carat
color
clarity

Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaate

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: Trend Vent - Current Jewelry Things You Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Not so much on an 8-sided asscher cut, but on a sharp-cornered princess cut, yes. Even if the stone is in a v-cap setting, a good hit straight onto the corner can cause the stone to chip or break.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

Winks_Elf|1305552522|2922946 said:
Not so much on an 8-sided asscher cut, but on a sharp-cornered princess cut, yes. Even if the stone is in a v-cap setting, a good hit straight onto the corner can cause the stone to chip or break.

Thanks Winks_Elf. :) Funny thing, I didn't even like Asschers until I saw one set at an angle and then I got mesmerized.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Marym, you do look beautiful and elegant! I LOVE white ceramic watches several people mention they hate. I think it's good to have a place to discuss our thoughts on ubiquitous jewelry trends without it appearing like an attack on someone's certain piece. That's certainly not my intention.

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I have read this thread with interest. I am more of a lurker, but have wanted to post opinions at time. Now, I would never say anyone's personal jewelery is ugly, hideous, etc. I may not wear much of the jewelry posted, but we all have different tastes. I for one am glad for all the different tastes in people, it provides great variety, rather than everyone doing/wearing the exact same things. That being said, things I do not like (FOR ME) would include:

Rings w/gaps. Ok...this would drive me BATTY on myself, but I've seen people who like it or even prefer it. :errrr: The gap I'm referring to is if a ring would rock back and forth on a straight band, not the gap by a tapered ring. In fact, as I was looking for a 3 stone ring, one of my specifications is that it sit FLUSH w/my wband! :D

I don't care for the pandora bracelets. I also don't care for charm bracelets.

Stacking necklaces. Yeah, I see a tangled mess in the future.

Halos. I know there are so many people here who LOVE them, I am not one of them. Do I look at the Halo threads in the SMTB threads? Yes, because they are sparklie and I love people's enthusiasm when they get exactly what THEY wanted!

Princess cut diamonds...ok, My best friend and I differ on this. I don't like them (I do like them as an accent, but not the main stone) she adores them. It's fun for us to pick on each other, me with my love of rounds, hers w/her love of princess. :D

Too huge stones...ok, so this is PS blasphemy, but there are some stones that are just TOO big. I have large hands (size 7.75/8), and I have tried on a 2ct, it was too big for me....I'd love a 1.5 but even that would be HUGE to try to wear. Now, most people here LOVE them, including those who own them. That's wonderful for THEM, but not for me. :)

All that being said, I love yellow gold, I like white gold too, but love yellow best. Do I wear white? Yes, before it was all stolen. Would I buy more again? Yes, am planning on 2 rings in white w/one in yellow to stack together.

Again, this post is not meant to be offensive in any way. I love that there are so many different styles, that we all love different things. As I said, even if I don't care for a style, someone else does and that's great! There have been things mentioned on this thread that I love, that others hate! That's Great news for me! :D :D

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

I love my white ceramic Chanel watch.....and my black one, too! Never scratches and I can bang it on anything. Perfection for me :cheeky:

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

- princess cuts
- Tacori settings: I think they are waaay overpriced, and the prongs are almost always SO clunky
- super thin pave bands (1.8mm or less)
- BGD settings: I think they're ok but just very ordinary
- keys

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Okay, I have to ask - what does a ceramic watch look like?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

decodelighted|1305513450|2922745 said:
Wah wah wah. Geez. I have a Tiffany silver heart necklace and a ceramic watch and probably several more of the "offensive" items. SO WHAT. People not liking things DOES NOT AFFECT ME.

SERIOUSLY -- what is up with the sensitivity?
PMS.. :read: ;))

slg47

Ideal_Rock

if we're talking about spelling mistakes, can I throw in 'cutlet' and 'pendent'??

