shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany, Van Cleef - Size or Brand

Euromano

Rough_Rock
Well, that was interesting! And thank you again for your contribution. Evidently it is hard to get a consensus about diamonds.

I considered your opinion then went back to the best friend, the one who confirmed my girlfriend had fallen head over heels for the Novo a while back and it sealed the deal. I will go for the Novo. To quote her, it is "the ring of her dreams". She also indicated that her love of the VC&A brand is particularly for the Alahambra design. And that size does, indeed, somehow, kind of .... matter. So, undeniably, the Novo is the safer bet. As far as the appeal of Tiffany goes, I believe there is still a mystic to it for European and Eastern European girls, the American appeal, the NY flagship store, you know the rest... It is what she wants, I keep the surprise effect and that's what matters to her and me.

Thank you again. For those that care, it will happen during the first leg of our vacation in Spain this summer. Before we fly to Milan then drive around Lake Como in our rented convertible car. I can't wait!

Euroman

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That sounds wonderful, good luck.

darkadam

Rough_Rock
Sounds wonderful ! good luck and don't forget to let us know how it goes ! :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euromano|1371802921|3469852 said:
Well, that was interesting! And thank you again for your contribution. Evidently it is hard to get a consensus about diamonds.

I considered your opinion then went back to the best friend, the one who confirmed my girlfriend had fallen head over heels for the Novo a while back and it sealed the deal. I will go for the Novo. To quote her, it is "the ring of her dreams". She also indicated that her love of the VC&A brand is particularly for the Alahambra design. And that size does, indeed, somehow, kind of .... matter. So, undeniably, the Novo is the safer bet. As far as the appeal of Tiffany goes, I believe there is still a mystic to it for European and Eastern European girls, the American appeal, the NY flagship store, you know the rest... It is what she wants, I keep the surprise effect and that's what matters to her and me.

Thank you again. For those that care, it will happen during the first leg of our vacation in Spain this summer. Before we fly to Milan then drive around Lake Como in our rented convertible car. I can't wait!

Euroman

Awesome!

Sounds like one pretty romantic engsgement! :wavey:

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely size matters - and I'd say especially so with stones under a carat. If you can afford to get a carat (or more), then that's the way to go.
It sounds like you've made the right choice. I found some of the responses rather interesting. I don't know a single person who has a Tiffany E ring, but to be honest the only time I've ever talked ring brands is when my newly engaged friend said that her ring was a Tacori (I've heard of it, but not really familiar with it). It's not like I live in the sticks either - we are middle/upper class and some of the e-rings are quite impressive actually (both in size and quality), but I've never heard of people talk ring brands. We talk brands of handbags, shoes, etc. but never e-rings. I suppose it matters to some, and that's perfectly fine, but when it comes to e-rings, I'd much rather have a bigger diamond/lesser brand (of the same quality) for the money.
Good luck on your engagement - it sounds lovely and I'm sure that the ring will be gorgeous! :)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the proposal! Love the idea of doing it at the beginning of the trip ::)

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Think you made the right choice! It's got the right blend of brand and size and she loves it to boot. Come back and post pics after the proposal!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock

Euroman

Your holiday sounds lovely. I think she will adore the ring. Best of luck with your proposal plans!

Have you been to the Italian Lakes before? If not, you won't be disappointed. Growing up, we went to Lake Maggiore for a month each summer (I'm English so it wasn't far) and the area is utterly beautiful. I'm envious - you're going to have the trip of a lifetime, for sure!

Above, you say this: "And that size does, indeed, somehow, kind of .... matter." You sound slightly perturbed that size should matter at all and that she'd prefer the bigger ring. It's a pity to go on vacation having a feeling like that niggling in the back of your mind. I don't think your girlfriend is being unreasonable at all about size. I wear a 0.70 and even in a bezel, it's small for a lifetime ring which acknowledges the woman's contributions made in marriage, such as bearing and raising the kids and, probably, carrying more of the family admin and domestic load - and perhaps eventually giving up on her career because demanding hours and a family are just too much. I know it isn't like this for everyone, but ultimately even today this is still how it pans out for many (as it did for my high-flying sister when her second baby turned out to be twins).

But I digress - if your girlfriend was all about size, she would be going for low cut, low colour, low clarity, no-name brand, all in order to get the biggest stone for the budget, but she isn't doing that at all. To want 1 carat over 0.70 when the budget is as generous as yours really isn't being size-ist or materialistic at all. This is the one engagement ring of her lifetime, there will never be another, and given the significance of the ring, a 1 carat isn't a huge demand in my opinion. At least, not when money isn't an issue.

