shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany, Van Cleef - Size or Brand

Euromano

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I have two months to go before I propose and narrowed down my search to two rings: The Tiffany Novo and the VC&A Romance - both very similar. For my budget of around 15,000 I can get either a 0.7 carat (E color) Romance or a close to 1 carat (though G or H color) Novo. I could not get a 1 carat Romance for less than 25,000.

Here is my question: Knowing that the Fiancée-to-be "adores" the VC&A brand, would the difference in size of the diamond between the Novo and the Romance justify choosing the Novo over the smaller Romance? In other words - the eternal question - does size matter?

I have seen both rings and though they both look great, I must admit that I have a slight preference for the Romance.

Your input and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

Euromano

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Size does matter. A lot of us think that what looks large on our fingers for the first few weeks quickly seems smaller after months and years. You sound like you're a brand person so I'll save my breath about getting a better cut stone for less money elsewhere. Is the E necessary? I'd go with the style that you both love, the romance, but drop the colour if at all possible to get a larger diamond.

Also, just because it's a Van Cleef or Tiffany doesn't mean that it's well cut. Cut is what makes the diamond reflect light and sparkle. Are you able to get any of the important details such as mm size, depth, table, crown and pavillion angles?

Euromano

Rough_Rock
Thanks a lot for your replay Rhea. Its not that the E is necessary but mandatory as VC&A only sells D, E or F. As for the brand, I know my girlfriend enough to know that she would prefer compromising on size and get the brand. She likes sobriety (if that makes sense..). I don't know if I could get all the details you are asking for but, from what I know, both rings looked pretty good to me and sparkled quite a lot! So I gather that size seems to matter....to you :)

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Size matters, but cut really matters. Try to get the best cut your money can get. Because a well cut stone will always look bigger.
I'm pretty sure a gal who is brand conscious will also be size conscious.
Not to be mean, I promise, but I have several friends who have smaller brand name stones and they always seem to say yes it's small but it's a Tiffany, yes it's small but it's from Cartier. One even said yeah I could have had a bigger stone but its a Tiffany!
Frankly I'm not even sure it is Tiffany, I've never seen the inside of the ring!
Like they are really not happy. Just my 2cents.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Size does matter (cut even more so!) and the difference between a .7 and a 1.0 ct will be visible to the naked eye. Not sure what to tell you, since you can't get the 1.0 ct stone in the setting you prefer unless you spend even more $$$....I too, will save my breath about the fact that once on her finger, no one will know (or care) that it's a Tiffany or VCA....

darkadam

Rough_Rock
I think to most girls, the size does matter, especially when comparing with theirs friends. Somehow if you put a 0.7ct next to a 1.4ct which costs the same, the it's a tiffany argument loses some of its power. Anyway, tiffany and vc should have their own in house certs or some other form of certs with some of the info.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I could not get a 1 carat Romance for less than 25,000.

wow that makes me sad to read ;(

Basically what i read from that is that she wants X but you want to get her Y because it will get her a bigger stone. If thats true, i strongly advise you show her what all these sizes look like on her hand. Tell her, these are what i can get you, which is more important to you? because once its on her hand quality is all that matters, that little box it comes in will just be in a drawer. And yes, size does matter, but so does sparkle. She may not feel as good about it when she if she has a friend with a larger one that look prettier because it performs better. like others said you can get a top quality diamond larger elsewhere, and buy her all the VC or Tiffany wedding bands she could want.

Im not going to ignore the fact that you could get an ideal Branded diamond around 1.2 and a high end master bench create you a similar setting for 15k....I feel like thats important to mention.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you take a look at the posts on here, and take into consideration that you even asked the question, I'd say it's not just me that size matters to! DDS is a very real thing :(

Can you involve your partner in the process? Seeing it on her finger should ensure that she gets what she wants. The idea of making something that she's supposed to wear everyday for the rest of her life a surprise is very forgein to me. Taking her to try on the VC&A .70, the T&C 1 carat, and a non-branded 1.25 should really help. Do try to get cut information. You're not limited to one diamond at each place and if you're going to pick a branded ring you want to make sure you have the best cut possible.

