shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Pricing.... Is it REALLY worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdogstu99

Rough_Rock
So, i''m in the market for a ring, and Pricescope has been a great help so far. My initial plan had been to buy a diamond online and send it off to Mark Morrell for a setting. My total budget is somewhere in the 9000-1000 range. I have been able to find some fairly nice stones (round brilliant) around 1.34-1.35 Ct F Color, SI2, for approx 7000-7500 and with an approx price on a setting of $2000, I would have a total spend of roughly $9500.

Now, I now for a fact that my GF would LOVE a Tiffanys ring, in fact she tried a few on there about 7-8 months back and gave me the serial #''s. So, i had initally figured that Tiffany''s would be out of my range, considering the pricing on some of the rings she had viewed. But, now fast forward to today, and the prices have come down quite a bit. I was quoted a price of around 10K for a 1.25, I VS2, and about $12K for a 1.25, H, VS2 in the Tiffany setting.

So, i need some help deciding. And does anyone know if Tiffany''s will negotiate? Any input would be so helpful..Thanks again!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In days gone by, Tiffany''s never negotiated. In today''s economy, I don''t know - but you could certainly try.

In terms of value, I''m sure you could find a larger stone for less money than Tiff''s - even at their ''discounted'' prices of today. However, if she really wants it - and there is something magical to a lot of girls about that blue box - then go for it. Only you know how important that fact may be to her.

You''ve got a nice budget to work with though - good luck!

Do you have any specs (crown and pavillion angles) on any of the Tiffany diamonds you''ve looked at?

kittybean

Ideal_Rock
Tiffany's will not negotiate. I don't believe they have changed their policy.

Is it worth it? That is really up to you. It is hard to place an objective value on your satisfaction or your girlfriend's satisfaction with her engagement ring. Is the premium for the Tiffany brand worth it, in my very humble opinion? No, but this does not mean it wouldn't be worth it to you or to someone else. You need to put your own marginal value on the Tiffany name/product.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a Tiffany ring (Lucida) so to me it was worth it. I adore it and it's a patent cut so I couldn't have gotten it elsewhere. If you can afford it and it's what your gf wants then I would consider it. Or signedpieces have this second hand one that looks promising http://www.signedpieces.com/item.cfm?item_id=9881

ETA-they don't seem to negotiate at all.

3cd4her

Rough_Rock
IMO, I think you can get an amazing diamond and ring from one of the vendors here that is made to look near identical to a Tiffany ring. It might even be better and you''ll pay a whole heck of a lot less(30-40%). WF seems to be one of the better custom vendors and I think their Classic Style Tiffany Knife Edge is the closest there is. Just do a search on PS.

On another note if you have to have Tiffany, in these times I think it''s more than worth trying to break a deal. They''re lowering prices in Japan, and all high end retail is hurting for sales big time. I stopped in a local Tiffany just to look and on my way out I felt the begging and pleaing for me to come back and consider.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
IMHO.... No. You can find bigger and better stones right here with many of the online vendors, for WAY less!

Here are just a few...
stone1
stone2
stone3

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
signed pieces sold a 1.55 H VS on ebay for $11,000 a couple of weeks ago They also sold a 1.42 I VS1 for $8900. If your girlfriend really does love Tiffanys I would get her the real deal from signedpieces. I would never pay the full mark-up at Tiffany''s personally b/c I don''t think it''s worth it for that price but I would not hesitate to purchase one secondhand at a more reasonable price. The quality of the original Tiffany is just hard to replicate and although some are close, they still aren''t the real deal! You can of course get a gorgeous stone from a PS vendor and a MM setting and that is nothing to sneeze at. You might check on pricing again from Tiffany''s b/c with the economy the way it is I do know they have dropped their prices some.

