carat
color
clarity

Tucson Gem Show!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should mention emeralds and paraiba @elle_71125

I was pondering the other day whether a glowy emerald might be a cheaper alternative for those that missed the paraiba boat. You know, like finding a "budget" glow. Then I pondered whether glowy emeralds would also cost a fortune.

Gorgeous spinel!!!! Pink glow!!!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Funny you should mention emeralds and paraiba @elle_71125

I was pondering the other day whether a glowy emerald might be a cheaper alternative for those that missed the paraiba boat. You know, like finding a "budget" glow. Then I pondered whether glowy emeralds would also cost a fortune.

Gorgeous spinel!!!! Pink glow!!!

I think a glowy emerald is a nice alternative, if a paraiba is out of one’s budget. They are obviously very different beasts but they both have gorgeous color and glow. Of course, a higher quality emerald is super expensive but I think you can still find one with a decent glow on the lower end of the price spectrum. I bought a small emerald last year (lower quality…and still to be set) and I love that soft green glow.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I arrived at the B&B where I am staying at about 19:30 after a long day travelling and crashed out.

Slept well last night as I had not have any sleep since Thursday night.

Just met Gary B over breakfast, off to hit the JOGS show at the Expo later.

DK :))

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Meanwhile, on to the brighter side. I did buy a Mahenge spinel yesterday, via DesertRose. It was more expensive than I’d like, but the color looks nice and vibrant. And since we’re all here for the pics, I’ll get us started. :mrgreen:
F5058CCE-921A-48E1-9E13-723D48EB452C.jpeg

That is gorgeous!

DK :)) (the love emoji does not work on my phone)

CBianco

Brilliant_Rock
I’ve noticed prices for colored gems have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years. I guess it’s to be expected but it makes me wish I had purchased a much larger paraiba back when the prices were more manageable (not that I could have afforded it back then either so..:wall:). I want to buy an emerald but I’m picky and the prices have skyrocketed in the last two years. I watched one piece in particular go from 17k to over 40k in 2 years. o_O

Yvonne from Cecile Rayle Designs wrote an interesting blog post, a while back, that talked about the rising costs of gemstones and why some of them have become so expensive. I think I shared a link at the time, as it was an interesting read.

Meanwhile, on to the brighter side. I did buy a Mahenge spinel yesterday, via DesertRose. It was more expensive than I’d like, but the color looks nice and vibrant. And since we’re all here for the pics, I’ll get us started. :mrgreen:

Omg, you snatched that baby up! We're going to need more pics of it when you receive it! :kiss2:

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve noticed prices for colored gems have gone up quite a bit in the last couple of years. I guess it’s to be expected but it makes me wish I had purchased a much larger paraiba back when the prices were more manageable (not that I could have afforded it back then either so..:wall:). I want to buy an emerald but I’m picky and the prices have skyrocketed in the last two years. I watched one piece in particular go from 17k to over 40k in 2 years. o_O

Yvonne from Cecile Rayle Designs wrote an interesting blog post, a while back, that talked about the rising costs of gemstones and why some of them have become so expensive. I think I shared a link at the time, as it was an interesting read.

I saw this one on IG and thought is was gorgeous! :love: I’m so excited for you that you got it!! Did she send you more pictures? I can’t wait to see more photos of this beauty! :D

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is gorgeous!

DK :)) (the love emoji does not work on my phone)
Thank you. :kiss2:

Omg, you snatched that baby up! We're going to need more pics of it when you receive it! :kiss2:
I did! You gotta be quick. Lol. I will absolutely share pics once I receive it. :mrgreen:

I saw this one on IG and thought is was gorgeous! :love: I’m so excited for you that you got it!! Did she send you more pictures? I can’t wait to see more photos of this beauty! :D
Thank you. I’m excited too! She sent a few pics and videos. I’m adding one of the videos below.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I did! You gotta be quick. Lol. I will absolutely share pics once I receive it. :mrgreen:

Thank you. I’m excited too! She sent a few pics and videos. I’m adding one of the videos below.

It looks beautiful!! :kiss2: I hope you‘ll get to see it in person very soon!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yesterday I met Gary B for breakfast, went to JOGS show and bought a few cheapo items (no high end stuff worthy of photos), met Jeff W for dinner.

Off to Tomestone for an excursion today.

More gems and minerals shows on Tuesday and Wednesday.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have learnt from my mistake - if I find something I like, jot down the booth number for future reference to save walking about trying to find it again, especially at large events like JOGS!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

I am supremely jealous, and it's a round. You're one lucky duck :love: It's exactly what I'd be looking for- if I had any money, anyway :lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Price on Spinel has been rising for over tewnty years. Spinel really jumped in price with the big find in Mahenge, Tanzania. Before the big find end buyers could get a very nice two carat red Spinel for $600 to $800 from the right vendors.

You'll find that all gemstones can vary greatly in price between vendors, even American ones. It pays to shop around.

Blue spinel is crazy expensive too.

mustangchi

Brilliant_Rock
Yesterday I met Gary B for breakfast, went to JOGS show and bought a few cheapo items (no high end stuff worthy of photos), met Jeff W for dinner.

Off to Tomestone for an excursion today.

More gems and minerals shows on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Awesome that you got to meet Jeff! I bet he is as nice in person as he is via email!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did he show you any pretties? =)2 The color change spinel looks amazing.

He treated me to dinner at his favourite Mexican restaurant in town, and showed me the video of that Spinel and a couple of others.

Curby311

Rough_Rock

This is gorgeous!!! Excellent buy.