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
Hi! I just have to add in my 2 cents here. I think that everyone's responses to the original post are fantastic. Brand name matters to many people, and for obvious reasons. But in less your circle of friends is able to tell immediately who designed your ring, what ultimately matters is the overall appearance, not who made it. My original wedding set was hand-engraved from Tacori, and the engraving was so small and detailed (though definitely beautiful), that unless I was surrounded by people who knew Tacori, you would never know that I had this expensive set. The wedding sets with beautifully sparkling side-stones definitely trumped my set. Ha, and now that's exactly what I have and I am SO much happier.

So, at the end of the day, you need to go with what ultimately makes your fiance happy, while also doing what's best in the long run. She will be wearing her rings on her finger forever (unless she upgrades like many of us on here!) and it's easy to get caught up in name-brand. Go for that if that is ultimately what makes her (and you) happy. But at least consider other options.

Good luck! It's a lot to figure out and it's obviously for a very important reason. :) And just know that we are just trying to give you some insight because we've been there. :)

Euromano

Rough_Rock
Thank you very much to everyone of you. It is helpful and interesting. I don't think there is any need to let her choose the ring (as my spy, her best friend, told me she does like the Novo). Then I went to VC&A (knowing, again, she adores the brand) and saw that the Romance is very similar. As I said I saw both rings and there was something about the Romance but I can't put my finger on it. It seemed like there was more art to it, that it was more delicate, unique. And the stone was near flawless. Let's be honest here, whether its the 0.7 or the 1.0, the size of the ring will not impress anyone. This is not my intention and I know it is not her intention as well. I just want her to get a ring she will love. And getting the brand rather than the size does matter to her. It will certainly be smaller than other rings she will see but it will be what she wanted and she is bright enough to know this is what I could afford for her without, I believe, spending too much or too little. Because then there will be the wedding to pay for... :)

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
And there you go - figuring out what your soon-to-be fiance will LOVE is the hardest part in all of this. Sounds like you know - and that's ALL that matters. :)

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Euromano|1371734300|3469253 said:
Thank you very much to everyone of you. It is helpful and interesting. I don't think there is any need to let her choose the ring (as my spy, her best friend, told me she does like the Novo). Then I went to VC&A (knowing, again, she adores the brand) and saw that the Romance is very similar. As I said I saw both rings and there was something about the Romance but I can't put my finger on it. It seemed like there was more art to it, that it was more delicate, unique. And the stone was near flawless. Let's be honest here, whether its the 0.7 or the 1.0, the size of the ring will not impress anyone. This is not my intention and I know it is not her intention as well. I just want her to get a ring she will love. And getting the brand rather than the size does matter to her. It will certainly be smaller than other rings she will see but it will be what she wanted and she is bright enough to know this is what I could afford for her without, I believe, spending too much or too little. Because then there will be the wedding to pay for... :)

If you're concerned about size, is the Romance available in a lower color/clarity combo? You might be able to get a larger stone if you're willing to go down in color and clarity. I don't think there is much difference between an E and a F (and I personally think you're safe to go down to the G or even H) and as long as it's eye-clean, many ppl don't care about the actual clarity grade.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like she wants the Romance so that is what I would get.

nicoleanne

Shiny_Rock
Maybe I'm bad at reading pictures of jewelry, but the Novo and Romance don't look similar to me. I haven't seen them in person, obv. Of the two, I like the Novo better. It looks like the emphasis is on the center stone with the Novo, and it seems more feminine. The Romance seems like a diamond wedding band with a slightly larger center. :confused:

I'll also chime in about cut. Is she aware of how drastically cut affects the brilliance of a stone? If she is, and is ok with the idea of a less-sparkly diamond and still prefers to pay for the brand, then cool.

