shape
carat
color
clarity

totally new thing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 11:38:34 AM
Author: lumpkin

Date: 2/23/2007 10:41:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Sometimes I really worry about the impact of internet sales on how diamonds will end up being cut - you know... cut so that like you said, they all look alike - they''re all in the same ranges, and they''re cut to conform to an idealscope or a H&A viewer. Rather that they''re ALL cut like that. It''s still something to behold out in the real world, but if all diamonds were like that how bland would that be... I dunno, I like my weird stone and I''m more than happy to be in the quirky stone group even if I don''t have a round LOL
It''s a really interesting question. The internet is very good at rationalizing inefficient markets and the diverse, variated mom and pop and B&M jewelers represented a market ripe for change. Considering that early adopters of internet diamond purchases are probably rather analytical people it is predictable that the math and the quantification would be important decision drivers on such a sight unseen purchase.

From the point of view of an internet vendor he is probably evaluating stones on his site for their "internet saleability" as much as anything else. Supply will fill this demand so we see more stones that share similar features.

Inevitably things change. Right now we see huge demand for "customization" for many goods, especially web pages, personal websites, iPods, personal computers, cell phones, even automobiles. (The Scion line from Toyota is specifically custom oriented).

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 11:38:34 AM
Author: lumpkin

Date: 2/23/2007 10:41:16 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Sometimes I really worry about the impact of internet sales on how diamonds will end up being cut - you know... cut so that like you said, they all look alike - they''re all in the same ranges, and they''re cut to conform to an idealscope or a H&A viewer. Rather that they''re ALL cut like that. It''s still something to behold out in the real world, but if all diamonds were like that how bland would that be... I dunno, I like my weird stone and I''m more than happy to be in the quirky stone group even if I don''t have a round LOL
I used to wonder about that, too. Personally, I think there are too many people who really don''t care about perfect cut and are not very particular. They want a size and a price range, and possibly a color and clarity, and they want to go to X jeweler and put it in Y setting. Most people I know just don''t care and would think I was totally off balance for being on a diamond board (who DOES that???). Oh, well. Actually, on the boards the super ideals are really common, but in real life, not at all! AND, Beacon, I think a GIA excellent is still way beyond what most people in real life have. You''ve got a winner!
I think I emphasized the wrong thing... what concerns me is that diamonds are being fine tuned for a 2D environment and yet they exist in a 3D world. I think the reason some of these diamonds that are "outside the box" do so well is because they exist in 3D - and I''d bet some of these diamonds wouldn''t do as well in 2D. I am making note that most of these people who are loving their quirky stones have higher crowns... I''m wondering what beacon''s crown is.

If I were to pick a round I would first pick a crown angle, crown height, and table that I wanted and THEN pick a corresponding pav angle.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
another

multicolorresize.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Wow, James Allen gives great customer service. A Fedex just came to my house with the setting my old stone used to sit in. That was fast! I was able to place the new one loose in the prongs. It gets it away from the terrifying gold ring holder!

Can you tell I am wearing pink today?
1.gif

loose settingresize.jpg

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beacon, it''s a truly lovely stone and you can really tell how much color it gives off. Congratulations on such a fantastic find!!
30.gif
30.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much everyone!

I am being unproductive this morning because I am having so much fun photographing this stone.

DeeJay, like yours this one also has 85% lower mains - I think long lower mains are really nice.

loose in prongs3resize.jpg

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
A D with blue? Welcome to the ''ruined forever'' club. Glad you could join us.
36.gif
2.gif

That stone is freakin GORGEOUS. Talk about fabulous...I don''t care which numbers say what. Those arrows, good LORD.
30.gif

sunshine14

Shiny_Rock
That stone is absolutely STUNNING!! Congrats!

I also love the new pics with it resting in your old setting...makes me think that a SC tiffany replica would be amazing for that beauty!!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/23/2007 1:41:45 PM
Author: Beacon

DeeJay, like yours this one also has 85% lower mains - I think long lower mains are really nice.

Beacon, I didn't even know what LGFs were when I saw my stone, I just knew that something about it spoke to me and I have come to believe it was the long LGFs. How funny is that--the thing I like so much is one of the things that makes it not ideal!

You stone looks great sitting on top of your old setting--I can't want to see it in its permanent new home!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2007 8:40:58 PM
Quirky - it''s somewhat outside the usual of what you might expect to see, especially on this forum.

It''s a 2.57 D, SI1 with strong blue fluorescense and a 59 table and a pretty bad HCA score. It reminds me of the movie Seabiscuit, where the owner says, ''the horse is too small, the jockey is too big, the trainer is too old and I''m too dumb to know the difference''.

I really like this stone. It produces some very remarkable colors. I just got it today and it is rainy and stormy here in San Francisco. The stone showed all sorts of colors as I drove it home from steely grey to aqua green. Then it could also be as ice white as a glacier.

I think that the fact that it is D and Strong blue somehow gives it a kick. It has a lot of personality. It is not foggy or hazy at all.

Nancy Stacy appraised it and we had so much fun playing with this stone and kicking the tires. I wanted something just a little bigger than the stone I had before without getting super huge. I think it''s just right for me!

