shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Inspired Legacy with graduated side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for your info! I have one more question...what are the sizes of your pave diamonds? I am speaking with stone oak and a jeweler in my area to have this made and am wondering how big those diamonds should be. Also, what are teh sizes of your graduated diamonds and the total diamond weight in the setting? I appreciate your help and am so excited that you are willing to help me get a ring as pretty as yours is!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW, your new ring is GORGEOUS and it looks wonderful with your band!
36.gif
36.gif
I''m very sorry about the loss of your family diamond, though.

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
I am not sure about the total carat weight etc for the pave and side stones. My appraisal tells me that two of the side stones ar .9 CT (I think totaled???) but there are 8 actually. Otherwise, I can tell you that they are all small... Very small (especially the pave and halo). And to be honest, that is what makes the scale and proportion work, and a lot fo what I was so unhappy with on the first ring I had made. (To see what it looks like with bigger side and pave stones, see my first ring on this thread). My first ring no one really commented on (except my mom, who said it looked fake it was so big... and she didn''t mean that as a compliment at all!). This ring everyone just stops and go "ooooh... wow" and then they are pretty much speachless. Oh yeah, then they would say, "You know, it looks like an antique! Beautiful!" (Much different reaction). I just took a business trip and I would be talking to people and they would just stop mid sentence, mid meeting and say, "Let em see that!", not once, but it happened four times in three days! Anyway, Dan told me there were something like 200 tiny diamonds in this set. I am sure he could tell you the actual number and size.

After you compare, let me know how they measure up in pricing (always curious) as well as how you decide to go. I am so glad I was able to share and help someone going through the same process!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Dan, When I click the video link, it shows the surname Garner and nothing else.

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
You are right. I am using Firefox on an iMac. I will try it with Safari and if that doesn't work, I will switch over on parallels and launch IE. I did get to look at the pics of the work you have created. Incredible work you have done. LOVE it. I am giving thoughts to changing my solitaire, but I am not ready to take the plunge yet. :)

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Well, I have decided to go with my jeweler in New Orleans. I talked to Dan and REALLY liked him and wanted him to make my setting, but I had a credit at my jeweler already and couldn''t forgo the credit. So, I have just said go ahead and make my setting... The wax should be ready in about 2 weeks and I will let you know how it goes. I CANT WAIT!!!! I hope it comes out half as pretty as yours is! It was really hard trusting someone to make me a custom ring...I am so anxious! But, I have to have faith and I know it will come out like I want it to. Thanks againf or all of your help and I will keep you posted as well as post pictures once I have it!
26.gif

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
Kbarro1,
Good luck and be sure to post pics along the way! It would be fun to see how things come along...

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was out of town when you posted the new ring, and it is just gorgeous! (And a definite improvement over the first.) Wow! It turned out beautifully and looks perfect on your hand. I''m glad you are happy with your new stunner of a ring!

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Dear Kbarrio,

The best of luck on getting your jeweler to make this ring. Enclosed I made a better Render for you to use to compare it to the one we made for Garndnerranch and I hope the jeweler offers some type of refund if you are not pleased with how it comes out. As we specialize in making these difficult Platinum rings, I don''t think the average jeweler can do it however I keep my fingers crossed for you. If you would, post the pre-pictures that he sends you on this design as before we make the ring we show the completed design (enclosed) picture, the movie posted on my website, and the resin for you to try on.

Thanks for the opporunity to talk to you about your ring and Good Luck!

Dan Dement
Stone Oak Jewelers

Gardner.jpg

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Dan,

Thanks for the extra renderings. I have to admit that I feel a little *stab* as you mention that you "hope the jeweler offers some type of refund" and that "you don''t think the average jeweler can do it". I was really trying to resist replying to your post b/c maybe I just interpreted it in the wrong way, but I feel as if you are saying that your place is the only place that is capable of making a piece like this. I did a lot of research and worked very closely with my jeweler and scrutinized every detail before I even gave him the drawing to make a wax and am confident that I will come out with a nice piece of jewelry. I do agree that your work is spectacular and that your fancy presentation before you make a wax is nice, but is not required to have this piece made. My particular circumstance did not allow me to use you since I had a trade in that I could get the most bang for my buck with at my own personal jeweler, and with that, I was confident enough and trusted him enough to make me a piece like this. I am not expecting an exact replica, just a piece that is of good quality and with the right proportions. Sorry, to feel a little put off by your statements, but I don''t feel as if it was put there to wish me good luck, but rather to twist a knife a little more in order to say I would be sorry I didn''t choose you. I appreciate all of your help on the phone that day I spoke with you, but I had only begun to look at this ring and in the end this is what worked best for me.
40.gif