But if she doesn't really know much about diamond buying and, like many buyers, believes luxury brand=best quality, you could really impress her with your savvy diamond buying skills by finding a smoking hot diamond in a gorge setting that blows both the Tiffany and VC&A out of the water (and is bigger to boot). Just sayin'.

darkadam

Rough_Rock
Based on the information you have, the romance should be fine. If she didn't know vc carried a similar model to the nova, it'll be a nice surprise :)

Update : ooops. Based on NicoleAnne's post, what you find similar might not be what others find similar...

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nicoleanne|1371747786|3469383 said:
Maybe I'm bad at reading pictures of jewelry, but the Novo and Romance don't look similar to me. I haven't seen them in person, obv. Of the two, I like the Novo better. It looks like the emphasis is on the center stone with the Novo, and it seems more feminine. The Romance seems like a diamond wedding band with a slightly larger center. :confused:

I'll also chime in about cut. Is she aware of how drastically cut affects the brilliance of a stone? If she is, and is ok with the idea of a less-sparkly diamond and still prefers to pay for the brand, then cool.

But if she doesn't really know much about diamond buying and, like many buyers, believes luxury brand=best quality, you could really impress her with your savvy diamond buying skills by finding a smoking hot diamond in a gorge setting that blows both the Tiffany and VC&A out of the water (and is bigger to boot). Just sayin'.

The only thing I'll say is that there is absolutely nothing wrong with her choice if it is an informed one. But there are many things to consider. Does she know your budget? Does she know what that budget will get her in both a brand and non brand style ring? Many woman don't know the actual cost of a diamond ring these days.

Because if she thinks she's getting a tiffany 1.5 ct stone, she may be slightly disappointed, though shell never say.

What or does she know that not all diamonds sparkle the same? That a high color and clarity does NOT equate to a sparkly stone?

This is why we are saying to get her involved, be cause an informed decision is never a bad thing, even if after all the information you still go with your first choice.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well personally I'd go with the VC&A because the brand has more cachet to me. imo Tiffany is more like Louis Vuitton, like everyone has them now and it's so mainstream. It may not be the Walmart of jewelry, but it's probably the Dillards to VC&A's Neimans. I mean. If you're going to be brand-conscious, really be brand-conscious, you know what I'm saying? Don't get what the proles are getting, dear god.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would a billion times rather have a 1 ct Tiffany Novo over any brand .7 ct stone at the same price point. That VCA ring is obscenely overpriced and I would not consider it under any circumstances!!! :nono:

I think the Tiffany blue box is always a romantic choice for people who care about a branded e-ring. Plus the Novo is a gorgeous ring.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
distracts|1371748920|3469402 said:
Well personally I'd go with the VC&A because the brand has more cachet to me. imo Tiffany is more like Louis Vuitton, like everyone has them now and it's so mainstream. It may not be the Walmart of jewelry, but it's probably the Dillards to VC&A's Neimans. I mean. If you're going to be brand-conscious, really be brand-conscious, you know what I'm saying? Don't get what the proles are getting, dear god.

Snort.
Tiffany... Tiffany really has gone mainstream (read: devalued) their brand with all the silver... their housewares, sterling, china, etc. still have a certain cachet though, I think.

I'd go with the Novo - you're buying a specialty diamond noone else sells. The VC&A is... pretty. And utterly unremarkable aside from the monstrous pricetag - it really is the sort of ring you could get absolutely anywhere.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't get what the proles are getting, dear god.

Agreed. I am clutching my pearls in anticipation of his decision.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Euromano|1371726621|3469187 said:
Thanks a lot for your replay Rhea. Its not that the E is necessary but mandatory as VC&A only sells D, E or F. As for the brand, I know my girlfriend enough to know that she would prefer compromising on size and get the brand. She likes sobriety (if that makes sense..). I don't know if I could get all the details you are asking for but, from what I know, both rings looked pretty good to me and sparkled quite a lot! So I gather that size seems to matter....to you :)

"And getting the brand rather than the size does matter to her."

Your original question is whether the size matters, but then you say twice that your girlfriend would rather have the brand rather than the size and that she prefers the Van Cleef brand. So why are you asking? You've already answered your own question twice!

It's really a decision for you and your girlfriend. We're not the ones wearing the ring. Therefore, I can only share my personal experience, which may be totally irrelevant to you.

