shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany Inspired Legacy with graduated side stones

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
I have been "lurking" on this forum for months and it has REALLY helped me tremendously. Now that I am honing in on my final product (my ring will be finished soon!), I thought I would share what I''ve learned to help others out who want something similar. I have actually been married for quite some time, and my ring was a custom set family diamond that went back 4 generations in my family. It was a 1.5 carat stone, antique, beautiful and more sentimental than I can express. So imagine my heartbreak when I went out to do chores outside (I never take my rings off) and later discovered my entire ring had slipped off my finger in the freezing cold, and I hadn''t noticed until it was long gone. I have really searched... but to no avail (no doubt it made a tastey snack for our livestock, *sigh*). That is another story, as is my bout with the insurance company! To make a long story shorter however, I will just focus on the search for the replacement ring.

My original ring was a one of a kind, so it was quite suprising to me that when I searched for new settings and stones, I kept coming back to the ornate legacy setting at Tiffany''s. I even went to try it on. What I LOVED about this setting was its understated elegance- pure class! It somehow achieved the balance of being ornate and delicate at the same time. It was so light! I also did a lot of research on diamond cuts and pricing, but I will not go into that here either... I think there is plenty written on it already. As it relates to this discussion, the patented diamond on this ring was pretty, but it was more the totality of the ring that I fell in love with, not the step cut cushion itself. However, I was not getting fully reimbursed by my insurance company for the amount they were happily taking premiums on for years and at the same time I am not wanting to downgrade diamond size or quality for my replacement, since that would seem like adding insult to injury in this situation. Although I did try on a 1.3 carat fancy legacy at Tiffanys and I thought the ring overall was just beautiful and I would not have felt like I settled at all, the $30,000 price tag made that not so much of an impulse buy. (In order to get a comparable size to the stone I had, albeit a much better quality from Tiffany I was quoted $47,000! And the option to downgrade in quality was not available from Tiffanys, since this ring is in such short supply). So I decided to have a ring "inspired" by this one created (e.g. a replica) as the blue box was 100% unimportant to me, and I don''t buy diamonds for resale; I buy them to wear and enjoy. I did find a company that advertised they could do this for a very reasonable price. I kept looking and looking for a photo of this setting on line, and all I ever came up with was the simple legacy, or stock photos, no hand shots or examples by custom jewelers of the Legacy with Graduated Side Stones (aka "ornate" or "Fancy") which I much preferred to the simple one because the aethetics appealed much more to me, as well as the fact that it seems more unique.

So I worked with this jeweler to create it. I have attached a picture here of their product. As you all can see, this ring is HUGE and has lots of BLING (they certainly didn''t skimp on the diamonds- size or quality. The quality met with my approval and the company was extremely nice to deal with. That being said, this ring is very different from the ring I tried on at Tiffanys. It was much bulkier and flashier than what I had in mind. I was reminded that if I had been able to see a picture in advance, I would have picked up on the nuances of scale and proportion, and I would have gone a different route. I do want to emphasize that this company was very gracious with me and they have really stood behind their return policy. They were sorry that were not able to achieve my vision. They also felt that it was as delicate and detailed of a product as they were capable of making, so in good conscience they would be happy to refund my money. I have attached a picture here of the ring they created on my hand, since I intend this to be a helpful post for those looking to re-create a ring similarly inspired. I will not name the company, because I do not intend to discredit them in any way- they have been a pleasure to work with and have been professional in every way. I will say however that I have since learned that when rings are hand made (versus rendered on a computer and cast) it is extremely difficult to achieve the demure scale and pin point precision which I believe this setting calls for, whicvh is exactly what I was looking for. I am not saying it is impossible to make by hand at all. Surely I am no expert. But this is what I have experienced. So needless to say I returned the ring and went back to the drawing board again. Afterall, you don''t buy these things everyday and I viewed this as my one shot at getting the ring of my dreams, or forever hold my peace. I will post the sequel to this saga in a commentary to follow.

