shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s Etoile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2004 2:28:45 PM sumi wrote:

I have the Tiffany Etoile band in yellow gold that I wear as a right hand ring. I really like it. I went straight to T & Co. to get it, so I don't know about any imitators out there. The band is less than $1500 in YG and I think around $1600 in platinum. I believe the diamond total carat weight is somewhere around .3 or something. I really love the ring in YG because the color contrast makes the little diamonds pop out more, whereas they in platinum the diamonds blend in too much with the metal. Well, I guess they're both nice, it just depends on what look you're going for.

Sorry, I don't really know what kind of imitations are out there. I'm sure there's someone here at PS who would know! ----------------

Sumi, I hear you about the yellow gold style in the etoile setting (just to clarify, Sumi, are you talking about the etoile band, and not the etoile solitaire?). I was really drawn to the yellow gold etoile band because of the contrast between the diamonds and the yellow gold, but I ended up having to get platinum just because of the matching issue with my engagement ring. But it is my goal in life to own two etoile bands--the platinum one I have now and another yellow gold one to go with my other yellow gold jewellery. Then I can have platinum day or yellow gold day whenever the spirit moves me.

I love yellow gold as much as I love platinum, and to this day I hate having had to choose only one metal!

As for chiming in to this thread, it's sometimes because people have strong feelings about Tiffany's not being good value for money. I think it depends on what you want, though, and you also have to think REALLY hard about what your girlfriend would want.

That said, I think that the etoile setting is stunning with smaller carat weight stones (half carat or so).

Daniela

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
Sumi, I hear you about the yellow gold style in the etoile setting (just to clarify, Sumi, are you talking about the etoile band, and not the etoile solitaire?). I was really drawn to the yellow gold etoile band because of the contrast between the diamonds and the yellow gold, but I ended up having to get platinum just because of the matching issue with my engagement ring. But it is my goal in life to own two etoile bands--the platinum one I have now and another yellow gold one to go with my other yellow gold jewellery. Then I can have platinum day or yellow gold day whenever the spirit moves me.

I love yellow gold as much as I love platinum, and to this day I hate having had to choose only one metal!

As for chiming in to this thread, it's sometimes because people have strong feelings about Tiffany's not being good value for money. I think it depends on what you want, though, and you also have to think REALLY hard about what your girlfriend would want.

That said, I think that the etoile setting is stunning with smaller carat weight stones (half carat or so).

Daniela
----------------[/quote]

Yep, I'm talking about the band and not the solitaire. I can't agree with you more about loving both platinum and YG. They're both so beautiful in their own right. I do have one small complaint about my YG etoile band. I wear it on my right hand ring finger. On my left hand ring finger is my wedding set in platinum. So, unfortunately if I'm not careful the platinum rings on my left hand can puts dings in the YG ring on my right hand. I've learned to be careful not to hit the rings against each other when I'm wearing my etoile band. I must admit that I've been careless a few times and my poor etoile band has a few dings to show for it. (Luckily, you can't really see it unless you're really looking at the ring up close)

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I love the Etoile style band and e-ring. I like the contrast between the white of the diamonds and the yellow gold rings myself, but it seems the trend is platinum these days. I went to Tiffany's and tried on the wedding band, and it was lovely and very well made. The diamonds were very small for my personal taste so I decided to have a similar ring made by my jeweler with 0.05 ct stones and slightly wider band. It's not finished yet, but I hope it is equally as nice, and it definitely cost significantly less.

I've seen quite a few look-alike bands in stores, and one thing I did like about the Tiffany's in particular was that each diamond is set in a small bezel of platinum. I'm a diamond color nut, and I wonder if those little dimaonds were set directly in the yellow gold band whether any color from the metal would creep into the diamonds? My jeweler, thank goodness, was understanding of my concern and is setting each small diamond in a platinum bezel before setting in the yellow gold. I also went with 14K hoping that it would scratch and dent a little less than the 18K.

Also, as far as the width of the engagement ring goes, I would think that the ring could be made in proportion to the size of the center diamond. Certainly a 0.25 ct diamond would not look right if the band is 5 mm wide. I'm sure a professional like Lesley at White Flash could help get the proportions right once the center stone is selected.

DiamondLil

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I am not sure if anyone else has mentioned this -or has any comments, but I would think a bezel or semi-bezel setting would be an ideal choice for a stone of a lower color.

Most well-cut stones will face up white and that's about all you see in the L'Etoile.

When a stone is set higher up, and you look at it from the side, you'll see the yellow.

That L'Etoile is a gorgeous ring.

I've never seen one with less than a full carat, but I bet it would look great in a .5 or .75 becuase surely they proportion the ring to fit the stone (or why do you have to specify size when you order?)

Good luck!

hannah

Rough_Rock
I just found this thread....

I love, love, love, love bezel and semi-bezel settings. I am constantly looking up this style of setting because I find it so pleasing. Here are variations of this setting that I have come across through my many hours of surfing the net (my favorite by far is Tiffany's Etiole
love.gif
)

855344.jpg

821716.jpg

157_200.jpg

290_200.jpg

ring05.jpg

ring44.jpg

1A3E.jpg

010091.jpg

collection07.jpg

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Hannah,

Thank you so much for posting all of those beautiful bezels! I've never seen such a rich variety of bezel styles all in one place. It's truly impressive.

Where are they all from?

Daniela

hannah

Rough_Rock
Hi Daniela.

Right click on a picture. Click on properties and you'll see the web address listed (URL).

1.gif

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
Hey, thanks for the tip, Hannah. I didn't know that trick!

wink14304

Rough_Rock
Just found this site the other day. Its great. This post in particular has helped out a lot. I find myself in the same boat as frustrated and ring-a-ding; my girlfriend loves the etoile from Tiffanys.
I''ve decided that Whiteflash''s half-bezel platinum ring by Le is my best bet. I''m gonna take Nicrez''s advice and go with a 1 carat, g or f, vs1 or vs2 diamond. From what I''ve learned I believe that it will look great on the ring.
My question is: Should I go with an Ideal cut or spend the extra (about $1,500) on the Hearts and Arrows? Will it make that much of a difference? Will she, and her friends, notice them? Will it dazzle just a little more?
I guess I would like to know if its worth the premium.

Thanks for all your help and any replies.
2.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/18/2004 12:41:30 AM
Author: wink14304
Should I go with an Ideal cut or spend the extra (about $1,500) on the Hearts and Arrows ?
pretty much depends on what the ideal diamond looks like. The definition of "ideal" is a tad loose - so many diamonds indeed show the arrows pattern as well and can be even more brilliant than some H&As. Othre "Ideals" are ideal just in words...

If there is an Ideal Scope picture of the diamond, it would give pretty good indication of what is what, IMO.

Just my 0.2, of course
1.gif

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
if you want a great reproduction of this ring go to a great bench jeweler --they can do it..................you''ll get a bigger diamond too probably

wink14304

Rough_Rock
One more question.

With the Etoile platinum setting, could one see the color in a G stone? If not, at what point on the grading scale would it become noticable?

Thanks again for your help.

clueless in Niagara

jennalyns

Shiny_Rock
"A smith would have to destroy the bezel to remove the stone."

Pqcollectibles, I have a half- bezel setting and i just purchased a new diamond, same size, to replace the one i have because its inclusions are really obvious. (the stone''s not here yet, should be here monday! can''t wait!!!!) i was told that it should be ok to change the stone, why do you say that they would have to destroy the setting to remove the stone???? can they not be changed??? i love my setting, i don''t want it to get messed up.
7.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results