My e-ring is a Hearts on Fire 0.70 stone, which tends to cost significantly more than Tiffany and he drastically overpaid. It's a super-ideal cut stone, but it IS small. I'd rather have had a high Ideal and something even 20 points larger. Even in its thick bezel, it's small.

There is a noticeable difference between solitaire diamonds of 0.70 and 1 carat. I appreciate your plan not to max out on size in order to get something from a special brand, but frankly, those 30 points are the difference between people thinking privately "Well, it may be a Van Cleef but it's so small!" and being wowed by a Tiffany one-carat.

Just my two cents. If Van Cleef is very important to your girlfriend then she should get the 0.70. Personally, I also think you should ask her opinion about something she'll wear every day for life, but then I'm modern like that. :)

ETA: I've just read your original question again and you say that BOTH of you prefer the Romance ring and that the brand matters to her over size. Therefore, the decision should have been simple - the Van Cleef. However, you still logged on and asked the question, which makes me think that you also, in the back of your mind, consider the 0.70 to be too small.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1371752228|3469441 said:

Snort.
Tiffany... Tiffany really has gone mainstream (read: devalued) their brand with all the silver... their housewares, sterling, china, etc. still have a certain cachet though, I think.

I'd go with the Novo - you're buying a specialty diamond noone else sells. The VC&A is... pretty. And utterly unremarkable aside from the monstrous pricetag - it really is the sort of ring you could get absolutely anywhere.

OK, I just have to take issue with these remarks about Tiffany.

Now, I'm the first to admit that many of their pieces are insanely overpriced. They're perfectly capable of selling a mere 18 points of H/I/J melee in a necklace costing over $2k, which is nuts. You have to pick your price battles in that store, for sure.

I also don't believe that a Tiffany diamond is necessarily "better" than a super-ideal cut from a good vendor. All diamonds are formed in the same workshop - the Earth. In fact, a super-ideal diamond from a respected Signature line like BGD or WF or BN is going to be a much better cut than some Tiffany diamonds.

It's true that Tiffany did expand their business so people who are not super-rich could own something from Tiffany. It's also true that there are some ghetto pieces in that silver collection. Like any store in the world, you have to apply taste, and stores such as Cartier etc. have some truly ugly things too. Huge, bejewelled panther, anyone? Someone should ring Cartier and tell them that 1985 is long gone.

But I digress. Tiffany may have created things which cost less, but their quality did not falter and their line of gold and gemstone jewellery has many pieces that are stunning in their design and their workmanship. I think most people realise that the silver line of jewellery is a different business proposition from the gold and platinum jewellery. Even so, the silver is very well-made. I've got some really pretty silver Tiffany pieces and even the delicate ones are weighty, durable, and perfectly formed.

I own Tiffany gold and platinum pieces too, and they are heavenly. There's a lot I wouldn't buy in there, sure, but you wouldn't be expected to like every piece in a store. Different styles appeal to different customers.

About their homewares, Tiffany has always sold those. It started as a stationery and "fancy-goods" store. Tiffany sterling tea sets were considered works of art and cost many, many thousands of dollars.

Lastly, Tiffany has an unbeatable heritage. Tiffany's silversmiths made the Belmont Cup, the Vince Lombardi Super Bowl trophy, the Goelet Cup, and the Indianapolis Race Cup, and many more cups and trophies. What's remarkable about the Indianapolis Cup is its sheer size - about eight foot tall counting the tip, and very wide, too. There was also a silver bicycle commissioned once. I don't think any jeweller has created such breathtaking pieces out of sterling silver. Thanks to Tiffany, the world first took notice of an American contribution to the world of art and design when a Tiffany silver dinner service took the grand prize at the Paris Exposition of 1878. It took two hundred men two years to make, and almost 15,000 ounces of silver. And there were many more jaw-dropping works of silver, too, commissioned for all manner of state and private occasions and for the families of the great and good.

So I don't look down my nose at Tiffany silver. To wear it is to take part in a grand tradition from probably the best silversmithing heritage in the world.

