shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany''s Etoile

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
When I started looking for an engagement ring, I went straight to Tiffany''s (web site) and fell in love with the Etoile. Thinking that it was best not to be rash, I spent the next few months scouring the internet for other possibilities, other half-bezel settings, other diamonds, etc., and now I find myself coming to the conclusion that no one makes the ring so well as Tiffany''s does. Maybe it''s just the slight details of the copyrighted design, but every other half-bezel pales in comparison.

The ring, so far as I understand it, gets pretty bulky at 1 carat, so most buyers wind up setting a .5 carat or less in the ring. Of course, with the money you save doing that, you might be able to afford the glorious Etoile wedding band to match.

Have any of you bought this set? or do you know someone who has? I would love to hear from anyone about the combined price of the Etoile solitaire + band, what size diamond you decided to go with, etc.

I always enjoy reading this forum - and benefit greatly from the knowledge!

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
I have this ring:

http://www.whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Heavy-Platinum-Halfbezel-by-LE_714.htm

The Half Bezel Heavy Shank by LE with a 1.25 carat diamond.

Vatche makes a scattered diamond wedding band very similar to the Tiff Etoile band.

http://www.whiteflash.com/Wedding_Bands/Comfort-fit-scattered-diamond-band_700.htm#

1.gif

MyWFLERing.JPG

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
Wow! Goregeous! And what a rock!

I should have mentioned in my first email that I welcome contrary opinions! After all, I haven't made the plunge yet...

And seeing a picture of a ring ACTUALLY on a finger is so nice. They're strangely hard to find, and nothing else gives a good idea of what the ring is really like.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
pqcollectibles~
I LOVE your ring! It's so beautiful, and, IMO, looks just as amazing as the T&C etoile.

frustrated

Rough_Rock
I have been looking at the same two rings! The Tiff etoile versus the LE. I only wish I could find a photo of the Tiff ring to compare alongside the one posted here. Did anyone make rings in that style before Tiffany's? Or did they come up with it?

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
I believe Tiffany & co. invented and copyrighted the design, but I do not know when. You see very few of them.

Looks like most of the folks on this forum don't want to chime in on the Etoile. But why not?

Maybe another question will open things up. Why doesn't Tiff use AGS or any other reports. I understand they do their own. Is their guarantee as good (or better) than another? What's the deal? And they claim to certify every diamond engagement ring. Even if it's .3 carats?

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
Hey pqcollectibles -- do you have another picture a little zoomed out? I'd love to see the ring in perspective with the whole hand.

frustrated

Rough_Rock
here's this, anyhow, ring a ding: the contender!!

engagement_etoile_solitaire2.jpg

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/15/2004 12:24:49 PM Ring-a-Ding wrote:

Looks like most of the folks on this forum don't want to chime in on the Etoile. But why not?

----------------

Speaking only for myself, I'm not chiming in because I don't have anything constructive to add. I don't personally think Tiffany's version of the Etoile is any better than the WF ring PQ posted above, and I therefore don't think it's worth the mark-up. But, I'm not a "HAVE to have the NAME" person, so maybe that's why I feel that way. That's just my opinion.

I don't know what your priorities are, so it's hard to offer anything else meaningful.

frustrated

Rough_Rock
Is size preferable to quality? Even on WF, speaking for myself, I just can't afford a top-quality 1 carat diamond. But what about .5 carat? or .75? Exactly how different will it look? Will it look silly? If I have in mind to set a .5 or under diamond of highest quality in a half-bezel, am I kidding myself? And will SHE be disappointed?????

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
Thanks pqcollectibles!! Wow -- your photo set link makes a convincing case. I guess it will have to come down to going to Tiffany and taking a long hard look at their ring compared to Le's. I wish I could hold both in my hands!

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2004 1:45:16 PM frustrated wrote:

Is size preferable to quality? Even on WF, speaking for myself, I just can't afford a top-quality 1 carat diamond. But what about .5 carat? or .75? Exactly how different will it look? Will it look silly? If I have in mind to set a .5 or under diamond of highest quality in a half-bezel, am I kidding myself? And will SHE be disappointed?????----------------

That's something you'll have to ask yourself about her. I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed (though it's not exactly my style of setting), but there are some women who would be.