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
No doubt about it, you WILL pay more for a ring from Tiffany. And, if it is important to your GF to have something in the little blue box, and, hopefully, be treated with white kid gloves when inside the store (this happens sometimes, but, not always, it seems), then, it may well be worth the extra dollars to make her happy. If she has it in her head that the blue box is what she wants, then, anything else may be disappointing (justly so or not).

It sounds like your GF has done her homework and knows what she likes. You''ve mentioned F-color, SI2 for your Morrell plan, and now I- and H-color VS2s for the Tiffany plan. There is a disparity in color and clarity there... do you know your GF''s preferences? What specifically was it about the rings that she chose that she liked? Would she be willing to go with less high-color, for example, to help with the Tiffany price tag? Which do you think is most important to her – the specific qualities of a diamond, the Tiffany name, or both?

Also, you may be able to take advantage of financing at T''s, I''m not sure what one needs in order to qualify. As far as negotiating goes, I guess it can''t hurt to ask.

I own several Tiffany pieces, and I''d say that they are all quality. Also, I have jewelry and gems from online vendors, one in particular, that are every bit as good, perhaps even better, in terms of quality (craftsmanship) than some of the Tiffany pieces. So, do remember, Tiffany is just like any other jewelry store, whether it be brick and mortar or online (although, like all the brick and mortar stores, it is an advantage, I think, to be able to walk into a store and see all kinds of stock in person). They carry diamonds that will blow you away with their quality and beauty, and diamonds that you''ll probably see and think, "ho-hum." Each ring is crafted by an individual, and it takes the work of MANY individuals to fill-up a store with such huge inventory. Every single ring is different, some crafted better than others. Some diamonds perform better than others, regardless of their "paper." Look closely. My point is, don''t trust that because you are at *TIFFANY* you have an automatic free-pass for a knock-your-socks-off diamond ring.

You can do just as well, even better perhaps, shopping online as you can at Tiffany. But, I don''t think this is what necessarily matters. I think the big issue is, in the end, what will MOST please you and your GF BOTH?

Good luck with your shopping adventure. I hope your experience is a delight. I''m sure you''ll get lots of advice...
35.gif

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
I went to Tiffany and this is what the salesman told me.

In prior times, Tiffany did not negotiate. However, because business has been bad they will negotiate rings that cost 25k or more. The particular ring that he showed me was about 23k and he said there still a good chance that they will negotiate.

If you are interested in a ring from Tiffany''s the only way to find out if they will negotiate is to go there and ask.... so why not go ahead and give it a shot? then you make an informed decision (i wouldn''t but it right then and there though).

My personal opinion is that Tiffany is not worth it. However, that is something personal. Do I think the jacket I bought for $500 was worth it? I do, because I bought it... Someone else might think I''m crazy.

cdogstu99

Rough_Rock
Well, here''s the specs i got. Haven''t seen any of these in person yet. I ran all thru the HCA scale and the I seems to have the best score. I really appreciate all of your responses. I''m thinking that maybe i''ll go take a look at them and see what i think.

1.25 carat, color I, clarity VS2, $10,400.00.
The stone''s measurements are 6.88 x 6.93 x 4.27mm.
Table Depth Percentage - 61.8%
Table Size Percentage - 57%
Crown Height Percentage - 14.9%
Crown Angle - 34.2''
Pavilion Depth Percentage - 43.2%
Pavilion Angle - 40.9''

1.25 carat, color H, clarity VS2, $12,100.00.
The stone''s measurements are 6.89 x 6.94 x 4.23mm.
Total Depth Percentage - 61.2%
Table Size Percentage - 60%
Crown Height Percentage - 13.9%
Crown Angle - 35.1''
Pavilion Angle - 41''

1.26 carat, color G, clarity VS2, $14,200.00.
The stone''s measurements are 6.93 x 6.96 x 4.27mm.
Total Depth Percentage - 61.5''
Table Size Percentage - 58%
Crown Height Percentage - 15.1%
Crown Angle - 35.3''
Pavilion Angle - 41''

ejv207

Rough_Rock
I think you need to have a sit down with the FF and try to bring these issues up subtly.