Tiffany has also been known to make tea sets in 18k gold. One of them was commissioned for Mary Flagler and is now in the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum.

Tiffany has furnished the White House and Buckingham Palace with those china and silver home wares. And in terms of jewels and precious metals, former customers include Queen Victoria, Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Lyndon Johnson, and by the end of the nineteenth century no fewer than 23 royal houses were customers of Tiffany, including the Czar of Russia, the Shah of Persia, the Khedive of Egypt, the Emperor of Brazil, and the kings of Italy, Denmark, Belgium and Greece. Many Tiffany diamond, gold and gemstone pieces are considered works of art and today sit in the world's most famous museum institutions, such as the Smithsonian and the V&A.

Tiffany's higher-end pieces still demonstrate that amazing design story, and the "proles" aren't buying those kinds of Tiffany pieces.

I'm not sure why Tiffany decided to expand its market to the mainstream. Perhaps it's because Charles Tiffany came from relatively humble beginnings and his first day's takings were a mere $4.98. He then borrowed $500 and bought wholesale goods from abroad, which were promptly stolen. So Tiffany grew from nothing, and I have always found them to be a little friendlier than some other luxury brands.

Tiffany also owns the 128.51-carat canary-yellow Tiffany Diamond, one of the world's most remarkable gems and the largest, finest canary-yellow diamond in the world.

What I'm trying to say is that Tiffany's historical contribution on a global level to the world of art, design and metalwork is unrivalled. For me, the existence of customers who clearly don't have as much money as the typical Van Cleef customer does not blind me to the towering backstory of Tiffany, which is echoed in many of its pieces today. To compare Tiffany to Walmart is to be unaware of its glittering heritage, its startling achievements, and its presence in many influential spheres of the 19th and 20th centuries.

These are all reasons why I would go with the Tiffany ring instead of the Van Cleef, in addition to the size issue.

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
I normally don't chime in on these, but I gotta say. I'm a gal who lives modestly, but I have some pretty nice designer purses here and there. I live in Southern California, where Coach is considered standard and LV, Gucci, and Marc Jacobs bags run wild. Can someone tell the difference between a fake/non branded purse, YES!

Can someone tell the difference between a Tiffany, Cartier, or non-branded sparkly diamond, no. Yes the settings are unique, but there are plenty of replicas. Just saying from a designer minded gal like myself I like the idea of taking her to see the ones she wants in the sizes you can afford and a local reputable jeweler who sells well cut stones. Do you know for a fact, she's aware of the premium for the brand and has seen all of her options?

If and when she does, whatever she wants is her perogative. But for $15k, at least for me, I'd like to know all my options for something I'm wearing for the rest of my life.

For me, I originally wanted 1 ct and settled on a .77 super ideal F color diamond. Setting and band a hair under $7k, the rest of our money goes to the 30% down we can put on a $500k+ home (very modest for Southern California) and a trip of a lifetime to Europe this fall. Just saying, to each his own, just be informed :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Huge, bejewelled panther, anyone

Yes please! I've said it once I'll say it again I love animal jewelry.

I hope we haven't scared the OP off.

I think the take away from here is that size matter, what she wants matters, and truly I think the best idea is to get her informed and see all her options before deciding.

Because I'd hate for you to spend 15k on a ring and she be disappointed by the size of cut quality after the high of being engaged with a VCA wears off. Because even the most modest of us would get a little self conscious of a bunch of our friends having sparkler and larger diamonds.

Jumpin_Jacks

Rough_Rock
Jumpin_Jacks|1371763862|3469555 said:
I normally don't chime in on these, but I gotta say. I'm a gal who lives modestly, but I have some pretty nice designer purses here and there. I live in Southern California, where Coach is considered standard and LV, Gucci, and Marc Jacobs bags run wild. Can someone tell the difference between a fake/non branded purse, YES!

Can someone tell the difference between a Tiffany, Cartier, or non-branded sparkly diamond, no. Yes the settings are unique, but there are plenty of replicas. Just saying from a designer minded gal like myself I like the idea of taking her to see the ones she wants in the sizes you can afford and a local reputable jeweler who sells well cut stones. Do you know for a fact, she's aware of the premium for the brand and has seen all of her options?