IMG_1578.JPG

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
Part 2 of the saga to create this Legacy ring with graduated side stone (with new empahsis on scale and proportion):

I wandered back into a local jeweler''s store in Texas that had some beautiful rings on display. They had originally told me about their process for creating a ring, which appealed to me, and drew me back to see them after I returned the ring previously pictured. They create the ring on a computer and show you the design from multiple views. They then create a rendering and send it to you electronically. With your approaval they grow a wax mold of the ring, which you can try on. At any time you can give feedback for changes. After you have tried on the ring in wax on your finger and all agree this is what you had in mind, then they create the ring. I have attached a picture of my wax mold and I am THRILLED! They really got the scale right. Having seen their custom-made rings in person, I am very confident that this is going to be just right.

After discussion, we did make a few adjustments to the design I should note. Also, I need to make it clear that the wax ring is extremely fragile and somewhat sticky, so I did actually break this one accidentally in a few places. (I think they expect this, because they have two made actually, and sent the broken one home with me- to my delight). Anyway, we went with a round ideal cut diamond with a cushion top rather than a cushion cut stone for two reasons: more brilliance and apparently these stones have a larger diameter per carat weight, so essentially it appears you get more than you pay for (or less than you pay for with the cushion cuts- depending on your view of the world). They did however design the ring to appear more square with the halo shape, which met the overall aesthetics I was looking for. Additionally, although I really love the look of a bezel-set diamond, this jeweler informed me that the bezel sets are near impossible to keep the diamonds clean over the years (they are difficult to clean around the diamond to remove hand lotion, dirt, etc) and so inevitably, your stone will appear less brilliant over the years. Since I saw some of his halos with prong settings, I saw that he could do this with such small prongs and in such a way that the prongs really weren''t very noticable and they were so close to the halo that it took on the appearance of a bezel setting. Plus he said the prong would set the stone up slightly which would allow more light to refract back, thereby increasing its brilliance. Like I said, he had a lot of examples in front of me, and I felt good about this having seen it, rather than just taking his word for it. (I guess I am what you call a visual learner). A final note on the prongs- the wax ring pitcured shows the prongs much taller than they will be when finished, to allow the setter to have something to work with. And I broke a prong off of the wax model when pulling it off my finger- so delicate! Also, we both agreed to square off the bottom of the ring so it will flip around less on my finger. So this makes my ring Tiffany inspired, not a replica (but folks, I tried it on and this is pretty darn close to the real deal with all of the details and quality for less than half the price).

I will be sure and update this post with the pictures of my ring when it is completed, along with general information about pricing and the jeweler if there is interest. I promised myself that I would put an image of this ring on the web when it was all said and done, sine it was such an elusive photo for me, other than the stock photos Tiffanys provides on its website (which are great by the way) but do little to demonstrate scale, which in the end, was a deal breaker for me.

Good luck everyone in your quest to compromise nothing and create a ring that you will love as much as your grandchild will, one day!

IMG_1598.JPG

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I am really amazed that the first jeweler made you a custom ring and then did not require you to keep it! That really says a lot about them in a positive light! It looks really pretty, but I see what you mean about wanting it more delicate. This is one reason why custom is so scary. It is a big commitment and most jewelers aren''t just going to let you out with no financial cost. You were very lucky to get out of that! I''ll look forward to seeing your finished ring!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aw, I am so sorry that you lost your ring, I am sure that you were very upset!

The custom ring is beautiful, but I can see where it might not be as delicate as you would like...it really is a gorgeous ring, though! And wow to the jeweler for agreeing to refund you!

The wax looks like it will turn into a gorgeous ring...I look forward to seeing the completed ring!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
im so sorry about your original ring and i cant wait to see your final product!!!

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
I really can''t say enough nice things about the first jeweler. They were great to work with. They are an online jeweler and Tiffany Replica jewelry is really their thing. So if anyone sees the first pic and this fits your bill, by all means let me know and I will recommend the company to you. Their return policy is 100% refund on diamond center stone, 70% refund on Tiffany replica setting (so they do not incur costs with the return). It was very fair and I knew this up front. In fact, if it weren''t for the return policy to begin with I would not have ordered from an online company.