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

bean|1304991012|2916909 said:
6. Don't shoot me but bezel diamond necklaces and bracelets that have the bezel only around the girdle and leave the cutlet open. The design is GORGEOUS but a. ouch- isn't it pokey? b. doesn't it move around a lot and not lay flat? c. wouldn't it get dirty much faster?

I have a pendant with the bezel only around the girdle. a) slight poke, but it isn't bothersome and you always know your pendant is on. b) it does move around like crazy - this drives me nuts (and I actually rarely wear it b/c of this) I just bought an amethyst with the same style and it has a faceted/checkerboarded back and lays flat! Yay. c) it's easier to clean because I can reach the back. I've found basket settings MUCH harder to access.

Pretty much everything else has been covered. I'm not a fan of halos and especially of halo/stud jackets - I think of them in the cluster diamond category (sorry gals). And the other that was mentioned - too many stacked up rings! Maybe a thin band or two, but wearing like five bands at once? Huh?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Cozystitches|1305553932|2922962 said:
Too huge stones...ok, so this is PS blasphemy, but there are some stones that are just TOO big. I have large hands (size 7.75/8), and I have tried on a 2ct, it was too big for me....I'd love a 1.5 but even that would be HUGE to try to wear. Now, most people here LOVE them, including those who own them. That's wonderful for THEM, but not for me. :)

I can't stand the feeling on my wrists, but do like the look of the white ceramic watches!

And, yeah, the too big of diamond. There's one I swear looks SO big on the finger that I looked at it over in my photoshop program to see if it was enhanced! lol I do think the over stacking of large eternity with large diamonds is overkill/out of proportion.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock

MC|1305565779|2923132 said:
bean|1304991012|2916909 said:
I'm not a fan of halos and especially of halo/stud jackets - I think of them in the cluster diamond category (sorry gals).

OK, I'll bite. What's wrong with clusters? :naughty:

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

princesss|1305561997|2923067 said:
Okay, I have to ask - what does a ceramic watch look like?

Like this:

chanel-J12-H2423-white-ceramic-diamond-unisex-watch.jpg

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Laila619|1305560997|2923056 said:
- princess cuts
- Tacori settings: I think they are waaay overpriced, and the prongs are almost always SO clunky
- super thin pave bands (1.8mm or less)
- BGD settings: I think they're ok but just very ordinary
- keys

*Checking my E-ring's prongs* :read:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

My 2 ceramics:

The black has a smaller face...white one is much bigger.

-1.jpg

-2.jpg

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Okay, thanks for the pics! I've never seen anything like those before.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

princesss|1305581071|2923400 said:

I really like them because its really hard to scratch them or break them...very durable :)

kelpie

Ideal_Rock

Autumnovember- those are fantastic! I can't believe you have a white and a black chanel. So versatile!

I'm in the market for a white ceramic but I will probably end up with the cheapest I find that has a swiss movement and a sapphire crystal. I just adore your Chanels though. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

princesss

Ideal_Rock

Autumnovember|1305581375|2923406 said:

I really like them because its really hard to scratch them or break them...very durable :)

Haha, durable is definitely something I need! Though I can't see myself wearing something like that (I tend towards much more delicate pieces), it's definitely more practical than the antique diamond watches I lust after, haha.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

kelpie|1305581802|2923410 said:
Autumnovember- those are fantastic! I can't believe you have a white and a black chanel. So versatile!

I'm in the market for a white ceramic but I will probably end up with the cheapest I find that has a swiss movement and a sapphire crystal. I just adore your Chanels though. :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Thank you! I would have never been able to get them if FI didn't have a great hookup in CT!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

princesss|1305581939|2923413 said:
Autumnovember|1305581375|2923406 said:

Haha, durable is definitely something I need! Though I can't see myself wearing something like that (I tend towards much more delicate pieces), it's definitely more practical than the antique diamond watches I lust after, haha.

They definitely aren't for everyone ;-) Antique watches are beautiful.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

This is probably sure to offend, but I don't like Pandora or the Pandora knockoffs very much. Just not my thing.