Karla

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Karla,

Understand I have been in the jewelery business for 40 years and have some of the finest Jewelers in my employee. I think you are going to find that you can not make this type of ring by having a jeweler try to hand carve a wax and have it come out to scale. What I predict will happen is the same thing that happened to Ms. GarnerRanch in her ring, is that the ring is going to very bulky and thick. I am not trying to critical but today the jewelry industry is being split into two camps. One is the high tech. computer savee jeweler that is helped by todays technology. Vertually all the fine quality complicated rings today are designed in some form of CAD programs today and the models are grown in expensive Rapid protoyping machines beyond the reach of today''s average jeweler. And the truth is it''s not just being able to buy the program but everything else that goes along with it. The second camp is the "old way" which replies on skill of the jewelers. For me, we have both as we can hand make fine Platinum jewelry but have $300,000 of the best equipment in the industry. In order to do the type ring you have chosen, no way can an average or even better jeweler make the hundreds of prongs and have the symmetry this ring requires. I know, because we tried several times before I invested the money in both equipment and the people to take our skill level to the higher level which I believe we have achieved.

MsGarnerRanch was forunate because the jeweler who orginally made her ring did refund 70% of her money. I don''t believe most jewelers would do that! The point I hope to make is What is going to happen if the ring is not up to your expectations? I am a regular Brick & Mortar jewelry store and I have built my business by selling one ring at a time and making my customers happy. We are a small family owned and run business and specialize in manufacture of Platinum and Palladium jewelry. We have the system we have to keep from having the "I don''t like it" problem. It''s very possible I am wrong and you will have the most beautiful ring in the world but from what you have said, you have a jeweler holding you hostige because you have a credit with him.

I sorry, I don''t do business like that.

I wish you the best.

Dan

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Karla, im sure your ring will turn out perfectly! i must admit im thinking the same way you do that "stoneoakdan" was taking a stab at you, your not the only one who wont be wanting his business ever! judging from his website his jewelry does seem very nice, however there are lots and lots of b&m stores that do great custom work, so dont be stressed and keep us updated!

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Dan,

While I hate to turn gardnerranch''s post into this, I can''t help but reply yet again. I appreciate that you are concerned, but I think you have the wrong impression of this situation. I am not being "held hostage" with this jeweler. I merely had a diamond to trade in and they have offered me a fine trade in deal. I could choose to take my diamond anywhere I would like, but you specifically told me that you did not like working with other people''s diamonds, which turned me away since I have a trade in AND already have my diamond that will be set into this ring. Second, my ring is not going to be hand carved. It is going to be done on a CAD system. Now, it might not be a 300,000 dollar system, but that doesn''t mean I can''t have a nice ring. If I don''t like it, they are willing to work with me and get it right, or I can go elsewhere.

Karla

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Mike for your support! It was like a burst in my bubble to have someone say those things!

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
So beautiful! Takes my breath away
24.gif

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
I was just out to dinner and saw a woman with a ring that had much of this same concept with the VERY small pave diamonds. I am in LOVE!!!! I can''t wait until my ring is done!!!! I look at yours everyday gardnerranch. I feel like I need to send you a thank you note for having such a gorgeous ring and for sharing so much info about it!!! Not everyone would be so willing to have someone else use their ring as a template. Thanks again and I can''t wait to share mine with you! I am trying to talk my BF into letting me take a picture of it before he puts it up to save it until the big question!
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif
4.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a question for Dan. Can that center stone be set lower? I like a prong-set halo, but I would want the girdle of the stone to be down at the level of the halo. The video and pictures are excellent. It is amazing what can be done with technology.

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
How exciting KBarro1! I can''t wait to see it... post pics!!! I am geniunely glad I could help you out with your ring detail and communicating that to your jeweler and BF. No worries about "sharing" ring design... after all, it was borrowed to begin with! (but I wouldn''t mind anyways). Thanks for the note though, very thoughtful of you.

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Dear Diamondseeker,

Yes, the diamond can be set as low as want and can be bezel set if that's what you desire. The first thing we do in the design stage is Sarin the diamond. This gives us an exact 3D dimensions of the stone so when we make the mounting the diamond exactly fits. This is also how we do the the fancy side stones so they exactly fit the center which is much different than trying to put together three heads and calling it a three stone ring. The major problem you need to careful of in setting a stone low is the "grease magnet" effect of handcreams. Diamonds are grease magnets and if you bezel set the stone, you will build up many layers of handcream under the stone which is difficult to remove. We use a very strong industial cleaner called Oakite not aviable to the public which we use clean jewelry which we buy in 55 gallon drums. I left a customer's ring in our ultrasonic cleaner for over two hours and still was not clean. I am not sure what is on the underneath the stone but it sure does not want to come off and I am sure we we will end up removing hte stone to get it clean. Many times, we have to rotate from acetone, lacqure cleaner and the Oakite cleaner to try to get the diamond back to its' sparkly self. We suggest leaving some "clean out" area for us to be able to get under the stone for maxium brillance.

