shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany CUT (round brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
If you are going to tell me not to buy tiffany because i could get a better diamond for less elswhere, save your time.

How to tiffany diamonds stack up in terms of cut?
I cant imagine they wouldn''t be well cut (I know it varies per stone) but any additional information would be helpful, thanks!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t really know per se, but I did go to Tiff''s last week for fun and tried on a bunch of stones. Their rounds didn''t sparkle as much as my friend''s round from a PS vendor, even under the special lights in the store.

I do think that it is much easier to buy there than other places because they do have a minimum expectation for their stones, so they won''t sell just anything. So for the non-educated diamond consumer, they are a great place to be because you are more likely to get a quality stone than in many other B&M where they carry a wider array of stuff.

If you''re looking for sparkle, you can do better IMO.

But their settings are gorgeous...so if you have your heart set on a Tiffany setting, especially one of the more complex ones, you should get the original.

Hope that helps!!!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:33:34 PM
Author:pinkie621

you could get a better diamond for less elsewhere

2.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:44:17 PM
Author: belle

2.gif
9.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:33:34 PM
Author:pinkie621
If you are going to tell me not to buy tiffany because i could get a better diamond for less elswhere, save your time.

I cant imagine they wouldn''t be well cut (I know it varies per stone) but any additional information would be helpful, thanks!
Here is all of the info on a tiffany diamond I looked at last autumn. I didn''t post the info until later - but it has all of the specs (you can ''see'' the cut for yourself) and the price and all the stats... FTR it was NOT H&A cut but I didn''t mention that in the thread. I don''t know that I prefer H&A though....

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/tiffany-diamond.54092/

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
Thank you!

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I asked my appraiser nearly the same question and her response was" "A Tiffany ering ring without the Tiffany name on it would appraise for around 30% less than it was purchased for." That was all the answer I needed.

ebonykawai

Shiny_Rock
If you go on Ebay and look for Tiffany erings, a lot of sellers will have pictures of the certificate. You can usually see the whole diamond diagram and stats, if you want to get an idea. They usually seem like pretty good cuts, though a few I''ve seen were not cuts I would choose. I myself was craving a Tiffany & Co. for a long time, but I''ll never, never, NEVER afford one so...meh.
20.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I looked at them in real life and I wasn''t that impressed with the diamonds after seeing superideal cut diamonds (Hearts and Arrows, Hearts on Fire, etc.) in real life. I also tried on a Legacy ring with a 1.6 carat center diamond and it cost about 4 times as much as my similar setting with a 1.5 carat center diamond of the same color/clarity quality.

So...if the name is important enough to you (and to some people it is) then go for it, but if you''re more neutral on the name I would take my money elsewhere and get more bang for my buck!

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Ok, not always a huge Tiffany fan, but I have to give my honest opinion here (so don't flame me for it!):

A Tiffany diamond is one of the highest quality cuts in the range of market stones. I am not saying on Ps, because this is not at all representative of the market. Sadly, the market will include some real uglies with above 60 depths, etc... the standards on a TCO diamond are fairly strict, considering a few things. They will only allow D-I colors, and FL to VS2 stones for engagement rings. As such, many of these stones are rare inthemselves, and when you have a stone of higher color and clarity, you need to cut it well in order to sell it well. So when TCO buys these stones from 3rd party vendors, they will not be cutting them badly. Plus they grade each stone to determine cut standards, which they DO have. Now that GIA has cut grades, I know that TCo will be making sure their stones fall within the GIA standards of Excellent cut. Even very good is not generally accepted unless over 3cts. Granted their ranges are wider than stones here on PS. But they cut and buy stones to look good. PSers buy stones to "perform", which means tests and analyzing and versus the overall appearance being sufficient, as in TCo.'s stones.

