shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn..

Aven

Rough_Rock
Hello all,
I picked up a purchase from the post office today that has brought me out of lurkerdom. Its a tsavorite eterinty band that's from ebay, I know another pser bought and then returned it to the seller not too long ago. My engagement ring is tsavorite and I love it, I have been wanting more of that tsav green for a while now, and since my DH is not too keen on upgrading to larger stone, I thought an eternity band might just do the trick. It does. ....but the green of the eternity band doesn't quite mesh with the green of my ering. The band's tsavs are a medium dark green with a strong blue undertone, my ering's stone is considered medium dark as well but it doesn't have as strong of a blue undertone, I don't want to say that my ering stone has yellow undertones but when the band is next to it, it can seem that way in comparison. I don't like this, I love my stone and I love its color, I find myself wishing the band's stones were a truer green, closer to my stones tone.

That being said, I love the band by itself. I am nuts about pretty much anything tsavorite and here I have an eternity ring full of them! Not to mention its my size and very nicely worked and the price wasn't too bad. It was labeled as an estate piece from the seller and a few of the stones do have some nicks, but that doesn't bother me much as that's what happens when you wear and enjoy your jewelry, other than that I think its pretty nice quality.

So I am torn, do I return the ring and possibly try and go the custom route to get an eternity ring that is closer to my ering stone's tone, or do I enjoy it for what it is and have a slightly off color set?

Here are some photos (phone camera, not great), irl the difference between the tsavs seems pretty noticeable but can anyone else see a difference in tones? Is it cause enough to send a tsavorite ring like this one back? Any opinions or advice is appreciated.

ps please excuse how dirty my ER looks :)

2011-08-13 15.12.17.jpg

2011-08-13 11-1.01.36.jpg

2011-08-13 15.11.56.jpg

2011-08-13 15.34.13.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like the way the three rings look in the picture. Would this be a ring you would wear if you were not wearing your engagement ring? If so, perhaps that is reason enought to keep it.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I really like it!

KaeKae

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooooo, I love the three rings together. I'm thinking that if I were sitting across a table from you, I'd just thank the difference in tone comes from the difference in size, plus the eternity ring stones being so close together in a channel setting, rather than an actual difference in color.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I think the three rings together look amazing! Post more pics please :twirl:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes your e-ring is more yellow and the band more blue BUT if the stones were all exactly the same colour it might look a bit unnatural. I love the different subtle nuances. However, if you don't like it then you should send it back. Unless the colours are miles apart, personally I'd keep it.

I like the 3 rings together and it's only fussy PS'ers like us that notice things like this :D

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Your rings are all beautiful, but I'm going to disagree with the crowd on this one. I don't like the look of colors that almost but don't quite match, at least on the same finger. I'd rather have either the same shade of green or something completely different (like your diamond band) if they're going to be on the same finger. I'd keep it and wear it on your other hand, though!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I think that absolutely identical green colors of the ring and the band would clash...look at it his way, if toy were to wear a green skirt and a green blouse, you would choose different colors of green, and probably use a white belt, would you not? Same concept. Your combination looks pretty.

Aven

Rough_Rock
Jstar - a good chunk agrees with you, they are off just enough to make me unsure about it. I did get this ring to wear with my wedding set, I am not even sure if it fit on my right, its a pretty excellent fit on my left.

Aven

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all everyones nice comments! I guess my hang up is that my er stone isn't as blue toned as the band, and while I do really love and prefer the bright open green of my er, it reminds me of newly leafed trees in May :lickout: , but I know IDEALLY that tsavs can have a little more blue undertone, like the band. I just don't want to find myself negatively comparing the two tones of green. Does that make sense, is that silly? Color comparison syndrome haha! I am going to give my self until Monday to decide how I really feel about it, I like it but at the same time its not 100% what I was wanting.

Sphenequeen - I do really like just the bands together but the only I really take my ering off is at the gym and the eternity band would not fare well there =) I just cant bear to leave it off any other time.

LD- First off I just want to say I LOVE the stone in your avatar! Normally I am a huuuuge fan of eclectic or off kilter jewelry pared together, esspecially unique wedding sets, I think am just trying to decide if this one is a hit or a miss with me. Unfortuneately I think I am little fussy when it comes to greens and tsavs are my favorite green :Up_to_something:

Aven

Rough_Rock
Crasru - I get what you are saying about the matchy matchy thing, but I dont know that I could ever get an identical color to my main stone, I just feel this may not be different enough while at the same time not being close enough either.