I know that many people are not liking the pesimestic view on outcome of Kbarro's ring. Time will tell but I have invested over $300,000 in state of the art equipment to keep from having bad outcomes. In today's time, if a Jeweler can not show you a Pre-picture of your finished and is going hand carve the piece, you are not going to get the fine finished piece that most people want today. All the underneath work is not going to come out doing it by hand and this is exactly what happen to Ms. Garnerranch. I feel the rejected ring was an extremely good attempt of doing it by hand but in this particular piece, the end results will not be the same. I know because we tried several years ago to do it by hand by a true master with over 40 years expierence and we ended junking the effort. In a ring that is going to worn everyday for the rest of your life, I really don't feel that settling for something that you are not 100% in love with, is what most people will want. I hope you are extremely happy with whatever you end up with but I speak from both expierence and the frustration of trying to do it by hand. Believe me, if you could get the outcome by the best people in our industry by hand, I would have saved a whole bunch of money. I could make a list of the Big name brand ring manufactures use the same equipment that i have and that's the difference. I suggest to have them show similar quality rings that they have manufactured. If they say they can do, have them show the quality. I make rings one at a time and usually have them ready in a week to 10 days, all made for your diamond and your hand. No guess work and no excuses.

Best to everyone,
Dan Dement

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock

Well, I got to go spend the weekend in New Orleans and I got to see the cast of my ring!!!! I was only supposed to see a wax, but they went ahead and cast it, so I got to see it instead of just a wax!

1.gif
It is more perfect than I thought it could ever be and all of my fears of having a custom ring made were put to the side! I have a few differences in mine...mine was made to have a round halo, where yours is more "squared off" and the side that holds the graduated diamonds is not as wide as yours is, which I kind of wish it was wider, but it is still so beautiful!!!! It also looks a little small b/c it was a size 6.5 and I wear a 7 1/4, so it looks like it is squishing my finger. I love both of them so much and could not have gotten this beautiful of a ring without yours as inspiration. They are going to set the diamonds this week and resize it, but I won''t be able to go and pick it up for another 2 weeks b/c I am in school in Alabama and have finals this week. Something to look forward to I guess....

Here are some pictures! I don''t know how to post them all at once, so they will be in seperate posts.

reduced ring pic 1.JPG

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
The view of the top

reduced ring pic 2.JPG

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
I have one more question for you... What did Dan say about wearing your band next to this ring. I already have my band and when my jeweler heard me talking about wearing it next to this ring, he discouraged it so that they would not scratch each other. I didn''t know what you do about wearing your ring and your band together and if you have had any problems. Thanks!

Jypsie

Shiny_Rock
Oh my gawd!! This ring is beyond amazing!! Yes, I''m totally green with envy!!

Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!! Way to go sweetie! I want to keep seeing pics of this one... with a ring liike tht you should have a photographer follow you around to get shots everyehre. :)

30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Dear Kbarro,

I am very happy that you love your ring! All that matters is that you like it!

Best of wishes and Be happy.

Dan

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Kbarro,

You asked a question about a flush band. I started a very similar ring on Thursday which has a straight flush band in a similar type style. I hope to have it finished by Friday but here is a copy of the Render.

Dan

TifLegVer2 -- 4 Pane.jpg

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Kbarro,

Enclosed is a picture of the resin.

Dan

Tiff Leg Rev1 Resin.jpg

tradergirl

Brilliant_Rock
Dan: Could that ring (like Ms. Garner''s) be made with an oval stone?

MoonWater

Ideal_Rock
Wow, Stone Oak Jewelers have some amazing looking stuff. I especially love that you get to see video of the piece before work is started. It really gives you a good feel for the final product. I really hope I like the second attempt at my custom ring, if not, I know where to go! I absolutely loath bulky rings and I'm getting a copy of the Legacy as well.

StoneOakDan

Rough_Rock
Ms. Trader Girl,

No Problem! What size stone are you considering or do you have? Do you want the Cushion Style top? We make the ring to fit the diamond and your finger and do everything in house. WE cast palladium & platinum all inhouse. I happen to love Ovals and have several really nice ones. The Diamonds that have Very Small bow ties (they all have some) is what I really like and I buy every 2.60-2.99 nice cut Oval that I can find. Give me an idea of what you want and I can have a design ready in a few days. If you want to call me, I am going to out most of Tuesday but you can always reach me on my cell.

Dan Dement
210 262 6608 cell

nebe

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa, talk about service
face20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results