No offense, but don't get dissuaded by the hype of H&A. I am personally not a fan of the look. To me, they are far too precise and lose that sort of mess of sparkle you get hyponotized by, when all you see are the perfectly formed arrows... it's the difference between frosted glass doors and perfectly clean glass doors. A matter of preference to me... (clearly I like frosted glass doors)
28.gif

In the end, what did you want for an e-ring? A well cut diamond with name and beautiful setting craftsmanship? Did you want a H&A diamond that perfroms to all the tests and has a very specific determined cut quality with a sturdy and customizeable setting from anyone else? What is the look YOU like? Did you want the name and feel of TCO, because if that's the case, their diamonds are by no means horrible (just to those who are accustomed to the cuts of the vendors here on PS!)
28.gif
If you actually saw what was in the industry, you would see that Tiffany's diamonds are the top 5% perhaps, and then PS stones would be the top 1-2%. Based on settings for stones, quality, and look and feel of them, I am confident that the majority of people would find TCO would have some of the best (or they would not be replicated quite so often) and again they withstand the test of time, and pricing.

based on resale alone: Try selling your ring later on... The diamond would be more valuable in a TCo setting than out. A non-branded setting would not sell the same, and subject to taste in look and quality, so your PS stones, would likely be unset from whatever mounting you so laboriously worked to get. Rare is the case where the TCo ring would be unset, and usually the Tiffany LOOK is what people end up buying. The simplicity is universal and the quality upholds that.

Are there others whose settings are better, SURE! But on the average, you won't find cast settings with the same sort of smoothness and feel. Again, look at the industry on a whole, and not just the very diamond specific PS. personally, I would put my money in for a Leon Mege piece before a TCO piece, but that's a different look as well....

So, good that you are here. You can get a great array of amazingly cut (possibly larger) stones in the super rare 1-2%, perhaps compromise in the setting, perhaps not (depending on your taste as well), or you can go to TCO and get a well cut stone, a well (and often replicated) design that will have with it the name and recognition most TCo customers enjoy. But what is it worth to you, and are you will to pay for it? Know what you are sacrificing both ways...

Good luck!

pinkie621

Rough_Rock
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful response!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/13/2007 7:49:21 PM
Author: Ellen

Date: 3/13/2007 7:44:17 PM
Author: belle

2.gif
9.gif
Love it!!
9.gif

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW, I know one of their suppliers, and this particular manufacturer specializes in ideal cut stones.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a thread somewhere about someone who brought in an ACA from WF and compared it to a couple of tiffany diamonds. Anyone remember this and can post the thread?

prberg

Rough_Rock
Well this issue seems to be talked about alot...with options on both sides of the issue.

I recently went through this decision and went with a Tiffany ring. Their diamonds are quite nice... but I really liked the whole package (setting, diamond, service, quality). I had been to some other B&M shops and they presented me diamonds that were much lower quality than Tiffanys. But as others have said here... better diamonds can be found for less money if you shop online. In the end it''s up to you regarding your budget and what you think is the nicest ring for you (or your loved one).

-Peter B

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I also don''t like the H&A look. I like sparkle in my diamonds, not some shape that I can identify. It just doesn''t appeal to me. I have a T&Co. ring and I looked all over the diamond district in NYC and all over a bunch of retailers. I mainly bought it for the style of the setting - clean and classic. Tiffany diamonds are very high quality, and I''m sure there are other high quality diamonds out there too.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 7:12:40 PM
Author: winternight
I also don''t like the H&A look. I like sparkle in my diamonds, not some shape that I can identify. It just doesn''t appeal to me. I have a T&Co. ring and I looked all over the diamond district in NYC and all over a bunch of retailers. I mainly bought it for the style of the setting - clean and classic. Tiffany diamonds are very high quality, and I''m sure there are other high quality diamonds out there too.
My ring is a H&A and sparkles like mad. Big chunky ones at that!
18.gif

Honestly, I can''t EVER see all the arrows at once in real life, I may catch a glimpse of a few at most, and they''re silvery in the midst of much brilliance.
30.gif
Or, in the right lighting, I''ll again catch a part of some, or a few, shooting off bold flashes of fire.

Just wanted to clarify that the static images we see on here (pics) are nothing like what they look like in real life.

And I''m sure Tiffany carries some great stones, they just carry a hefty premium.
1.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 7:12:40 PM
???? I wonder if you''ve actually seen H&A???? I''m with Ellen- I catch wonderful silvery glimpses of arrows, but not super often. It has to be the right type of lighting. It''s not like you''re staring down at big black arrows all day. Nothing but sparkles baby
30.gif
And being ridiculously type A, I don''t mind a little symmetry in my sparkle personally.

tanalasta

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Just like Cartier or any other B&M stores the quality of their diamonds vary.

They need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some will be fantastic ideal cut sparklers and some will be more average stones. They are generally cut better than the ''crap'' at some other B&M chains (e.g. they''re not ''good'' or horrible cuts with lots and lots of assymetry or light leakage) but not many of their stones are ''super ideal''.