In your hesitancy in the quote above, you do sound disturbed that size mattered, and I just think it would be a real pity to have that feeling going into your engagement. Those feelings have a tendency to fester and then burst into life at the most inopportune moments, so I'm just trying to explain it from a woman's point of view.

Best of luck with everything! We'd love to see pics of the ring and maybe a shot or two of Como as well!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Smith said:
am[/i] very, very brand-loyal once I've found brands (of any type of goods) that resonate with me for whatever reason, so from that perspective I certainly understand the drive.

Tiffany of 2013 is not the Tiffany of 1913. Tiffany 2013 *is* accessible by the masses - a Return to Tiffany bracelet and other assorted silver baubles and a LV monogrammed purse may as well have been written in my highschool student handbook as part of the daily uniform. And when it's such a common, *available* name... it does lose its mystique. To me. In learning more about its history some of that charm has returned, and with it is an undeniable nostalgia for the splendor and opulence of decades past. Is that a bad thing? I suppose it depends on who you ask![/quote
Smith said:
Hi Yssie, you're welcome re. the information. I've got some really interesting books about Tiffany. Sadly there are no pics of the silver bicycle though!

Sorry for the bold type - the quote function isn't working properly.

You say that the Tiffany of 1913 isn't the Tiffany of today, and obviously the world has changed a great deal, but there are many similarities between the Tiffany of yesteryear and today's Tiffany. For example, the Tiffany Victoria collection has been made since the nineteenth century. And I recently received the Blue Book from Tiffany, in which the least expensive thing was about 50k. There were pieces up to $7 million, including a tiara of many carats with about eight cushion fancy intense yellow diamonds. Tiffany is still acting like that royal jeweller of yesteryear, making tiaras - with fancy coloured diamonds to boot!

I hear you about the mainstream aspect - Tiffany did make a decision to appeal to a greater market segment than VC, Cartier, etc. And they have a far greater number of working-class customers as a result. I can see how that might colour the brand for some people. But the silver lines and the gold/gemstone/platinum lines are really almost like two separate businesses these days. The "proles" are not buying Tiffany platinum and gold pieces, only the silver. And as I said, Tiffany has a great silver heritage anyway. I'm fascinated by the brand's illustrious history and actually I think it's nice that "girls of slender means" to quote Murial Spark can also have a piece of this heritage.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Euromano - I've had an idea. When you propose to your girlfriend with the Tiffany Novo, you could also give her this beautiful book about Tiffany, and then she can read about the Tiffany history while she enjoys her ring. I own this book and it's gorgeous, so many lovely pictures, laid out in an arty, chic modern design.

www.amazon.com/Tiffany-Style-170-Years-Design/dp/081097293X/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1371827946&sr=1-2&keywords=tiffany+books

Here are some more pics of my own copy. You could inscribe it with a message and the date of your proposal, and wrap it in turquoise paper with a white ribbon. It's written by Tiffany's design director, John Loring, so I bet Tiffany would wrap it for you! I think the book wrapped like a Tiffany gift together with the actual blue box sitting on top would make a lovely tableau!

gedc2227.jpg

gedc2228.jpg

gedc2229.jpg

Euromano

Rough_Rock
This is turning into an interesing exchange and I am glad I posted here.

I am not disturbed by realizing that size does matter. I knew it and I gave it a second thought when I looked and compared the two rings again. Pretty easy to do here as both stores are almost side by side at Place Vendôme! On these setting one can see the difference between the 0.7 and the 1 (well, 0.96 to be more precise. Though I am waiting to see if there anything slightly above 1 but I don't think there will be any difference at this point). I believe it is all a matter of balance. I knew my girlfriend didn't mind getting the brand knowing she wouldn't get a bigger stone - that's what Tiffany, VC and the likes mean to her. She doesn't care no one can tell its a Tiffany and she doesn't need to impress anyone with the size - she just wants to know she is wearing a Tiffany ring. And I think getting to 1 carat you are at a point where and cannot immediately think "small" when you see the stone. Anyway. And as far as I am concerned balance matters also in the budget. And no one is kidding anyone here - she is not with me for my money. You don't want to be cheap and at the same time it must feel like a significant purchase (one you don't do every year). So I think there is everything in this selection: I know she likes the setting, she believes in the brand, the stone is big enough to see it is not too "in your face", it will be a surprise, it will make a bearable dent in my bank account and, above all, it brings me the greatest pleasure to offer, we are both commiting to something we truly believe in, the plans we will be making from there on.