Curby311

Rough_Rock
Sadly, due to work complications I haven't made it down there yet. I'm hoping to road trip it down in the next couple of days. Can anyone there that can see the gemstones tell me whether you're seeing any decent options available for red or mahenge spinel or tsavorite for around 5k or under? I just got the ok to pull the trigger on a center stone for an engagement ring but the stone budget isn't what I was hoping. I'm pretty sure I'm priced out of gemstones now so I may have to just admire the lovelies that others have picked up.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Zander is a sweetheart too!
His shop is one of my favs for browsing! So many varieties.

I’m glad am not seeing such prices in my part of the world yet (apart from some madly priced stores that are popular with celebrities) but couldn’t help but think that if vendors can sell at those prices, no wonder gemstone prices keep going up.
Note to self to swipe up some more bigger gemstones before I am totally priced out.

Yes, @icy_jade. Better buy because we can see it coming in our direction! Esp rubies, jadeite, fancy colored diamonds.

Yikes, I have seen such jumps too. Fine jadeite has gone up up about 30% a year.

Argh, I must find it!

Wow, it is brilliant! So intense and bright.

acroz

Rough_Rock
Any good sapphire out there?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some nice finished CSs about at the Pueblo show, however their stalls were scattered about and not concentrated in one area.

I had not asked about their prices as I had not planned to buy any.

However I asked about a couple of Emeralds and a Paraiba cab and they were as expected.

John Dyer had a store there, his dad and ? his mum were looking after the stall while he was at another show elsewhere. Good to see some of his stones in person and admired their eye-watering prices as I personally do not believe some of them were justifiable.

One of John Dyer's:

20230131_120800.jpg

Off to 22nd Street show today.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some nice finished CSs about at the Pueblo show, however their stalls were scattered about and not concentrated in one area.

I had not asked about their prices as I had not planned to buy any.

However I asked about a couple of Emeralds and a Paraiba cab and they were as expected.

John Dyer had a store there, his dad and ? his mum were looking after the stall while he was at another show elsewhere. Good to see some of his stones in person and admired their eye-watering prices as I personally do not believe some of them were justifiable.

One of John Dyer's:

20230131_120800.jpg

Off to 22nd Street show today.

I’ve always thought his cuts are so neat. I’m jealous you get to see all these beauties in person. :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
22nd Street show was worth a visit, more better quality cut stones.

They had some nice fossils too!

Found a Paraiba cab that I liked, however, it was way out of my budget!

Bought some inexpensive stones as memento and souvenirs of my trip to Tucson.

Also bought a slice of Amethyst, again as a memento/souvenir of my trip, and it is my birthstone.

Probably off to visit a museum tomorrow instead of going to another gem show.

No pics, sorry!

jenzgemz

Rough_Rock
Spent three days at the show this weekend, mainly JOGS and 22nd street. Such an incredible variety. Noticed higher prices this year, especially on spinel. Was looking for a silvery metallic grey asscher or radiant cut spinel in the 2-3 carat range, apparently so is everyone else Managed to finish a project from last year, couple more in the works. Need to get back to Bill Vance's booth to properly sift through those fun treasure boxes! Looking forward to returning this weekend.

Chasiu

Shiny_Rock
Happy to say I'm the new owner of not 1 but 2 unheated rubies, also purchased through Desert Rose :kiss2:

1.76ct Ruby from Burma (pictured on the right)
- will be more on the pinkish red side, but that fluorescence in the sunlight!!
1.76ct Burma Unheated Ruby.jpg

0.91ct Ruby from Vietnam
- Should be more saturated red with a hint of purple, and slight flash of orange
0.91ct Vietnam Unheated Ruby.jpg

I have been casually searching on and off for untreated rubies for a while, but decided to get more serious for an upcoming milestone anniversary + wedding birthday next year. So super excited to have found 2 at the show! I'm feeling some double halo ring action for the Vietnamese ruby, and not sure what to do yet with the Burmese one. Can't wait to see them in person :kiss2: Waiting for some more outdoor pics on the Vietnamese one, when the sun isn't so strong.

Had a feeling a PSer bought this one quickly lol. I did consider it for a hot minute before deciding to hold out for rubies. I had also been "watching" a gorgeous (heated) 2ct ruby for a 2 years and it went up from $8k to $20k :errrr:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Happy to say I'm the new owner of not 1 but 2 unheated rubies, also purchased through Desert Rose :kiss2:

1.76ct Ruby from Burma (pictured on the right)
- will be more on the pinkish red side, but that fluorescence in the sunlight!!
1.76ct Burma Unheated Ruby.jpg

0.91ct Ruby from Vietnam
- Should be more saturated red with a hint of purple, and slight flash of orange
0.91ct Vietnam Unheated Ruby.jpg

I have been casually searching on and off for untreated rubies for a while, but decided to get more serious for an upcoming milestone anniversary + wedding birthday next year. So super excited to have found 2 at the show! I'm feeling some double halo ring action for the Vietnamese ruby, and not sure what to do yet with the Burmese one. Can't wait to see them in person :kiss2:

Had a feeling a PSer bought this one quickly lol. I did consider it for a hot minute before deciding to hold out for rubies. I had also been "watching" a gorgeous (heated) 2ct ruby for a 2 years and it went up from $8k to $20k :errrr:

Love those rubies and the you got a pretty good size one too!
:kiss2: I look forward to seeing how you set them.

Holy crap the that ruby price jump. I guess it wasn’t just emeralds. :oops2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results