I'm usually not a haloed diamonds fan. (I do like ballerina style diamond rings and I love colored stone haloes but I have seen very few haloed diamonds I like). the truth is (need to put on flamesuite), even when haloes are on very large diamonds, it still seems as if the person is trying to make their stone look bigger, rather than aesthetically pleasing, usually to me. I KNOW this is not true, so please forgive. But it's always my first reaction (and I'm sure this is probably just only me).

I don't care for lots of sidestones that look as if they're pretending to be an antique ring with filigree. I'd rather have less teeny tiny little diamonds encrusted all over and have actual filigree.

I don't like rings that look uncomfortable. Some of the eternity rings with larger stones that I've seen posted, where the person can't hold their fingers together anymore just make me say 'ouch!' when I see them and they're not even on me.

I strongly prefer diamonds over 2.5 carats to be fancies. Like, emerald cut or asscher, preferably. Oval is nice, too. I have rarely seen a 3 carat round brilliant (or bigger than that) that didn't look like a golf ball to me (though I have seen SOME.)

On the other hand, I don't like asschers or princesses--on me. I love them on other people. I've seen such pretty pictures here on P'scope that I went to try an asscher on in the store. Square diamonds do not work on me.

On the other hand, I love yellow gold and I love marquise diamonds (up to about 1.5 carats, after that they look like weapons to me) so maybe I am just stuck in a timewarp..? Except, I do love platinum also. Have some white gold, but not a huge fan of it. I want my white metals to be either platinum or silver (NOT rhodium plated, another pet peeve), but gold should be gold in my world--and as yellow as possible (love high karat, except where it's impractical, like in gemstone rings.)

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Obviously, I posted before I read this time.
I see I am not original, everyone else dislikes what I dislike (mostly).
but I bet nobody else LOVES marquise.

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Oh, I forgot.

I hate most of the celebrity rings most of the time.

I do go and look at the thread, though, not very often, but like an moth drawn to a fire...

And then I always think think, Ew, all that money and no taste.

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium

jmho
Not really a new style, but I don't like clustery jewelry, with lots of small, usually low quality gems or diamonds clustered together, whether it be in a ring or bracelet or pendant. The worst offenders I've seen are usually ruby, sapphire, emerald jewelry where people may buy it because it's "RUBY" rather than any intrinsic beauty of the piece or gemstone.

Invisible set princess stones. That and really really small pave, seems likely to lose a stone a b*tch to fix.

Never been into halo look. But I didn't realize other people didn't care for them.

I don't mind Pandora and David Yurman but not at that pricetag.

Tastes change. When I was younger I disliked big yellow gold jewelry, especially when worn in layers.
Now I wish I had some big bold yellow gold jewelry :tongue: . I also like petite multistrand necklaces, which is pretty similar to the layered necklaces look.

I'm guilty of liking bezels, variations on the journey pendant and the ethnic/tropical look for summer jewelry though I admire it more than I wear it!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Autumn, I covet your J12 with the ruby markers: if they ever come out with a rectangular version of it, I am snapping it up!

Black Jade, totally with you on the marquise love. They're highly under-appreciated for stones with such a lovely pedigree!

One of the things I'm rather liking about this thread is that it's introducing me to new things - KSinger, I had never seen the original StoryWheels - those are awesome! The new ones, sadly, a little less so. Meh to watered-down imitations - that may be my one big non-grammatical hate. The inevitable knock-offs and low-rent versions that trail along behind any big trend!

Black Jade

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks, Circe.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock

Circe|1305593912|2923560 said:
Autumn, I covet your J12 with the ruby markers: if they ever come out with a rectangular version of it, I am snapping it up!

Thank you! Ooooohhh rectangular!!! :love: :love: :love: They are due for some new watch designs, maybe soon!??!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I actually like some "journey" pendants - to me they're a nice little tracery of diamonds (assuming they're not tooooo small). I just don't care for how they're marketed.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results