We bought our first gemstones over 15 years ago and have only recently begun inhave them set....also have started going to Tucson the last free years and now have more projects than I need. And yet, there's still room for more new precision cut stones.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
When I saw desert rose’s footage of the show, it was crazy. It’s so overwhelming- looking but I’m not sure I would buy anything because of the sheer volume alone! How to choose?!

You walk slowly, take pics of booths with things that catches your eye (so you rem where and what they are). Frankly many things will be nice so for me anyway so it is more about whether the price is right.

Crowded booths are a good indication. Many of booths/sellers would have regulars and I’ve seen vendors almost sprint to preferred booths to get the best selection.

It’s great fun. I love going to shows.

Bring comfy shoes and a water bottle. I often see trolley bags and small luggages at shows too (so you don’t have to carry stuff around).

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ohhh @dk168 when you have time can you tell me roughly what emeralds are fetching for what quality! Any cheaper alternatives to Columbian?

I am off the tsav train and exploring greener pastures!

There were some very nice Emeralds about with eye-watering prices!

DK :))

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
ohhh @dk168 when you have time can you tell me roughly what emeralds are fetching for what quality! Any cheaper alternatives to Columbian?

I am off the tsav train and exploring greener pastures!

Ethopian emeralds can be nice. Generally nicer than Zambians, and certainly cheaper than Columbians.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Omg that is so me. I totally should cull

E H

Rough_Rock
Well, visit several tucson shows. The GJX definitely has the best gem throughout the tucson, but most dealers in this show also exhibit in the HK show. Cant enter AGTA cause I am not acquintance with any dealer there. You can only enter these two shows if you have enough credential in the trade, or some dealer there help you getting the badge.

The pueblo show also has several dealers with nice inventory

Pricewise, it is still as expensive as the september HK show in singapore last year.
"neon" pinkish red spinel are approaching the price of heated mozambique ruby.

Cobalt spinel from the new mahenge mine also as crazy as the classic lucyen cobalt spinel

Mozambique "neon greenish blue" paraiba with few inclusion range from 5-7k/ct

One very very rare 5ct mozambique paraiba that can rival the finest brazillian windex blue has a jaw dropping pricetag of 25k/ct

I Have seen a lot of beautiful zambian emerald. A lot of them are untreated.

Sapphire and ruby r also have similar price level compare to the september show. Which means, much much higher compare to precovid

And this is the only bargain that i found throughout my trip:

A hot pink, definitely not as red as the trade prefered color, but it only cost slightly below $850/ct

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@E H thank you so much for that fabulous update!!!!

Are these prices considered retail or wholesale?

Regarding Zambian emeralds, how are their prices?

E H

Rough_Rock
@E H thank you so much for that fabulous update!!!!

Are these prices considered retail or wholesale?

Regarding Zambian emeralds, how are their prices?

I would say between the retail and wholesale. I am a collector, but i have built relationship with several dealers for a long time.

I am not familiar with the pricing of zambian emerald but they are much much lower than the colombian one.

Btw i can still found several slightly included and/or sleepy 1ct top color brazilian paraiba below 10k/ct. If you are okay with moderate to highly included one, i have seen several below 6k/ct. Add a stronger green modifier, you can get it even cheaper. The smaller 2-5pointer highly included and/or sleepy are priced much much much cheaper.

Kalynna

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing all of the great information!! After 28,000 steps over one and a half days, I'm dead...and I only managed to hit the public show at the convention center and the 22nd st show (twice)!

Here's my haul. A gorgeous 1.1ct pink spinel, .5ct Russian damantoid, 1.13ct heated Mozambique ruby, 1.04ct sphene (I've wanted one for so long!), and an opal of unknown provenance from a bargain bin. I also got some Namibian demantoid melee on super sale, which I plan to halo around the spinel.

20230211_181821.jpg

20230211_182058.jpg

Also, my husband got a Damascus steel knife with a wooly mammoth tusk handle which is pretty nifty:

20230211_153252.jpg

The prices on unheated stones in general were astronomical, and it seems that everyone is trying to jump on the pad sapphire train with any sapphire with any amount of pink or orange. There were tons of emeralds to choose from, but I need to beef up my knowledge base (and budget) before delving into those. It was a bit overwhelming to deal with the crowds, but I'm definitely coming again next year!

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
I went to the Kino show this morning, as it's the last day and I thought it wouldn't be so busy. Was so wrong- I got there before opening and parked at the end of the second lot because the others were full.

Some vendors were packing up, but the ones who were still open were great to talk to. Like an idiot I forgot to get cards, but there were some really beautiful Montana sapphires I want to save up for, for the fall or next year's shows. I really wanted a glowy blue-leaning emerald and found one. Also ended up getting an insane flame spinel and a number of turquoise.

It was definitely sensory overload for me, a person who can't even make it through the grocery store without blinders and a list. But it was also so much fun!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm, I did not realise other PSers were attending the Tucson shows, as I had tried to organise a GTG with no response, hey ho! :roll2:

I did not buy any CSs of significance, however, I did buy a few items.

It was a good trip and I did loads with excursions to Grand Canyon, Sedona and Apache Trail when I went to Phoenix for a few days after being in Tucson.

It was great to meet up with Gary of Finewater Gems and Jeff White finally after all these years.

Don't know if and when I would return to Tucson and Arizona, hence I packed in as many excursions as I could.

DK :))

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
I went to the Kino show this morning, as it's the last day and I thought it wouldn't be so busy. Was so wrong- I got there before opening and parked at the end of the second lot because the others were full.

Some vendors were packing up, but the ones who were still open were great to talk to. Like an idiot I forgot to get cards, but there were some really beautiful Montana sapphires I want to save up for, for the fall or next year's shows. I really wanted a glowy blue-leaning emerald and found one. Also ended up getting an insane flame spinel and a number of turquoise.

It was definitely sensory overload for me, a person who can't even make it through the grocery store without blinders and a list. But it was also so much fun!

Oh, can we see your new emerald and spinel?

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
Oh, can we see your new emerald and spinel?
Sure! I just took some before dinner. The handshot is inside and the ones in the little cases are from outside right before sunset. The black background seems to exaggerate the spinel, but it really does act lit from within (it is highly included). PXL_20230212_215954449~3.jpg PXL_20230212_234831215~2.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230212_234850385~2.jpg
    PXL_20230212_234850385~2.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 16

bah haa haa haa!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results