shape
carat
color
clarity

Tucson gem show wisdom from those that have gone...........

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Just starting to look at the show schedule for 2019 and planning to attend. I'd like input from those that have gone before.........which shows did you go to? Where are the vendors on this forum most likely to be found? I've read there are Professional only area's but also access for general public to area's Pro's are in. I'm sure there is plenty of room to wander and peruse, but am seeking info from anyone who has gone to this show, found treasures and can share a framework to make sense of so much information..........I fear it is so big it will be easy to 'get lost'!

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this idea. I know there are a couple ladies that have attended. I’d love to read more. :mrgreen2:

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi DigDeep, You are way ahead of me on the planning. I went this year and yes, I got lost and overwhelmed immediately. The first thing to do is book a room, and book it now. The prices are insane but come show time, the entire city is full. Thanks for the reminder, I'll book next week.
There are a ton of shows, so for sanity's sake I focused on just a few.
I enjoyed the 22nd street show. It's a line of tents that start with huge minerals and dwindles down to small booths of gemstones and cutters.
Riverpark Inn is a show I really liked. Lots of gemstone dealers in the tents and working out of little hotel rooms. Way more than just gems. Want a set of tourmaline drinking glasses? How about a Tibetan singing bowl?
As you are coming into town from the airport, you see two huge arenas. Those are for the trade only. Regular people (TM) like you and me can get in, but it costs $75 just to look. I didn't check it out, so I'm not sure if the $75 is for one day or the entire show.
What I'm going to do this year is scour the schedule and find our PS vendors. If that's too difficult, the I'll email them and ask about their booths. Then I'll have a plan of attack. I'm definitely going into the trade shows, that's where the big displays are. I can't wait.
I had a shopping list that went out the window on the first day. I was completely unprepared for the enormous number of shows. I'll pull up the list and give you more info later.
I arrived Tuesday of the second week which turned out to be perfect. The crowds were smaller (if that's possible) but the show was well on it's way.
I didn't rent a car which was good and bad. Uber was easy and quick and cheap until the weekend, when it wasn't. We (I went with a non gemstone friend who checked out all of the bars...:lol: ) could zip around, one show in the morning, lunch, another show, then fall asleep over dinner. I thought it would cost the same as renting as car, but we averaged $25 to $35/day. That's not bad for 2 people and no worries about parking. Haven't decided about this year..
That's all for now, I'm sure there are others who will chime in. It was an absolute blast. I'd love to meet up with you, schedules permitting.
Oh, and pack very little cause you will come back with a lot. Also, UPS has a booth to ship home any bigger items.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The name Tucson Gem show is a bit misleading. Stuff from the Earth show would be a better name, as gems only make up a small portion of what can be found at the shows. Many fossils, mineral samples, beads, tools, clothing, carvings, rugs, sinks... pretty much name it, and it's there.

The shows along How 10 are a good place to start out, and enough to keep you busy for several days. I normally park (free) at the GJ&M Show on W. Simpson street, have a quick look there, then walk over to the other shows along 10. The short walk saves fighting for a parking place and paying $5 an up to park.
Just make sure you get back to your car before 6 pm since they close and lock the gate, and your car will be locked inside.

Years ago, pretty much everything was cash, but now many dealers take a charge card which is nice. I use a card that gets points at the Sheraton Hotel, and every year I spend enough on the card to get points to cover my entire stay.

You may find that renting a car from a rental not on the airport is at time substantially less expensive, and can be a quick cab ride to the rental.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
THANKS Suzanne and Gene! This is exactly what I wanted. Nothing is better than hearing from veteran's that have experienced it first hand...........I will start looking for lodging now. I know I will enjoy the event and all the gems/vendors..........just need some navigational tools!!

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Have a look at these sites:

https://www.visittucson.org/events/gem-show/faq
https://jogsshow.com/tucson-gem-show-schedule/

There are almost different shows, and they don't all start at the same time. So unless you plan on spending over 1 week, you need to decide what shows you want to go to. I have been going for the past 16 years, and have my route down that I am able to do all my stops in just 2.5 days. It's good to get away from the shows and go into the desert too. There are some nice things to see around Tucson such as: https://www.desertmuseum.org

If you don't rent a car, there is a shuttle that makes the rounds to the various shows. But you still need a ride to one of the shows to get on this shuttle.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I took one look at the list of events/locations/dates and knew I was outnumbered!! We plan to rent a car but it is good to know about the shuttle as that gives more flexibility than driving and parking repeatedly. I agree that getting away from the city is also a priority. If you've been there for 16 years and have it down to 2 1/2 days..........I'm prepared to come away with a "I wish I would have..........." list after the first time attending. : ) Gene, are there certain vendors/shows that you hold in high regard?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! I think you need to decide what you want to purchase because there is tons of stuff, high end and low end. On the low end, there is tons of beads... everywhere. Then there is a lot of rough minerals and gemstones (e.g. big rough chunk of amethyst). On the higher end, there is nice jewelry.

