shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Lucida eBay purchase. Did I cover my bases?

SparkleGem

Rough_Rock
Greetings. Would appreciate any free advice ;-) I want to know if I've covered all my bases as it relates to verifying authenticity of a Tiffany ring. I recently purchased a Tiffany Lucida (the thicker band) for my upcoming proposal (in 5 weeks or so). Got it on eBay from a Jeweller in Michigan. The ring came with the GIA doc, Tiffany outer and inner boxes, and the Tiffany bag.

The GIA specs:
1.66 ct
F color
VS2
VG for both symmetry and polish

Paid $14,600 USD total. The ring was sold as a size 5.75.

Somewhat uncomfortable with purchasing on eBay, so I did the following:
1) Paid with AMEX Plat card
2) Took the ring to a local appraiser (Gem Appraisal Lab in NYC diamond district)

The appraiser said the ring was perfect and matched the GIA inclusions. He was also able to see the Ludia TM and serial number on the diamond and match it to the GIA report. Using a Rap report he got the value at $25,700 (I think this might be low after comparing in T&Co). He said in his opinion this looks 100% legit. He also had another employee who I was told used to work for T&Co take a look and he concurred. Appraisal cost was $130.
3) Did the paid polishing at Tiffany's on 5th Ave. NYC
Went to the store and asked to get the paid polishing. Was told it takes 4 hours and cost $50 USD. The service consultant looked at the ring under the loupe to get the numbers on the ring. He also measured the ring size and said "size 6 doesn't look like it has been sized before". He typed the numbers into the computer and gave me a receipt to pick it up later that day. I asked about getting a Retail price update done but he said it could only be requested by the original purchaser, same about telling me the original purchase date. On the receipt where printed specs:

Tiffany receipt:
1.66 ct
G color
VS1

Better clarity but worst color grade. Also a larger size than expected (this is actually a good thing for me). When I picked up the polished ring (looked fantastic), I gave them the other box and they repacked it (added the Tiffany bow and gave me a new bag).

Anything else I need to do to make sure this is a sure thing? I plan to sit on the ring for the next 5 weeks before the big day. Also, should I get another appraisal? I'm pretty sure I could not get a new ring with the $25,700 from Tiffany's. The closest they had in store was a 1.50 F VVS2 for $39,500 plus NYC tax. :(

The only thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is that the LUCIDA text on the band is slightly misaligned. Can this be restamped at the resizing? I plan to take it to the same Tiffany's for resizing after I propose. Worst nightmare would be to get there for resizing and there is some authenticity problem. Lol

Thanks for any suggestions!

SG

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm pretty sure the Lucida is a proprietary cut so if the guy at Tiffany didn't blink an eye I would thing you're good!

Marquise_Madness

Shiny_Rock
I think you have the bases covered. I would call Tiffany and ask if they could re-stamp it. Why aren't you re-sizing it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SparkleGem

Rough_Rock
Marquise_Madness|1473647284|4075371 said:
I think you have the bases covered. I would call Tiffany and ask if they could re-stamp it. Why aren't you re-sizing it now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the response. I'm not sure of my GF's ring size. It's going to be a surprise.

SG

SparkleGem

Rough_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1473644148|4075357 said:
I'm pretty sure the Lucida is a proprietary cut so if the guy at Tiffany didn't blink an eye I would thing you're good!

Thanks for the response. I do believe it is a patented cut. With a patented cut like this one, does that actually make it harder to replicate?
SG

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
SparkleGem|1473643282|4075352 said:
Greetings. Would appreciate any free advice ;-) I want to know if I've covered all my bases as it relates to verifying authenticity of a Tiffany ring. I recently purchased a Tiffany Lucida (the thicker band) for my upcoming proposal (in 5 weeks or so). Got it on eBay from a Jeweller in Michigan. The ring came with the GIA doc, Tiffany outer and inner boxes, and the Tiffany bag.

The GIA specs:
1.66 ct
F color
VS2
VG for both symmetry and polish

Paid $14,600 USD total. The ring was sold as a size 5.75.

Somewhat uncomfortable with purchasing on eBay, so I did the following:
1) Paid with AMEX Plat card
2) Took the ring to a local appraiser (Gem Appraisal Lab in NYC diamond district)

The appraiser said the ring was perfect and matched the GIA inclusions. He was also able to see the Ludia TM and serial number on the diamond and match it to the GIA report. Using a Rap report he got the value at $25,700 (I think this might be low after comparing in T&Co). He said in his opinion this looks 100% legit. He also had another employee who I was told used to work for T&Co take a look and he concurred. Appraisal cost was $130.
3) Did the paid polishing at Tiffany's on 5th Ave. NYC
Went to the store and asked to get the paid polishing. Was told it takes 4 hours and cost $50 USD. The service consultant looked at the ring under the loupe to get the numbers on the ring. He also measured the ring size and said "size 6 doesn't look like it has been sized before". He typed the numbers into the computer and gave me a receipt to pick it up later that day. I asked about getting a Retail price update done but he said it could only be requested by the original purchaser, same about telling me the original purchase date. On the receipt where printed specs:

Tiffany receipt:
1.66 ct
G color
VS1

Better clarity but worst color grade. Also a larger size than expected (this is actually a good thing for me). When I picked up the polished ring (looked fantastic), I gave them the other box and they repacked it (added the Tiffany bow and gave me a new bag).

Anything else I need to do to make sure this is a sure thing? I plan to sit on the ring for the next 5 weeks before the big day. Also, should I get another appraisal? I'm pretty sure I could not get a new ring with the $25,700 from Tiffany's. The closest they had in store was a 1.50 F VVS2 for $39,500 plus NYC tax. :(

The only thing that makes me a little uncomfortable is that the LUCIDA text on the band is slightly misaligned. Can this be restamped at the resizing? I plan to take it to the same Tiffany's for resizing after I propose. Worst nightmare would be to get there for resizing and there is some authenticity problem. Lol

Thanks for any suggestions!

SG

I recently went to Tiffany's flagship store in NYC to restamp my anniversary band after getting sizing beads removed (also purchased on ebay and independently vetted/appraised by a PS recommended appraiser), but it came back with a different stamp. It still says Tiffany & Co. and PT 950, but they are on different parts of the band, the font is slightly different, and the engraving is not as deep as before. Just FYI.

SparkleGem

Rough_Rock
Approximately how much did they charge for the restamping? Thanks

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
SparkleGem|1473724832|4075691 said:
Approximately how much did they charge for the restamping? Thanks

I think it was $50.

SparkleGem

Rough_Rock
Nice. I think I'll get it done when we do the resizing. Hopefully then can do it on the same day. Thanks!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you did very well assuming a Lucida is what she wanted! I really wish you could get her ring size, because it is very possible they won't size it in the same day you bring it in (unless they told you they would?). The difference in the ring size can probably be explained by the wider shank.

boxbits

Shiny_Rock
SparkleGem|1473729920|4075725 said:
Nice. I think I'll get it done when we do the resizing. Hopefully then can do it on the same day. Thanks!

It took them 2 weeks to remove the sizing beads and restamp for me. But I wasn't in a hurry and did not ask about rush options.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results