shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson gem show wisdom from those that have gone...........

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would any of you ladies be willing to share a room? I'd be open to doing so if anyone is willing although I haven't booked a room. That always helps with expense!

I would, but I’m about to leave to go to my other house and I want to check calendars, etc, so I wouldn’t be able to say yes or no for a few hours.

I don’t snore, lol, but have a cpap.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was thinking the same thing!!
@Miki Moto what did you do with the emerald?

Hi! Well... I was going to set it into a ring. I already had the design and vendor but then I got greedy. =)2
I want to make a parure so I will keep the stone loose and get matching stones to also make earrings and a pendant.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Miki Moto- those are beautiful emeralds that you posted!!!

I am currently looking at hotels in the Tucson area. To those of you who have been before where do you usually stay?

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Miki Moto....thanks for introducing me to 'parure'...........my gem set's have never known that name!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Miki Moto....thanks for introducing me to 'parure'...........my gem set's have never known that name!

I probably saw some of your posts and got inspired to make “sets” instead of just a ring! Do you do the full parure? Earrings, pendant, ring, bracelet? What is your best combo? I am thinking ring, earrings and pendant but I never wear pendants and it may be overkill. What do you usually do? I would love your thoughts as this would be new for me.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Earrings and necklace's are the most common duo for me -- but one of the things I have run across in trying to put sets (parure) together is that it is darn hard to match colors after you have a gem. At least that's been the biggest obstacle for me. My sets are often beads -- semi precious jewelry I've created............

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input... I think I will do a earring and necklace duo too and maybe not wear my emerald ring so it won't look too over the top. But then again... what the heck, sometimes it's okay to be over the top.

I agree with you on matching the stones which is why I have not yet made my emerald ring yet. I plan to bring the loose stone to see if I can get some matches.

If you like beads... you will love Tucson! You seem to be a creative artist, so I think you will love Tucson because there is so much of that stuff. I think you will like JOGS, and now the public can attend for a small fee. Assuming the public can attend the show, I am also assuming the public can attend the classes. Here is a list of their classes for an upcoming show later this year to give you an idea. When they start to advertise JOGS 2019, you will see something similar. I recall this past Feb, it was a lot of beading and wiring classes.

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Miki Moto- those are beautiful emeralds that you posted!!!

I am currently looking at hotels in the Tucson area. To those of you who have been before where do you usually stay?

Thanks! This past February was my first time. I like Marriott properties (I have a lot of points), so I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Williams Centre. This is a short drive from downtown, so you will need a car to get to the shows or you can Uber/taxi. It's a nice area, and lots of restaurants. I drove in to downtown and then took the shuttle to hop around the shows which I am glad I did as I saw parking for some shows is a bit tough.

Tucson was more than I expected. I'm an East Coast lady, and I have been to Phoenix/Scotsdale, but not Tucson. There is a lot to do, and I would suggest making a short list of side trips in case the shows wear you out. For me, once I buy what I want, I don't like to browse for the sake of browsing. Last February, I did not know what to expect so I planned my trip to be there for the full four days of the TGMS show. This was in case I found something pricey I liked and needed a day or two to think about it. My thought was this may be my one and only time out there, so make it count. TGMS ran from Thursday-Sunday, and my trip was arrival on Wednesday and departure on Monday. I was glad I stayed so long as it took me several days to make up my mind on the emerald I ended up purchasing. I told myself I would not purchase anything on the first day. I would only browse to see what was out there. I discovered the emerald dealer on Thursday morning, and saw "the" stone. Initially, I was looking for about a 2ct stone, but this emerald dealer had all these big boys (see above photo of his mini booth)! Well, "the" stone was 5.5ct, and I needed to think about it as it was more than I was expecting to spend. At the end of Friday, I went back to the emerald dealer to look at "the" stone again. On Friday, I went to see some other shows, and then went back to the emerald dealer again to take a peek at "the" emerald as now I had so many images of emeralds in my mind I could truly compare. On the Saturday, I went to yet another group of shows, and after three days of shows, I was satisfied looking at emeralds and knew "the" stone was the one. On Saturday late afternoon, I went back to the dealer and "the" stone finally became "my" stone! Yippee! On my last day in Tucson, Sunday... with an ear-to-ear grin on my face... I was happy just to look at my emerald all day long! I did not want to look at anymore shows. I had previously decided if I had an extra day, I would drive to Tombstone which I really had a great time. The next time I plan to visit the Saguaro National Park to see the humongous cactus.