Euroman

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
More pics.

gedc2230.jpg

gedc2231.jpg

gedc2232.jpg

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Smith1942, I think in that quote OP was specifically talking about the VC&A Alhambra ring. And yeah, if you look at the diamond on it, size really does matter!!! :naughty:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tiffany made the lombardi trophy, that's the one I want.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
peacechick|1371830091|3470004 said:
Smith1942, I think in that quote OP was specifically talking about the VC&A Alhambra ring. And yeah, if you look at the diamond on it, size really does matter!!! :naughty:

But this thread has been about the VC Romance ring, which they both liked, but then he found out that the "Alhambra design" is what she likes in the VC product range, and in fact on Purseforum there are women who discuss the necklaces and bracelets in that range so Alhambra is clearly a "thing". I think he meant this - that she likes the Alhambra range, not that she wants an Alhambra ring. The OP also seems confused that size matters in earlier posts when we were discussing the 0.70 versus the 1 carat, and I just didn't want any inner feelings of consternation to mar his engagement, that's all. But he says he's fine with the 1 carat decision, so all is well. :D

Euromano

Rough_Rock
HAHA! Niel, I am actually a 49ers fan so I guess I can say I already got a few of them! Though nothing beats the Stanley Cup...

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Here you are, Niel! Made by Tiffany every year since 1966.

gedc2233.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euromano|1371831518|3470023 said:
HAHA! Niel, I am actually a 49ers fan so I guess I can say I already got a few of them! Though nothing beats the Stanley Cup...

I'm a lions fan so........yeah :lol: so once playoffs start I'm a 49er fan

But also the red wings so helps a little. ;-)

AAt least we have Megatron

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
This is what I call a trophy! Silver cup made by Tiffany in 1906. It's the Indianapolis Race cup, retired in the 1930s. I don't know where it is now.

gedc2235.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1371827408|3469965 said:
Smith said:
am[/i] very, very brand-loyal once I've found brands (of any type of goods) that resonate with me for whatever reason, so from that perspective I certainly understand the drive.

Tiffany of 2013 is not the Tiffany of 1913. Tiffany 2013 *is* accessible by the masses - a Return to Tiffany bracelet and other assorted silver baubles and a LV monogrammed purse may as well have been written in my highschool student handbook as part of the daily uniform. And when it's such a common, *available* name... it does lose its mystique. To me. In learning more about its history some of that charm has returned, and with it is an undeniable nostalgia for the splendor and opulence of decades past. Is that a bad thing? I suppose it depends on who you ask![/quote
Smith said:
Hi Yssie, you're welcome re. the information. I've got some really interesting books about Tiffany. Sadly there are no pics of the silver bicycle though!

Sorry for the bold type - the quote function isn't working properly.

You say that the Tiffany of 1913 isn't the Tiffany of today, and obviously the world has changed a great deal, but there are many similarities between the Tiffany of yesteryear and today's Tiffany. For example, the Tiffany Victoria collection has been made since the nineteenth century. And I recently received the Blue Book from Tiffany, in which the least expensive thing was about 50k. There were pieces up to $7 million, including a tiara of many carats with about eight cushion fancy intense yellow diamonds. Tiffany is still acting like that royal jeweller of yesteryear, making tiaras - with fancy coloured diamonds to boot!

I hear you about the mainstream aspect - Tiffany did make a decision to appeal to a greater market segment than VC, Cartier, etc. And they have a far greater number of working-class customers as a result. I can see how that might colour the brand for some people. But the silver lines and the gold/gemstone/platinum lines are really almost like two separate businesses these days. The "proles" are not buying Tiffany platinum and gold pieces, only the silver. And as I said, Tiffany has a great silver heritage anyway. I'm fascinated by the brand's illustrious history and actually I think it's nice that "girls of slender means" to quote Murial Spark can also have a piece of this heritage.

Smith, thank you again for your informative post! I shall have to look up the Victoria collection. The legacies of the various jewellery houses and establishments isn't something I've ever paid much attention to but your fascination and enchantment comes through vividly in your posts in this thread, and I can see that I'm missing out!

I LOVE the thought of getting her that book to accompany the Tiffany Ering. What a fantastic introduction to such a history! I recently won the DeBeers Jewellery book at the PS GTG in Vegas - I haven't been home to look at it yet, but perhaps that'll by my introduction ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Euromano|1371831518|3470023 said:

We did really well in the draft - otherwise we'd be in big trouble this year! Alex Smith + Andy Reid in Kansas = ...

