shape
carat
color
clarity

Tire-kicker question: are my side stones too small?

Side stones?

• Too small; put them back in the ground and hope they grow.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • Big enough; go ahead and use them.

Votes: 52 66.7%
  • No more Bling-Somnia! Go back to sleep.

Votes: 6 7.7%

• Total voters

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This is not my ring - but it could be.
I am kicking an idea around right now.

I have been enjoying looking at the PS threads with OEC three-stone rings lately and can't seem to get the style out of my head. So I have been googling, at 4 am, as one does.
Saw the below pictures and released that I have the stones to make a ring just like this.
Sort of.
DSC01932.jpg
DSC01947.jpg
Source: Romanov

Do you think the side stones are too small?
My ring size would be 7.5 to 7.75, my central stone is 6.5mm and my side stones are 4mm.
Does this proportion work?
69E217DB-0D7C-453F-8EFF-9F57F6387BC8.jpeg
Calling @Rfisher just in case the urge exists to photoshop just for funsies!

Last edited:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
No, not if their job is to support the centre stone, to provide finger coverage, the centre stone being the star

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the 3 stones would nice together, but to my eyes the 4mm should be either even smaller so as to be clearly accent stones, or else even larger to make for a more proportional (to me) three-stone combo.

FWIW, I'd see if I could find an OEC pair to go in-between, for a graduated OEC five-stone ... ooh la la

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The eternal burning question- HA!
I cannot answer your question. actually think I no longer have a preference in diameter ratio for sidestones.
After seeing smaller sidestones, I thought about redoing mine.
After seeing larger sidestones, I thought about redoing mine.
See where I am going? There’s no right or wrong.
My opinion? If you make a three stone with what you have, I think it will look lovely. Will it look like the Romanov proportions? Not really, IMO.
And what is those silly Romanov’s thinking with not letting us see a side view? The insanity! Jeez.

Here’s my best guesstimate at perspective, without taking tilt into consideration, so take that with a grain of salt.
17BCCA1F-F9B0-49DF-96BD-889D73B5DE9D.jpeg

@PreRaphaelite
I didn’t get the notification you called me. Did you get this notification? Is it working for others?

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Your stones will form a gorgeous trio! Great proportions that please my eyes.

Last edited:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I cannot answer your question. actually think I no longer have a preference in diameter ratio for sidestones.
My opinion? If you make a three stone with what you have, I think it will look lovely. Will it look like the Romanov proportions? Not really, IMO.
And what is those silly Romanov’s thinking with not letting us see a side view? The insanity! Jeez.

Here’s my best guesstimate at perspective, without taking tilt into consideration, so take that with a grain of salt.

@PreRaphaelite
I didn’t get the notification you called me. Did you get this notification? Is it working for others?

Thank you so much for your generosity in spending time on this! I am really grateful to you. The mock up makes the ring so much more compelling. I used to have such a clear imagination, but now seeing pictures is the only way I can come to a decision.
Old Age! Ppffft!

Anyway, it does look ok to my eye. I’ll have to figure out a ballpark budget, since I‘ve never had a ring made. (They say there’s a first time for everything!)

More thanks to everyone who responded! I’m open to people’s opinions about the setting style. I was imagining teeny claw prongs, crown style, maybe? And probably ‘antique’ gold, low-shine finish like Satin. Hmmmm.

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
I like your side stone to center ratio. I prefer it to the smaller side stones to center in the inspiration photo which to me look too small.

The only question -- are you willing to no longer have your lovely earrings?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with Rfisher, I don't think there is a right or wrong. What appeals to you is what is right. I like smaller stones so it looks like they are side stones. If I went larger, then in my mind it is a 3 stone. Does that make sense? I think what ever makes you happy is what is right :) Good luck deciding!!!!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
are you willing to no longer have your lovely earrings?

This is a good point. I did get a pair of Foiled rose-cut dormeuse earrings but I’m not sure whether to keep them.
I haven’t worn the studs in a long time. But I do like the settings. Hmmmm.

I actually would prefer even smaller side stones so that they look more like accent stones, like in your inspiration pic! Perhaps you could look into what a pair of smaller stones would cost you and see if you’re willing to spend that. And that way you get to keep your studs :)

BMI

Shiny_Rock

A quick search at Stuller turned up these two semi mounts with the same dimensions as your stones. There must be plenty of people who like these proportions since the second one says it is a best seller.

Your diamonds are so pretty in their current settings, but I think they would also make a lovely vintage style three stone ring.

MonkeysInk

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I just had a ring made with DK in very similar sizes - they're cushions, not round, but my center stone is 6x6.5 and the sidestones are 4x4.5. It's on his IG if you want to have a look.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm all over the place with my personal preference for side stones. I like both of your inspo photos, but I prefer the smaller side stones between those two examples.

I have a 3 stone ring with similar proportions to your three stones and I love it.

I found this graphic earlier when I was looking at pictures:

3 stone ring side stone size.JPG

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the proportions! @stc715 has the three-stone setting of my dreams:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I like the proportions! @stc715 has the three-stone setting of my dreams:

This ring really inspires me! I love the 3-D crowns. It just looks so timeless and romantic!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like it!!!

stc715

Rough_Rock

@PreRaphaelite

Oh man, this is hilarious, feel this in my bones. I go back and forth on wanting larger side stones all.the.time.

And I fully support recycling earring stones! Daily ring wear > earrings for me for sure. I never wore my diamond studs.

Can't wait to see how this turns out! It will be gorgeous no matter what.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
It's going to be spectacular.
I love an elegant ratio, and your stones fit the bill nicely.
I'm excited for you:bigsmile: and can't wait to see the pictures!

blingthing

Shiny_Rock
I think the proportions of your stones look amazing...it will be gorgeous!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would totally move forward with that idea, they will make a great three stone.

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
This is a better match of the proportions:

Thanks everyone, for the feedback. I appreciate the opinions! I will keep you posting and share here if I decide to go ahead.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results