I hope sharing my little trip journey was helpful.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the input... I think I will do a earring and necklace duo too and maybe not wear my emerald ring so it won't look too over the top. But then again... what the heck, sometimes it's okay to be over the top.

I agree with you on matching the stones which is why I have not yet made my emerald ring yet. I plan to bring the loose stone to see if I can get some matches.

I think some of it is simply comfort level. I'd definitely wear a ring that was a statement piece with the earrings and necklace being accessories to the ring..........I feel like I have a relationship with each piece of jewelry I have.

On a cruise we took I wore costume jewelry for formal night. It was a huge green 'stone' with lots of CZ - the first night I wore it the first person I met looked at the ring and said "Is that real?"................I should have said yes, alas, I was honest. No boundaries exist when you are wearing BIG BLING........ it shows the power of rings are in the eye's of the beholder's.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Thanks! This past February was my first time. I like Marriott properties (I have a lot of points), so I stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Williams Centre. This is a short drive from downtown, so you will need a car to get to the shows or you can Uber/taxi. It's a nice area, and lots of restaurants. I drove in to downtown and then took the shuttle to hop around the shows which I am glad I did as I saw parking for some shows is a bit tough.

Tucson was more than I expected. I'm an East Coast lady, and I have been to Phoenix/Scotsdale, but not Tucson. There is a lot to do, and I would suggest making a short list of side trips in case the shows wear you out. For me, once I buy what I want, I don't like to browse for the sake of browsing. Last February, I did not know what to expect so I planned my trip to be there for the full four days of the TGMS show. This was in case I found something pricey I liked and needed a day or two to think about it. My thought was this may be my one and only time out there, so make it count. TGMS ran from Thursday-Sunday, and my trip was arrival on Wednesday and departure on Monday. I was glad I stayed so long as it took me several days to make up my mind on the emerald I ended up purchasing. I told myself I would not purchase anything on the first day. I would only browse to see what was out there. I discovered the emerald dealer on Thursday morning, and saw "the" stone. Initially, I was looking for about a 2ct stone, but this emerald dealer had all these big boys (see above photo of his mini booth)! Well, "the" stone was 5.5ct, and I needed to think about it as it was more than I was expecting to spend. At the end of Friday, I went back to the emerald dealer to look at "the" stone again. On Friday, I went to see some other shows, and then went back to the emerald dealer again to take a peek at "the" emerald as now I had so many images of emeralds in my mind I could truly compare. On the Saturday, I went to yet another group of shows, and after three days of shows, I was satisfied looking at emeralds and knew "the" stone was the one. On Saturday late afternoon, I went back to the dealer and "the" stone finally became "my" stone! Yippee! On my last day in Tucson, Sunday... with an ear-to-ear grin on my face... I was happy just to look at my emerald all day long! I did not want to look at anymore shows. I had previously decided if I had an extra day, I would drive to Tombstone which I really had a great time. The next time I plan to visit the Saguaro National Park to see the humongous cactus.

I hope sharing my little trip journey was helpful.

Thank you for all your information- I had looked at hotels in Williams Centre but was afraid it was too far out. Its reassuring that you thought it was a good area to stay.
Love the story about how you finally decided to buy your emerald. Great story!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Would any of you ladies be willing to share a room? I'd be open to doing so if anyone is willing although I haven't booked a room. That always helps with expense!

Last year I did some hotel hopping. I booked late, and we could only get a room in a Best Western for almost $250 a night. A 2 star hotel :angryfire: ($90/night anyone?) It was tiny (and creepy), so we moved to the DoubleTree Williams Center at the same price. Fantastic, huge, two room king and queen suites - what you SHOULD get for $250 a night...well almost( it usually books for $125?). Having a roommate really helps.

This year I've hedged my bets. Since I've been a good girl, I have room on my credit cards to book more than one hotel, and since I'm indecisive I did just that. A room at the Doubletree Williams Center (where I stayed last year and like a lot) and one at Comfort inn ($164/night) AND one at The Riverpark Inn ($1 booking fee until January 26, $160/night). :shock: It was a busy night :wall::eek2::eek2: Once I settle down and talk to roommate, I'll cancel the excess.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last year I did some hotel hopping. I booked late, and we could only get a room in a Best Western for almost $250 a night. A 2 star hotel :angryfire: ($90/night anyone?) It was tiny (and creepy), so we moved to the DoubleTree Williams Center at the same price. Fantastic, huge, two room king and queen suites - what you SHOULD get for $250 a night...well almost( it usually books for $125?). Having a roommate really helps.