I just love this description. LOL

Lovely stone btw.
You know you''ve only prolonged the never-ending search for the perfect setting. (good luck with that!
41.gif
)

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 4:32:20 PM
Author: sevens one

You know you''ve only prolonged the never-ending search for the perfect setting. (good luck with that!
41.gif
)

ha, so true
41.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I drove the stone down to Joe Escobar Jewelers in San Jose and they are setting the stone into the old setting from my old stone. They feel they can make it work and are so nice - they are doing it same day. This will be great so that I can use this as a temporary while I sort out the ''real'' setting.

I was so nervous to leave it there - why did I pick now to stop drinking??
2.gif
I hope it goes ok.
40.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your new stone, Beacon! Wear it in good health!

I saw that you had an appraisal done by Nancy Stacy; I am in the Bay Area and was thinking about using her to look at a stone from ERD before I purchase it. Did you find her to be thorough and easy to work with? Does she use IS and ASET? Other tools? Does she allow the customer to be somewhat "hands on" in a purchase verification setting?

Sorry for the threadjack--

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous stone.. i can''t wait to see it set!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 5:50:29 PM
I drove the stone down to Joe Escobar Jewelers in San Jose and they are setting the stone into the old setting from my old stone. They feel they can make it work and are so nice - they are doing it same day. This will be great so that I can use this as a temporary while I sort out the ''real'' setting.

2.gif
I hope it goes ok.
40.gif
well, atleast you''ll be able to wear and enjoy it while you search

bino_woman.jpg
p_tr_birdwatch.jpg

gobbins%20bird%20watching%20queens.jpg

35.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

NAN--you are such a scream; those "search" pictures!!!!!!
9.gif
face20.gif

cheers--Sharon

StarSpun

Shiny_Rock
I just love the stone....I think it''s beautiful. D with SB really does it for me I guess!
Congrats and enjoy, it''s a beauty!!!!

:)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beacon, congrats on your new stone--it''s quite beautiful! I really love how you describe it as "quirky" and the reference to Seabiscuit is hilarious. Enjoy finding a new setting! (Yes, maybe this wasn''t such a great time to stop drinking--LOL!)
9.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Oooo. A D color diamond! You must post pics of your new ring as soon as it''s done. Congrats. It looks great.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 7:00:47 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Congratulations on your new stone, Beacon! Wear it in good health!

I saw that you had an appraisal done by Nancy Stacy; I am in the Bay Area and was thinking about using her to look at a stone from ERD before I purchase it. Did you find her to be thorough and easy to work with? Does she use IS and ASET? Other tools? Does she allow the customer to be somewhat ''hands on'' in a purchase verification setting?

Sorry for the threadjack--

Nancy did not exactly do a full appraisal; she helped me evaluate the stone compared with one I already had. Now that I have the stone in a setting (of sorts) I will have her do a full appraisal for insurance. She is a lovely, charming person who I really enjoyed meeting and working with. She has a lot of experience.

As for the tools and so on - I recommend you call her and check what she does compared with what you want. She is very straightforward and should be able to give you a full picture.

Good luck with your stone.
1.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/23/2007 7:41:21 PM
Author: sevens one

Date: 2/23/2007 5:50:29 PM

2.gif
I hope it goes ok.
40.gif
well, atleast you''ll be able to wear and enjoy it while you search

bino_woman.jpg
p_tr_birdwatch.jpg

gobbins%20bird%20watching%20queens.jpg

35.gif

This is utterly hilarious!!!
9.gif
9.gif
Thanks for this, especially since I love birds. Yes, the search is on.

The folks at Joe Escobar did a fine job getting my new stone into the old setting and I worked with Eric who is great and very knowledgeable. They have a rather eye catching amount of bling on display in that store! I am happy now that the stone has a temporary home and I can actually wear it instead of carrying it around in the gold ring holder
14.gif

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
now that it''s in the temp setting it''s looking like a happy ring.

I have done the worst thing: I''ve fallen in love with my own ring. Usually I just love *other* people''s rings.

Who knew that I would love strong blue so much or a stone with a 3.8 HCA? It''s not very zen to love a possession so much, so I need to get over it, but for now I am stuck on it.

on hand tilt resize1.jpg

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
-

on handredresize 3.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Incredible!!!! I love it; please don''t change it; gorgeous!!!
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 4:00:15 PM
now that it''s in the temp setting it''s looking like a happy ring.

I have done the worst thing: I''ve fallen in love with my own ring. Usually I just love *other* people''s rings.

Who knew that I would love strong blue so much or a stone with a 3.8 HCA? It''s not very zen to love a possession so much, so I need to get over it, but for now I am stuck on it.
I totally KWYM - both in terms of not wanting that attachment and yet... having that attachment!! LOL I bet an aset shot would have a ton of green in it hehehe ;D

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/24/2007 4:00:15 PM
I have done the worst thing: I've fallen in love with my own ring. Usually I just love *other* people's rings.

No no Beacon, you're done exactly the BEST thing! It's much better to love your own ring more than other people's!!!

It night not be *zen*, but with that gorgeous big rock you should achieve diamond nirvana!
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring looks beautiful Beacon! A solitaire really shows off a diamond!

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Wow~ that''s such beautiful ring, Beacon.

Just like Diamondseeker2006''s reply~ that beautiful diamond really stands out~!
It also works great with the wedding band. Would a setting too fancy contradict with the gorgeous wedding band that''s already so much in style on its own?

p.s. I love that wedding band!
18.gif

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
It is such a beautiful diamond! What a great find. I love it in a solitare.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s the TEMP setting Beacon?!
6.gif
It''s fantastic. Really. I''m with Skippy, please don''t change it!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results