Perhaps your best bet is to go for a really good cut, and comprimise some in colour and clarity (down to a nice eyeclean SI). I think .5 or .75 would be a nice size in that sort of a setting, since it wouldn't be too heavy. (Also, what size are your intended's hands?)

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock

frustrated

Rough_Rock
That's something you'll have to ask yourself about her. I certainly wouldn't be dissapointed (though it's not exactly my style of setting), but there are some women who would be.

Perhaps your best bet is to go for a really good cut, and comprimise some in colour and clarity (down to a nice eyeclean SI). I think .5 or .75 would be a nice size in that sort of a setting, since it wouldn't be too heavy. (Also, what size are your intended's hands?)----------------[/quote]

I think she's certainly a beauty-over-pure-carat-size type, as am I; I want the stone and the ring to be in harmony. For what it's worth, here's what it comes down to price-wise:
-Tiffany claims that .5 carat etoiles START at $5k.
-WF can give me a .7, IF, H, cut above ideal in the Le half-bezel for right around the same price.

Of course, it may not be her type of setting either! In which case, I hope to be able to exchange the ring for something she likes. I just can't resist surprising her.

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
PQ, your ring is saaaaweeet! Love it
Nan

Ring-a-Ding

Rough_Rock
I am amazed at how it always seems to come down to the same dilemma -- and at how similar our predicaments are, frust; we should hang out!

The name or the ring? Is it worth .2 carats or $2k for the blue box and knowing you have a true original? I dunno...

How similar can the two rings be without copyright laws being violated?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2004 1:59:34 PM frustrated wrote:

Of course, it may not be her type of setting either! In which case, I hope to be able to exchange the ring for something she likes. I just can't resist surprising her.

----------------

Well, you can always reset the stone, but you'll probably lose the money on the setting if you reset. Have you gotten any ideas from her? You could try asking her friends...

My SO can't surprise me to save his life, he was just bursting at the seams when he started shopping. I wouldn't have him any other way, but I understand your impulse to surprise.
1.gif

... this ring is particuarly good at reflecting everyone's cameras back. I'm always interested in what people are using to take their pictures, so it's a little added bonus.

frustrated

Rough_Rock
...reset, eh?

But don't most sites/stores have pretty good exchange policies? I mean, what if she were to say no?

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
It depends very much on the store, so you want to check. The reputable dealers have a 30 day return on the diamond... Custom settings are often a different animal, so you should give it a looksee. Settings in general are harder to return for money. (Of course, we're going with a Tacori setting, looks like, so returning it seems to be pretty out of the question :razz:)

Lincoln

Rough_Rock
I believe that once the stone is set, the vendor will take it back, less a substantial restocking fee. The freebie on returns comes if you don't set the diamond prior to viewing it. And these instances are usually only valid for 10 days or so, so you don't have much time to waste. My suggestion would be to nail down the setting and don't assume you can swap it out at no cost.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/15/2004 1:45:16 PM frustrated wrote:

If I have in mind to set a .5 or under diamond of highest quality in a half-bezel, am I kidding myself? And will SHE be disappointed?????
----------------

That really depends on your girl. At this size range, I'd rather have the larger stone instead of the D/VVS. But I'm not her....some women prefer smaller stones with higher quality. You really need to find out what she wants.

I will say, though, that anecdotal stories here would bear out that most men choose higher color/clarity than their GFs would want, so if that's any indication, I'd drop a bit and go bigger.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Tiffany Etoile band in yellow gold that I wear as a right hand ring. I really like it. I went straight to T & Co. to get it, so I don't know about any imitators out there. The band is less than $1500 in YG and I think around $1600 in platinum. I believe the diamond total carat weight is somewhere around .3 or something. I really love the ring in YG because the color contrast makes the little diamonds pop out more, whereas they in platinum the diamonds blend in too much with the metal. Well, I guess they're both nice, it just depends on what look you're going for.