Seeker, was the $500 jacket on sale?
31.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, with prices down, it seems like a perfect time to buy from Tiffany. Since she has looked there and would be thrilled to have a Tiffany e-ring, then I''d get it there! I''d never pay a 50% markup or anything like that, but truly, the prices on the ones you posted aren''t bad, especially the I VS2 (if you think I color will be acceptable to her).

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 7:34:12 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Well, with prices down, it seems like a perfect time to buy from Tiffany. Since she has looked there and would be thrilled to have a Tiffany e-ring, then I''d get it there! I''d never pay a 50% markup or anything like that, but truly, the prices on the ones you posted aren''t bad, especially the I VS2 (if you think I color will be acceptable to her).
HI:

I was thinking the same thing......

cheers--Sharon

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i personally dont think a Tiffany''s is worth it. But an engagement ring is an emotional thing as well as a value purchase. If her heart is set on it being from Tiff''s
maybe broach the subject of a larger stone somewhere else or a smaller Tiffanys. The signed pieces ring is a great value. But if thats truly what she has her
heart set on, go with the Tiffanys.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Yep! Let''s remember it''s HER we want to be happy. That''s the goal.

xoxo

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 12:58:48 AM
Author: Imdanny

Yep! Let''s remember it''s HER we want to be happy. That''s the goal.

I agree, update us once you see them in person.

njseeker

Shiny_Rock
LOL EJV! haha. good one. I thought that was a lot for a jacket!
face4.gif

cdogstu99

Rough_Rock
Ok, so i'm going to the store tommorrow afternoon to take a look at some of the rings. I will definitely keep everyone updated as to my findings. Any words of wisdom for trying to negotiate with Tiffany's??? I know i've heard that they typically don't do it, but i'd have to think in this economy that i might get them to budge somewhat.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
The prices seem to have dropped already but it''s definitely worth a try. My bargaining for everything for the wedding has so far gone with me saying that I only want to pay X amount, however I really like their item and could they do it for that price. Some have said ok, others have told me to take a jump! Best of luck and dying to see what you pick!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Can''t hurt to ask for a discount! Times are tough! The argument about Tiffany being worth it or not rages on forever because at the end of the day only you can decide if it''s worth it. They have lovely designs, lovely diamonds, lovely service. It''s a brand. It means more to some than to others.

Aside from that, some of their diamonds are patented cuts, like the Legacy and the Lucida. If you love these...you gotta go Tiffany! Would agree with others on their Signed Pieces recommendations!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/11/2009 5:39:10 PM
Author: mrssalvo
signed pieces sold a 1.55 H VS on ebay for $11,000 a couple of weeks ago They also sold a 1.42 I VS1 for $8900. If your girlfriend really does love Tiffanys I would get her the real deal from signedpieces. I would never pay the full mark-up at Tiffany''s personally b/c I don''t think it''s worth it for that price but I would not hesitate to purchase one secondhand at a more reasonable price. The quality of the original Tiffany is just hard to replicate and although some are close, they still aren''t the real deal! You can of course get a gorgeous stone from a PS vendor and a MM setting and that is nothing to sneeze at. You might check on pricing again from Tiffany''s b/c with the economy the way it is I do know they have dropped their prices some.
I respectfully disagree. Tiffany has issues with workmanship, shoddy millgraining and other mass-production issues. Besides a diamond is a diamond. Just because it''s a Tiffany diamond doesn''t make it some special form of carbon different than other diamonds. I would rather get a Leon Mege ring that''s handcrafted with care than a Tiffany mass produced, boring design.

