Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Tire-kicker question: are my side stones too small?

Side stones?

• Too small; put them back in the ground and hope they grow.

Votes: 14 21.9%
  • Big enough; go ahead and use them.

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • No more Bling-Somnia! Go back to sleep.

Votes: 5 7.8%

• Total voters

LilAlex

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came on this thread to say no, but in this specific case I think the answer is yes. If they were a different shape/cut, then the answer would be no. But as an echo of the center-stone shape, I think they are too small.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like your stones & the proportions. You've already purchased these stones meaning, that there was something about them that you liked enough to buy them. Something about them that made you smile. If you put these 3 stones that make you smile into a ring, you are going to be grinning from ear to ear. That's what will happen when you repurpose the stones you already own & take them to their next journey. =)2

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Thanks!
Now on to choosing the setting. Looking at styles now - I think of these stones as Victorian not Edwardian, so probably going with prongs not bezels. I’m scrolling through sites looking for estate settings.

There are so many beautiful three-stones on PS!

itskcc

Rough_Rock
LOVE a pretty 3-stone. I recently converted and there is no looking back for me. Just love them! I had a hard time too trying to figure out the size of the side stones. I bought an inexpensive set of cz stud earrings in all different sizes from Amazon so that I could play around with the proportions on my hand. I found that the specifics of the setting contribute to the overall look and feel especially the size and proportions of the prongs which can change how the shape looks, etc. Your stones are beautiful. Have some fun with this!

Ceilimom

Shiny_Rock
I'm all over the place with my personal preference for side stones. I like both of your inspo photos, but I prefer the smaller side stones between those two examples.

I have a 3 stone ring with similar proportions to your three stones and I love it.

I found this graphic earlier when I was looking at pictures:

3 stone ring side stone size.JPG
What a great graphic

dk168

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too believe the side stones in the inspiration pic are too small for the centre stone, and the 3 stones of your own would make a better combination.

Personal preference and all that.

DK :))

Ceilimom

Shiny_Rock
I just had a ring made with DK in very similar sizes - they're cushions, not round, but my center stone is 6x6.5 and the sidestones are 4x4.5. It's on his IG if you want to have a look.
It's a beautiful ring. It's the physical position of the side stones that add to a balanced symmetry. I vote larger and a similar spacing as this ring.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@PreRaphaelite Just in case you missed it...scroll down to post #355 LINK

It's at the opposite end of the beautiful proportion scale, but it does look pretty darned good. =)2

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Horses for Courses: Polo Match Jewelry
    Horses for Courses: Polo Match Jewelry
    An Excellent K Color Graded Diamond
    An Excellent K Color Graded Diamond
    Astounding AVR
    Astounding AVR

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.