Euromano

Rough_Rock
smith1942 - Good idea about the book, I will get it, though it might be heavy to bring in the suitace. So it might wait a few days.

Thank you all. I made the right decision. Now I gotta think of what to say!!

And seeing these pictures on this thread ([URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-got-a-tiffany-novo.156523/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-got-a-tiffany-novo.156523/[/URL]) of a .76 on a woman's hand, assures me that a .95 will look good and big enough to both our liking.

Euroman

lovebug1031

Shiny_Rock
Smith1942|1371831995|3470029 said:
Here you are, Niel! Made by Tiffany every year since 1966.

Tiffany also makes the Heisman trophy as well as the 2012 Stanley Cup rings!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you are *certain* the VCA brand is what she wants, get the VCA. If a similar but not VCA branded ring would be as well received, I'd get a ring crafted by someone like Steven Kirsch and let us help you find a great stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Euroman

Just reposting this for those who didn't see the conclusion!

I love VCA Alahambra, as well, but much prefer the Novo e-ring, so it sounds like this is working out perfectly! The .96 is going to be a great value at just under a carat, so I hope you have it reserved!

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
winternight|1371769258|3469629 said:
Dear Smith thank you for your post. I don't post too much here because I have quite a bit of Tiffany jewelry and this isn't the forum for that. PS but how do you feel about those solid gold nails bracelets/rings?

To the OP I would get your fiance's input. None of my friends would possibly be able to pick something for me.

Hi Winternight, you're welcome re. the Tiffany history. You should post your Tiffany in SMTB. People absolutely do post their Tiffany here so I think you should too! I'd love to see it.

I think the nails collection is from Cartier, "Juste un Clou"?

http://www.cartier.us/collections/jewelry/collections/juste-un-clou

It's not bad; in a way I quite like it. It could look very edgy and cool, on the right person. But it's very expensive for what it is, so I'm not sure I would buy it. The ring looks as if it could be a little uncomfortable. If I found the white gold ring pre-loved somewhere and it was a fabulous discount, I might consider it. It's different and doesn't look typically Cartier. It's an "in the know" piece.

But I don't lie awake at night coveting the Clou collection. It doesn't speak to my natural style identity - I think it might be better on someone with an "underground art" kind of persona.

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
I just peeked at the page with Juste un Clou rings... lol... I think one is paying as much for the web copy as they are for the gold, with this one.

Edited to remove butchered quotes.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I'm hoping to try the ring and bracelet from the Juste un Clou collection in person at some point. I had to laugh at the underground art reference - because the slightly punk but in a very luxe way is what draws me to the collection.

OP, congratulations on deciding. I'm sure she'll be thrilled!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Winternight, i also own a lot of tiffany but i never post it because much of it is not the stuff with diamonds. SMTB is a nice place, they would never turn down any bling Tiffany or otherwise :naughty:

Euroman, so happy that you went with the novo! It was the original e ring that i wanted till i realized that with my job - gloves would probally cause too much harm to the setting. I tried on a .76 my first time trying them on and i felt that with all the sparkle from the band it was plenty big enough for me (i wear a size 6) - and we were also going to get as close to 1ct as possible. So i agree with you that it should be plenty big enough! We have since gone a different direction. Your SO is going to be thrilled when you present her with that little blue box! :naughty: Please come back with pictures!

Smith1942, I am going to have to buy this book, thank you for sharing! :)

ETA: typos

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1371832698|3470038 said:
Smith, thank you again for your informative post! I shall have to look up the Victoria collection. The legacies of the various jewellery houses and establishments isn't something I've ever paid much attention to but your fascination and enchantment comes through vividly in your posts in this thread, and I can see that I'm missing out!

I LOVE the thought of getting her that book to accompany the Tiffany Ering. What a fantastic introduction to such a history! I recently won the DeBeers Jewellery book at the PS GTG in Vegas - I haven't been home to look at it yet, but perhaps that'll by my introduction ::)

Yssie, I can't believe you haven't looked at your DeBeers book yet! Sacrilege!! And yes, I am fascinated by the legacies of these famous jewellery houses. They were created during times that were so vastly different to the world today, yet they march on into the future. There is nothing as romantic and beautiful as these institutions which have created so many breathtaking pieces of jewellery.

As Audrey Hepburn wrote in her preface to the book Tiffany's 150 Years:

"For 150 years your name has stood for beauty, style, quality and constancy. You have brightened our faces with your jewellery, illuminated our homes with your lamps, brought a glow to our tables with your silver, given distinction to our lives....After 150 years you don't have a wrinkle - but then, class doesn't age!"

How very true!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results