Geez I am really on the fence here aren't I? I hope tomorrow brings some clarity. Does this ever happen to anyone else, you get something you love on its own but you were intending to pair it with something?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aven thank you for your lovely words.

I've just re-read all your posts again and I wonder if the issue is that you love your ER but would have preferred it to have a blue tone? Your description of how you see its colour is very romantic though!

If you love greens AND the eternity band fits on your right hand do you think it may be worth keeping? Clearly you love the colour and it's very very pretty. I can understand totally that if it's not quite right it will annoy you. I'm the same. Colours have to exactly match what's in my head otherwise my heart doesn't follow!

I think it's an excellent idea that you're thinking about it. Please do let us know what you decide.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yup! I'm finding that internet shopping (rather than trying on in person) has it's drawbacks. However, if you love the ring, keep it. There will be times you want to wear a band (and not your ering) and it looks great with your diamond band too.

Aven

Rough_Rock
LD - There are times when I do wish it had a little more blue undertone, it has some (which is hard to see compared to the band) but both direct, indirect and flourescent lightings there is slight blue undertone and the stone just sings! And of course in incandesent that blue tone does get lost, I wouldnt say that it fully looks like it has yellow in it, it just looks more of a pure green, does that make sense... anyway a while ago I was looking into upgrading to a slightly larger stone but similar color with possibly a hint more blue (blue never hurts) but Dh told me that when it came to my ering he should be the one to do anything to it. So by then I had the itch to have more green, side stones perhaps since we always planned to reset it out of the simple solitaire its in (I am still working on talking him into this idea :Up_to_something: ) in the mean time I came across this eternity ring, its just not quite the color I was hoping for, but very nice non the less.

As with everyone in CS forum I am a bit of an addict when it comes to colored stones, each one has it beauty and each one is unique, thats why its so hard decide. Maybe I am more hoarder... haha, "wasn't exactly what I am looking for, but maybe I will keep it and add it to the collection anyway"...

Aven

Rough_Rock
yennyfire - I think someone needs to invent some sort of real-time, true to life holograph fax machine so we our colored stones better! :D

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Keep it! It's so pretty. I'm with the non-matchy bunch. More interesting & subtle. Love the 3 rings together & as somebody else said, not a soul except us gem addicts would notice they have different modifiers, especially w/the diamond band in between. It's a wonderful look.

-- Laurie

Aven

Rough_Rock
natsplat- here are some more pics =) sorry about the quality, I dont have a macro lens for my canon so I couldn't get good ones with it, so I used my phone camera instead.

2011-08-13 10-1.48.17.jpg

2011-08-13 17-1.41.12.jpg

2011-08-13 17.41.26.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I love the eternity band, but if you don't love it...how about getting a quote from some vendors and seeing if that route would work for you before returning the ring?

Aerix

Shiny_Rock
I personally think the color difference would bother me, but it's a beautiful eternity ring. I'd be on the fence too! ;-) I know you mentioned considering going custom if you return it and I thought I'd mention a couple of things I've seen on Etsy.

One is this 5-stone tsavorite ring that looks a bit close to your e-ring's color: http://www.etsy.com/listing/69852595/tsavorite-green-garnet-and-14k-yellow?ref=sc_1

Also, I know one or two people on here have had custom rings made by MasterGoldCraft on Etsy. He's got some round tsavorites listed in his loose gemstone shop and I know he also makes eternity bands:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/27383720/25mm-tsavorite-green-garnet-rounds-31?ref=v1_other_1
http://www.etsy.com/shop/mastergold..._shop_ttt_id_5308472&shopname=mastergoldcraft

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aven,
Kudos to you for having an unusual and rare engagement ring! The eternity band is also lovely. I'm not sure that the difference between the tsavorites is a question of modifiers. I think it's a question of tone. Those in the band are darker that that in your e-ring, based on what I can see. If the tsavorites in your band have a strong blue modifier, keep it! I've been told that strong blues account for a mere 1% of all gem quality tsavorites.