Sorry, I don't really know what kind of imitations are out there. I'm sure there's someone here at PS who would know!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
So according to the website the Etoile is priced from $1520. Has anyone seen how small the diamond would be? I absolutely love this setting and am wondering if a .25-.3 carat will look silly in the WF version.
I was given my mil's first engagement ring so I have no idea of size, colour, cut -nothing.
Don't even know if it's possible as WF starts at a half carat.
Thoughts anyone?

Lincoln

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased that setting from WF, and it really is pretty wide. I have a .94ct stone, and it borders on being swallowed by the band. I wouldn't go much smaller in stone with that style, unless you can get WF to verify that a smaller stone will be set in a narrower ring in the same style. I'm happy with the LE ring, but there's actually another setting I wish I'd gotten, which is an etched bezel from WF (don't know the model off the top of my head.) It has an antique look to it and it's slightly narrower, which would complement the diamond better.

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2004 2:09:05 PM chialea wrote:

----------------

----------------

Well, you can always reset the stone, but you'll probably lose the money on the setting if you reset. ----------------

That is very true. Lesley, at White Flash, told me she wanted me to be absolutely sure about both the ring and the diamond. Once the stone is set, you are pretty much stuck, unless you are prepared to scrap the ring. A smith would have to destroy the bezel to remove the stone. Also, you have be very certain about the size. Bezel settings cannot be adjusted as easily as most other styles of rings. If you resize, going down especially, the bezel can pull, or flex, exerting more pressure on the girdle of the diamond.

Definitely get input from your lady. The ring is beautiful. I love it because it is simple, classic, elegant. Clean lines. Sets low and doesn't snag on anything. But if this setting does not suit your lady's tastes, it could be a rather expensive mistake.

Just somethings to consider before moving forward with this purchase.
1.gif

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
If you don't want to ruin the surprise, maybe you should propose with the stone in a simple and inexpensive solitare setting, and let her participate in picking out the final setting that she will wear everyday. I think you could get a simple whitegold setting for +/- $100.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock

----------------
On 6/15/2004 3:24:51 PM lop wrote:

If you don't want to ruin the surprise, maybe you should propose with the stone in a simple and inexpensive solitare setting, and let her participate in picking out the final setting that she will wear everyday. I think you could get a simple whitegold setting for +/- $100.
----------------
An excellent suggestion! Heartily second that.

sumi

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 6/15/2004 3:34:02 PM aljdewey wrote:

----------------
On 6/15/2004 3:24:51 PM lop wrote:

----------------
An excellent suggestion! Heartily second that.
----------------

I agree too!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock

----------------

I think she's certainly a beauty-over-pure-carat-size type, as am I; I want the stone and the ring to be in harmony. For what it's worth, here's what it comes down to price-wise:
-Tiffany claims that .5 carat etoiles START at $5k.
-WF can give me a .7, IF, H, cut above ideal in the Le half-bezel for right around the same price.

http://gotsheep.homeip.net/~hirsch/Photos/LonaGraham/LonaGrahamWed0008.html

Just curious if you are looking for a .7, H, IF stone...and why? My uncle spent a ridiculous amount on a poorly cut IF princess stone from Blue Nile, and I think he was totally suckered by the idea of "FLAWLESS"....NO ONE CAN SEE THE INCLUSIONS IN A VS2, and clarity is considered the most expensive characterisitc to go up in...

Me personally, I would get a G or H in a VS2, perhaps an eyeclean SI1, and get a WELL CUT round stone, and see if that can afford you a lsightly bigger size, or if not, a better cut! Honestly, putting a IF diamond in there is just like building a house with platinum in the wallpaper. You can brag to people about it, your costs go through the roof, and perhaps if you sold it, someone may also want such a thing, but NO ONE will ever be the wiser if you don't mention it!

just a thought, that a clarity like that should at least be accompanied by a D color, if you want purity for purity's sake. Otherwise, get a stone that is a better value for your budget...

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results