Interestingly, my local jeweler also says if you don''t like the ring he will never stick you with it. In fact, I viewed a few rings in his case where the customer changed their minds and he ended up keeping it. It is comforting to know there are poeple that demostrate integrity through their business practices. I would definitely understand why it would be difficult to accept a return on a custom ring, but probably these jewelers found that the word of mouth referral benefits of the stellar customer service balances out the costs of the occasional return. Which in turn is exactly why I am here writing these reviews. They earned it!

Thanks for your kind words you all. I will keep you posted on the final product.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about losing your heirloom diamond
8.gif

I like the setting you posted although I can see that it does look a little heavier than the Tiff one.

Good luck with round 2 and looking forward to the pics!

a

BlueJeans

Shiny_Rock
That is such a pretty wax, I can''t wait to see the final product!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Sorry to hear about your family stone. However, I''m looking forward to seeing the second finished ring! The wax looks great!

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
The company I worked with on the first ring was Excel Diamonds at www.exceldiamonds.com . They recently read the thread and gave permission to post their name.

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
Here is my finished ring! It took 2 weeks for them to design and complete it! The pictures aren''t great, but the ring is BEAUTIFUL!!!! I am a size 5 finger. The center stone is 1.47 ct round ideal cut. I love this ring. i am going to attach a lot more pics, but I will do it as sperate replies, becasue i haven''t been able to figure out how to attach multiple pics to one post. The custom jeweler was Stone Oak Jewelers in San Antonio Texas: www.stoneoakjewelers.com. They were AWESOME! (And very fair prices too). I would highly recommend them to anyone.

stoneoaklegacy1.JPG

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks beautiful! I am sure it was worth the wait!!!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Wowzers!! That is gorgeous!
30.gif
10.gif
30.gif

I am glad that it worked out perfectly for you this time. Congrats!

emilina22

Brilliant_Rock
wow its so pretty and it looks huge like monster huge i love it!!!

Isabelle

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2008 11:47:03 AM
Author:gardnerranch
I have been ''lurking'' on this forum for months and it has REALLY helped me tremendously. Now that I am honing in on my final product (my ring will be finished soon!), I thought I would share what I''ve learned to help others out who want something similar. I have actually been married for quite some time, and my ring was a custom set family diamond that went back 4 generations in my family. It was a 1.5 carat stone, antique, beautiful and more sentimental than I can express. So imagine my heartbreak when I went out to do chores outside (I never take my rings off) and later discovered my entire ring had slipped off my finger in the freezing cold, and I hadn''t noticed until it was long gone. I have really searched... but to no avail (no doubt it made a tastey snack for our livestock, *sigh*). That is another story, as is my bout with the insurance company! To make a long story shorter however, I will just focus on the search for the replacement ring.

My original ring was a one of a kind, so it was quite suprising to me that when I searched for new settings and stones, I kept coming back to the ornate legacy setting at Tiffany''s. I even went to try it on. What I LOVED about this setting was its understated elegance- pure class! It somehow achieved the balance of being ornate and delicate at the same time. It was so light! I also did a lot of research on diamond cuts and pricing, but I will not go into that here either... I think there is plenty written on it already. As it relates to this discussion, the patented diamond on this ring was pretty, but it was more the totality of the ring that I fell in love with, not the step cut cushion itself. However, I was not getting fully reimbursed by my insurance company for the amount they were happily taking premiums on for years and at the same time I am not wanting to downgrade diamond size or quality for my replacement, since that would seem like adding insult to injury in this situation. Although I did try on a 1.3 carat fancy legacy at Tiffanys and I thought the ring overall was just beautiful and I would not have felt like I settled at all, the $30,000 price tag made that not so much of an impulse buy. (In order to get a comparable size to the stone I had, albeit a much better quality from Tiffany I was quoted $47,000! And the option to downgrade in quality was not available from Tiffanys, since this ring is in such short supply). So I decided to have a ring ''inspired'' by this one created (e.g. a replica) as the blue box was 100% unimportant to me, and I don''t buy diamonds for resale; I buy them to wear and enjoy. I did find a company that advertised they could do this for a very reasonable price. I kept looking and looking for a photo of this setting on line, and all I ever came up with was the simple legacy, or stock photos, no hand shots or examples by custom jewelers of the Legacy with Graduated Side Stones (aka ''ornate'' or ''Fancy'') which I much preferred to the simple one because the aethetics appealed much more to me, as well as the fact that it seems more unique.