Aven

Rough_Rock
Pregcurious - while I like it by its self I think its just a little too dark emerald green color for what I was wanting, I did contact a couple of vendors just a bit ago to see what all my options are. I am looking forward to hearing from them and going from there.

Xirah - Thank for this! I have seen that 5 stone before and it is very pretty, much closer to the green I am looking for but its a good bit more than what I paid for this current one, also I am really digging the full step cut eternity style :) Mastergoldcraft might be someone I can get in touch with about this possible project though :naughty:

Harriet - Thank you, I am so in love with my tsav, I think hands down they are my favorite stone. At some point I am hoping to reset it with two matching cushion tsav side stones, that would be my ultimate holy grail of a ring :love:
The rarity part is what's killing me in this decision, I think you are right about tone rather than modifier, it is just a little darker than what I was wanting, but I know how hard it is to find really nice tsavs with a blue modifier, these are nice medium dark, tsavorite with a blue undertone. It doesnt suit what I wanted it for but its so very nice on its own, unfortunately it doesn't fit on my other hand and I am just stuck on which way to go. I want to hoard it away for what it is but I also know I will be left still wanting an eternity ring that matches better with my ering.... oh the woes of loving beautiful gemstones! ;(

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aven,
Is keeping the band and getting another with lighter-toned tsavorites doable? The tsavorites in your current band are gorgeous (I'm super picky about tsavorites).

Aven

Rough_Rock
Harriet - That's what I am checking on, it really depends on the quotes I get from the vendors. But deep down I feel guilty about being that excessive... buuuuttt that would be ideal.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I won't be a bad influence then. :)

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's something I do when I'm really torn ................ package it back up as if you're going to send it back. Do you keep wanting to open the package to see it again? Do you delay going to the Post Office to send it back? Will you have a regret when your standing in the Post Office waiting for them to process the parcel? If yes, you need to keep it. Very few pieces will make you feel this way and even if you commission a piece, there's no guarantee you'll feel the same way about that one.

If you can safely say you'll return it with no (or fewer) regrets then the answer is simple ........... back it goes!

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with LD above ~ it looks so beautiful on your hand and with your other rings
and I can see what you are saying and I would hate to have your dilemma right now !!!!!

I have to say, if it were me, the difference in color would probably bug me .....
AAAAAAAAAAAAA !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I said it !!!!!

My personal Tsavorite ring seems to my eyes to be a true grass-green
like yours..
AND I ADORE IT !!!!! It is one of my FAVORITE rings :love: :love: :love:
but if I were wearing it along with a bluer green ring, I would
notice it, definitely !!!
I think it would bug me.
For that reason, when I multi-ring, I wear it with my Spinel or my Red Spess...
I sound like a crazy.

I have to say this, is there ANY WAY for some jeweler to just slightly enlarge these kind of eternity rings?
Maybe by finding a really good match for the stone and then somehow incorporating it into the band?
Is that a crazy idea?
Because then it could fit your Right hand?
I am actually just wondering because I LOVE LOVE LOVE that emerald band.....
but SIZE 6 ?!?!?!?!?!? (not to mention, but it probaby wouldn't match with my beauty of a blue-green emerald ring ) :lol:

Aven

Rough_Rock
Harriet - your not a bad influence =) I heard back from one vendor about some possible step cut tsav melee and if I can find a reasonable goldsmith or jeweler to put the ring together it might very well be do able.

Ld- I will try that, I think the only regret would be that I am sending back an eternity ring full hard to find quality tsavs.

Shiney - Thanks for understanding my debacle. I have always heard that it wasn't possible to resize an eternity ring, I think the integrity of the ring would be lost if you tried to stretch it and squeeze in a new stone.

When I woke up this morning the difference didn't bother me as much... maybe because I knew it would be there.... but I still have all day to wear it and look at it. Also DH comes home from duty today and he is always good at helping me see clearly. Its a good thing today is Sunday because right now there is no way the ring is coming off, my knuckle is so swollen for taking my rings on and off yesterday that I now cant get any of them off!

Aven

Rough_Rock
Since I am checking on the possibility of getting a closer matching ring made do any of you know who does good gold work but is reasonable in price? I don't know how hard it is to set an eternity ring, so I am not sure what caliber of skill is needed. Who would be good to contact about possibly doing this job?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results