If and when she does, whatever she wants is her perogative. But for $15k, at least for me, I'd like to know all my options for something I'm wearing for the rest of my life.

For me, I originally wanted 1 ct and settled on a .77 super ideal F color diamond. Setting and band a hair under $7k, the rest of our money goes to the 30% down we can put on a $500k+ home (very modest for Southern California) and a trip of a lifetime to Europe this fall. Just saying, to each his own, just be informed :)

Clarification: My setting, center .77 stone, and wedding band was $6800 total at a local jeweler. Imagine how big a rock for $15k, ooh la la....

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The thing that troubles me about this is that your budget of $15,000 isn't small. It's a generous budget, and one that many people dream of having. So even though I get the brand argument, spending $15,000 and having only a 0.7 for it seems... like strange value. And you would have to be prepared that many people would have bigger, more elaborate rings which cost less.

Another thing to be aware of is that what your girlfriend "adores" can change depending on practicality and reality. For example, a friend of mind has always wanted a 1.5 ct emerald cut diamond since she was a little girl. But recently she found out the reality of how much they cost and that her boyfriend couldn't afford a 1.5 ct. So she changed her mind and now would like a round brilliant. Although he could probably afford a small emerald cut under 1 ct, she doesn't think it looks good. I think this is why the PSers here are advising consulting your girlfriend even though we know you prefer a surprise.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1371765402|3469576 said:
Huge, bejewelled panther, anyone

Yes please! I've said it once I'll say it again I love animal jewelry.

haha when I read that I was like "... but the huge bejeweled panther is the only thing I'm head-over-heels for from Cartier!" Just like with VCA I go nuts over their crazy animal/bug brooches. I have absolutely no use for them, but the regular stuff is just blah. If I was bothering to buy a big name brand like that, I'd want something totally ridic that no one else does at that quality.

Sigh edited incoherence into this: Basically I think VCA is much more exclusive, and imo if you're brand conscious you are so because you prefer the exclusivity of the higher-end brands. So I'd go with that if picking for a brand-conscious person who you know knows of and likes VCA.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Dear Smith thank you for your post. I don't post too much here because I have quite a bit of Tiffany jewelry and this isn't the forum for that. PS but how do you feel about those solid gold nails bracelets/rings?

To the OP I would get your fiance's input. None of my friends would possibly be able to pick something for me.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1371757966|3469497 said:
Yssie|1371752228|3469441 said:

Snort.

OK, I just have to take issue with these remarks about Tiffany.

Now, I'm the first to admit that many of their pieces are insanely overpriced. They're perfectly capable of selling a mere 18 points of H/I/J melee in a necklace costing over $2k, which is nuts. You have to pick your price battles in that store, for sure.

I also don't believe that a Tiffany diamond is necessarily "better" than a super-ideal cut from a good vendor. All diamonds are formed in the same workshop - the Earth. In fact, a super-ideal diamond from a respected Signature line like BGD or WF or BN is going to be a much better cut than some Tiffany diamonds.

It's true that Tiffany did expand their business so people who are not super-rich could own something from Tiffany. It's also true that there are some ghetto pieces in that silver collection. Like any store in the world, you have to apply taste, and stores such as Cartier etc. have some truly ugly things too. Huge, bejewelled panther, anyone? Someone should ring Cartier and tell them that 1985 is long gone.

But I digress. Tiffany may have created things which cost less, but their quality did not falter and their line of gold and gemstone jewellery has many pieces that are stunning in their design and their workmanship. I think most people realise that the silver line of jewellery is a different business proposition from the gold and platinum jewellery. Even so, the silver is very well-made. I've got some really pretty silver Tiffany pieces and even the delicate ones are weighty, durable, and perfectly formed.

I own Tiffany gold and platinum pieces too, and they are heavenly. There's a lot I wouldn't buy in there, sure, but you wouldn't be expected to like every piece in a store. Different styles appeal to different customers.