So I worked with this jeweler to create it. I have attached a picture here of their product. As you all can see, this ring is HUGE and has lots of BLING (they certainly didn''t skimp on the diamonds- size or quality. The quality met with my approval and the company was extremely nice to deal with. That being said, this ring is very different from the ring I tried on at Tiffanys. It was much bulkier and flashier than what I had in mind. I was reminded that if I had been able to see a picture in advance, I would have picked up on the nuances of scale and proportion, and I would have gone a different route. I do want to emphasize that this company was very gracious with me and they have really stood behind their return policy. They were sorry that were not able to achieve my vision. They also felt that it was as delicate and detailed of a product as they were capable of making, so in good conscience they would be happy to refund my money. I have attached a picture here of the ring they created on my hand, since I intend this to be a helpful post for those looking to re-create a ring similarly inspired. I will not name the company, because I do not intend to discredit them in any way- they have been a pleasure to work with and have been professional in every way. I will say however that I have since learned that when rings are hand made (versus rendered on a computer and cast) it is extremely difficult to achieve the demure scale and pin point precision which I believe this setting calls for, whicvh is exactly what I was looking for. I am not saying it is impossible to make by hand at all. Surely I am no expert. But this is what I have experienced. So needless to say I returned the ring and went back to the drawing board again. Afterall, you don''t buy these things everyday and I viewed this as my one shot at getting the ring of my dreams, or forever hold my peace. I will post the sequel to this saga in a commentary to follow.

Gardnerranch, you new ring is beautiful. I like it MUCH better than the first ring that was made for you, and I think in light of the halo thread, you hit the nail right on the head. What better way to show the difference than the side by side rings you had made? I will say though that I have been told that Tiffany craftsmen do make each Legacy ring custom for each stone. I am sure though that while there are handmade aspects to it, they also use wax castings to get it just right. My guess is the wax is cast to fit the stone. Some artisans are just better at creating jewelry than others. By way of example, do you ever watch the Gem Shopping Network? They employ a stone cutter named Sean who just is a better cutter than other stone cutters. He has won awards and accolades for his work. I think it is just something that either an artist has or they don''t. Your second ring is gorgeous and shows how a great craftsman can make a great ring.
36.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful ring - just gorgeous!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! It looks great with your band as well, congrats!

LegacyGirl

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!

kbarro1

Shiny_Rock
Gardnerranch, your ring is fantastic!!!! Everything that I have been looking for in a wring. I was wondering if you can tell me the diamond weight in the setting and how much it cost to get it custom made if you don''t mind telling me that info. also if it is white gold or platinum. I am currently getting quotes on having this custom made for myself and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to compare my quote with your fantastic ring! Thanks!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
WOW! It''s gorgeous!
REally stunning on your hand!

Love your band too!
30.gif

mskatee

Rough_Rock
Gorgeous! Congratulations!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
Wow, how pretty and that''s HUGE!!

gardnerranch

Rough_Rock
kbarro1, I don't mind sharing about specs and pricing... I've been there, so I get it. The center stone is a 1.47 CT ideal cut diamond. As you know, you can pay pretty much whatever you want for a diamond, depending on quality- but I think you were asking about the cost for the custom setting. The setting is platinum, the detail is better than the pictures show... really. It ran me $3,500 at Stone Oak Jewelers, which I thought was a very fair price (a little under the cost for my first setting). The custom eternity diamond wedding band was $1,500. start to finish, I think it took only two weeks.

I would HIGHLY RECOMMEND you call and speak with Dan at Stone Oak Jewelers (800-687-1771) and give him an idea about what you are looking for in a center stone and he can give you a price for exactly what you want. Also, I am sure he could mail you the wax mold and you could "try it on" before they cast it, if you are too far to drive! They were so awesome to work with and they were very honest as well. I know he would not lead you astray. FYI- google their company name and you can find a vey thorough thrid party write up about this family-run company and the technology they use on the bling blog.

Good luck! :)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring, and great story behind it. I''m so impressed with your jeweler for their perseverence and amazing customer service...you''ve been really fortunate!

Enjoy your new ring!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results