So in short, they''re "well" cut but so is a "very good" GIA stone... or something on the borderline of "excellent / VG". There''s quite some variation.

If you want a specifically ''ideal'' cut you''ll have to ask the salesperson or evaluate the rings using an idealscope or appraiser.

It''s a pity Tiffany don''t let you set your own stone like Cartier do.

alamb

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/14/2007 10:05:00 PM
Author: tanalasta

They need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some will be fantastic ideal cut sparklers and some will be more average stones. They are generally cut better than the ''crap'' at some other B&M chains (e.g. they''re not ''good'' or horrible cuts with lots and lots of assymetry or light leakage) but not many of their stones are ''super ideal''.

So in short, they''re ''well'' cut but so is a ''very good'' GIA stone... or something on the borderline of ''excellent / VG''. There''s quite some variation.

If you want a specifically ''ideal'' cut you''ll have to ask the salesperson or evaluate the rings using an idealscope or appraiser.

It''s a pity Tiffany don''t let you set your own stone like Cartier do.
Tanalasta - Cartier doesn''t let you set your own stone either, I wish they did!

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 7:21:59 AM
Author: alamb

Date: 3/14/2007 10:05:00 PM
Author: tanalasta

They need to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. Some will be fantastic ideal cut sparklers and some will be more average stones. They are generally cut better than the 'crap' at some other B&M chains (e.g. they're not 'good' or horrible cuts with lots and lots of assymetry or light leakage) but not many of their stones are 'super ideal'.

So in short, they're 'well' cut but so is a 'very good' GIA stone... or something on the borderline of 'excellent / VG'. There's quite some variation.

If you want a specifically 'ideal' cut you'll have to ask the salesperson or evaluate the rings using an idealscope or appraiser.

It's a pity Tiffany don't let you set your own stone like Cartier do.
Tanalasta - Cartier doesn't let you set your own stone either, I wish they did!

This is not true https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cartier-will-set-non-cartier-stones.56494/

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve seen H&A stones when I was looking around - just not a fan, honestly I couldn''t see what the big deal was about. I thought I could see some sharp angles in the cut - like the arrows or whatever. But if you love it great - I think everyone should love their e-ring. Everyone has different tastes and personally I prefer my Tiffany ring, although I liked Cartier too. I saw some nice rings in other shops as well but nothing that really spoke ''classic'' too me.

Kelkel

Rough_Rock
First, I''m not here to change your mind and I agree with Nicrez that TCO diamonds are probably around top 5% in terms of cut, and PS users on average buy top 1-2% cut diamonds. I''m sure you will be happy with a TCO product.

I once thought about buying a Tiffany ring and then I guess I was "converted" by the PS community. If I had decided to buy the TCO one, given my budget, it would be pretty easy and probably be done in an hour or two at most. I called them, told them my budget, and realized that there were not many choices. I''d basically have to go I/VS2 (the lowest color and clarity grade they carry) to get a .76ct in the TCO setting, and would have to wait for them to ship to a TCO store for viewing and purchase. And for diamonds under 1.00ct, I would only get TCO''s own lab report, which contains not much information

I read more online, mostly on PS, and found out there is a large selection of diamonds and vendors of top cut quality diamonds, including H&As. My fiancee thought TCO was good because she heard TCO diamonds are well cut and therefore shiny. I read more and found that there exists a higher-level of cut that requires the best craftmanship (at least for RB) , and that is H&A. And browsing the large selection, looking exclusively at H&A diamonds, I found that my budget allowed me to get a branded H&A online, over 1ct. I also read about the color/clarity tradeoff preference. I ended up buying a 1.04ct H/SI1 H&A, in a custom setting, after many many hours of online research. The ring I received is beautiful.

My fiancee appreciates a lot abouf the efforts I put in to find her a diamond and ring. I am also glad that I got a 1ct because a .76ct would probably look too small, even though her finger is small. I''m sure if I bought the TCO she would still be happy, but I''m don''t think she would be happier. I told her that for the same money I could have got a .76ct TCO and she''s happy with my decision.

In the end it''s not the ring, but the person presenting it. (I am not sure whether you''re choosing an e-ring, however).

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever... and this will sound somewhat flagrant - but it''s purely honest only.

