shape
carat
color
clarity

Torn between three excellent/ideal cut diamonds

Sahr521

Rough_Rock
I am very new to this. I tried to use everything I learned on this forum to pick three James Allen stones that are triple excellent cut, H color or better, totally eye clean, pass the HCA test and meet my stretched budget. I picked the three stones below and am set to see them in person next week. I don't really trust my eyes, but I chose to see them in person over getting idealscope images sent to me. I would really appreciate if anyone has any thoughts on any of these stones and if any of them stand out either positively or negatively. I realize that the 1.37 is a little deep, but it seems like it performs well and I like the slightly larger size. If you think all three of the stones fail to make the cut or that all three are winners that would be extremely helpful too. I still have about 5 weeks until I plan to propose. Thank you in advance for all your help.

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.30-carat-h-color-if-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-822702

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.37-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1950301

https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.29-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1961272

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They all look nice. I would get an idealscope on the 1.37 due to the depth. You are pretty high on the clarity scale...for the
2 stones. Some times you find them at a good price and it's not too much extra but if they are a lot extra for the clarity I would
probably drop down to VS1/VS2 (I even go eye-clean SI1...but that's me).

Why are you not getting idealscopes? Do you not want them to sway your in person impression? I would probably still request them.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, you have chosen some nice stones, but you need the idealscope images before you go see them. I'd eliminate the one that is too deep and try to find another that has better numbers. It visually won't be as big as a 1.37 that isn't too deep. I kind of like the first one the best, but I would want to see idealscope images on it. I would very much compare color of the first and last one and see which is the higher color. GIA is a little stricter on color when the color is borderline.

Sahr521

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much. When I spoke with them, I was told that I could either get the ASET/Idealscope images sent to me or see the actual diamonds in the showroom, not both. I believe the reason might be that two of the stones are located outside of New York. They told me that they thought an in person visit would be more helpful. I am operating under the assumption that the gemologist will have an idealscope available and let me look through it, but I could be wrong on that. If the idealscope on the 1.37 looks good, should it still be eliminated? I realize it won't face up as a large as a shallower cut 1.37, but it will still look larger than the two others I am considering and is slightly cheaper. I was open to eye clean VS2 stones, but couldn't seem to find any on James Allen that were much cheaper/had as nice optical symmetry as the ones I selected.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer the 1.3 H over the other 2 also. The 1.29 doesnt look as crisp to me but it could be the photog or not even noticeable in
person. Being able to see them in person should help you pinpoint which one you prefer. My concern with the deep one is
that it may look good in JA lighting but in different situations it may not perform as well as the other 2 due to the depth. AND
hopefully you will be able to look at them under an idealscope. Make sure you know what to look for before you go.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results