This year I've hedged my bets. Since I've been a good girl, I have room on my credit cards to book more than one hotel, and since I'm indecisive I did just that. A room at the Doubletree Williams Center (where I stayed last year and like a lot) and one at Comfort inn ($164/night) AND one at The Riverpark Inn ($1 booking fee until January 26, $160/night). :shock: It was a busy night :wall::eek2::eek2: Once I settle down and talk to roommate, I'll cancel the excess.

@suzanne2, please let me know before you cancel the excess and I’ll see if I can pick up one of them up if you already have a roommate. I’d love to go and meet up with everyone!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@suzanne2, please let me know before you cancel the excess and I’ll see if I can pick up one of them up if you already have a roommate. I’d love to go and meet up with everyone!

Hi @bright ice, yes I'll let you know before I cancel the extra rooms. I already have a roommate but I'm sure there are plenty of PSer's who are interested. Toddling after Gene for a day (plus maybe dinner) is an irresistible lure...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @bright ice, yes I'll let you know before I cancel the extra rooms. I already have a roommate but I'm sure there are plenty of PSer's who are interested. Toddling after Gene for a day (plus maybe dinner) is an irresistible lure...

@suzanne2 Sounds great! =)2

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can’t commit yet. Sorry for taking so long... my sister is here with her kids and it’s been crazy. If you find a roomie. Go ahead. I’ll be a late joiner, if at all.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m booked at the Sheraton out by the airport. Stayed there last year and it was pretty good, with a fairly quick drive into the major shows. I always stay at the Starwood hotels as I have enough points to cover the room. The Sheraton on Grant streets is good, but a bit longer drive, the Aloft on Speedway is a nice location, close to the shows yet away from all them. I would think the Riverpark would not be a good location. With the shows going on in all the rooms on the first floor, and many of the exhibitors staying there it’s bound to be loud, and getting in an out and finding parking will be an issue.

I’ll be in Tucson from Feb 1 thru the 5th. I can set aside one day to be pretty much a “Pricesope day”.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Anyone else that has a room and wants a room-mate? My eye's are rolling and part of it is that I want to spend my money on gems..........not on a room that may not be where I need to be!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
You may want to look into AirBnB. I know several people who rent whole houses during the gem shows in Tucson as they have several people with them, and it's more economical than several hotel rooms.

familynurse

Rough_Rock
I was able to book a one bedroom suite at Residence Inn Williams square for 4 nights (Feb1- Feb5) for total of $722.00. (not sure if I used AAA or senior rate) The room is fully cancellable until 2 days prior to stay.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You may want to look into AirBnB. I know several people who rent whole houses during the gem shows in Tucson as they have several people with them, and it's more economical than several hotel rooms.

Great suggestion..........I've got the net out with AirB&B.......and my spouse has now expressed interest in this trip so I'm feeling like I'm on a roller coaster. ; )

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was able to book a one bedroom suite at Residence Inn Williams square for 4 nights (Feb1- Feb5) for total of $722.00. (not sure if I used AAA or senior rate) The room is fully cancellable until 2 days prior to stay.

I was going to stay there next time too. The Residence Inn is my hotel of choice for weekly travel (I'm a road warrior, Marriott Lifetime Platinum), but they were sold out in Feb. I think you will like Williams Centre. The main street, Broadway, has tons of restaurants and stuff.

I am sure you will have a great time!
I hope this thread stays open and everyone can post pics of their goodies! For me, I'm on the hunt for the green stuff! :)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Follow up question on Williams Centre lodging..........is this on the gem shuttle route? Can you hop on the shuttle and make it to the other locations?

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Sorry @digdeep it took so long to reply. I stayed at the Double Tree Williams center and no, it wasn't on the shuttle route. We would call an Uber and for around $6 we could get to the shuttle area. There were lots of restaurants on Broadway where our hotel shuttle would kindly take us and pick up (Only on slow midweek days_)

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks (much!) Suzanne.........

Batgirl76

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know if the precision cutters and sellers on the PS recommended list of vendors usually sell stones at the Tucson shows? If so, which cutters/sellers and which shows (open to the public shows)? Thanks :)

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I'm a bit late to the conversation but I'd love to meet up with Gene and Psers at the show! I went two years ago and was blown away. Last year I had planned to go but at the last minute had to cancel because we were moving.

I'm going to look for an Airbnb with at least a couple bedrooms...

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bumping this up due to Gene's newest post re: a meet up.......see Thread: Tucson 2019

currada

Rough_Rock
I see that AGL will be on site doing Gem Briefs. Does anyone know if it is only available to the trade? Their booth is in the AGTA convention and I read you have be in the trade to attend the AGTA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results