When I was dating, and I''d meet a woman that said they wanted anything from Tiffany''s - I''d pretty much automatically think they were an idiot and marvel at how "romantic" or "exclusive" some corporation that''s traded on the New York Stock Exchange made their name.

Nobody ever knows if something was bought at Tiffany''s - and I''d say the consensus in this world is that if you bought something from Tiffany''s .... you little blue box is proof of getting duped.

For the life of me, I can''t understand on any level whatsoever - what is so great about buying what is basically a commodity, from a particular retailer? I wouldn''t buy a BMW from one dealership at a 30% markup for any reason .... why would I buy precious stones and metals from one?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 11:25:02 PM
Author: LuciferSam
I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever... and this will sound somewhat flagrant - but it's purely honest only.

When I was dating, and I'd meet a woman that said they wanted anything from Tiffany's - I'd pretty much automatically think they were an idiot and marvel at how 'romantic' or 'exclusive' some corporation that's traded on the New York Stock Exchange made their name.

Nobody ever knows if something was bought at Tiffany's - and I'd say the consensus in this world is that if you bought something from Tiffany's .... you little blue box is proof of getting duped.

For the life of me, I can't understand on any level whatsoever - what is so great about buying what is basically a commodity, from a particular retailer? I wouldn't buy a BMW from one dealership at a 30% markup for any reason .... why would I buy precious stones and metals from one?
I am not a huge fan of Tiffany but I like some of their things.

If 2 places are selling BMWs brand new and one has their cars marked up 30%, of course you would choose the other, cheaper dealer. However, they are both still BMWs. You can not go to another jewelry shop and get a Tiffany Legacy. Or some of their other unique things. You can get a replica, though in the case of the Legacy, there will be a substantial difference because Tiffany has a patent on the Legacy cut. So with the BMW analogy, we are comparing apples to apples. In the case of a Tiffany ring vs. a non-Tiffany ring, we are not. The two are not exactly the same. There are cheaper brands of cars that are marketed as affordable luxury but they are not BMWs.

That doesn't mean that I see anything wrong with going the non-Tiffany route. In the case of their solataires for instance, very few people would ever know the difference if you got a good copy.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I have to agree with Jazmine. Certainly there are cheaper places to buy diamonds than Tiffany's, but they do have some lovely and unique settings and jewelry that you can't find anywhere else. And in many cases they aren't any more expensive than some of the other branded designer rings out there. If Pinkie wants a diamond from Tiffany's then that's a personal decision and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/13/2007 10:09:53 PM
Author: thing2of2
I looked at them in real life and I wasn''t that impressed with the diamonds after seeing superideal cut diamonds (Hearts and Arrows, Hearts on Fire, etc.) in real life. I also tried on a Legacy ring with a 1.6 carat center diamond and it cost about 4 times as much as my similar setting with a 1.5 carat center diamond of the same color/clarity quality.

So...if the name is important enough to you (and to some people it is) then go for it, but if you''re more neutral on the name I would take my money elsewhere and get more bang for my buck!
Similar setting, same color, clarity....
But not the same cut or look!!!!

In rounds, you can get the same look....
But when it comes to their patented cuts as Lucida or Legacy..., you cant get it but at T&Co.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/15/2007 5:30:09 PM
I''ve seen H&A stones when I was looking around - just not a fan, honestly I couldn''t see what the big deal was about. I thought I could see some sharp angles in the cut - like the arrows or whatever. But if you love it great - I think everyone should love their e-ring. Everyone has different tastes and personally I prefer my Tiffany ring, although I liked Cartier too. I saw some nice rings in other shops as well but nothing that really spoke ''classic'' too me.
It doesn''t surprise me that you find fault in every ring but Tiffany any more than that you have embraced the elitism to the extent you loathe knockoffs. You, m''dear, have been tiffany twisted since the moment you arrived ;-) And I''m really happy for you that you''ve found the blue box at the end of the rainbow :)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 11:33:34 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

It doesn't surprise me that you find fault in every ring but Tiffany any more than that you have embraced the elitism to the extent you loathe knockoffs. You, m'dear, have been tiffany twisted since the moment you arrived ;-) And I'm really happy for you that you've found the blue box at the end of the rainbow :)

well said :)

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 10:38:51 AM
Author: Sundial
If Pinkie wants a diamond from Tiffany''s then that''s a personal decision and there is certainly nothing wrong with it.

I agree completely . . . Pinkie, get what makes you happy . . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results