For me, I prefer loose gemstones and if you are looking in that area, I found the main show at the convention center has the best to offer (I am not in the trade so I can only go to the Public only shows). Other shows had more pre-set jewelry and the gemstones were more the "buy it by the dozen" type. But if you want a bunch of small sapphires to make into a piece, that's out there too If you are looking for emeralds, there is an amazing Colombian emerald dealer at the main show at the convention center. He deals only in Colombian, loose stone, from Muzo and Chivor. I bought an emerald from him and could not be happier.

If you are looking for pre-made jewelry pieces, there is tons of that. Bring a checkbook as you will get better pricing if you pay cash.

I hope this helps.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wish I knew what I was going to purchase.......I've been looking for star sapphires or non-star sapphires with that ethereal asterism--but my understanding is those are usually heated and sold as 'regular' sapphires. Of course I want to see rare gem's just to see them in person--Paraiba's, grandiderite, etc. The 'emerald guy' would be interesting to me! I'm not looking for premade jewelry and have been known to get distracted by shiny objects like beads/gems for my personal jewelry making. Thanks for the info............this is helpful in getting a sense of focus........whether it sticks when I'm there time will tell!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh... I forgot to mention... if you want to do a side trip, I went to Tombstone and it was great! I love the old West! It’s only a short drive and while you are driving there (head south from Tucson)... it’s like open land... desert...so you can really imagine the Wild West!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing these...........their great!

familynurse

Rough_Rock
The show looks overwhelming but a lot of fun. I looked at the first link that Gene provided and it said dates on 2/2- 2/17. The gem and mineral show appears to start Feb 8th while the Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Showcase events starts Feb2. Does that sound right?

I would like to look at finished gems as well as rough for cabbing- would really like to obtain some dinosaur fossils for cabbing. So sounds like I should attend the second week to see a little bit of everything.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. And thanks to Gene for his links. I plan to start reading!

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have a look at these sites:

There are almost different shows, and they don't all start at the same time. So unless you plan on spending over 1 week, you need to decide what shows you want to go to. I have been going for the past 16 years, and have my route down that I am able to do all my stops in just 2.5 days. It's good to get away from the shows and go into the desert too. There are some nice things to see around Tucson such as: https://www.desertmuseum.org

If you don't rent a car, there is a shuttle that makes the rounds to the various shows. But you still need a ride to one of the shows to get on this shuttle.

Wow... 16 years...you are the pro!
I have only been once, this past February and I timed my trip to align with the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show. I read that show and all the other shows during that last week was best for beginners as there is a little bit of everything. I did see a little of everything, but I would like to focus more next year.

I am mostly interested in loose colored gemstones, and possibly some finished pieces with larger stones. The loose stones I am looking for are emeralds (Colombian) and rubies (Burma or Mozambique). I found almost no loose rubies of 2ct or larger and found only two Colombian emerald dealers (other booths has emeralds but the had only 2-3 stones they “happened to have” in a sea of other “stuff”).

May I ask what shows you would recommend that offer colored gemstones?

Thank you.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gene, you are the Gem Show Godfather.......in a good way! This has been a wild ride trying to find reasonable lodging........guess I should have started earlier. Not everyone is sold out, but more than I expected to see. Too bad there isn't a gem club or rock organization that could help virgin gem show visitors! You can't get started too early on logistics for this............

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The show looks overwhelming but a lot of fun. I looked at the first link that Gene provided and it said dates on 2/2- 2/17. The gem and mineral show appears to start Feb 8th while the Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Showcase events starts Feb2. Does that sound right?

I would like to look at finished gems as well as rough for cabbing- would really like to obtain some dinosaur fossils for cabbing. So sounds like I should attend the second week to see a little bit of everything.
Thanks to the OP for starting this thread. And thanks to Gene for his links. I plan to start reading!

The Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Show (TGMS) is the last show and closes out the entire "gem show" months. It is Feb 14-17, 2019. So for me, the big decision is whether to attends JOGS (on Jan 31 - Feb 11, 2019) or TGMS because sadly, they do not overlap.

I found a great emerald dealer at TGMS which is why I plan to return. However, if Gene responds back to my post above and says JOGS or anther earlier show has more emeralds and rubies, then I will go earlier as I really want to attend JOGS.

I went the last week and there is tons of rough so you might love that! I am talking buckets of the stuff! Any mineral you can think of... and if you like turquoise, especially Sleeping Beauty which is so beautiful and Robin's Egg blue, you should get some and make some beautiful cabs! There was tons of the stuff, but sadly, I don't know how to turn rough into anything! :)

familynurse

Rough_Rock
Sorry , I deleted my post.
I am so confused! In the first link that Gene posted it states the following under FAQ

When is the Tucson Gem, Mineral & Fossil Showcase?
February 2-17, 2019

When and where is the Tucson Gem & Mineral Show®?
It will be held at the Tucson Convention Center, February 8-11.