SYC

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2009 6:01:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

I respectfully disagree. Tiffany has issues with workmanship, shoddy millgraining and other mass-production issues. Besides a diamond is a diamond. Just because it''s a Tiffany diamond doesn''t make it some special form of carbon different than other diamonds. I would rather get a Leon Mege ring that''s handcrafted with care than a Tiffany mass produced, boring design.
Agree with everyone else that it is what makes you guys happy! Re Tiffany''s workmanship, it VARIES. I believe there are some pieces that are not special at all and not particularly well done setting-wise. But there are some exquisitely done pieces too of course.

Overall, I think you can certainly expect a minimum (pretty high) level of quality from Tiffany''s. Some may prefer a customized design, but only you know what style really speaks to you. In any event, it''s always important to very carefully inspect the ring you''re thinking about buying... pay close attention to the shank, the prong work, any details like milgrain, etc.

carebearz

Rough_Rock

If your gf wants a Tiffany, then buy her a Tiffany.

There''s nothing more than I want than a Tiffany ring.
My friends asked me if he had bought me a $10k ring that was heavier and had better specifications, would I still agree to his proposal. Yes, I would still say yes to his proposal but would also be secretly disappointed that it''s not a Tiffany ring.
I rather he buy me a $10K Tiffany ring that was smaller and had lousier specifications.
Shallow, checked.
Sucker for marketing, checked.
Brand sl*t, checked.
But I still want a Tiffany.

It''s about buying what your girlfriend wants and not what you think she should have (unless you managed to convince her otherwise).

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
If they have exactly what you want (a specific style of eternity band, a patented cut) and nothing else makes your heart sing the way that that piece does, or if it simply must be "a Tiffany," then yes, it's worth it.

If there's something else that you like equally, then no, generally speaking it's not worth it.

calh22a

Rough_Rock
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how well cut are Tiffany diamonds? Are they AGS0 or GIA excellent? Are Tiffany diamonds hearts and arrows? Just wondering because I would rather go with a PS vendor and get a better cut diamond with H&A and save a few thousand dollars!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 7:14:55 PM
Author: calh22a
Sorry to hijack the thread, but how well cut are Tiffany diamonds? Are they AGS0 or GIA excellent? Are Tiffany diamonds hearts and arrows? Just wondering because I would rather go with a PS vendor and get a better cut diamond with H&A and save a few thousand dollars!
Tiffany carries well cut diamonds, but they do not specialize in hearts and arrows stones. Sometimes they are Tiffany graded and sometimes you can find one that has a GIA cert. As with all stones, you need to see the measurements and choose one that meets the specs you desire. Some will fall in that AGS0 box and some will not. But I''ll tell you this, I certainly have looked in the case at Tiffany''s, and I couldn''t spot a bad stone, that''s for sure!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2009 6:01:15 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

TL, how many Tiffany platinum pieces have you owned? I only have one Tiffany eternity ring, but it has perfectly flawless milgrain, the best I''ve ever seen. In fact, in my shopping at Tiffany, I have not seen a piece of defective jewelry yet. ALL handmade jewelry can have some imperfections, and my Leon ring is no exception to that. But it is handmade, so I accept it. The Tiffany solitaire is a classic, elegant, and enduring design, so I would disagree with you that it is mass produced and boring. I wasn''t willing to pay the price for a Tiffany solitaire in the size I eventually got, but at that time, the prices were a lot higher.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i have a tiffany pave etoile ER and the pave work is flawless, beautiful in fact. The ring is over five years old and i purchased it second hand and it''s still in amazing condition. I have been very satisfied with their quality.

If it''s what she wants, if she would rather have a slightly smaller ring and have it be from tiffs, go for it!

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
I didn''t care a bit where my ring came from, but my FI went to Tiffany. It''s smaller for the money than what he could have gotten elsewhere, but I have to admit that the service has been absolutely top-notch. And I like that I can get it checked up on and cleaned wherever I happen to be, as long as there''s a T&Co (I''ve done this at stores in a few different cities). So, while I wouldn''t have asked him to buy the ring there, I really have enjoyed the benefits -- but I don''t know whether it''s really "worth" the cost difference. Only you and your GF really know that!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results