About their homewares, Tiffany has always sold those. It started as a stationery and "fancy-goods" store. Tiffany sterling tea sets were considered works of art and cost many, many thousands of dollars.

Lastly, Tiffany has an unbeatable heritage. Tiffany's silversmiths made the Belmont Cup, the Vince Lombardi Super Bowl trophy, the Goelet Cup, and the Indianapolis Race Cup, and many more cups and trophies. What's remarkable about the Indianapolis Cup is its sheer size - about eight foot tall counting the tip, and very wide, too. There was also a silver bicycle commissioned once. I don't think any jeweller has created such breathtaking pieces out of sterling silver. Thanks to Tiffany, the world first took notice of an American contribution to the world of art and design when a Tiffany silver dinner service took the grand prize at the Paris Exposition of 1878. It took two hundred men two years to make, and almost 15,000 ounces of silver. And there were many more jaw-dropping works of silver, too, commissioned for all manner of state and private occasions and for the families of the great and good.

So I don't look down my nose at Tiffany silver. To wear it is to take part in a grand tradition from probably the best silversmithing heritage in the world.

Tiffany has also been known to make tea sets in 18k gold. One of them was commissioned for Mary Flagler and is now in the Henry Morrison Flagler Museum.

Tiffany has furnished the White House and Buckingham Palace with those china and silver home wares. And in terms of jewels and precious metals, former customers include Queen Victoria, Winston Churchill, Abraham Lincoln, Lyndon Johnson, and by the end of the nineteenth century no fewer than 23 royal houses were customers of Tiffany, including the Czar of Russia, the Shah of Persia, the Khedive of Egypt, the Emperor of Brazil, and the kings of Italy, Denmark, Belgium and Greece. Many Tiffany diamond, gold and gemstone pieces are considered works of art and today sit in the world's most famous museum institutions, such as the Smithsonian and the V&A.

Tiffany's higher-end pieces still demonstrate that amazing design story, and the "proles" aren't buying those kinds of Tiffany pieces.

I'm not sure why Tiffany decided to expand its market to the mainstream. Perhaps it's because Charles Tiffany came from relatively humble beginnings and his first day's takings were a mere $4.98. He then borrowed $500 and bought wholesale goods from abroad, which were promptly stolen. So Tiffany grew from nothing, and I have always found them to be a little friendlier than some other luxury brands.

Tiffany also owns the 128.51-carat canary-yellow Tiffany Diamond, one of the world's most remarkable gems and the largest, finest canary-yellow diamond in the world.

What I'm trying to say is that Tiffany's historical contribution on a global level to the world of art, design and metalwork is unrivalled. For me, the existence of customers who clearly don't have as much money as the typical Van Cleef customer does not blind me to the towering backstory of Tiffany, which is echoed in many of its pieces today. To compare Tiffany to Walmart is to be unaware of its glittering heritage, its startling achievements, and its presence in many influential spheres of the 19th and 20th centuries.

These are all reasons why I would go with the Tiffany ring instead of the Van Cleef, in addition to the size issue.

Smith, thank you for posting this history. I knew Tiffany had a rich, luxurious heritage - it's very interesting to read about some of the specifics.

I suppose one's opinion really depends on the metrics one uses to rank various brands. Part of my definition of 'ultra' high end is a certain exclusivity of clientele - the crass translation would be "unaffordable by the masses". I don't personally much value that sort of exclusivity but I am very, very brand-loyal once I've found brands (of any type of goods) that resonate with me for whatever reason, so from that perspective I certainly understand the drive.

Tiffany of 2013 is not the Tiffany of 1913. Tiffany 2013 *is* accessible by the masses - a Return to Tiffany bracelet and other assorted silver baubles and a LV monogrammed purse may as well have been written in my highschool student handbook as part of the daily uniform. And when it's such a common, *available* name... it does lose its mystique. To me. In learning more about its history some of that charm has returned, and with it is an undeniable nostalgia for the splendor and opulence of decades past. Is that a bad thing? I suppose it depends on who you ask!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results