It seems that there would be some overlap. I am trying to decide when the best time would be to go.
I have just started taking lapidary classes on cabbing. I am a very slow learner but hope to have improved by Feb. :)
You responded:
by Miki Moto
This is what you need... the TGMS is always the last show of the season but there are tons others. JOGS is a big one and the public can go. I would love to go AGTA but that is trade only.

https://xpopress.com/showcase/shows/1/tucson-gem-mineral-fossil-showcase?sort=
Thank you for clearing up my confusion. What does JOGS stand for?

Miki Moto

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
JOGS stands for Jewelry and Organic Gem Show. This is a big show but I worry it may have too much preset jewelry and not a lot of loose emeralds and rubies (you can tell I am very focused on the stones I want).

Maybe @PrecisionGem can chime in and give more insight to JOGS.

I do think JOGS offers classes for jewelry making so you might like that.

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My shopping is most likely different than most of you here, as I am going for faceting rough, not cut stones or jewelry. I do buy cut sapphire from Sri Lanka to recut however.

My favorite show is the Pueblo Gem Show at the Riverpark Inn. There is a good mix of most everything here, and the layout is nice with most dealers in rooms, a larger tent with many dealers in the rear and some decent, but overpriced food. I normally arrive a day before the show officially opens, but most dealers are already set up and more or less open. With rough, the early bird gets the worm!

The 22nd Street show is a good show and one I recommend to Pricescoper's. You will find some mid range cut stones, fossils, a little bit or rough, finished jewelry and odds and ends. It's convenient and has parking, however last year they did start charging for parking.

I think for most people here, unless you are looking for beads and low end jewelry or tools, skip the Kino Gem & Mineral show.

Once you are at the Pueblo, walk down to the Days Inn for the GIGM Show, and back the other direction toward Howard Jonhsons and there are various interesting items along with faceted stones to see.

The JG&M Expo on Simpson street is worth a walk through, you will find a mix of gems, jewelry, some tools. There are a few guys here from Columbia with emeralds that are priced pretty well. It also has free parking, and you can make a short walk from here to the Pueblo and other shows along Hwy 10.

If minerals and fossils are your thing, then don't miss the Arizona Mineral & Fossil Show on Granada Ave. But there are also a lot of faceted cut stones here and a little bit of rough. Parking can be rough here now, as of last year they lost their biggest parking lot.

JOGS is a good show, lots of gemstones and jewelry items. This is a trade only event, but I think they do allow now trade people in, but you may need to pay some fee.

The big shows for high end gemstones are the GJX and AGTA, however unless you are in the trade you won't get in these. Some of the people who show at these however, are at the Pueblo in the days before these start.

I'll arrive in Tucson either on Jan 31 or Feb 1, and if anyone is interested in meeting up and hitting some shows with me then let me know. I do move quick, and don't stay long, I'll most likely fly out on Monday Feb 4th this time. The way the dates work out this year, the shows start a little late, and the Super Bowl starts early, I prefer being home for the game rather than watching it from my hotel.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gene, Thank you so much for explaining the shows and processes! I'm still trying to figure everything out........but I'm looking forward to following you for a day, if possible!

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Gene! What a lovely offer. You know what you are getting into, right? I have pictures in my head of you with a bevy of PSer's, loupes around their necks, following you like chicks after their mom. lol.
I just booked a room for the 4th thru the 8th, but that will have to change because I want to be one of those chicks...

Edit: Changed to 1st thru the 6th. I added in an extra day because why not? Now have to find flights...

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene! What a lovely offer. You know what you are getting into, right? I have pictures in my head of you with a bevy of PSer's, loupes around their necks, following you like chicks after their mom. lol.
I just booked a room for the 4th thru the 8th, but that will have to change because I want to be one of those chicks...

Edit: Changed to 1st thru the 6th. I added in an extra day because why not? Now have to find flights...

Gene will have a harem with him @PrecisionGem

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe we should think about a day to make a Pricescope field trip day in Tucson, if enough people are coming. Also, I always meet up for dinner in Tucson with another cutter I'm sure you all know. I'll check with him and see if he minds if we make it a bigger group dinner. Dinner is always at Guadalajara Original Grill on 1220 E Prince Rd. Fantastic salsa made right at your table.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe we should think about a day to make a Pricescope field trip day in Tucson, if enough people are coming. Also, I always meet up for dinner in Tucson with another cutter I'm sure you all know. I'll check with him and see if he minds if we make it a bigger group dinner. Dinner is always at Guadalajara Original Grill on 1220 E Prince Rd. Fantastic salsa made right at your table.

What are the dates again?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results